PDA

View Full Version : CVs from Autopartswarehouse

CrnCnn
07/20/2008, 07:01 PM
So I found these on line and wondered if anyone has had any experience with trying to purchase these.

DRIVER SIDE LINK (http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/details/QQIsuzuQQVehiCROSSQQCVUQQAxle_AssemblyQQ19992001QQ CVU0241.html)

I would like to try as soon as I get that kind of money.

tom4bren
07/21/2008, 06:52 AM
I tried to order from them. They told me that they are backordered & had no idea when they would be available (if ever). I cancelled the order & tried to place it at a very similar site & got the same response. I gave up & tried AutoZone with the same results.

Hope you have better luck than I did.

CrnCnn
07/21/2008, 03:06 PM
Well I have not ordered yet. I wanted to put it out there and see if anyone had experience with them. I though I had read something before, just couldn’t remember and my search didn’t come up with anything.

tom4bren
07/22/2008, 12:23 PM
That was prolly the 'CV for dummies' thread or at least around the same timeframe - I was doing a lot of whining about it then.

I think JHarris will be in the same boat as you so good luck to you both. Keep us posted of any success since there are others who'll be wanting/needing the info eventually.

nfpgasmask
07/22/2008, 01:57 PM
Is that price way better than what Merlin has to offer? What about searching junk yards for a CV assembly from a wrecked VX?

EDIT: Just searching car-part and there is no listing for CV or Constant Velocity joint. What would this part be a member of? Front Drive Shaft? Front Axle Assembly? Front Axle Shaft?

I know this has been asked before, but what kind of part interchange with other trucks do our CVs have?

Bart

tom4bren
07/22/2008, 02:27 PM
"Just searching car-part and there is no listing for CV or Constant Velocity joint. What would this part be a member of? Front Drive Shaft? Front Axle Assembly? Front Axle Shaft?"

I can't remember what I searched on when I found it. I think the best vernicular would be 'half shaft' or 'front axle'.

"part interchange with other trucks do our CVs have?"

Rumor has it that 97 Trooper might work but I would think that the Amigo would be the better bet. No one has taken the plunge to find out for sure (i.e., actually bought one to compare).

"Merlin has to offer"

I didn't check - let us know. I paid $300 for the set I got from the bone yard (& felt lucky to find them at all).

CrnCnn
07/22/2008, 09:59 PM
Rumor has it that 97 Trooper might work but I would think that the Amigo would be the better bet. No one has taken the plunge to find out for sure (i.e., actually bought one to compare).

"Merlin has to offer"

I didn't check - let us know. I paid $300 for the set I got from the bone yard (& felt lucky to find them at all).

I think I will take mine out and go do some comparisons. Beau or Bart, do either one of you have a Micrometer? I want to go count splines and take some measurements. I really want to try and solve this stupid issue with a replacement, new or reman. I looked up a 97 trooper and it shows that it is something Kragen carries so I will find out who in town has it and go do some research.

I guess I should call Merlin and see what he has to say.

nfpgasmask
07/22/2008, 10:03 PM
Beau or Bart, do either one of you have a Micrometer?

Negative...I am not even sure I know what a micrometer is??

I guess I should call Merlin and see what he has to say.

Yeah, I would, just so you have a frame of reference on the cost of OEM vs whatever you find.

Bart

CrnCnn
07/22/2008, 10:08 PM

OK. I am sure Beau has one.

Yeah, I would, just so you have a frame of reference on the cost of OEM vs whatever you find.

Bart

Maybe he can get a little more into the cross reference issue too.

nfpgasmask
07/22/2008, 10:13 PM
Maybe he can get a little more into the cross reference issue too.

Yeah, those guys should be able to tell you what would work and what won't, but then again...

Bart

AREA 51
07/23/2008, 05:25 AM
Somewhere in the archives should be a post from grandpa bob or green dragon, where he mentioned that only one side of a troopers front cv's are a direct interchange with the vx. He actually had a spare and used them.

tom4bren
07/23/2008, 05:48 AM
"I think I will take mine out and go do some comparisons."

My spare set (unassembled) is in my garage so you may not have to remove yours (I heard it's a major pain). I'll try to take some pix so you can let me know what measurements you need me to take.

CrnCnn
07/23/2008, 06:43 AM
Somewhere in the archives should be a post from grandpa bob or green dragon, where he mentioned that only one side of a troopers front cv's are a direct interchange with the vx. He actually had a spare and used them.
See this is great. Tips start rolling in for some solutions/places to look closer.

