PDA

View Full Version : Gas prices

Gussie2000
08/07/2008, 08:18 PM
Well,gas prices seems to step a few cents down,here in NYC the regular hit 4,35 in most of the gas stations.

But today while i was on break time some thing came into my mind.....

Since the regular gas were costing 4.35 two weeks ago & today you can find the premium gas (93) at 4.19 why shouldn't i keep paying the same amount for a better octane gas ?

I know that the VX engine was build to use 87,we all clear about this one,but the manufacturer didn't say "HEY ! DON"T USE PREMIUM GAS" the manufacturers only recommends car owners to use at minimum 87 octane in order for the engines to run within the specs.

We already paid 4.35 for regular gas so the question is : Is worth or isn't worth to pay 4.19 for premium even though the regular can be found at 4.05,
but you already paid 4.35 for the regular however you can pay 4.19 for the premium.

etlsport
08/07/2008, 08:39 PM
save some money and run 87.. you can run 91 or 93.. it will slightly improve your gas mileage (nullified by the fact that u paid an extra 30 cents per gallon) and give you a very slight power gain (ive noticed 1-2 hp difference between the 87 and 91 octane) but that could even be circumstantial. just save yourself the money

Gussie2000
08/07/2008, 08:58 PM
The sustancial amount of money saved is just ridiculous.

The VX gas tank holds 22.5 gallons of gas at 4.05 is $ 91.12 the premium 22.5 gallons at 4.17 $ 93.82 now have the maths done & see how much money is saved.

etlsport
08/07/2008, 09:28 PM
well your premium and regular are much closer than mine.. the local gas station here the 87 is 3.79 and the 91 is 4.18. it saves about $8.50 per tank to use 87 octane

lets say you get 17 mpg and fill your tank up with 20 gallons each time... you get 340 miles to a tank.. if you drive 15k miles a year.. you should fill up 44 times a year.. you would save yourself almost $350 a year using 87 octane

to balance the cost.. your gas mileage would have to increase by 1.8mpg (a little over a 10% increase) by using premium.. very very doubtful you will see that kind of gain

Gussie2000
08/08/2008, 04:51 AM
Oh yes for you the 87 octane works,there's also something overviewed,you might gas up you VX more time then me,i gas my VX twice a month;That's probably the difference n:rolleyes:

By the way ETLSPORT are up for the meeting july the next year some where in NY or NJ ?

Ldub
08/08/2008, 07:04 AM
If you saved $8.50 for two tanks & then found three bucks in your living room cusions...you too could have the honor of "site supporter" below your user name...:smilewink

pbkid
08/08/2008, 08:47 AM
or you could figure that higher octane would create less carbon and therefore could make your motor last longer.....
whats the difference in 3 dollars per tank??? getting the smaller starbucks in the morning? or maybe one less beer at the bar?

Gussie2000
08/08/2008, 07:50 PM
or you could figure that higher octane would create less carbon and therefore could make your motor last longer.....
whats the difference in 3 dollars per tank??? getting the smaller starbucks in the morning? or maybe one less beer at the bar?

That's right you got my point ;)

Gussie2000
08/17/2008, 07:29 AM
Yesterday i fill up with 93 octane gas high premium ( $ 4.15 )

I pay $ 83 for a full tank + the fuel cleaner bottle.The regular can be found at $ 3.89 in most of the gas station here in queens,NY & the 89 can be found at $ 4.05/4.07.

I don't know is this can be helpfull guys but what about tracking the gas price in our home towns ? :o

Riff Raff
08/18/2008, 04:07 AM
Hi Gang: As for me, I always put in Premium 93 grade in all of my personal vehicles, regardless of price. It's better on the engine, reduces detonation and most importantly, when I need to pass a semi-truck-- I need all the "rice krispies" I can get! My only stipulation about gasoline, is to never, never, never buy ARCO (it's crap).

twistedsymphony
08/18/2008, 05:15 AM
I don't know is this can be helpfull guys but what about tracking the gas price in our home towns ? :o

someone does that for you: http://gasbuddy.com/

FWIW the Irving station down the street from my house is the cheapest in the area $3.43 for regular this morning.

LittleBeast
08/18/2008, 11:34 PM
We have actually been around the $3.00 mark here in Texas recently. Just last week a new station opened up and they had a grand opening where they said that they would be have the lowest gas on the block no matter what, well the station across the street heard about it and by noon the gas was going for $2.01, that is right I typed that correct $2.01, they each sold out and had to refill the tanks on that day with lines of cars waiting. For a day those two stations were back to 2004 prices. But yeah I am happy when I see anything under $3.50 and right now we are actually back in that range. I think it was $3.45 last time I filled er up and there are some places at $3.20 right now in Houston, but they are a little too far from my house to make it worth the drive, in town $3.50 is probably average right now.

I do have to put premium in the RX8 though and it was $3.65 last time I filled up.

taylorRichie
08/19/2008, 06:56 AM
someone does that for you: http://gasbuddy.com/

FWIW the Irving station down the street from my house is the cheapest in the area $3.43 for regular this morning.

This is also built in to google maps now. If you go to the Vehicross map (my maps) and then click create new map. THen Just zoom to the area you want to find gas prices. Click show Gas Buddy prices, pop in the Zip code, and now you've got markers all over the map with gas prices included. Very handy.

Gas dipped down to $3.95 here.. you guys are lucky!