PDA

View Full Version : Alert! Your auto warranty is expiring!

nfpgasmask
07/11/2008, 09:46 AM
Is anyone else getting bombarded with this crap? I've been getting these automated calls on my desk phone at work, at least once a day. Its been months. A while ago I started getting them on my work cel phone. Now I am getting these calls on my personal cel phone.

Its an automated phone call with a recording that says something like, "hello, my name is Josh, and our records indicate your current auto warranty is set to expire, protect your family with an extended warranty, its not to late, press one to be connect to an operator...."

Its got to be some sort of identity theft phone scam. Really freakin annoying.

Bart

Techy-D
07/11/2008, 10:17 AM
I've only had 3 or 400 of them in the last year. Sometimes 4 a day. I got one at work and so I finally started thinking maybe it is legit (my new VX and all???). I pressed the button to talk with them. When the guy asked for my vin # and info, I said "you called me". Which Vehicle of mine were you refering to? He started typing on his keyboard and sounding real serious, he said he would get this figured out in a minute and then I got hung up on! It seems to have solved the problem, because I've gotten no more calls!!! (at work anyway). :cool:

Oh, and I forgot: When I get like 3 or 4 on my machine (at home), they are all slightly different, but on the same day, then I will go for a few days without any???? Hummm... Maybe they think we are stupid???

Scott Harness
07/11/2008, 10:22 AM
Same here:mad:

nfpgasmask
07/11/2008, 11:12 AM
I just got my 5th call of the day on my desk phone. It appears that now they are cloaking their phone number. It used to come up with a real number on my caller ID display, and now it shows 123-456-7890.

Rediculous. At least I know I'm not the only one.

Bart

taylorRichie
07/11/2008, 01:27 PM
Get on the DNC registry... Then if they call they're in federal violation. I don't get any solicitations on any of my phones.

CrnCnn
07/11/2008, 02:02 PM
Yes, the phone line I took over is the only one in the building that gets them. My boss looked at me funny when I hung up and mumble some obscenities.

So these people could potentially cost me my job?

Ldub
07/11/2008, 02:45 PM
Get on the DNC registry... Then if they call they're in federal violation. I don't get any solicitations on any of my phones.

I'll second that, it's VERY rare that I get any solicitation type calls. (only Easter Seals, which is a branch of the Navy, I think.)
I have the 800# around here somewhere, if I find it, I'll post it.

Cobrajet
07/11/2008, 02:48 PM
I signed up on the Do Not Call registry when it first started, and I still get calls. One time I asked to talk to the callers supervisor. When asked why I said it was because I needed to know who to report for violating the Do Not Call registry. They never called back.

Sometimes I will just put the phone up to the speaker (especially if it's during a NASCAR race) and let the machines talk. Hey, it's their time and money then.

Ascinder
07/11/2008, 04:39 PM
I only get the occasional mailed version, and rarely at that. It's 'cuz they fear messing with the Ventures.:rolleyes:

mdwyer
07/11/2008, 05:04 PM
Yes I got those calls, but somehow they actually believed me when I requested to be removed from their list. I haven't gotten a call from them, since. Everyone ELSE in my office is still getting them, though.

I find http://whocalled.us/ to be a very valuable site when you want to know if the person calling is legit.

For what it is worth, they must be just wardialing numbers. I don't think they actually know a thing about me. The stuff I get in the mail, though, at least has some identifying marks on it...

rowhard
07/11/2008, 07:43 PM
I seldom if ever get any calls. I signed up for the DNC and also have a unlisted/unpublished number. There is a difference between the 2. Worth the extra .75 cents a month

cyronman
07/11/2008, 10:18 PM
Yep, I got one of these calls the other day too. On my cell phone as well.
P'd me off.
Somewhere recently I gave out my cell phone # when I shouldn't have, because I've also received spam text messages too, if you can believe that.

Same thing--guy said his name was Josh or something, and when I asked which vehicle they were calling about he said "YOUR vehicle...do you own a vehicle?
I said "I own 3...WHICH one are you reffering to?"...
and I was disconnected.

punks.