PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to Gatorback - faded cladding solutions

Whaleboy
07/30/2008, 04:17 PM
So quite a while back I posted information about the Gatorback coating for a solution on our faded cladding. I kept waiting for a brave vehicross owner to come forth and put it to the test but have yet to see anyone take the plunge. I myself have hesitated because I do offroad, and I'm concerned about it's scratchability.

I've continued to poke into the Chevy Avalanche user forums every now and then because they also face the same problem as we do with faded cladding - but they're greater in numbers so they parse solutions more quickly.

Behold, a newly discovered product. It isn't a dye, nor a cleaner. It doesn't leave residue, doesn't streak from rain, and apparently lasts for MONTHS. The Avalanche owners are saying it soaks into the cladding, staying there for a considerable amount of time. It's called Refinish Restorer. And the owners over there are raving about it. I can't wait to try it, gonna order some tonight as it's pretty much no risk.

Here's a before and after:

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/41016/normal_clad01.jpg

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/41016/normal_clad02.jpg

Now the owners are claiming these results hold up for months, I've seen people mentioning 9+ months.

Here's 2 threads worth reading about the topic and more pics:

thread 1 (http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,90475.msg1426160.html#msg1426160)

thread 2 (http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,101061.0.html)

Good luck! :cool:

tomdietrying
07/30/2008, 04:37 PM
Whaleboy,
Where ya been? We had a VX meet in lower Greenville last week. Hope to see you at the next one.

BTW-That does look like a promising solution to our fading cladding.

Peace.
Tom

Thmstec
07/30/2008, 07:02 PM
EXACTLY what I've been waiting for. I've ordered some and had it shipped to where I'm going to be for the next week, hopefully I'll have time to apply it :bwgy:

Whaleboy
07/30/2008, 11:06 PM
Whaleboy,
Where ya been? We had a VX meet in lower Greenville last week. Hope to see you at the next one.

BTW-That does look like a promising solution to our fading cladding.

Peace.
Tom

Hey Tom.. I haven't really had much time to drop by and check the board lately I've been so busy. I'm really sorry I missed it. Hopefully I can make the next one and bring the Kaiser and Ironman out to play. :D

The kaiser is currently in the shop, girlfriend got bopped in the rear end. The other parties insurance adjuster wrote up only 3 days for the length of repair. HAH HAH, yeah like those parts are gonna arrive that quickly. :rolleyes:

twistedsymphony
07/31/2008, 06:36 AM
The guy I bought my VX from gave me a bottle of this stuff from "mothers" called "Back to Black" he said it works well and lasts quite a while.... I haven't tried it yet though.

On other car that I owned with cladding I simply picked up some black vinyl die from the auto parts store and sprayed away... it soaks into the plastic and takes years to fade... no idea how well that would work on a VX though.

taylorRichie
07/31/2008, 06:51 AM
Alot of us have used back to black... works well and smells good, but is a dust magnet. :D

VehiGAZ
07/31/2008, 07:37 AM
...and it streaks in the rain.

tom4bren
07/31/2008, 07:40 AM
Picky - Picky

RAZ
07/31/2008, 08:31 AM
I just ordered some, mine is faded bad we'll see.

nfpgasmask
07/31/2008, 08:43 AM
So what I don't like about the photos you posted is the guy has the cladding masked off on his Avalanche. Is that just an extra precaution or is this stuff bad to get on your paint job? Masking can be a big and tedious job, so if that is necissary, the stuff had better last for months!!!

:) Bart

Scott Harness
07/31/2008, 09:39 AM
So what I don't like about the photos you posted is the guy has the cladding masked off on his Avalanche. Is that just an extra precaution or is this stuff bad to get on your paint job? Masking can be a big and tedious job, so if that is necissary, the stuff had better last for months!!!

:) Bart

I'm glad you noticed that.I missed it.

nfpgasmask
07/31/2008, 10:05 AM
I'm glad you noticed that.I missed it.

Yeah, that's why I like the Trim Shine. You can spray it on easily, and if you get a little on the paint, just wipe it off. I mean, if you have to mask off your paint job, the stuff must do something adverse to it, right?

Bart

Scott Harness
07/31/2008, 10:29 AM
Yes, makes me paranoid---I mean more paranoid:eek:

Whaleboy
07/31/2008, 11:41 AM
I would imagine the owner placed the masking tape on the finish to prevent Refinish Restorer from removing the polish/wax? As apparently it will do that for plastic (if you accidentally got polish on your cladding).