"I think I will take mine out and go do some comparisons."

My spare set (unassembled) is in my garage so you may not have to remove yours (I heard it's a major pain). I'll try to take some pix so you can let me know what measurements you need me to take.
Well, I have to take apart my drivers side to see if thats where my noise is anyhow but I may not leave it out so you might be getting a PM from me. Thank you

tom4bren
07/23/2008, 08:08 AM
"Well, I have to take apart my drivers side to see if thats where my noise is anyhow"

But you don't need to remove the outer race (green cup) & that is where it begins to get very painful.

Ascinder
07/23/2008, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by nfpgasmask

OK. I am sure Beau has one.

Yes he does, but what you really want is a dial indicator(which we also have). I looked up the CVs HERE (http://www.myisuzuparts.com/)
and didn't find any that crossed over. Your best bet would be to get exact stock measurements, then go to either pick and pull or like you said an autoparts or driveline shop and measure(and price) theirs. Many Isuzus use 17 spline shafts for outers. I assume inners are the same.

CrnCnn
07/23/2008, 07:32 PM
Yes he does, but what you really want is a dial indicator(which we also have). I looked up the CVs HERE (http://www.myisuzuparts.com/)
and didn't find any that crossed over. Your best bet would be to get exact stock measurements, then go to either pick and pull or like you said an autoparts or driveline shop and measure(and price) theirs. Many Isuzus use 17 spline shafts for outers. I assume inners are the same.

I read up on some of Green dragons(Grampa Bob) posts and it looks like the right side was interchangable. I forget with what already, I need to start a list.

Ascinder
07/23/2008, 08:28 PM
Then that means the website I cross referenced was either wrong, or the part numbers don't imply that the parts won't interchange, or the CVs are different, but not enough to matter.:):):):):)

tom4bren
07/24/2008, 02:47 PM
idgaf27 wrote in another thread:

Isuzu Rodeo 93-97 AT
Isuzu Trooper 92-97 AT
Isuzu Trooper 98-02 w/TDS
Passport 94-97
SLX 96-99

half shafts fit ours.

CrnCnn
07/24/2008, 03:09 PM
idgaf27 wrote in another thread:

Isuzu Rodeo 93-97 AT
Isuzu Trooper 92-97 AT
Isuzu Trooper 98-02 w/TDS
Passport 94-97
SLX 96-99

half shafts fit ours.

Well that is very encouraging.

Ascinder
07/24/2008, 04:35 PM
I wonder why the different part numbers then:confused: Well, at least it's somewhere to start looking and comparing.:smilewink

Ldub
07/26/2008, 07:20 PM
I wonder why the different part numbers then:confused: Well, at least it's somewhere to start looking and comparing.:smilewink

I shot an email off to Jerry Lemond (a known Isuzu Guru :cool:), asking about half shaft interchangability, part #, etc...
Here's his reply...(edited, for length) :_wrench:

THE HALF SHAFTS USED ON THE VX, ARE VIRTUALLY IDENTICAL TO THE SHORT WHEEL BASE TROOPERS, THE FR DRIVE AXLES HAVE DIFF PART NO,S THAN THE TROOPERS BUT THAT IS MOST LIKELY BECUASE OF ONE OF TWO THINKS , EITHER THE MANUFACTURER OR WHERE IT WAS MADE , A LOT OF THE PARTS LIKE THAT ARE MADE IN BOTH JAPAN AND IN TAIWAN, AND THEY WILL BE INTERCGANGABLY BUT HAVE DIFF PT NO,S ON THEM, I AM ALLMOST CERTAIN THE SAME YEAR TROOPER AXLE ARE THE SAME , BECAUSE THE FRT AXLE HOUSING HAS THE SAME PT NO FROM 95 THRU 2002 ON THE TROOPER AND THE VX, SAME WITH THE REAR AXLE, THE VX HAS THE SAME PT NO,S AS THE 95 THRU 97 TROOPER ,, THE 98 TROOPER WHICH IS MISFIT ALL IT,S OWN, AS IT WAS CHANGED BACK TO A JAPAN BUILT UNIT IN LATE 99

CrnCnn
07/27/2008, 02:57 PM
Awesome news Ldub.

I took out my passenger axle again today and left it out. No more noise. So at least I have a better starting point.

