PDA

View Full Version : VX Short Film - Ideas anyone?

nfpgasmask
07/17/2008, 09:31 AM
6 VehiCROSSES. Maybe 7 or 8 if a few more people come along. In the middle of the desert. I am thinking of shooting some sort of short film, something really simple that can be edited together. It can be funny, serious, or whatever. Anyone have any ideas?

Bart

Techy-D
07/17/2008, 11:14 AM
You could film some critters (scorpion, snake,... comes to mind) doing their thing out in the desert area, when some super secret government jet (that just happens to be flying by), has troubles and leaks a little of it's super rejuvinating/self healing chemical, before it rejuvinates and self heals of course. When the drips hit the dust (zoomed in and in super slow motion of course), things happen to what ever gets hit. The scorpion and snake that were on an old abandoned truck chassis get rejuvinated into a VX! Maybe different things become different VX's?

Just a thought??? Hey, you asked! :grinr:

circmand
07/17/2008, 01:27 PM
:p

JoFotoz
07/17/2008, 02:37 PM
Maybe some "stop motion" stuff....?

Doors open...doors shut.

Hoods up...hoods down

....and some Laurel & Hardy style speeded up "chase scenes??

:rolleyes:....jo

nfpgasmask
07/17/2008, 02:58 PM
Maybe some "stop motion" stuff....?

Doors open...doors shut.

Hoods up...hoods down

:rolleyes:....jo

Actually I kinda like that idea Jo. It would be cool to park a VX of one color, roll camera. Move another VX of another color into its place, roll camera, etc etc. Good idea. It would be easy too.

I was also trying to think of a skit of some sort. Something corny or tongue in cheek. I kind of like my old idea of each color having a ranking or a certain "job" that differs between colors. I was thinking we could all bring some sort of simple "costume" that goes along with our VXes. Like me and Justin in black coveralls with black goggles (or better yet, gas masks). Richard in yellow coveralls with a black stripe and his cool bee logo. Beau with a white painters suit on, Clint with like a silvery metallic spaceman outfit, etc etc. And like we are all future warriors meeting up for some weird event in the desert. Wow, that is so nerdy and stupid....but, might be entertaining and funny at least!

Bart

Techy-D
07/17/2008, 03:04 PM
Actually I kinda like that idea Jo. .... we could all bring some sort of simple "costume" that goes along with our VXes. Like me and Justin in black coveralls with black goggles (or better yet, gas masks). Richard in yellow coveralls with a black stripe and his cool bee logo. Beau with a white painters suit on, Clint with like a silvery metallic spaceman outfit, etc etc. And like we are all future warriors meeting up for some weird event in the desert. Wow, that is so nerdy and stupid....but, might be entertaining and funny at least!

Bart

The last one could pull up in his Foxfire jump out wearing a small swimsuit and his all over body sunburn with white around his eyes where he had been wearing goggles. :grinr:

kodiak
07/17/2008, 03:14 PM
That would be funny, I can almost guaranty that any thing we do has been done before. If everyone could find some examples on YouTube of what they are thinking of it mite help. ;)

nfpgasmask
07/17/2008, 03:28 PM
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]That would be funny, I can almost guaranty that any thing we do has been done before.

Hmmm, I dunno. I mean, the basic idea yes, but the VX is what will make it different.

Bart

nfpgasmask
07/17/2008, 03:58 PM
...I just whipped this shot list up. It would be pretty easy to pull off, and edit together later. Its cheesey and silly, but I think it would be fun.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
EXT. Day

1 – Fade in, L/S establishing desolate desert landscape

2 – Medium C/U of a lizard on a rock, insects buzz breaking the silence, but somehow adding to it

3 – Another L/S establishing the landscape, wind blowing in the BG

4 – Low M/S, VX comes up fast, brakes hard sending dust all over the
camera

5 – Low M/S just below the drivers door. Door opens and boots come out, camera booms up and around the back of the driver and stops M/S on the back of his head once he is out of the vehicle

6 – C/U of his face, dust still settles around his head, he looks around slowly and cracks a smile, and then lifts off his mask as the dust settles

7 – L/S profiles the driver and his VX, and then crabs to reveal a line of other VXers waiting for him next to their vehicles, music comes in

8 – Slow crab shot rolling along the line-up, stopping on each driver, freeze frame, titles come in with V.O. revealing the codenames for each driver.

9 – Final M/S revealing the original driver and his codename

10 – L/S of the entire crew, weapons in hand, getting into their VXes, rolling out past the camera, camera then stays static on the dust left behind by the vehicles, and the titles come in ala Mad Max …."VX MADNESS"

The remaining shots can be a montage with music of us racing around in the desert, shooting guns, drinking and partying in general. We can make all that up as we go along. Ending with us all driving off into the distance after about 5-7 minutes.