Here's the labeling on the bottle:

-Freshens the colour of faded and mat plastic surfaces
-Protects against weathering
-Silicone Free
-Protects plastic and metal surfaces
-Easily removes traces of polish

Refinish Restorer is a liquid sealer for plastic and metal surfaces exposed to weathering. It penetrates deeply into the surface, driving out the ingrained dirt, restoring the original colour and provides a long lasting finish. Refinish Restorer is also very effective at removing traces of polish on e.g. plastic fenders and trims.

Now going thru thread 1, there's a number of msgs where one of the owners applied it during the day and it had rained on the vehicle all evening. Only to come outside the next day and see NO streaking, no dissipation. The photo is pretty cool.

So-CalVX
07/31/2008, 12:06 PM
how many bottles should do the whole truck?
or should i just stock up on some?

Whaleboy
08/01/2008, 11:44 AM
They're saying 1 can goes a long way, multiple applications. Considering you probably won't be applying that often, I would say 1 can would do ya fine. Thats what I got. :bwgy:

volume311
08/02/2008, 04:12 PM
What's the website to order from? Nothing on carsystems site, and google ain't helping me.

Whaleboy
08/02/2008, 05:14 PM
this is where I ordered it from.

http://yhst-13811118617756.stores.yahoo.net/carere1l.html

Thmstec
08/06/2008, 06:59 PM
I took the plunge and applied it. And boy am I glad I did! The before and after pictures... well don't show much... so I'll try to get some good after photos tomorrow. But the results are pretty awesome.

I put two applications on the cladding about ten min apart. Then 10 min later took it off. There are no directions on the can, well other than some very vague pictures. This is by no means the best method, I would bet you guys can come up with better ways. But I used two sponges, one for each application (be prepared to throw these away). I applied in small circular motions. And for removal I used a buffer.

After being rather pleased with the results I decided to try it on the hood, mirrors, and spoiler. On the hood it didn't appear to be as effective, but after about an hour all the spots and fading was gone!

Sidenotes: I used gloves initially, but then I decided there was no need. There aren't any warnings on the can, and it washes off easily, no burn, no nothing. It is also quite overkill to tape off the paint- it wipes right off, no damage. The excess seems to turn into an almost waxy-like substance after being applied.

Summery: Very Pleased! Recommend it to everyone!

rowhard
08/06/2008, 07:36 PM
Alot of us have used back to black... works well and smells good, but is a dust magnet. :D

dust magnet??

I was recently turned onto a product called Black Again from Black Jack. Old product that has been off the market for a number of years. This stuff really works well, but it too is a Dust magnet.

Now for you out that are old enough to remember Lp's, remember those vinyl things before cd's.

Do you remember the 'zerostat gun's, the thing you use to use after wiping the vinyl with the diskwasher D4 to remove the dust? Well it works here on the cladding to remove the static after applying what ever product blows your skirt up.

I like Black Again by Black Jack.

Hard to find but worth the search

etlsport
08/06/2008, 08:41 PM
dust magnet??

I was recently turned onto a product called Black Again from Black Jack. Old product that has been off the market for a number of years. This stuff really works well, but it too is a Dust magnet.

Now for you out that are old enough to remember Lp's, remember those vinyl things before cd's.

Do you remember the 'zerostat gun's, the thing you use to use after wiping the vinyl with the diskwasher D4 to remove the dust? Well it works here on the cladding to remove the static after applying what ever product blows your skirt up.

I like Black Again by Black Jack.

yea! i have a bottle of that stuff too.. works very well but definitely attracts a lot of dust.. and the odd thing about it is you are supposed to apply it in the sun!.. i found that my local strauss discount auto still stocked it a few months ago

Phantom
08/06/2008, 08:59 PM
zerostats cost like a hundred bucks nowadays. This Is what I use on all my lp/cd/dvd/interconnects/power wire/speaker cables:

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/audioproducts/ionoclast.php

and on lp's before playing:

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/audioproducts/recordbrush.php

Living in a low humidity area and having electrostatic speakers static electricity is a big problem for my system, so I have all this stuff laying around, I didn't think of using any of this stuff on my cladding though! Next time I put on a coat of back to black I will try the antistator trick out.

