PDA

View Full Version : Any current comments/issues with high mileage VX's ??

lasturbo
07/20/2008, 12:06 AM
I have a just acquired a 1999 VX with 133k (engine feels strong, A/C is cold, Tbox and Tranny working fine) but is very "loose" on the road signifying worn suspension/shocks/tie-rods etc. and a rear end whine/bearing whine while driving & decell. I was curious what the VX world has been experiencing with high mileage VX's like mine. Thanks for the time and glad to be part of an exclusive & rare ownership of a VX!
Thanks,
Larry

rowhard
07/20/2008, 06:00 AM
Well, I think most of us have the rear end whine, and at far less mileage. As far as the loose feeling, sounds like you have a good knowledge of that. Also, the short wheel base will also give you that feeling.

Ldub
07/20/2008, 06:52 AM
Another Larry with an Astral Silver...:cool:

I would change the diff. fluid(s) to some fresh new synthetic, use LSD additive in the rear if you use anything other than Royal Purple, FWIW, I personally prefer Amzoil.

And synthetic for everything else...tranny, transfer case & power steering (all three use ATF), grease front bearings, hit all the zerks on the rear drive, crankcase oil & filter, & a new fuel filter couldn't hurt either.
Whine isn't usually bearings, rear bearings usually make a low rumble that sounds like distant thunder when they say goodbye.:_wrench:

I would try adjusting some of the play out of the steering before I started replacing front end parts, though at that mileage, there may be some needed. Look for a post by Maugan VX for the info on steering adjustment.
Energy Suspension poly sway bar bushings also help tighten up the cornering, and as an added bonus, they're greasable...again with the search...

There are "how to's" on just about everything I mentioned, make friends with the search function & WELCOME to the Fam...:thumbup:

VehiGAZ
07/20/2008, 11:12 AM
Check your shocks - they may have been replaced at some point with something not-so-stiff. Or they are just dead after so many miles...

Check your oil frequently until you know what the consumption rate is, then keep an eye on it. At high miles, you could be burning a quart or more per 1000 miles, which will get you into trouble between changes.

Good luck and welcome!

lasturbo
07/21/2008, 09:50 AM
With only 4153 vehicles running around (with the exception of totals), I was interested if anyone was in the "mega miler" club like this Astral Silver 1999VX.
Larry

IndianaVX
07/21/2008, 10:06 AM
hey larry,
welcome to the family, i just wanted to chime in also about the whine.
there is a whine that is heard when the tires are inflated at different lbs. make sure they are all at the same p.s.i., and i assume that they are all matching tires. the t.o.d. doesnt like it when the air in the tires is different, and that causes some whining, and such.
just did my front diff this weekend, and it wasnt bad at all.
thats all i got for now.
good luck, and again, welcome...
david

Anita
07/21/2008, 10:25 AM
hey larry,
welcome to the family, i just wanted to chime in also about the whine.
there is a whine that is heard when the tires are inflated at different lbs. make sure they are all at the same p.s.i., and i assume that they are all matching tires. the t.o.d. doesnt like it when the air in the tires is different, and that causes some whining, and such.
just did my front diff this weekend, and it wasnt bad at all.
thats all i got for now.
good luck, and again, welcome...
david

I second what David said. One underinflated tire can bring about the whine you describe at decell and coasting. Even a tire with more tread wear (albeit the same size) can bring a soft whine.

In my case after a year of use on 4 new tires, I had a blow out and had to purchase a new temp tire. Same size but different tread pattern altogether. I had a aggravating whine until I replaced the temp tire with a new matching tire to what I originally had. No more whine.

Joe Isuzu
07/21/2008, 10:36 AM
I've got a 2000 with 93k, that tends to be on the higher end in this club at least, I've had an annoying whine at highway speeds for some time, I can't remember if it's on throttle or not but my tire pressures are fine and the fluids have been changed, you can do a search on the site for possible culprits, I think I talked with some mechanics about a few of the options they poo-poo'd the idea and I didn't press, I figured I would live with it until it became unbearable

lasturbo
07/21/2008, 11:55 PM
I don't know if that is a honor but it shows he integrity of the product!! I looks like I may be the second owner as per the carfax. My Astral Silver came from New York and was sold 6/2000. For sure my VX needs some shocks (got a connect on Rancho 9000's) and then some tires (it has factory 16's with winter type tires). I like the BFG A/T KO's for all-around usage. They worked great on my 89 Range Rover and past toys. I will then do a full synthetic service, thanks to thread assist, and re-assess thereafter. If I need anything else, I know where to go/check!!!

