PDA

View Full Version : O2 Sensors problem

BlackVX
06/30/2003, 07:02 AM
The check engine light came up on my VX today. I went to a garage to check and reset the code. The code was related to the O2 sensors. I took an appointment with the Isuzu dealer for Thursday.

My VX is a 1999 with 53K miles. Do you guys know if the sensors are covered by the warranty? Any advice before I go to the dealer/jungle?
I just read this tread: http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1058&highlight=o2+sensor
Is it possible this could be related to my oil change that I got 2 days before the light came on?

Thanks,
Michael

PS:
My favorite dealer Hendrick in Woodbridge VA is no longer fixing Isuzus. I am stuck to go to the one in Fairfax VA... which I really don't trust.

SoilDoc
06/30/2003, 07:13 AM
When you come to Fairfax to drop off your baby, let me know and we can get together. I work just across the street from the most expensive service dealer in the US (IMHO). In between my work and the Brown's Buick and Isuzu is a Hooters. Maybe we can take in a few sights.

Anyway, Max (the service dude) has always been very cordial and straight forward to me. Yes, their service (i.e., 30k and oil change) is more expensive but they have fixed all my standard warrenty issues--no problem. No idea about the O2 sensor but I wouldn't think it was covered by warranty because those things tend to go bad, right? However, that's a question for someone smart like Tone.

andy454
06/30/2003, 07:22 AM
You need to make sure that there is not something causing it to set an 02 code like an intake gasket. Have the dealer hook up the scanner and then force the system rich with some carb cleaner and then lean with a vacuum leak. It should respond instantly. Too many dealers see an 02 code and just replace the sensor when it is actually doing it's job. Check the fuel trims on each bank to see if they are out of whack.

Hotsauce
07/01/2003, 12:50 AM
Loose EGR tube can cause this code. 22mm wrench

John C.

VehiX
07/01/2003, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by SoilDoc
No idea about the O2 sensor but I wouldn't think it was covered by warranty because those things tend to go bad, right? However, that's a question for someone smart like Tone.

Actually exhaust parts and O2 sensors are covered the longest out of the vehicle warrenty. Without them you have bad emissions, with bad emissions the green peace folks start freaking out about those darn SUV's robbing the planet :rolleyes:

Check your manual, items like 02 sensors are covered for a decent amount of milage:)

BlackVX
07/01/2003, 06:21 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll check the details of my warranty. I remember when I purchased the VX back in Sept. 99 that I spent $700 for extra warranty.

BTW, What is a EGR Tube?

It's ironic, I just finish paying off the VX and now some signs of problems are showing up.

Michael