Whaleboy
08/07/2008, 12:59 AM
From what I've read Avalanche owners have sometimes waited an hour for the first coat to flash before applying a second.

Glad to hear there is already great initial results. I get my can tomorrow! :)

VehiGAZ
08/07/2008, 08:27 AM
I'm in for a bottle too...

Thmstec
08/07/2008, 12:34 PM
Time for pics! ...although lighting outside today isn't making for great shots, you'll get the idea

So this is my hood before :eek:(shield your children's eyes!)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/thumbs/P1060412.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=10575)

And this is the hood after! :dance:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/thumbs/08072008023.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=11831)
Wish I could get the dang phone to focus :rolly:

And here is a fully body! :clap:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/thumbs/08072008022.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=11830)
Sorry for the lack of having a comparison shot, but just trust me its an AWESOME improvement!

I should mention that the hood still isn't quite perfect, but I'm just nitpicking. There is just a little bit of discoloration around the wiper fluid nozzles

VehiGAZ
08/07/2008, 01:51 PM
So this is my hood before :eek:(shield your children's eyes!)

Mine is only a half-notch better than that!

rowhard
08/07/2008, 02:26 PM
zerostats cost like a hundred bucks nowadays.

DAMN, If I had know that I wouldn't even suggested it. Bought mine years ago, before cd's even in the BX overseas and it was cheap.

twistedsymphony
08/07/2008, 04:02 PM
one of the guys on the avalanche forum recommended waiting 24 hours between coats... said it was still tacky after the first coat even after the recommended time period between coats.

this is the first I've heard of having to wipe it off after putting it on.

I'm placing an order for this stuff, hopefully we'll figure out optimal application instructions.

Whaleboy
08/07/2008, 04:47 PM
one of the guys on the avalanche forum recommended waiting 24 hours between coats... said it was still tacky after the first coat even after the recommended time period between coats.

this is the first I've heard of having to wipe it off after putting it on.

I'm placing an order for this stuff, hopefully we'll figure out optimal application instructions.

Yeah, and I think that was due to moisture for that long rate? Anyhoo, I'm not really sure you should be wiping it off, that's a good observation. It definitely needs to soak into the polypropylene. As far as the hood is concerned, I have doubts it would have the same lasting effect as it does with the cladding. I'm honestly not sure what the outer surface of that insert is coated with, but it's not polypropylene.

I seriously recommend reading thru the threads I posted before applying, or before someone makes a tutorial. They've been using this product for quite some time.

twistedsymphony
08/08/2008, 08:11 AM
I actually read threw two whole threads on the avalanche forum and no one really spelled out the application procedure. just hinted at different things here and there.. :rolleyesg

one interesting post was a guy had stains on the bed lid of his, said he didn't know the procedure to apply it, no one helped him so he posted back a few days later with pictures of his "best guess" at application. it dulled the stains quite a bit but didn't get rid of them completely and someone chastised him for it saying that if he had "followed directions that others had posted" he would have got rid of the stains.

after reading that I even went back and skimmed through the tread, did a search there, and looked through other threads in the forum and found no real form of instruction. :rolleyes: gotta love the mentality of forum people sometimes.

EDIT:
I found the official application instructions. they're availble in the PDF from the official website:
http://www.carsystem.ca/shared_files/catalog/fichiers/RefinishRestorer_gb.pdf

from the PDF:

1. Surfaces to be sealed need to be clean and free of oil and grease. Any yellowing or staining on gelcoat and
other plastic surfaces needs to be removed with a cleaner. The surface should be thoroughly rinsed with
water. Metallic surfaces should be thoroughly degreased. Application on white surfaces can result in a slight
colour change.
2. After initial treatment the surface should be thoroughly dried before the Refinish Restorer is applied.
3. Refinish Restorer cannot be applied onto very warm surfaces or in direct sunlight.
4. Refinish Restorer is applied evenly, using a soft flat brush or a lint free cloth, until the pores are filled.
5. Refinish Restorer should take effect 5 to 10 minutes after application. Any liquid Refinish Restorer can be
brushed over a more porous area.
6. After a maximum of 10 minutes any excess oil should be removed with an absorbent lint free cloth or a soft
pad, otherwise it can only be removed with a suitable stain remover. Liquid Refinish Restorer can be removed
using a turpentine substitute.
7. If necessary repeat steps 4 to 6.
8. When a high degree of shine is required, the surfaces treated with Refinish Restorer can be polished with a
non abrasive wax.
9. Metallic surfaces are not very porous and must therefore treated with a very fine wire wool soaked in Refinish
Restorer. Excess oil must be removed after about 15 minutes. The surface can be than be polished with a lint
free cloth for a greater shine.
Cleaning Tools: Use turpentine substitute

so you leave it on for 10 minutes and then remove it. use a brush... and it works on metal as well as plastic (which is probably why it works on the hood insert)