OK so, its silly, but who is in? More ideas?

Bart

PS - Oh, by the way C/U = close-up, M/S = Medium Shot, LS = Long Shot, V.O. = Voice Over.

kodiak
07/17/2008, 04:59 PM
That sounds cool! We need lots of low angle shots and close ups. Watch some car reviews on Top Gear and you will get an idea of what we need. I can do almost anything with the editing except for slow motion. You need a special camera for that. :confused:

CrnCnn
07/17/2008, 05:12 PM
Im in. Are you planning this while in Elko? Or just around here?

Knigh7s
07/17/2008, 05:18 PM
If you guys come a bit closer down here towards Vegas, I'll be interested! :)

tom4bren
07/18/2008, 07:41 AM
Sounds like you've got the plot firmly in your mind but my vote would have been for a comedy.

Film Zeus running of Goonie Bird's foot & then just follow him around to see what happens next. Definitely fodder for LMAO

tom4bren
07/18/2008, 09:03 AM
:):):)

circmand
07/18/2008, 09:06 AM
duck toys where there is the mama and then baby ducks on a string. Close up on the kids hand then follow the string down to the ducks. But when you get there it is a VX and then follow the line down to one VX after another then pan out to a row of VX following each other in a line then pan out further to a super imposed Giant pulling the VX's. A good demonstration on boys and their toys from young kid to adulthood. The end could even be one of those cymbal playing monkeys.

nfpgasmask
07/18/2008, 09:08 AM
That sounds cool! We need lots of low angle shots and close ups. Watch some car reviews on Top Gear and you will get an idea of what we need. I can do almost anything with the editing except for slow motion. You need a special camera for that. :confused:

Yeah, I think I will try to storyboard it up next week. I'll scan the drawings and then post em and we can work on it a little. I know what you mean about low angles. I have a full editing suite as well, and my brother can do the music. It would be for use both to edit it in different ways to see what we come up with.

Bart

kodiak
07/18/2008, 09:09 AM
Just be thinking of something cool to say for your last words. :p

I'll probably end up shooting myself somehow and then you can see the whole thing on Faces of Death 20!

nfpgasmask
07/18/2008, 09:09 AM
Im in. Are you planning this while in Elko? Or just around here?

Yeah, out in Elko, right now we have 6. We need to get your VX fixed up and we will have 7!

w00t!

Bart

nfpgasmask
07/18/2008, 09:10 AM
I'll probably end up shooting myself somehow and then you can see the whole thing on Faces of Death 20!

Justin, have you ever shot a real gun before? :laughing:

Bart

kodiak
07/18/2008, 09:21 AM
To Cool! :thumbup:

Yeah, I think I will try to storyboard it up next week. I'll scan the drawings and then post em and we can work on it a little. I know what you mean about low angles. I have a full editing suite as well, and my brother can do the music. It would be for use both to edit it in different ways to see what we come up with.

Bart

nfpgasmask
07/31/2008, 02:06 PM
OK, its silly and poorly rendered, but here is my idea for the opening scene. Obviously, I could beef it up more. After I drew this up, I was thinking, as the first VX is speeding up, we could cut to several close ups of the other VXers waiting.

http://www.nofuture.com/myvx/vxvid1.jpg

Sorry for the poor illustrations. I can draw ppl ok, but I have no idea how some of you guys can draw technical (like drawing the VX acurately).

Any input?

Bart

kodiak
07/31/2008, 02:39 PM
Nice story board, I like it! I see what you’re thinking. This is a remix I made last nigh that might work with this tell me what you think. Sorry for the quality, my mp3 export codec is giving me problems.

nfpgasmask
07/31/2008, 02:49 PM
[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]Nice story board, I like it! I see what you’re thinking.

Right, that's all I wanted to do is get the idea on paper. I wish I could illustrate better, oh well.

This is a remix I made last nigh that might work with this tell me what you think. Sorry for the quality, my mp3 export codec is giving me problems.

Sounds cool. What is it a remix of? If you like that type of music (background type stuff) we should talk. I like a lot of stuff like that...

Bart

kodiak
07/31/2008, 02:55 PM
Beowulf, It sounds good at any quality be it YouTube or DVD.

nfpgasmask
07/31/2008, 03:04 PM
Beowulf, It sounds good at any quality be it YouTube or DVD.

Beowulf? You mean the soundtrack from that movie that came out a while ago?

Bart

kodiak
07/31/2008, 03:12 PM
That would be the one. The sound track in the movie is pretty good.
I had to do a lot to stretch it out and remove the gaps in the melody.

Beowulf? You mean the soundtrack from that movie that came out a while ago?

