PDA

View Full Version : So I installed my new PV Cat-Back...

Inaba
06/26/2003, 12:42 PM
... and it sounds good at idle... but when I get on it, say at a light, it's loud. Real loud. Almost too loud and it sounds like a ricer.

Is there any way to quiet this down or at least change the pitch, so it doesn't sound like a souped up Honda Civic?

AlaskaVX
06/26/2003, 01:02 PM
I have had mine on for a couple weeks now and it has mellowed out a little. JFYI

Dallas4u
06/26/2003, 02:10 PM
Wow, maybe there IS a major difference in sound between the original PV and this one... I never thought the PV1 sounded "ricey", and now that it has mellowed to its extent, it sounds mean.

AnalogVX
06/26/2003, 03:41 PM
I had the exact same feelings. Check out this thread.
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1228&highlight=quieting+down+a+pv+muffler

Although I have the muffler only, the suggestions should work
the same.

*EDIT* BTW I am extremely happy with the sound and performance of my PV muffler now. :D

Reg Hinnant
06/26/2003, 03:42 PM
My original PV catback sounded extremely "ricey".
Its really interesting, the variation in sound quality, we are all hearing. There IS a difference in the installs I've heard. But why I don't know.
Sorry to rag this to death, but it is puzzleing.:confused:

zadam123
06/26/2003, 04:42 PM
as i posted in the previous pv topic.
I have the pv 1 and would sacrafice it in exchange for the pv 2 :D
I love that sound

Any takers:?:
adam

VehiX
06/26/2003, 06:24 PM
I was having the same dilema but then I always feel this way when putting a new exhaust on any car I own, then it mellows out and I end up loving it.

My PV was installed about 758 miles ago and the tone has changed for the better and I suspect it to mellow out even more.

If not, I am going to place a smaller tip on at the end of my exhaust. I hear the bigger the tip diameter the louder the drone. Makes sense to me. So far I had a dude say "Man that exhaust sounds MEAN! "

We'll see , time will tell but I do agree at first it is a bit overwhelming. You'll get use to it and be much happier when it tones down a bit :)

Anita
06/26/2003, 10:19 PM
In retrospect, I wish that the PV owners who went to Moab did a little sound analysis. I have the original custom catback PV and it still seems to change in sound as time goes by. Still a growl but lower in pitch.

It would have been interesting to listen to differences PV1 vs PV2 and how age affects them.

webdog
06/26/2003, 10:40 PM
I had my PV installed the week after Moab and it has mellowed some in that time. The interesting thing is that I finally got my K&N
air filter cleaned and re-installed and that seems to have mellowed the exhaust growl even more. Go figure!
:p

IsuZOOM
06/27/2003, 08:28 AM
I'm curious if the mellowing that many report is actually people just getting used to the sound? I had a 1995 Explorer that was horrendous on my ears for about 60 days, then it stopped bothering me because I drove it every day and I guess I just got used to it!

WormGod
06/27/2003, 08:51 AM
I still have the original PV (not the full catback) and after a little less than a year, it sounds insanely sweet. The PV must have a break in time, but after that is reached, you get (at least I do) a nice low, deep, growl, nearly comparable to a stock V8 Stang or Camaro. I had some ricer sound for a bit when dumping the pedal about 40, but that all seems to have toned down. I am quite pleased now.

Are there any sound bits of the newest PV? I remember there was a link to the sound of the old one online, but hearing the new one, if there is a difference, might sway me into updating. ;)

Inaba
06/27/2003, 08:52 AM
Well, I brought my beast home and let my neighbor listen to it. He said he likes the sound... then again, this is a guy who's putting green neon on his Elicpse. So I don't know how seriously I should take him when he says it sounds good.

Maybe I'll get use to it, or it'll mellow out. I'll give it some time! Planning a trip to Colorado next week or the week after... so that'll run a couple thousand miles through it.