Whaleboy
08/08/2008, 11:21 AM
ahhh, excellent find!

check that out, turpentine substitute to clean off the refinish restorer.. thats a good sign this stuff is tough! :bwgy:

Oh, btw. The label on the can does say "avoid contact with skin and eyes". So guys I would suggest you wear gloves.

Phantom
08/08/2008, 04:11 PM
Those pics look nice! Looks like it really darkens things up. I am thinking about ordering this and seeing if it is less of a dust magnet than the back to black. In socal it hardly ever rains so dust accumulates at a scary rate! I use a duster on the metal bits but it streaks the cladding so I just let it get dusty till I wash it.

Thmstec
08/08/2008, 04:42 PM
I combed over my can, can't find anything about no contact with skin or eyes ??? hmm, well my hands are still fine-- I'll let you guys know if that changes ;)

Glad you found the official instructions, you guys made me nervous about wiping the extra off.

VehiGAZ
08/24/2008, 06:56 AM
I bought a bottle and tried it out yesterday.. Very nice results! I think it worked best on the fanged grill and mirrors, extremely well on the cladding, and so-so on my so-far-gone hood insert - let's just say it did what it could do. Anyway, the proof will be in how long it lasts. The 1L bottle should be good for at least a dozen applications, which will be the life of my VX if it lasts even 6 months per application.

I was baffled by the picto-instructions, so I googled and found the online instructions posted above. Yes, you definitely have to "wipe off the excess" after application. The instructions said to leave it on 5-10 minute. I found that 5 minutes wasn't quite enough, so I left it on for 8 min. I set a kitchen timer for 8 minutes, started it, began applying it to panels until the timer went off, then went back and started the wiping process. Took about 4-5 of these 8 min "sessions" to get 'er done. The only thing I didn't do were my roof rails - I just forgot about them.

My wife was stunned by the results when she came home. The difference in darkness isn't huge, but the effect is remarkable. It just makes the plastic look like new.

Follow-up... Make sure you use a non-fiber-shedding towel when wiping off the excess. I used one that was still shedding a little, and some of those fibers got caught up in the finish.

r6boater
08/24/2008, 03:56 PM
I found out about this product

Armordillo (http://www.autocosmeticproducts.com/Armordillots1.htm)

from my dad, who is a service manager at a Chevy dealer. There was a TSB that came out about the Avalanches' plastics, this is the stuff that GM uses to remedy the faded cladding.

I used it on an old Porsche I owned, it turned everything back black very nicely and lasted a long time too. It's kinda spendy, but worth it, I think.

Maybe, if when I can get my hands on a VX and if it needs a treatment, I'll get some before and after pics of this stuff being used.

Just my two pennies.

Thmstec
08/24/2008, 04:08 PM
After a quick look at that product, it looks like it does exactly the same thing as the "refinish restorer." Might be interesting to do a comparison though.

twistedsymphony
09/02/2008, 06:54 AM
I just got my can of refinish restorer in... my cladding is pretty damn faded so we'll see how it goes, not sure I'll have a chance to use it until later this week though.

can had a huge dent in it, not that it effects how well it works but when you pay $30 for a can of cleaning product... :rolleyes:

Bieredalsace
09/21/2008, 03:53 PM
Do you know if Trim Shine available in mega marts? Thanks

rowhard
09/21/2008, 04:41 PM
All these products, all these claims, just wish I could find something that didn't streak in the rain like mascara,.... NOT that I have ever worn mascara:bwgy:

VehiGAZ
09/22/2008, 06:00 AM
My Refinish Restorer application is holding up beautifully a month later. It looks just like it did when I put it on, and that after sitting outside every day. There is no streaking with this stuff - it dries hard, like a polyurethane sealeant or something along those lines.

