PDA

View Full Version : Looking for leg room...

McPues
07/12/2008, 05:24 PM
I am currently the proud owner of a 2003 Honda Element, but after seeing a VX a few years back, I can't seem to satisfy the itch it gave me. Before I make the decision to seriously seek out a VX, I need to know what the leg room is. I have found the official stats on the net, but numbers don't mean much in regards to actual comfort.

I am 6'8" and really need the leg and head room. Are there any members here close to my height, or have had a friend drive their VX, who can share some info on this subject?

Thanx in advance.

Greasemonkey
07/13/2008, 04:33 AM
The front seats are height adjustable but you may struggle with leg room - although i am sure the seat runners are adjustable and can be moved back with minor work rear leg room is huge
cheers
Steve

Joe Isuzu
07/13/2008, 10:13 AM
actually, the front seats aren't height adjustable for the US versions. At least as far as I know as I have the OEM seats and they're only adjustable fore-aft as well as the standard backrest adjustment. However, they do offer leg extenders. Basically, you can pull the front cushion out a little to help support your hamstrings on long trips. I'm 6'3" and have plenty of room. The steering wheel is adjustable for rake (not reach) as well. My seat is not all the way back but if it was, I could still drive but it wouldn't necessarily be safe as I would have to reach somewhat for the controls. Seeing as how it's such a pain in the butt to get in the back seat, I doubt you will have someone sit behind you often, so even with your increased height over me, I think the VX would work. And even though the element is more useful and better built, the VX is WAAAAAAAAAAAY cooler. :)

IndianaVX
07/13/2008, 12:33 PM
Mc,
i am 6'9" on a good day when my back doesnt have me down, and i fit comfortably. you DO have to get used to many things visability wise though. you will have to get used to looking UNDER the rear view mirror at a 4 way stop to see what the other cars are doing. i have only hit my head once on the headliner, and that was due to an unseen hump in the road, and a little excess speed on my part. also, passengers are pretty tightly packed behind my driver seat from the tilt of the back of the seat, but even on the few occasions theres been someone back there on my side, driver side, i have been able to scoot the seat up and give them some room, and still be alright up front. i guess you just learn to adjust for something youve fallen in love with!!
good luck with your search.

david
IndianaVX

tom4bren
07/14/2008, 05:48 AM
If your addiction for a VX is bad enough & the seats don't go back far enough for you, brackets could probably be fabricated to push everything back a couple of inches. Tone sells some brackets to move it forward so it should be theoretically possible.

VX owners are a proud bunch. If you can find a local member, I'm sure they'd let you try one on for size (just so they can show off their rig).

nfpgasmask
07/14/2008, 10:21 AM
So McPues and Indiana, you mean to tell me you guys are nearly 7' tall??? :eek: Jeez, makes me feel like a midget!!

Anyway, I would say leg room and what not are fine, but headroom would be an issue. I mean, I am 5'11" and my head will occasionally slam the "OH S]-[IT" handle when I am off road. But then again, I don't sit "gangster" style either. I prefer an upright posture...

I would say your best bet is to go find one and test drive it. You will know right away.

Bart

Joe Isuzu
07/14/2008, 10:51 AM
So McPues and Indiana, you mean to tell me you guys are nearly 7' tall??? :eek: Jeez, makes me feel like a midget!!

Anyway, I would say leg room and what not are fine, but headroom would be an issue. I mean, I am 5'11" and my head will occasionally slam the "OH S]-[IT" handle when I am off road. But then again, I don't sit "gangster" style either. I prefer an upright posture...

I would say your best bet is to go find one and test drive it. You will know right away.

Bart

Headroom should be ok imo, just make sure you duck when you enter. And yes, you will be straining your neck to see if the light changed, I do that already and I'm several inches shorter.
But Bart, think of it this way, there's a number of cars growing up that I always vowed to have, but I kept getting taller and taller. It's a little depressing knowing you can afford an Esprit or a TR8 but can't really fit in one. Being tall is nice, but there are drawbacks. However, I can only imagine how being close to 7' limits your vehicle choices.

IndianaVX
07/14/2008, 11:23 AM
Mc,
one other thing....
when first looking to get my vx, i was asking the same question about leg room, and somewhere on the site, use the search button, there is an article about lowering, and maybe scooting the seat back a bit more than factory, and i was prepping to do this within the first week of ownership, whenever that would be.....
2 years, and a couple of months later, i still havent done that mod, and dont feel like i need to. and i too sit upright. you will adjust fine, i would think.
i do concider instead of a ball joint flip, doing a rear view mirror flip, one to raise the mirror a bit, and two, to get a better "downview" angle out the rear window, dont know if it would work, but something i think about. and yeah, also, i find that i am never on the white line at a stop light in town, im always some feet away so im not laying on the armrest to see the stop light.
look for one for sale close to you, or yeah, look up a member around you with the search feature. but be careful if buying, the love of these can be strong, dont let that make you not hear something, or not see that dent, etc, etc. find one that you feel good about. i drove almost 7 hrs each way to get mine out of state. and dont regret it one bit.

david

tom4bren
07/14/2008, 12:34 PM
I'm only 5'8" & my head is almost at the headliner. I guess I have a disproportionately long torso.