PDA

View Full Version : the Dark Knight

snowtrooper1966
07/19/2008, 03:26 AM
Go see it!
Amazing performance by Heath as the Joker. Truly scary. Finally someone understood the character's potential....
Too bad it's a one off.
Posthumous best actor Oscar #2?

kodiak
07/19/2008, 04:48 AM
Epic movie, It was actually more like 2 movies and you get to learn how to make a pencil disappear.:rolleyes:

kodiak
07/19/2008, 04:53 AM
No Spoilers!!

Pepino
07/19/2008, 01:06 PM
im gonna go watch it tonight!

nfpgasmask
07/19/2008, 03:06 PM
I'm going to see it next weekend.

I have heard nothing but good things so far.

Bart

snowtrooper1966
07/19/2008, 06:13 PM
Thought I was gonna have to see it @ my little podunk thater here in Mammoth, but I had to go out of town Thursday, and was able to see it in IMAX.
This may be one we agree on, Bart!

Anita
07/19/2008, 09:55 PM
WOW!!
Hubby and I just saw it today. This is a great summer for movies. :grinr:

circmand
07/19/2008, 11:20 PM
not by a mile sympathy vote for the dead guy

snowtrooper1966
07/20/2008, 08:18 AM
Everyone's entitled to an opinion, buy my vote was not for sympathy, for sure. I thought his performance far surpassed Jack's, who was great, but still looked comical, and not in a good way. IMHO, Heath was scary!
Best,

kodiak
07/20/2008, 10:36 AM
Heath was way more convincing dark and made more sense, Jack was more over the top and cartoony.

nocturnalVX
07/20/2008, 11:23 AM
When Jack played the Joker, it was obviously Jack (same with Jim Carrey's Riddler, Danny Devito's Penguine, etc.). He did a great job, but you knew it was an actor playing a role. I had no idea who this "Heath" guy was going into the movie... not too up on tabloid info and am bad with names. Cece told me who he was after the movie. I have seen him in a few other movies (some I have watched multiple times), and I'd have NEVER guessed that he was the Joker. Very well acted. No accent, very disturbed & evil, and he even used a little of Jack's manner... great tribute to the great Jack Nicholson. The role was his, and he made the character believable.

technocoy
07/20/2008, 10:48 PM
up until this movie I considered Jack nicholsons performance the de facto.

Heath Ledger just blew that all to hell. Sorry.

I guess it depends on A: are you a hardcore batman fan B: if you are, do you subscribe more to the campy style or the serious real world batman.

I for one am a MASSIVE batman fan and I appreciate him being treated very seriously especially since he is one of the few heros without superpowers and is supposed to be a detective. I like that it comes so close to believability.

With that perspective Ledger's performance was astonishing and make Jack look more like a cocky, criminal clown.

Joker is sadistic and ledger played this to a T.

In my opinion this was so close to perfect, I don't want them to do the third one. I just can't imagine them topping this.

johnnyapollo
07/21/2008, 02:49 AM
I agree with all that technocoy said above. Awesome movie and phenominal performances all around. I didn't care for the new "ex girlfriend" though, but that was incidental. Ledger stole this one.

-- John

Jolly Roger VX'er
07/21/2008, 09:24 AM
up until this movie I considered Jack nicholsons performance the de facto.

Heath Ledger just blew that all to hell. Sorry.

I guess it depends on A: are you a hardcore batman fan B: if you are, do you subscribe more to the campy style or the serious real world batman.

I for one am a MASSIVE batman fan and I appreciate him being treated very seriously especially since he is one of the few heros without superpowers and is supposed to be a detective. I like that it comes so close to believability.

With that perspective Ledger's performance was astonishing and make Jack look more like a cocky, criminal clown.

Joker is sadistic and ledger played this to a T.

In my opinion this was so close to perfect, I don't want them to do the third one. I just can't imagine them topping this.

I totally agree! Go see this movie!! I'm wondering how they'll replace the Batmobile. Didn't they say in "Batman Begins" that there were two tumblers??

nfpgasmask
07/26/2008, 05:13 PM
Wow!

4X4 UFO
07/26/2008, 09:00 PM
I saw it twice this weekend. A really great movie on a dozen different levels......

Knigh7s
07/26/2008, 09:13 PM
Seen it twice already! Compared to Jack's version, Ledger was able to create facial expression with the lack of the "forced smile" Jack had to work with. He was dark and just plain scary. Why so serious!!!! I loved it, and will most likely watch it a couple more times. This is a must see...

The friends I went to watch it with, didn't even know Ledger was playing as Joker until I told them at the end... So I believe not everyone just watched it to be sympathetic. It also broke opening day and opening weeken records.

nfpgasmask
07/26/2008, 09:20 PM
I have to say, the only thing I didn't like about it, is that it ended. It was that good. And you know, I am actually slightly depressed that this is all we will ever get of the Joker. Such a shame Ledger died.