I'll see what I can do about recording the sound it's making right now and putting it up for download. i'll try to get to it this afternoon, but may be later this weekend.

Not that I have a good microphone or anything, though.

Oh... and it's awfully loud inside the VX. It's *much* louder than stock. Again, it's probably something I'll get use to... but don't let anyone tell ya it's not loud!

geshaw30
06/27/2003, 10:48 AM
I've had my PV2 on for about 3 weeks now and it has toned down a little but still not to the point where I can tolerate it. When I had it installed I dropped a dual set of resonated tips in hopes that it would deal with the problem and quiet things down. I still get the "beer bottle" effect over 2500 but, by backing off or throttling up, it solves that pitch.
Just last weekend I had the chance to compare a PV2 installed with the factory pipe and, frankly, I didn't notice all that much difference in exterior sound. At constant highway speeds I love the deal--a low throaty rumble. I'm gonna give it 2 months (and a 2000 mile round trip to N.C. in 3 weeks) before I make the decision if it stays or goes.
Thought you folks might wanna see the tips though......
________
Shemale dominatrix (http://www.****tube.com/categories/958/dominatrix/videos/1)

hchen
06/27/2003, 01:27 PM
waht do you mean it sounds like a ricer? a ricer as in those high whiney screams with the exhaust and the crackling sound? 'cause that's a ricer...i dun wanna put mine on if it's gonna sound liek that. did you use stock piping or do a custom cat?

**ricer doesnt mean a person who mods a civic....it's anyone who doesnt mod a car correctly =P

hopefully you your exhaust mellows out soon~goodluck

geshaw30
06/27/2003, 01:37 PM
From day one it has NEVER sounded like a "ricer"...just loud
________
FERRARI ASCARI HISTORY (http://www.ferrari-wiki.com/wiki/Ferrari_Ascari)

AnalogVX
06/27/2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by geshaw30
...Just last weekend I had the chance to compare a PV2 installed with the factory pipe and, frankly, I didn't notice all that much difference in exterior sound.

I have a 2 1/4 " tip and yea it's still loud on the exterior but the beer bottle drone between 1500-2000rpm is gone and the interior is MUCH more quiet. Nail it and it seems like it wakes up. Under normal acceleration it's got really nice throaty growl.

Inaba
06/27/2003, 04:57 PM
waht do you mean it sounds like a ricer? a ricer as in those high whiney screams with the exhaust and the crackling sound? 'cause that's a ricer...i dun wanna put mine on if it's gonna sound liek that. did you use stock piping or do a custom cat?

Yes, that's exactly what I mean... the high whiney scream and the crackling exhaust. It literally sounds like a Honda Civic with a beer can tip.

**ricer doesnt mean a person who mods a civic....it's anyone who doesnt mod a car correctly =P

'round these parts, a ricer is any car that is Japanese made and has any or all of the following:

Huge spoiler
Stickers
Ground Effects beyond the norm
Beer can exhaust
Neon

Dallas4u
06/27/2003, 10:15 PM
What would you consider a Neon or Probe with the items you listed?

WyrreJ
06/28/2003, 12:15 AM
A wheater? Maybe a corner? Or how about a patented, genetically modified, terminus generation staple crop replacement system from the supermarket to the worlder?

Hotsauce
06/28/2003, 04:26 AM
clear corners, or blue bulbs, or LEDs anywhere is rice too.

John C.

VehiX
06/28/2003, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by Dallas4u
What would you consider a Neon or Probe with the items you listed?

Hey :mad:

Easy on the probes, me likey when they are done right !!!;Dy;

http://www.myrtlemadness.com/afn2k3/cars/photo011.jpg

Ok, resume rice bashing :rolleyes:

Dallas4u
06/28/2003, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by Hotsauce
... or LEDs anywhere is rice too.

John C.

