PDA

View Full Version : Large Capacity MP3 player wanted

nfpgasmask
08/04/2008, 04:02 PM
First off, let me just say that I don't want this thread to turn into another
iPod vs. everything else thread. I don't like Apple, and I hate iTunes, period, the end.

Now, what I am looking for is a large capacity MP3 player to replace my current Creative player that is only 30GB. I love my Zen Vision but I am looking for a player that is at least 100GB+. I have seen a few out there, and I really hope Creative comes out with a 160GB to compete with Apple, but I haven't seen anything new from them in a while so I am not holding my breath.

So, do any of you have any experience with larger capacity MP3 players? What's out there and what's good/bad?

Bart

workmeistr
08/04/2008, 04:16 PM
I bought an 80GB Zune and returned it in two days. The software was cumbersome and a defect put multiple copies of the same song on the player, eating bytes. It was a well-publicized error that I found all kind of information on after I bought the player. It's a shame, though, as the Toshiba? brand player (Zune player) is hands-down the best looking and best-image player. I caution you to stay away from Zune without further research.

I was a Creative (3 Creative 6GB Micros in my family) user before finally subcomming to the 80GB iPod I got after returning the Zune. iPod's have come a long way to taking music files (mp3), that you already have. I have about 140 GB of music, mostly 320 bit mp3. iPod did ignore my queries as to why my 80GB player would only take 73GB of music (OS is only about .25GB), so I am definately not an advocate for iPod...I basically settled.

taylorRichie
08/04/2008, 04:59 PM
I'd respond but I'm an apple advocate ;)

(posted from iphone)

kodiak
08/04/2008, 06:51 PM
I hate iTunes and the Zune software. There’re main function is to tether your device to one computer. Making it nearly impossible to sync with more then one system. I can see how it would help copy protected material but the lack of control over my content drives me nuts. I like the ability to manipulate my content in a normal windows environment with out needing to make some third party GUI happy.:mad:

nfpgasmask
08/04/2008, 07:25 PM
I like the ability to manipulate my content in a normal windows environment with out needing to make some third party GUI happy.:mad:

EXACTLY.

Not that I want to talk about it, but I actually have no real issue with iPods, its iTunes that keeps me away...

Bart

CrnCnn
08/05/2008, 09:46 AM
Are you mostly interested in something for the VX? I am suprised you dont build a little computer for it.

nfpgasmask
08/05/2008, 09:52 AM
Are you mostly interested in something for the VX? I am suprised you dont build a little computer for it.

Well, I am totally open to an in-dash, hard drive based MP3 player, but it has to be good and easy to use. And for that matter, if it is in dash and hard drive based, it needs to be 300+ GB for me to bite into. But yeah, I am open to that for sure.

The problem with using a PC in the car to serve all my MP3s is that it would be something that has to boot up and and all that, and unless I got voice-recog software for it, it would be a pain to navigate with in the VX. Not to mention, there isn't really any room for it. That said, I would like some sort of fold down laptop integrated into the glove box and attached to a cellular internet connection of somekind, that would be sweet. But that is also dreaming...

Bart

nfpgasmask
08/05/2008, 10:03 AM
Hmm, well this is actually pretty sweet:

http://store.mp3car.com/Mp3Car_Custom_Car_Computer_Preassembled_Systems_p/ccc-121.htm

Just need a nice touch screen and there you go....

Bart

nfpgasmask
08/05/2008, 10:11 AM
The other option I would strongly consider is a head unit that has a USB port which would allow me to connect a portable hard drive of ANY SIZE that is loaded with MP3s. I have seen a few head units that do this, but they have like a 2 GB limitation to what can be read (they are mainly used for thumb drives). What can any self respecting music addict expect to do with anything less than 30GB? I mean come on!

