PDA

View Full Version : TOP SECRET PROJECT - to be released in a few weeks

taylorRichie
07/14/2008, 08:18 PM
Ok fellow VXers...

I need your help...

http://obcserver.net/vega/

I need to come up with 20 different patterns for our LED brake light flasher.

The application works by first choosing how many "frames" you want the pattern to have (on off cycles). Choose 2 (select the 1, and put in 2) then you can do a simple on off (blinking) light. (change brightness on frame 2 to 0).

Max Brightness is 200 (this is 100% on, standard LED brightness) Duration, 40 is equal to .5 seconds.

Play around with it and help me come up with different blinking patterns.

To get an idea of what is happening punch in say 20 frames, and hit random, and then make the duration all to 5.

You should have a fast blinking random brake light (probably the safest thing you could have on the back of your vehicle)

Once you have a pattern tuned to how you like it, click Output Array, and post the array in a reply message here.

Take a look at my Attached image for an example pattern. If you duplicate this pattern you'll see that the brake light strobes from off to on.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/vegaScreen.png

If you come up with a cool pattern it just might make it into the light :D

Either way let me know what you think of the project.

It's an LED controller, it'll have 20 different patterns, and you can toggle between patterns using a Keychain FOB (like an alarm FOB).

Installation is two wires, one robs your brake light signal, the other is ground. Very very simple. Will work on all LED brake lights, or LED lights for that matter.

Richie

Sooner this project has wrapped the sooner the TOD controller will be finished for release.

Knigh7s
07/14/2008, 08:46 PM
hey, thats cool, i was just playing with it. but i was hoping you can make it go left and right :( like KITT or even make it do left half blink twice then right half blink twice kinda like a patrol car type thing...

taylorRichie
07/14/2008, 09:42 PM
We have that product too... but it requires a replacement of actual brake lights... And most 3BL don't allow for direct replacements. So we have kind of let those go by the wayside.

Bulldoggie
07/15/2008, 08:13 AM
A couple of years ago, I thought it would be a good idea to have the 3rd brake light flash, blink, ect.. When the car is in reverse (Like a silent back-up alarm)
Could this be done with your project.
I thought Tone's flasher kit. does light from side to side (like Kitt)?

Knigh7s
07/15/2008, 01:13 PM
Thats a great idea on the reverse flashing. As for Tones flasher kit, all it does is flash the 3rd brake light when pressing the brakes like new model cars...

A couple of years ago, I thought it would be a good idea to have the 3rd brake light flash, blink, ect.. When the car is in reverse (Like a silent back-up alarm)
Could this be done with your project.
I thought Tone's flasher kit. does light from side to side (like Kitt)?

AlaskaVX
07/15/2008, 02:49 PM
Could you get some Night Rider action action going? Now that would be sweet!

taylorRichie
07/15/2008, 05:01 PM
Can't do night rider unless you replace the entire 3BL, and ours isn't friendly for replacement. You would have to dremel out your old one, and swap out a new board... We were originally going to make one, but the VX just isn't a good candidate. We have a model that we sell for the standard GM 3BL (H2, Suburban, escalade, jimmy, blazer, tahoe etc.) all use it.

But we can't control each individual LED with its current configuration... So we're limited to different all ON/OFF and percentages of brightness. (which is still cool) ;)

As for Reverse light, it would work for that, would require some relays but would definitely work. Once we release them I'll include a wiring diagram for use with reverse lights as well.

Thmstec
09/26/2008, 07:41 PM
:THREAD RESURRECTION:

Had an idea for the third brake light-- and thought this might be a good place to put it. But I was thinking it would be really cool of the third light would be pressure sensitive. Like the harder you brake the brighter it lights up. How hard do you think that would be to do?

taylorRichie
09/27/2008, 07:18 AM
Honestly I have no idea probably not a good idea to tap into anything electronic on the brakes so you'd have to install a switch at the brake pedal which might be a bit difficult. And probably not a lot of people would do.

hmmm.... Have to think about that one.

Ldub
09/27/2008, 07:38 AM
:THREAD RESURRECTION:

Had an idea for the third brake light-- and thought this might be a good place to put it. But I was thinking it would be really cool of the third light would be pressure sensitive. Like the harder you brake the brighter it lights up. How hard do you think that would be to do?

Honestly I have no idea probably not a good idea to tap into anything electronic on the brakes so you'd have to install a switch at the brake pedal which might be a bit difficult. And probably not a lot of people would do.

hmmm.... Have to think about that one.

I think you would have to tap into the brake lines somewhere, or maybe the master cylinder, with a pressure sensitive switch to make that work.
I don't know if such a thing even exists...just thinkin' out loud...:_wrench:

tysamigo
10/05/2008, 09:17 PM
the night rider thing would have been soooooooooooooo cool :cool:

taylorRichie
10/06/2008, 07:58 AM
Yeah we have nightrider style lighting with 16 different patterns for several different vehicles. They could be retrofit in the Vehicross, but our 3BL isn't a good candidate. you'd be better off mounting one elsewhere.

tysamigo
10/06/2008, 09:18 PM
are there pics of any type of knight-rider light assembly that would look great and replace the oem version? I wouldn't mind changing it out to a much "cooler" version :)

Tyler

taylorRichie
10/09/2008, 07:34 AM
The version we made is a direct replacement for GM products, (Jimmy, hummer, Suburban, escalade etc.)

It's about half the size of our VX light, and would require a bit of modification to make work. :( I'll see if I can find some old video files lying around. Currently all of the vehicles we had with them (personally) are sold.

Knigh7s
10/10/2008, 01:09 AM
Here is the guys (http://shop.autoi.com/osb/showitem.cfm?Category=0) that did the new Knight-Rider Lights... I'm just waiting for the production version...

They do have a normal single row LED version that "might" work...

taylorRichie
10/13/2008, 05:06 PM
Let me know what you're after, We've made a ton of custom lights, and ours have 16 different patterns in case you get bored of Knight Rider.

I was originally planning on building our light for the Vehicross, it just ended up that our housing is an absolute pain to work with (pull it off and you'll see, absolutely no room for a PCB) But if you want a light to retro fit or to put elsewhere, We have 16" lights. Plus a controller to adjust the pattern, or you can adjust jumper settings.

The Vega project was hatched because our 3BL housing sucks. And it'll be perfect for motorcycles looking for extra "attention" safety...

Pretty soon we'll be doing more and more custom work.

http://www.advancedledlighting.com

That's my brother's company for doing custom lighting.