Bart

snowtrooper1966
07/31/2008, 03:16 PM
OK, its silly and poorly rendered, but here is my idea for the opening scene. Obviously, I could beef it up more. After I drew this up, I was thinking, as the first VX is speeding up, we could cut to several close ups of the other VXers waiting.

http://www.nofuture.com/myvx/vxvid1.jpg

Sorry for the poor illustrations. I can draw ppl ok, but I have no idea how some of you guys can draw technical (like drawing the VX acurately).

Any input?

Bart

You, sir, have way too much time on your hands;)
Nice boards! Since I have way too much time on my hands, count the Dragon and me in!
Best,

nfpgasmask
08/01/2008, 08:13 AM
You, sir, have way too much time on your hands;)
Nice boards! Since I have way too much time on my hands, count the Dragon and me in!
Best,

Absolutely. I need to make another page...

Bart

nfpgasmask
08/01/2008, 11:16 AM
I just opened that board... that's too funny! It is going to be a fun weekend!

Man, I can't wait!

Bart

kodiak
08/01/2008, 02:03 PM
Looks like we need an AK. Anybody have one they can bring?:p

nfpgasmask
08/01/2008, 02:13 PM
Looks like we need an AK. Anybody have one they can bring?:p

YES. BRINGING. :)

Bart

kodiak
08/01/2008, 03:02 PM
Cool! I’ll bring the flame thrower!:naughty:

YES. BRINGING. :)

Bart

nfpgasmask
08/01/2008, 03:14 PM
Cool! I’ll bring the flame thrower!:naughty:

Don't tease me like that. Flamethrowers are awesome. I actually thought of taking one of those huge super soakers and fabbing up a metal barrel for one so I could make a home made thrower. :)

Bart

kodiak
08/01/2008, 03:26 PM
I love the pyro in TF2! It’s one of my favorite caricatures.
http://randomfu.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/tf2lr1.jpg

nfpgasmask
08/01/2008, 03:30 PM
I love the pyro in TF2! It’s one of my favorite caricatures.
http://randomfu.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/tf2lr1.jpg

I dunno man, I like his gas mask and all, but TF2 is just way too cartoony. I tried to get into it, and in the long run, went back to CS:Source. The GunGame Mod in my opinion is the single greatest thing to happen to CS. GunGame is so much fun! Have you played CS with Gun Game?

Bart

kodiak
08/01/2008, 04:00 PM
That’s what I thought at first to. After figuring out the caricatures strengths and weaknesses and how to strategize TF2 became one of the most entertaining games I have ever played. I’ve played CS for years. It’s fun, but it’s no TF2. You need to give TF2 another chance.

I dunno man, I like his gas mask and all, but TF2 is just way too cartoony. I tried to get into it, and in the long run, went back to CS:Source. The GunGame Mod in my opinion is the single greatest thing to happen to CS. GunGame is so much fun! Have you played CS with Gun Game?

Bart

SYNTHETICDARKNESS
08/01/2008, 05:06 PM
You Could Also Make A Modern Day Version Of The Texas Chainsaw Or Something Like It. We Make A Lot Of Weird Movies Up Here Just Fooling Around, Damn It Were Never Gonna Win That Oscar. You Could Start The Open With A Chase Seen Off Roading Then Out Of The Woods The Other Vehicle With A Bunch Of Off Road Lights Comes Barrelling Out (don't Know If I Spelled That Right Oh Well) Of The Woods With Some Raw Hyde All Over It And So On. Just One Of My Opinions So Hope That Helps A Little With Some Ideas.:)

nfpgasmask
08/02/2008, 02:03 PM
OK, so after the opening scene, I had in mind just a nice compilation of us acting crazy in our VXes. Kinda like this:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=B5sejMjpICs&feature=related

Freakin' great fun!

Bart

snowtrooper1966
08/02/2008, 09:47 PM
I do like the tow strap tug O war!

Ldub
08/02/2008, 10:56 PM
A vampire VX, that goes out by itself at night and sucks the gas & oil out of Jeeps & Hummners...:naughty:

And maybe eats their tires too...:rolleyesg

snowtrooper1966
08/02/2008, 11:44 PM
I was just waiting for you to come up with something like that:)
That would be great for animation!
I have one that would need to be animated as well, since we are both giving the VX anthropomorphic qualities.
I was thinking of having my Dragon daydreaming during the upcoming campout, how it would look if it had mods like some of the other forum members, then at last turning into a Dragon, flying up in the sky and roasting the modded VX's with his flame thrower breath, happy in the knowledge it is fine the way it is. I am sure Freud could read something into that, and am sure other members will....
I swear, I love all your mods (even the "offset from hell")!!!!
The idea just popped in my cranium.