:) Bart

kodiak
08/05/2008, 11:25 AM
Every laptop I’ve used in a car gets engine noise thru the car power adapter it’s really annoying. a car PC with roadrunner installed and a good 7in touch screen is awesome, but it’s a big mod and there’s a lot of setup involved. You can buy a car pc power supply that puts the pc into hibernation when the cars shuts off and it brings it back up fast when it’s turned on. I’ve maid a custom roadrunner interface for my laptop I’ve been toying with the idea of installing a car PC.

nfpgasmask
08/05/2008, 11:50 AM
I just don't understand where the hell the technology is. I mean, 4 years ago, I looked into the hard drive based car stereos, and there was very little out there that was solid. So I said, no problem, I will wait until things catch up a little. Now, 4 years later and nothing. Nothing even close. Why can't someone make a head unit that has a 300GB laptop hard drive in it, an OS and a face plate for controlling MP3s? Its freakin simple! Stick a USB port on the front so you can hook up a laptop to it and transfer files, configure settings, etc. I mean, that is 100% not out of the question from a technology point of view.

Furthermore, why is iPod the only decent portable player that has busted the 100GB capacity range? WTF? I have nearly 300 GBs of MP3s and would really like at least half of my collection in the VX. So Creative has a 60 gig player now. Ohhh wow, that's not much different than 30GB! Give me a 200GB player and then we have something to talk about.

And then there are the head units with USB ports. I figure, that's sweet! Just plug in a 120GB laptop drive in an external enclosure, get it powered via my inverter, and then plug it into the USB port on the head unit. But no, they have to implement limits like 999 files or something. There is just something terribly lacking with the thinking behind the development of car media systems. Sure, 75% of the population rotates the same dozen crappy pop CDs through their players, but what about the rest of us folks who regularly enjoy a much, much bigger collection of music?

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Bart

kodiak
08/05/2008, 12:13 PM
The big problem for a long time was the size of the HD it’s self. For years the largest laptop HD you could get was 160gig. When the 200gigs came out they required more power, too much for a portable device. There were also limitations with the fat table its self, Fat32 isn’t very stable past 200gigs, and it’s very easy to corrupt. NTFS will work great but it requires more CPU power and there are compatibility issues.

ISCE
08/05/2008, 12:20 PM
I have an older Archos, just 80GB but have had no problems with it for years now. It's a full portable DVR as well, so I can mount it from the A/C vent and watch shows/movies in the VX. Battery power is still great after several years of using it. Screen and everything has held up well. The leather case has some wear as expected, and the top of the archos itself has a crack in the plastic (something that happened the first 6 mos I had it), but it's never caused any problems.

I think the new ones look much better quality, here's the latest with WiFi:
http://www.archos.com/products/gen_5/archos_705wifi/index.html?country=global&lang=en

Not sure on the price, didn't look. I paid way too much but when I bought mine years ago it was the only portable DVR and 80GB player out there that I know of.

nfpgasmask
08/05/2008, 01:34 PM
The big problem for a long time was the size of the HD it’s self. For years the largest laptop HD you could get was 160gig. When the 200gigs came out they required more power, too much for a portable device. There were also limitations with the fat table its self, Fat32 isn’t very stable past 200gigs, and it’s very easy to corrupt. NTFS will work great but it requires more CPU power and there are compatibility issues.

Hmmm, so you are saying that all my dreams are being held back by File Allocation Tables? I dunno. I suppose, but what about UFS or another Unix/Linux related file system? And so, if FAT32 isn't stable past 200GBs, where is my 120GB hard drive player? It just seems weird to me that there isn't something bigger. And for that matter, if we can have a 8GB SD card, why can we have a big fat 100GB memory stick?

I understand that hard drive capacities kind of exploded in the last 4 years, and that's just it. A terabyte of storage space was unfathomable 5 years ago for the average consumer, but now its not only available, its cheap. So in my opinion, asking for a 160GB MP3 player is resonable. :)

Bart

nfpgasmask
08/05/2008, 01:40 PM
I have an older Archos, just 80GB but have had no problems with it for years now. It's a full portable DVR as well, so I can mount it from the A/C vent and watch shows/movies in the VX. Battery power is still great after several years of using it. Screen and everything has held up well. The leather case has some wear as expected, and the top of the archos itself has a crack in the plastic (something that happened the first 6 mos I had it), but it's never caused any problems.