;Dy; OUCH! Kinda like this? (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=10179#post10179)

Moncha
06/28/2003, 02:38 PM
I hope the new Caddy's aren't included in the rice category. They along with several others like the Infinity Q35/Q45 use all LED taillights.;Dy;

Hotsauce
06/28/2003, 03:31 PM
http://www.riceboypage.com

It saddens me that so many of you have fallen to this level. We all have a unique special vehicle. You are making it look like every other honda choadmobile.

http://members.aol.com/jchristou/images/spew.gif

John C.

Moncha
06/28/2003, 04:22 PM
Could have gone all day without that animation, John.;eeko;

WyrreJ
06/28/2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Hotsauce
clear corners, or blue bulbs, or LEDs anywhere is rice too.

I don't know about your VX, but mine CAME with an LED taillight. Guess mine must have been built in a paddy.

hchen
06/28/2003, 10:17 PM
okay just to let you know. having led tail-lights doesnt signify that youre rice. it's just the style that you like. let me explain one more time what rice is. you call someone a ricer when they DO NOT mod their cars cleanly. A civic with intake headers exhaust does not mean it's rice, 'cause those are basic mods that needs to be done before anythign else and most people dont have thousands of dollars at hand to drop on their rides in one shot. anyways...rice is when you mod a car real wack...nothign is cleanly done.

gettin led lights woudlnt make the vx a "ricer" 'cause it still looks very clean. yah

i think the word "ricer" is used improperly by too many people.

VX can never be rice unless you put in altezzas and ugly decals all over the place. =/

hchen
06/28/2003, 10:22 PM
'round these parts, a ricer is any car that is Japanese made and has any or all of the following:

Huge spoiler
Stickers
Ground Effects beyond the norm
Beer can exhaust
Neon'round these parts, a ricer is any car that is Japanese made and has any or all of the following:

yea...well sorta. like i said before, gotta do it clean. my boy has a JDM Evo IV he imported earlier int he year...it has a huge spoiler...=P and stickers, as long as you got the parts and you you do it clean.

About the PV...since you said you got the ricey sound..i was wondering if anyone else has the same problem? or is it like that 'cause there's somethin wrong with the installation of your pv catback...

Inaba
06/29/2003, 09:04 AM
About the PV...since you said you got the ricey sound..i was wondering if anyone else has the same problem? or is it like that 'cause there's somethin wrong with the installation of your pv catback...

It's really loud :( I took some people to dinner the other night, and no one could talk when I hit the acellerator. There better be some serious mellowing within about 2k miles, or this thing is comin' off.

I'm open to the possibility that it was installed wrong, but I don't see how a cat-back can be installed wrong. New gaskets and 4 new bolts... can't get much simpler than that.

As a side note ... the stock muffler is the heaviest muffler I've ever come across. I dropped probably 40lbs from the vehicle at least taking that thing off.

hchen
06/29/2003, 10:48 AM
hahahaha damn. after you said that im not sure i wanna put it on just yet. if my parents hear that they'll flip a sh*t so imma avoid confrontation and put it on when they leave for overseas =P

hey...at least you lightened the load 40 lbs right? ;Dy;

SGT.BATGUANO
06/29/2003, 06:52 PM
Inaba,

You say you have the catback exhaust, is that with the first or second generation PV muffler?

I was under the impression that the PV2 was NOT available in catback configuration.

Inaba
06/29/2003, 10:56 PM
PV2 as far as I know. I had PV make it custom (which is why it took a month).

kpaske
06/30/2003, 07:11 AM
Well, I recieved my PV2 about two weeks ago and plan to have it installed today. I'm going to have it welded on the front with the extension on the rear. I'll post my first impressions later tonight!

kpaske
06/30/2003, 09:16 PM
Well, I had my PV2 installed this morning and I must say that it sounds awesome. My VX has a mean growl to it and seems to be turning more heads than ever. At around 2500 - 3000 RPM it seems fairly loud, but not as bad as some have made it out to be. The performance gain is less noticable in my opinion - with less back pressure it almost seems like it's begging for some more power. So next I think I'll install a new intake. ;Db;