CrnCnn
08/20/2008, 08:28 PM
Maybe??... I am going to compare this axle
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f180/Jimmylongwong/66-1349s.jpg

spaceCADETzoom
01/25/2010, 04:42 PM
How much do complete assemblies cost? Half shaft cv and all? I'm being quoted $230 (actualyl about 200 w/ military discount). Is that too much? I'm finding them on parts stores online for alot cheaper but I don't think they're actually in stock. Is 230 a good price considering they aren't easy to find?

Found a torn boot this morning, I don't think it was that way for long, but I"m not sure. It was pure chance that I even felt the need to check it out.

tom4bren
01/26/2010, 08:07 AM
From what I've seen, that's a great price. Let us know how it goes.

Ascinder
01/30/2010, 04:23 PM
If all you have is a torn boot, I'd just replace the boot for $15. It may literally take another 15 minutes to do. I have yet to hear anyone actually getting a hold of a rebuilt CV for these yet. It's always been the online bait and switch you mentioned where no one actually ever has these in stock unless they're charging sky high prices.

Marlin
01/31/2010, 04:57 AM
I ordered a set from Carpartswholesale on ebay. $123 with shipping for a pair. While I doubt they are as high quaility as OEM, having them as spares on the trail is well worth it. Especially at that price. I will let you know how they look when they get here, but according to them, they had more than 10 left.

Ldub
02/16/2010, 07:22 AM
I ordered a set from Carpartswholesale on ebay. $123 with shipping for a pair. While I doubt they are as high quaility as OEM, having them as spares on the trail is well worth it. Especially at that price. I will let you know how they look when they get here, but according to them, they had more than 10 left.

Any word on this yet?

LittleBeast
02/16/2010, 12:08 PM
"part interchange with other trucks do our CVs have?"

"Merlin has to offer"

Uh actually I ordered mine from Independent 4x, I think they were $150 shipped. Completely professionally rebuilt with sweet looking boots and clamps. Sorry I haven't posted pics, I can do a side by side, but yes the replacement I got was not from a VX but a different Isuzu with the same CV's, there are 2 different lengths, make sure you get them to send you the right one.

The way they explained it to me is as long as the Isuzu did not have the diff in the middle with the traction control or something like that then it should work.

LittleBeast
02/16/2010, 12:15 PM
How much do complete assemblies cost? Half shaft cv and all? I'm being quoted $230 (actualyl about 200 w/ military discount). Is that too much? I'm finding them on parts stores online for alot cheaper but I don't think they're actually in stock. Is 230 a good price considering they aren't easy to find?

Found a torn boot this morning, I don't think it was that way for long, but I"m not sure. It was pure chance that I even felt the need to check it out.

From what I've seen, that's a great price. Let us know how it goes.

If all you have is a torn boot, I'd just replace the boot for $15. It may literally take another 15 minutes to do. I have yet to hear anyone actually getting a hold of a rebuilt CV for these yet. It's always been the online bait and switch you mentioned where no one actually ever has these in stock unless they're charging sky high prices.

Any word on this yet?

Not that complicated really guys, just call up Independent 4x and let them know what you need, you can have a rebuilt to better than stock CV to your door in under a week for around $150. I even got a Green cup with short shaft and extra diff mount from them for $50 because my green cup (this is where the CV inserts into the diff) was torn up from driving around with a blown up CV cage. Pics will follow I have just been in a bad spot in life, sorry for the delay :)

newthings
02/16/2010, 12:49 PM
I have been wanting to buy a pair of spare CV's.
I contacted Matt at Independent 4x4, 804 550-0480.
We tried to find Little Beast's order but failed.
I gave Matt some of the posted data on other models that fit. He felt the data was unreliable. Matt said 4x4 would dig in the pile of old stuff and send any old pair of shafts in to the rebuilder for cores. The rebuilder will make up the actual year and model requested. Matt further said he has found two types of assemblies out there. One is the OEM and one is a Y shape, he calls the Y style. The Y style has small roller bearings and has proven to be weak. When you buy a rebuild it comes with boots and grease ready to go. You cannot see or realize the different style until it breaks. 4x4 sells the OEM style as a rebuild. I have asked Matt to include a brief description of what we want in his order confirmation. He will get back to me with actual price.
Roy

Marlin
02/16/2010, 01:17 PM
Mine were immaculate and brand new. Holding them up they seem to fit, but until I break a CV, they shall remain in their box. The company guarantees fit. They have good feedback as well. I am pleased with what I get. When I install the lockers this weekend, I will take a look at my CVs and compare, I will also put my mecatech boots on that I have had for over a year, all that torsion bar crank and still no torn boots:) I will post up results after the locker install.

