PDA

View Full Version : Seat covers and lumbar support

paultvx
06/29/2003, 11:58 AM
Has anyone tried or bought seat covers? Got a brand to suggest?

Been thinking about getting some seat covers (like Wet Okole) to protect the front seats and also to gain a little bit more padding. Despite the Recaro name, I find the seats a bit uncomfortable on long trips. Lumbar support is a bit lacking too... what's up with that? my VW had no name VW seats and they were more comfortable than these Recaros... man I'm glad I didn't spend the $$$ to put Recaros in that car.

webdog
06/29/2003, 04:14 PM
I have also noted the need for more lumbar support. Let me know if you find a good solution for your questions.:D

newthings
06/29/2003, 07:04 PM
Like so many great brand names, Recaro has made a great product and then found profit in selling their name to be put on whatever minimum level seats with none of the features that made them something good. Poor side and lumbar support with permanent butt groove deformation after a few thousand miles is a bad reflection on anything Recaro.
I think swapping the whole seat is the best idea. Pull the stock seats before they are squashed and reinstall when selling to a collector in 10 or 20 years.
I made a 10" high 2" thick, teardrop (crossection) shaped leather covered foam lumbar support that fits between the side supports. I used a 2" strap running through the support and around the entire seat back to hold the support and allow it to be raised to the best position.
Roy

SGT.BATGUANO
06/29/2003, 07:18 PM
Saddleman has some decent neoprene, non- lumbar support covers. About 80-90$ / pair monochromatic. I suspect you'll have to retract the headrest and thigh supports with any non-custom-made seat covers. They also need to be well strapped down because the backing material slips easily on the leather surface. I think I've seen seat overlays that add the hand bulb inflatable, bladder-type lumbar support.

paultvx
06/29/2003, 10:19 PM
Wet Okole has a set specifically made for the VX. The problem is they charge a premium; $225 for the front set and $225 for the rear. I don't care about the rear... at least until I get a dog, I'll deal with that later.

I found another place online that makes a one size fits all knock-off for $99 a pair. But... the problem is there is no telling how well it fits.

As for lumbar... I've got that figured out, but it's a solution that requires a seat cover. I guess I'll have to send saddleman an email. Thanks for the info.

driver3
06/30/2003, 05:36 AM
I like my seats... I've driven straight through from Cleveland to Flagstaff arizona and had no problems. I keep them conditioned and they still look new. I just wanted to comment because that's one of the things I thought the vx had that surpassed other trucks... Cover/replace them if you will... :D

kpaske
06/30/2003, 07:02 AM
Those Wet Okole seats look really nice. Check them out here:

http://wetokole.net/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WOH&Product_Code=VEHICROSS&Category_Code=ISUZU

Has anyone actually purchased these, and if so, are they worth the $225? (Or $550 for the whole set)

edyavno
06/30/2003, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by driver3
I like my seats... I've driven straight through from Cleveland to Flagstaff arizona and had no problems. I keep them conditioned and they still look new. I just wanted to comment because that's one of the things I thought the vx had that surpassed other trucks... Cover/replace them if you will... :D
Yep, same here. I really like the stock Recaro seats and the only reason I would put covers on them would be to preserve them. I've been on more than a few 6-8 hour trips, and I find that they fit like a glove.
Strange that some people have problems with lumbar support: I don't feel any lack of it, and a few of my passengers who normally use a small pillow for lower back support, don't have any need for it with my Recaros.
Have you tried adjusting the seats to fit you better?

Dallas4u
06/30/2003, 08:27 AM
I love the seats as well. I have made a trip from Dallas, TX to Portland, OR and thought they were comfortable from beginning to end.

I do, though, think preservation is key here. I would love to get those Wet Okole covers someday... I didn't see a red that matched well, though.

Vasha13
06/30/2003, 11:21 AM
Maybe everyone else knew this but I sure didn't!

I am having normal wear on my driver's seat and thought maybe I should order another seat so I could have a new one in 5 years or so when the two front seats were really mismatched. (passenger seat is like new). Thinking about this now, I know there are other options but anyway...

I had no idea that ONE of our recaro seats is priced at $2,452!!! When the dealership came back with that quote, I thought they were talking about the whole set of seats. OMG!

paultvx
06/30/2003, 11:44 AM
Contact a Recaro dealer. The seat is the Recaro Trend.

www.recaro.com

edyavno
06/30/2003, 01:12 PM
From a quick query on google (http://www.google.com/search?q=recaro+trend&start=0), the same all-leather seats can be bought for around $900-1000. The only thing that will be missing will be the Vehicross logo.
At least, unlike yakima rack which can only be bought through isuzu (for around $300!), this is available through other channels.

Vasha13
06/30/2003, 01:16 PM
That's what I thought - they would be about $1K. Thanks for the link, I will check it out if that's the way I decide to go.

I think I've decided that when and if the time comes to spruce them up, I can pay a car upholsterer to redo them and reinsert the vehicross leather piece back in. Its only the seats that are showing mild wear, not the back part.

paultvx
06/30/2003, 02:13 PM
I think it'd be more cost effective to clean and condition the seats... then cover with seat covers to prevent further wear & tear. Spending $2000 just so you can have a good looking interior for the next owner is going a bit too far... at least I'm not willing to go that far.

Someone else mentioned installing aftermarket seats earlier... well, I don't know if anyone has actually tried doing that. My guess is not, and for a good reason. It's nearly impossible. None of the aftermarket seat manufacturers make a mounting base for the VX. You'd have to hack it off of the stock seats and do some fabrication to make it possible. Worth the time and money? Heck no.

Back on to the toipc... has anyone tried seat covers? how's the fit? where did you get it and at what price?

VehiX
06/30/2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by paultvx
None of the aftermarket seat manufacturers make a mounting base for the VX. You'd have to hack it off of the stock seats and do some fabrication to make it possible. Worth the time and money? Heck no.

Although I tend to want to agree with you on this comment, just keep in mind the side markers are from the Mazda miata and the fog light lense is from Nissan, who knows ... maybe the seat rails are from another well known manufacturer;Db;

Ahhhh the good ol' VX, the Frankenstien of the auto industry :smack:

paultvx
06/30/2003, 11:17 PM
Okay.. you go spend your $ and find out what seat mounts work and report back to us. Can we please get back on topic?