Bart

snowtrooper1966
07/26/2008, 09:40 PM
^Thre's hope for you yet, Bart!
Saw it again the other day. I was still on the edge of my seat. That rarley happens the first time around for me watching a film, but the second viewing?
I too lament (as I said in the first post of this thread) that we shall never see such a great portrayal of the Joker again. Perhaps we will be very lucky and they will fly in some cut scenes from this film in the next...
I read somwhere that Bale said at times during the shoot, he would just be an audience member while Ledger was working his magic.
Glad the majority of you seem to be enjoying this as much as I. Perhaps we will see some Acadamy recognition. It's about time they admit that even though the characters started out in the comics, that does not out of hand exclude them from possibly being part of a great story.
Best,

nfpgasmask
07/28/2008, 11:22 AM
^Thre's hope for you yet, Bart!

Hey man, I like GOOD movies, I just really can't stand cheesey Hollywood garbage, like everythingmichaelbayhasdone. :)

Anyway, yes, The Dark Knight was excellent. Easily the greatest comic to screen adaptation to date. The problem is, there are too many directors and film studios that would rather just make a 2 hour piece of entertainment, take in the box office dollars and be done, like everythingmichaelbayhasdone. Seldom does a film crew strive to make a true, lasting piece of cinematic art. Nolan has done this time and time again with his films, and with The Dark Knight he and his crew achieved history. It will be hard to see Batman any other way. Bale's portrayal is top notch, giving the character depth and motive. And Ledger was phenomenal. He WAS the Joker. He turned the city upside-down! His portrayal was truly psychotic, and his presence in any subsequent films will be sorely missed. Lets just hope they do not try to replace him, but rather use outtakes from this film to fill gaps in the next. The script was also amazing. No cheese, just the way I like it. But more than anything, its the darkness and realism. This is what makes this film stand out from most films. Most films are just too happy and sunshiny. Sure, there is a place for that, but this film proves that taking a dark, serious line is what people want. I really hope more directors (and probably more importantly, studios) realize that they don't have to make everything happy and silly and full of cheese. Its ok, and much better to make a dark, realistic film that really sinks in. There were too little kids sitting next to us (like 8 and 10 years old) who started crying. The Joker frightened them, and that is freaking awesome.

Bart

PS - Also, being a former Chicago resident, I was absolutely stunned at how much of a "Chicago film" this was. SOOOO many locations I have personally been to, it was so neat to see the city used this way. Other than the Blues Brothers, there has been no other film that really shows the city the way Batman did. And, I recognized a former co-worker as an extra in one scene, which was really funny!

kodiak
07/28/2008, 02:27 PM
Bart? Why so serious?! Let’s put a smile on that face! :freek:

nfpgasmask
07/28/2008, 02:46 PM
Bart? Why so serious?! Let’s put a smile on that face! :freek:

So good. I love how he tells 2 different stories about his scars, making it obvious he is genuinely insane...good stuff!

Bart

kodiak
07/28/2008, 03:01 PM
I don’t know? The deferent’s between genius and insanity is success.;)

snowtrooper1966
07/28/2008, 07:29 PM
Yea, that was one of the strong selling points. He told both stories with such emotion, that you belive both!

Those poor kids.
Chicken Lady voice ON:
"Scarred, scarred for life"
Chicen Lady voice OFF

Best,

Jolly Roger VX'er
08/13/2008, 03:32 PM
Incredible DIY Tumbler
By John Coyle

Editor

Yup, Bob Dullam built this insane Tumbler replica in his garage, all by himself. Right now, the folks on VW Vortex and SuperheroHype are worshiping him as a god, and one look at the photo below will tell you why. The ace fabricator has been working off of pictures and the "Making of the Tumbler" extra from the Batman Begins DVD, and has custom made everything except the wheels, tires and rear axle. When he's done, the result will be a drivable version of the burliest Batmobile ever. Wow. Even for someone who makes a living building movie replicas, this project is insane.

http://blog.cardomain.com/blog/2008/08/incredible-diy.html?cmp_id=EMC-News

nfpgasmask
08/14/2008, 08:19 AM
I finally saw it last night... it was good but the disguised Batman voice is annoying and hokey - and so was 2-face's ability to function... then again, it is a motion comic so :rolleyes:. I don't think there is much comparison between Jack's and Heath's versions of the Joker, mostly contrast. Both were great versions, but apples to oranges. The uncontrollable tongue flip thing was a great salute to Jack though! As a replay movie... I dunno, I might watch it 1 or 2 more times, but Transformers (yes, I did mention a Michael Bay movie, Mr. Elitist :p), I still watch it every couple months!