Marlin
03/14/2010, 02:36 PM
Holy cow, I dont know of anywhere cheaper than Ebay. I installed the new cvs today, they fit fine. Tiny bit different, but overall the same. If I break one, I will revisit this post.

tom4bren
03/15/2010, 07:09 AM
I have been wanting to buy a pair of spare CV's.
I contacted Matt at Independent 4x4, 804 550-0480.
We tried to find Little Beast's order but failed.
I gave Matt some of the posted data on other models that fit. He felt the data was unreliable. Matt said 4x4 would dig in the pile of old stuff and send any old pair of shafts in to the rebuilder for cores. The rebuilder will make up the actual year and model requested. Matt further said he has found two types of assemblies out there. One is the OEM and one is a Y shape, he calls the Y style. The Y style has small roller bearings and has proven to be weak. When you buy a rebuild it comes with boots and grease ready to go. You cannot see or realize the different style until it breaks. 4x4 sells the OEM style as a rebuild. I have asked Matt to include a brief description of what we want in his order confirmation. He will get back to me with actual price.
Roy

Newthings,

I have a set of half shafts that need to be rebuilt (got them from a bone yard). Indy is in Richmond which is only about an hour from me. Lemme know if they need them for a test run on their re-build house.

Tom

newthings
03/15/2010, 12:02 PM
Thanks Tom,
I done did it two weeks ago. I placed the order with Indy 4x4 and got no feedback. I called again and found the contact was at a show, but the process was started. Still no feedback until the parts arrived. $230.00 delivered. 4x4 spoke of two types of construction. He cautioned me to get the OEM type. I have no better description. Performance good. Communication fair. Thanks for thinking of me.
Roy

tom4bren
03/16/2010, 09:37 AM
Are they asking for a core?

newthings
03/16/2010, 10:02 AM
No core required.
Roy

Marlin
03/16/2010, 04:37 PM
Finally got everything put together today. New CVs, manual hubs....aussie locker, new upper ball joints, lowers, still need to redo tie rod ends and steering box but I ran out of time.

Spyder
03/26/2010, 09:37 PM
Marlin,
How's your progress?
Also were there any part number on the boxes of the CVs that you got?

Mark

Marlin
03/27/2010, 04:23 AM
They worked just fine. No problems at all. The company was Car Parts Wholesale on Ebay. They dont have any listed right now, but all you have to do is email or call them. They had at least 8 left.

Spyder
03/27/2010, 01:06 PM
Thanks!
Looks like I will order some.

Marlin
04/15/2010, 12:28 PM
Alright, I am updating the thread here, if anyone has questions let me know.

The CVs I bought from Ebay busted on the trail, both of them. Now, I am running locked front end, I believe that is why they failed since there were two other trucks that busted a total of 3 other CVs, also non-oem brand. If you are open diff, or just a daily driver, they are just fine. They are sent me two brand new ones. Took less than 4 days to get here, no questions asked, I just have to send broken ones back.
I also found out for you junkyard scroungers, the 98-01 passport uses the same CVs as the VX!!! That should open up more options for us as well. I am going to hit the yards soon and scrounge up as many as I can. Yippee!!!

phines
04/15/2010, 12:33 PM
I also found out for you junkyard scroungers, the 98-01 passport uses the same CVs as the VX!!! That should open up more options for us as well. I am going to hit the yards soon and scrounge up as many as I can. Yippee!!!

Ahaa... That explains why the CVs I put in had Passport spray painted on them! I thought it was just a mistake. :)
________
Pussy4Fun (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/Pussy4Fun/)

LittleBeast
04/16/2010, 09:56 AM

Yeah this is what Indy 4x sold to me and they fit like a charm, my green cups were worn out though :(

Triathlete
07/20/2010, 07:34 PM
I also found out for you junkyard scroungers, the 98-01 passport uses the same CVs as the VX!!!

So I am assuming the same year Rodeo is also an option.

Littlebeast, if you don't mind me asking...what did you pay for your shafts. Just trying to get an idea of price for when I go looking.