I do have one question, my left front fender lens is broken. Can you still get factory parts of that nature. I heard body panels, trim, seats etc. are all but extinct.....

As always,
Thanks again,
Larry

deermagnet
07/22/2008, 06:35 AM
I'm an original owner with 174,000+ miles. This is my daily driver and everything is still great. My engine and tranny run perfectly. My engine uses a good chunk of oil, but it has no ill effects. It's been doing that for over 100,000 miles. I check my oil level almost every day. Not because I think it'll go empty in one day. If I'm in the habit of being under the hood so much, I can visually check other fluid levels also and spot any potential problems early. I've spent thousands of dollars on preventive maintenance over the years and it's worth every penny.

My Maintenance Timeline (http://www.wtv-zone.com/markg/maint.html)

I'll be over 200,000 next summer/fall. Randy had 200,000 miles on his '99 in '05 with no major issues.

Mark Griffin (a VX lifer) :_steering

VehiGAZ
07/22/2008, 07:11 AM
There are several higher-mileage VX's. I'm pretty sure someone is over 200k by now.

(Rats - you beat me to the punch, Deermagnet!)

lasturbo
07/22/2008, 09:46 AM
Considering I am starting my "VX Journey" at 133k!! Great maintenance timeline Deer Magnet. The old saying goes, if u take care of the car, it will take care of u!!
Larry

Ldub
07/22/2008, 09:53 AM
Another thing that may need attention is the EGR valve/tube.
It gets carboned up & is a known contributor to oil consumption.
Fairly easy to clean with carb cleaner & a long stiff bristled brush.

LittleBeast
07/22/2008, 12:23 PM
The only thing I would mention is that my VX had sway bar disconnects on it when I got it and once I had a pin fall out and the sway bar disconnected as I pulled up to my house causing a thump and a "loose" feeling.

Oh and just keep an eye on the tranny level and you will be fine for a while. I also have been putting engine restore v6 version in the VX every oil change and I have NEVER had the very common oil use problem, ever. http://www.restoreusa.com/

KING FROG
07/23/2008, 12:30 PM
I am a new owner as well. Mine has 114,000. I have been checking things slowly but right now things seem ok. I had a terrible whine noise when I first got it but tire pressure fixed that.
Still learning lots but now I gotta see about the squeeky sounds when hitting bumps and the seldom clunk when going out of gear and coming to a stop.
mine drives nice and tight though...not "loose" as you say.

window probs seem very normal ....someone stole the stereo before I got it so i gotta figure that out as well.

anyways...my 2cents.

LittleBeast
07/23/2008, 12:50 PM
Still learning lots but now I gotta see about the squeeky sounds when hitting bumps and the seldom clunk when going out of gear and coming to a stop.

Greaseable swaybar bushings should take care of most of the noises, it completely fixed my squeeks.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=521&highlight=sway+bar+bushing

http://www.energysuspension.com/pages/swaybbct.html

They can be ordered at any 4 wheels parts.

Cobrajet
07/23/2008, 03:40 PM
I gotta see about the squeeky sounds when hitting bumpsThe hood latch was another common source of squeeks for many of us. I fixed mine by wrapping the catch with self-fusing rubber tape. Also, my glove box door squeeked until I added extra pads to the bump stops. 113,500 miles and NO squeeks, rattles, or leaks. Gotta love the VX.

tom4bren
07/23/2008, 04:07 PM
"113,500 miles and NO squeeks"

Of course when you use a feather duster on it every time a speck of dirt shows up - it should last forever:)

JK

Gregg

you have the cleanest ride I've seen in a long, long time.

Joe Isuzu
07/24/2008, 05:17 AM
The hood latch was another common source of squeeks for many of us. I fixed mine by wrapping the catch with self-fusing rubber tape. Also, my glove box door squeeked until I added extra pads to the bump stops. 113,500 miles and NO squeeks, rattles, or leaks. Gotta love the VX.

DEFINITELY
If you have a squeak from the front, this is a simple and proven fix. The bushings are also a good idea. Easy fix.
Neither unfortunately cured my high speed whine from the rear, but as I mentioned earlier, I will live with that until it gets obnoxiously loud. For the original post, it sounded more similar to that noise.