PDA

View Full Version : Chipped windshield?

etlsport
07/24/2008, 10:23 AM
just curious if anyone has had trouble with their windshield chipping. I didnt even really notice it until recently, i would wash the windshield and there would still be spots.. i figured i just missed some sap or something

I finally got around to looking closely.. i have probably 20+ little chips out of my windshield! none of them are cracking or anything.. its just annoying to have them, was just curious if anyone else experienced anything similar? pretty sure my windshield is aftermarket as it has the blue stripe across the top

Ascinder
07/24/2008, 11:07 AM
Ditto here too on the aftermarket. Mine is more pitting than chipping though. Not really noticeable unless you're driving towards the sun.

LittleBeast
07/24/2008, 12:12 PM
Have to get my 4th replacement in 4 years next week. My dad was friends growing up with a guy who owns a windshield place and he ordered one and will install it for $200 in Waco next weekend. Each windshield I have gotten has had a pretty bad bend/distorsion going on at the upper passenger side, so I am thinking they are not OEM but I am hoping this next one will be smooth.

-1st windshield rock chip spread
-2nd Vulture went through the windshield (see my gallery)
-3rd bolt off an 18 wheeler
-4th 3 rock chips, 1 did not spread, 1 spread only a little on passenger side straight up 4" to roof line, 1 chipped directly in front of driver viewing area.

Pepino
07/24/2008, 12:37 PM
a while ago it rained here in wisconsin and the the water froze in the windshield and when i tried to clean it or shave it off or whatever is called it broke just a little line and then i could see it growing and had to get it replaced because it got halfway through the windshield

etlsport
07/24/2008, 12:48 PM
Ditto here too on the aftermarket. Mine is more pitting than chipping though. Not really noticeable unless you're driving towards the sun.

yep sounds about how mine is, pock marks in the windshield.. more noticeable on bright days.. not really a big deal, just one of those things that when i notice it, it bugs me

nfpgasmask
07/24/2008, 01:01 PM
I have a nice big chip in the center of my windsheild. I had it filled by an autoglass company to keep it from growing. This was back in Feb or March I think. So far so good. Other than that I have some scratches but nothing else major.

Bart

tom4bren
07/24/2008, 02:52 PM
"yep sounds about how mine is, pock marks in the windshield"

Acid rain???

Ascinder
07/24/2008, 04:43 PM
Acid rain???

Not out here at least. Ours is almost certainly sand/dust storms. I think it might just be second rate glass too. Mine has a similar distortion over by the passenger side too. The bug on mine says it's a "Solar Control" made by Viracon.