PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday.....

JHarris1385
07/22/2008, 04:40 AM
Two things:

Engine is throwing P1153 as seen in another post.

And THEN>>>>>>

As I am driving home I hear an unheard of before rattling grinding noise from the front of my VX. I had a suspicion what is what as I was driving my 40+ minute commute home. Sure enough my passenger side inner CV boot is TORN........

My problem is. I have such little funds right now it is ridiculous. Just moved, just furnished the place and so forth. Not to mention the little time I have to do this repair. So now I am off to reading the CV threads to decipher what brand is the best and where to get the best deal. I thought I remembered someone duct taping theres as a temporary fix. I might do that.

taylorRichie
07/22/2008, 06:32 AM
My Dorman boots survived their first off road trip this weekend. So that's pretty promising. It seams most people who have issues with boots, they show up right a way. (days)

Most people have recommended MecaTech but a few people have reported torn boots in no time.

I honestly thing we're going to find boots are luck of the draw. Next go around I'll try those silicone like ones that someone posted about in a recent thread.

tom4bren
07/22/2008, 12:14 PM
J,

Duct Tape won't help. I doubt it would last 10 miles (if that, considering that you are taping something covered in grease). IMHO

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if the CV is making noise, it's shot. Replacing the boot won't make the noise go away (neither will over packing it with grease - I tried).

I managed to find an axle shop that ground (grinded ???) by hand the outer races (green cup) and 'borrowed' inner races from a spare set of half shafts. He then used oversized balls to compensate for the grinding. All in all, it seemed like a good job - but ...

The MechaTech's I had them install only lasted a year (3 of the 4 had split). I don't wanna diss MechaTech tho. My CVs are at a very harsh angle due to the 3" lift. When I took off the boots & cleaned everything up, I noticed that one bearing is binding in the cage. I'm hoping that the races keep it free but I'm not sure. Anyway, it's running quiet.

Richie,

I'm the one that put on the Dorman grey boots (they're advertised as silicon but I'm not so sure). I can't say how well they'll hold up since I've only put about 50 miles on them so far.

LittleBeast
07/22/2008, 12:18 PM
Richie,
I'm the one that put on the Dorman grey boots (they're advertised as silicon but I'm not so sure). I can't say how well they'll hold up since I've only put about 50 miles on them so far.

Grey Dormans lasted 1 month on mine, black Dormans are still holding strong at 6+ months but they were on the outers and those seem to last the longest anyways.

tom4bren
07/22/2008, 02:56 PM
"they were on the outers and those seem to last the longest anyways."

True

That reminds me tho:

MechaTechs come in one size fits all (inners & outers)

Dorman grey are only available for outer (I think) & blacks are only for inners (I think). OOPS - strike that - reverse it.

AutoZone indicates a different part number for inners & outers too.

What gives ... are inners & outers supposed to be the same or not???

tomdietrying
07/22/2008, 03:46 PM
Here's a temporary fix for your boots. T

his year I tore my boot a day before I made it to Moab. Anyhow, all I did was take a platic bag, I used a baggy that had fruit in it, wrapped it around the geasey boot, then used duct tape.

Next day I made it to Moab, wheeled with the crew for four more days, then drove back to Dallas. A couple of weeks later. I had the boot replaced.

Just stick your head under there every now and then to make sure your temporary repair is still good.

Peace.
Tom

Ldub
07/22/2008, 04:23 PM
That reminds me tho:

MechaTechs come in one size fits all (inners & outers)

Dorman grey are only available for outer (I think) & blacks are only for inners (I think).

AutoZone indicates a different part number for inners & outers too.

What gives ... are inners & outers supposed to be the same or not???

When I took my old ones off last Sunday, I set them side by side & they looked the same to me.
The Mec-a-tecs are the same size (all four in the kit), & they seemed to fit the same, wether on the inner or outer.
But then again, my perception of things has been known in the past to a bit hazy...:rolleyesg

tom4bren
07/23/2008, 06:12 AM
"I set them side by side & they looked the same to me"

That's what I thought too - so it boggles the mind that most companies list them with different part numbers.

taylorRichie
07/23/2008, 07:03 AM
I bought two of the same Part number Dorman Blacks for both my inner and outer. I also did no trimming of the boots after installation.

I have one stock boot from the outer I replaced, but hindsight probably should have left. It was/is still in good shape.

tom4bren
07/23/2008, 11:28 AM
"I have one stock boot from the outer I replaced"

Yeah, I've still got 2 OEMs & one used MechaTech. The MechaTeck has a small tear where the small band cut into it - should be reparable with some RTV since it won't flex there.

"take a platic bag, wrapped it around the geasey boot, then used duct tape."

GTK for emergency road repair. THX. Glad you caught it before any damage was done.

LittleBeast
07/23/2008, 12:57 PM
When I took my old ones off last Sunday, I set them side by side & they looked the same to me.
The Mec-a-tecs are the same size (all four in the kit), & they seemed to fit the same, wether on the inner or outer.
But then again, my perception of things has been known in the past to a bit hazy...:rolleyesg

Yeah all the Dormans look exactly the same besides the color, but I know that the grey's as supposedly supposed to be on the inner cv's

JHarris1385
07/23/2008, 01:25 PM
I am getting under mine today.

I bought some magic wrap rubber tape: http://bearep.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=732

should take care of it for now....

tom4bren
07/23/2008, 01:32 PM
"I bought some magic wrap rubber tape"

Is that the stuff that they use for plumbing repairs? Never thought of using that (but grease could still be a problem tho).

I should've opened the link before I asked - sorry.

I've used that stuff for plumbing & other stuff (including the Tone hitch install). It does work great - just don't let it touch itself until you want it to. It works best if it's stretched but that won't help for your project.

JHarris1385
07/23/2008, 05:23 PM
It did not work. I read in another thread about the use of plumbing tape for this temporary fix.

I ended up using a plastic bag and duct tape.