twistedsymphony
09/23/2008, 08:32 AM
I need to get off my butt and put that stuff on... my cladding is so faded it practically blends in with the silver paint :rolleyes:

Thmstec
09/23/2008, 04:34 PM
Mine is still doing great too. Very happy with it. Although there are a couple small spots where I was lazy with the second coat-- and it shows upon close inspection. Would get back and re-do it... but I left the refinish restorer with an uncle who had a BAD Avalanche.

twistedsymphony
10/10/2008, 03:38 PM
I finally got around to using this stuff...

holy crap it's impressive!

here's a pic, it's a little dark because I was burning daylight but just look at the contrast between the cladding and the lights. It especially makes my clear turn signals pop :cool:

http://solid-orange.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/rr.jpg

here's a pic from when I first got the VX for comparison

http://solid-orange.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/vx03.jpg

I did half of it last night (passengers side and back) using some shop towels and it came out a little streaky and a little uneven, then after work today I stopped at home depot and picked up a 2" paint brush and a little hand held trim cup. poured about an inch of RR into the cup and literally painted it on (hey the instructions even suggested to "brush" it on)... after letting it soak for 10 minutes I wiped it off with some shop towels and it was OOOH so SMOOOTH... the brush made it very easy to get in the crevices and around the bolts and lights too (BTW I didn't mask off anything, the stuff looks like thin canola oil and just rolls off the paint.

very happy with this.. :bwgy:

OHVX'er
10/19/2008, 09:25 AM
I picked up a bottle of the Refinish Restorer and applied it this weekend.
Put the first coat on yesterday and the second coat today. After the first coat I thought i ruined the cladding, it was all streaky and blotchy. After the second coat today though the results are fantastic. Brought it back to new looking.
I had been using tire shine and liked the results but hated the running and having to apply it every week. Hope this lasts the 6 months as they say it does.
A couple pics:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a3/rick__willey/refinsh002-1.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a3/rick__willey/refinsh0025.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a3/rick__willey/refinsh007.jpg

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a3/rick__willey/refinsh005.jpg

ISCE
10/19/2008, 02:16 PM
My can has arrived and hope to get this done THIS week. Looks like everyone is having great results with it, and I'm just tired of the back to black routine. The temp has dropped here significantly though, guess it's time for fall. Any issues with putting it on in say 55 degree temp?

tomdietrying
10/19/2008, 03:49 PM
OHVX'er,
That looks promising. BTW -What is that underneath your fog lights?
Peace.
Tom

OHVX'er
10/19/2008, 04:29 PM
When I applied it this weekend and it was only 50 degrees.

Its some kind of spoiler the PO put on it tomdietrying. Don't think it would last to long offroading though.

twistedsymphony
10/27/2008, 08:10 AM
I believe they recommend cooler temps for application... I believe the instructions even specifically say to NOT apply it in direct sunlight.

VehiGAZ
10/27/2008, 12:34 PM
That's true.

VCAMILO
10/28/2008, 12:08 PM
I just ordered my bottle. $39.99 plus $12 shipping.

ISCE
11/01/2008, 02:35 PM
AWESOME! This stuff goes on easy and quick. It was VERY thin and went on real easy. I ended up using a detail roller brush and it took no time at all.

One note: I did one side and then waited the 10 mins and then wiped off with a lint free towel. The finish appeared to have streaks and looked better but not great. By the time I finished the other side my roller didn't have as much of the restorer fluid and so took several passes to roll into the cladding. I then used the same towel which was now full of the restorer to just wipe it down. I then made one final pass over everything with the almost dry roller and it evened everything out very nicely.

Next time I apply I will just put on a lighter coat and just continue on around the whole vehicle evening everything out with the roller and not even wipe it off. The side I basically did this with came out much better.

My hood insert was in bad shape. The restorer did help, but the results weren't great. On the cladding though, I am very happy with how it looks.

Overall, well worth the money. Time wise it's faster than back to black and I shouldn't have to apply it as often.

Before cladding
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/0024.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/12277)

Before hood insert
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/0015.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/12276)

Here's my endorsement pic after.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/0052.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/12280)

Riff Raff
07/13/2009, 03:12 AM
:bump:

mrlegoman
08/02/2009, 10:49 AM
Ordering some now!!