I think the new ones look much better quality, here's the latest with WiFi:
http://www.archos.com/products/gen_5/archos_705wifi/index.html?country=global&lang=en

Not sure on the price, didn't look. I paid way too much but when I bought mine years ago it was the only portable DVR and 80GB player out there that I know of.

I've looked at the Archos stuff. My only problem, is that I could care less about watching movies and videos on a portable device. No offense, but why the hell would I want to watch Blade Runner on a 7" screen? :rolleyes: Its just not my thing. I can understand playing video games on a portable device, but if I wanted that I would buy a PSP. So, the idea is great, but the size is a problem. I only want to play music, so I would rather it be a little smaller (like my Creative Zen). So basically I am probably asking for to much, as usual. As the capacities of these devices increase, it seems like their size does also so they can accomodate larger screens, which for me is completely useless. I think the Archos is the only media player aside from the iPod that has the 160GB capacity. And for that, they get my props, but I don't need the size. At 7"+ I might as well just bring my little Thinkpad.

EDIT: Maybe the Archos 605 might work. I need to look up the specs on that one, only 4.5" screen but still with the 160GB capacity...hmmm.

Bart

kodiak
08/05/2008, 02:02 PM
I’d prefer UFS or HPFS but you would have the same compatibility issues as with NTFS. Only a small percentage of computers are setup to read USF partitions. That would mean another iTunes like GUI to interface with it.

kodiak
08/05/2008, 02:35 PM
I think your best bet is to fined an external HD enclosure that plays mp3s.
This is one I found and I bet there are others.

http://www.egoodz.com/product.asp?pf_id=3500Tvisto300R0

nfpgasmask
08/05/2008, 02:47 PM
I think your best bet is to fined an external HD enclosure that plays mp3s.
This is one I found and I bet there are others.

http://www.egoodz.com/product.asp?pf_id=3500Tvisto300R0

Hmmm, that is actually quite cool. Would be ideal to have it hooked up in my glove box or something. I'll check into it.

Bart

kodiak
08/05/2008, 02:52 PM
There is one problem! You’ve got to keep it cool, if you don’t it won’t last a week.

Hmmm, that is actually quite cool. Would be ideal to have it hooked up in my glove box or something. I'll check into it.

Bart

nfpgasmask
08/05/2008, 02:54 PM
There is one problem! You’ve got to keep it cool, if you don’t it won’t last a week.

LOL, well, that won't work here in Reno! And looking at it further, looks like it will need some sort of display. At this point I think I am just going to wait for Creative to update their stuff. I'm sure they will come out with a decent large capacity player eventually. What I have now only bigger would be super cool.

Bart

kodiak
08/07/2008, 03:40 PM
A friend of mine was telling me about a utility you could use instead of iTunes called X-play, it looks pretty cool.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XPlay

kodiak
11/06/2008, 06:30 PM
I found my next VX upgrade. This thing is incredible!

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=572&language=en

nfpgasmask
11/07/2008, 08:43 AM
I found my next VX upgrade. This thing is incredible!

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=572&language=en

Interesting. I still cannot figure out why no one has made a hard drive based, pull out car stereo that you can dock to your PC and load up with files. It seems like a nobrainer to me.

Bart

etlsport
11/07/2008, 09:27 AM
Interesting. I still cannot figure out why no one has made a hard drive based, pull out car stereo that you can dock to your PC and load up with files. It seems like a nobrainer to me.

Bart

rockford fosgate has this...
http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-DMP1-DWL12-Wireless-Digital/dp/B000ARG3OA

i think i remember seeeing something meant more specifically just for the car that was similar.. i think it was rockford fosgate too but not sure

edit..

here is the kit i was thinking of
http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-DMP1-Jukebox-Digital/dp/B000931HZA

nfpgasmask
11/07/2008, 11:47 AM
here is the kit i was thinking of
http://www.amazon.com/Rockford-Fosgate-DMP1-Jukebox-Digital/dp/B000931HZA

Yeah, I remember that thing...on the right track, but 20GB only???

Bart

kodiak
11/07/2008, 02:15 PM
That’s a cool little setup, the ipod kind of put a stop to that idea.