Ldub
08/03/2008, 07:07 AM
I was just waiting for you to come up with something like that:)
That would be great for animation!
I have one that would need to be animated as well, since we are both giving the VX anthropomorphic qualities.
I was thinking of having my Dragon daydreaming during the upcoming campout, how it would look if it had mods like some of the other forum members, then at last turning into a Dragon, flying up in the sky and roasting the modded VX's with his flame thrower breath, happy in the knowledge it is fine the way it is. I am sure Freud could read something into that, and am sure other members will....
I swear, I love all your mods (even the "offset from hell")!!!!
The idea just popped in my cranium.

Jeez Dude...and I thought we were becoming friends...LOL...:smilewink

Roast MY vx will ya...this aggression will not stand man...:cool:

That's too funny, a VX that would actually "turn" on it's own Bros & Sistz...AS IF!:rolleyesg

Note to self: never go camping with snowtrooper66.

snowtrooper1966
08/03/2008, 07:56 AM
Note to self: never go camping with snowtrooper66.

As always, Dub, you crack me up....

OK now for the sunshine and butterflies version:
The Dragon rises on wing, draws a mighty breath, and blows Mica Green paint over all the VX's....

Better?

SYNTHETICDARKNESS
08/03/2008, 08:21 AM
sounds awesome. what about after it blows paint all over the other vx's that they start to morph into dragons, kinda like a plaque.

snowtrooper1966
08/03/2008, 06:17 PM
^
Excellent twist!

Since I was in sunshine and butterflies mode, I was trying to find an antonym for PLAGUE online, but for the life of me, could only get synonym results....

kodiak
08/04/2008, 12:54 AM
I’ve been play around with some movie intro ideas and this is one I throe together,
tell me what you think. :rolleyes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXVNqlIMlOc

SYNTHETICDARKNESS
08/04/2008, 07:03 AM
love how it starts out, like the opening credits to a great horror movie. after that scene you think you could make a vx completely covered in snow like it crashed landed from outer space then have some people unthaw it almost like john carpenter's the thing and have the story line thicking from beginning to the middle of the movie, then it turns to a dragon and so on. just one of my thoughts.:bgwo:

kodiak
08/04/2008, 11:29 AM
love how it starts out, like the opening credits to a great horror movie.

That was my tribute to one of the best horror movies of all time, TRON.:p

snowtrooper1966
08/04/2008, 05:21 PM
OK, I'll bite.....
Tron a horror movie?

kodiak
08/04/2008, 06:26 PM
I don’t think Syntheticdarkness has seen Tron.:eek:

OK, I'll bite.....
Tron a horror movie?

snowtrooper1966
08/04/2008, 07:12 PM
I thoght your reply to him was confirming his assumption that Tron was horror, and that perhaps you thought it was horrible. I should have know better, since you thought enough to use it in your intro!
I really dig that film. Some of the first big budget hollywood CGI. Can't wait untill it gets the BluRay treatment. The light cycle sequence with uncompressed HD audio will be sick!
Best,

nfpgasmask
08/04/2008, 09:11 PM
You guys are funny. I had in mind something a little more like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNHOBa_RBVU&feature=related

The real question is, do you guys seriously want to try to put something together? It actually takes some amount of planning and dedication to put a short together that actually amounts to anything. So let me know. I think it would be fun, but I don't want to bring my video camera and rigging if we aren't gonna be a little serious at least! :p

Bart

PS - Richard, what are you using for editing stuff? Premiere? After Affects? Director? Something else?

kodiak
08/04/2008, 09:38 PM
If you’re serious I’m serious. Your right, it needs to be organized. If there are too many cooks in the kitchen it could get cluttered. I trust you’re taste so what ever you need me to do I’ll do it. If it’s in my skill set that is, I use premiere. ;)

snowtrooper1966
08/04/2008, 10:36 PM
I seriously want to make the Dragon Dream flik, but I don't think I can get the dragon to daydream on cue, so I am up for your vision. Just let me know how I can help (in addition to not hijacking ur thread;))
Best,

SYNTHETICDARKNESS
08/05/2008, 08:05 AM
sorry never seen tron, went to watch previews to make sure i didn't see it. gonna have to rent it to see what it's like, and snow you could have your dragon daydream just by starting at a distance then zooming in closer then you would make like some kinda distortion around it then go from there to the daydream, kinda like dragonballz when they power up or get real mad the energy around them.

nfpgasmask
08/05/2008, 08:49 AM
If you’re serious I’m serious. Your right, it needs to be organized. If there are too many cooks in the kitchen it could get cluttered. I trust you’re taste so what ever you need me to do I’ll do it. If it’s in my skill set that is, I use premiere. ;)

OK then. I will bring the gear. I have done 3 shorts before, so I think have a fairly decent idea of the flow of things, and of course, I am always happy to here input and take suggestions from others so no worries there. I just know from the little experience I have, that making a short film is not easy, to say the least. My number 1 rule of thumb, is if you think it was take 2 hours to do something, it will probably take 6.

Bart