Well first off, you're nuts if you think Transformers was superior to The Dark Knight, especially considering that you thought Christian Bale's "Batman voice" was hokey, because I found Transformers to be pretty hokey all the way through. Anyway, I agree that the "Batman voice" seemed a little forced, and since we saw the movie, we have continually joked around about it. Also, I feel exactly opposite about the replay factor. I don't think I will ever willfully watch Transformers again, but The Dark Knight will be viewed several times once it becomes part of my DVD collection. I was in Best Buy the other day, and they had their big 72" super duper plasma TV and surround sound setup on display, and they were showing the first 10 minutes of The Dark Knight in Blu-Ray. I guess they got this footage as a promo deal or something. Anyway, I sat there and watched it over and over about 4 times. That bank robbery scene is just freakin great.

Bart

PS - Yes, I think Michael Bay sucks, and I don't think that makes me an elitist. :)

nfpgasmask
08/14/2008, 08:59 AM
IF YOU DON'T CHEW BIG RED, THEN **** YOU! :bwgy:

Exactly! Except I hate cinnamon flavored stuff. :) Don't worry, I still love you. :)

And I really wasn't disagreeing with you. Laughing at the Batman voice is good stuff. I can already hear us doing it in Elko! :p

You're right, movies are funny, and I just love talking about movies and I love hating Michael Bay. :)

I think The Lord of the Rings trilogy is a cinematic masterpiece, but oh man, it is SOOOO EASY to make fun of. And I love making fun of it. Gandalf The Gay, Dildo Baggins and the Cock Ring of Power! All Hail!

:laughing: Bart

kodiak
08/14/2008, 09:44 AM
Hay! Transformers was the best commercial ever made. Right after that movie I wanted to go out and buy a GM truck and then join the Army. :p

etlsport
08/14/2008, 10:09 AM
Really? I wanted to make out with Megan Fox on the hood of a car while listening to Linkin Park! :bwgy:

:thumbup::thumbup:

So-CalVX
08/14/2008, 11:18 AM
Im with Eric and Zeus on this one.... :bwgy:
but it was the longest GM commercial I've ever seen

Scott Harness
08/14/2008, 02:38 PM
Watch Jack Nicholsons character in The Departed,that's who Keith Ledger is mimicing.When Jack is taliking about rats in his gang,same exact mouth and tongue movements. I was watching The Departed the other night and all of a sudden I'm like HEY! that's the Joker

kodiak
08/14/2008, 03:15 PM
Lets be realistic, you’re not going to get the girl without the new GM vehicle. :rolleyes:

Im with Eric and Zeus on this one.... :bwgy:
but it was the longest GM commercial I've ever seen

nfpgasmask
08/14/2008, 03:29 PM
Megan Fox

was the best part of the movie, really.

Bart

nfpgasmask
08/14/2008, 03:41 PM
Well now we agree.

But that DOES NOT make it a good movie. :)

Bart

nfpgasmask
08/14/2008, 03:44 PM
What if she was naked through the whole thing? :)

Hmmmm....

nfpgasmask
08/14/2008, 03:50 PM
What did you think of the love interest in Dark Knight?

Meh.

don moore
08/15/2008, 12:04 AM
dark knight was a good movie.....:rolleyes:

Ldub
08/15/2008, 06:10 AM
What did you think of the love interest in Dark Knight? She reminds me of this Mormon girl I went out with a couple times, only less obsessed. I think they could have done better... I can't unless I had a new GM, but they could have.

There are only two clear choices you can make here Justin...

1. Just walk away...by that I mean clear your mind of the "she wolf obsession".:smilewink

2. Get in contact, no matter what it takes, with Rob Harvey, & BEG him for his secrets to mysterious world of love...:thumbup:

kodiak
08/15/2008, 10:36 AM
Hay! She was in the best love story ever made. “The Secretary” see it with someone you love. :p
Mormon girls are so knotty when you’re alone with them.:evil:

What did you think of the love interest in Dark Knight? She reminds me of this Mormon girl I went out with a couple times, only less obsessed. I think they could have done better... I can't unless I had a new GM, but they could have.

kodiak
08/15/2008, 10:59 AM
There’re out there, but be careful or you might end up marrying one. :eek:

I keep hearing about those Mormon girls but I still haven't found one - I keep running into the goodie godlies instead of their godly goodies! ;)

Jolly Roger VX'er
08/16/2008, 01:20 AM
There’re out there, but be careful or you might end up marrying one. :eek:

I ran into one at that breakfast place in Moab (Breakfast Jailhouse???)....what a hottie...:flame: