PDA

View Full Version : What off-roader can compare with VX?

IsuZOOM
06/29/2008, 06:10 PM
I loved my VX, and may get back into the VX game to have a real off-roader again. (Right now we have a unibody SUV)

Honestly - is there anything that really looks good but can go offroad? I've never really enjoyed the Wrangler aesthetic, and the FJ has a Fisher Price interior and massive windshield problems. The Xterra is too boring to look at.

The main issue is age - VX's are 7-10 years old and I'd love to buy something newer if the right vehicle exists!

Is there anything that comes close to the VX? Or am I destined to return?

taylorRichie
06/29/2008, 06:47 PM
You are asking a really objective group ;)

For me aesthetically it was between the VX and the FJ.

Ldub
06/29/2008, 08:34 PM
Ohhhhh...I dunno, there's this little "off brand" company that makes a pretty stylish off road vehicle...what was it agin'...:rolleyesg

Oh yeah, Mercedes AMG ML sumpin-er-other...:thumbup:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/PictureVX_KODAK_MOMENTS_1648.jpg

Tone, the one & ONLY Dude I'm aware of that's ever been nVtz enough to take one of these beauties not only OFF ROAD, but up & down Lions Back!:thumbup:

Tone, I salute You! :cool:

circmand
06/30/2008, 07:13 AM
maybe it is the photo angle but that looks like a mini van

nfpgasmask
06/30/2008, 09:45 AM
maybe it is the photo angle but that looks like a mini van

I'm with you, circ, and no offense Tone, but there is only one Mercedes that looks good AND was made for off-roading:

http://www.blackdogfx.com/images/unimog44_000.jpg

Now, back on topic. I think about this all the time. If I was in the market for a different, new vehicle, I would probably find myself in a Toyota, but not the FJ. I just can't get with the FJ, its too bloated looking. I mean, they seem pretty nice, but there is just something about it that bothers me, and I think its the fact that its kinda H2 looking. So anyway, I would probably end up in a Tacoma or a 4Runner, and not because I think they look cool, but because they could get the job done and be reliable.

The simple fact of the matter is that there is nothing new that looks as cool as the VX. You either deal with the age issue and the fact that Isuzu is out of the passenger vehicle market for good, or you buy something new, and more or less boring.

Bart

Triathlete
06/30/2008, 09:58 AM
Here ya go...and the back seat is just as hard to get in to!:bgwo:
http://www.monsterenergy.com/pictures/872.jpg

JHarris1385
06/30/2008, 11:36 AM
I like the Infinity FX's.....Yeah I know they are no where near the VX in the off road world but I do like the style.

VehiGAZ
06/30/2008, 12:31 PM
the FJ has a Fisher Price interior and massive windshield problems.

Huh? What is this about? (Does it have a problem with its massive windshield, or does it have a massive problem with its windshield?)

I don't understand the lack of understanding of the FJ from this crowd (not picking on you IsuZOOM). It is clearly the closest thing to a spiritual successor to the VX. If we don't get it, who the heck is supposed to?! Personally, if it made sense to make the expense, I would sell the VX and replace it with an FJ.

circmand
06/30/2008, 01:18 PM
But like Vehigazz says what about the expense. I don't know about you guys but I couldnt afford an FJ to drive let alone risk uing it off roading

nfpgasmask
06/30/2008, 03:57 PM
I have heard the windsheild problems have to do with the fact that it is very flat and almost perpendicular to the ground, making it very prone to rock chips and cracks...other than that, I don't know.

Ask Jay, he would know.

:) Bart

Gussie2000
06/30/2008, 04:17 PM
I like the Infinity FX's.....Yeah I know they are no where near the VX in the off road world but I do like the style.

Yeah i agree totally with you,the FX & the EX are very cool vehicules,however they aren't so off-road capable as much as the VX,very sad :(

IsuZOOM
06/30/2008, 04:19 PM
I heavily researched the FJ and test drove them a few times. The interior is just plasticky and feels like a toy to me, with the comically enlarged interior trim pieces. Personal preference I guess, not that I thought the VX interior was anything to write home about, but I preferred it.

The windshield issues are ubiquitous - there's a class action suit. Basically, it's a three-fold problem. One is the obvious angle that allows every piece of debris, every rock, every bug, etc., to contact in such a way that instead of merely grazing, it makes a solid contact. That's bad. Second is the thickness (or lack of) of the glass. Third is apparent design flaws that put the glass under tension, creating stress fractures and cracks and making it more susceptible to cracking under benign conditions. People report owning similar-angled vehicles (like a Wrangler) for 10 years with no crack, then they have an FJ for 2 weeks and get a windshield crack 8" long. Then they pay $1,400 to replace and have another a month later. Suffice it to say, a heap of people are pissed off and I don't plan to join that flock anytime soon.

Plus people complain heavily about thin paint (lots of chips) and believe it or not, it's a bug magnet too, with swarms of insects hovering near the vehicle at all times.

The FJ is not for me. Plus it completely misses the VX's "sporty" nature. I loved the idea of an off-road sports car. I remembered reading years ago of a billionaire that put a M-B SLK body onto an ML-class frame, and drove it off road around the world. That just seemed awesome to me.

Now perhaps the only thing that comes close is the VW Touareg / Porsche Cayenne. But they're huge and expensive, and still not the looker the VX is.

I guess bottom line is - dammit why won't someone make an off road sports car?

Dallas4u
06/30/2008, 08:45 PM
I remembered reading years ago of a billionaire that put a M-B SLK body onto an ML-class frame, and drove it off road around the world. That just seemed awesome to me.

I remember it, too:

http://www.jimrogers.com/

IsuZOOM
06/30/2008, 09:09 PM
That's the one - I guess it's a much-better G-Wagen chassis! It's hard to believe they never even TRY building vehicles like that. Jeep teases people every 5 years with a new Jeepster concept and never builds that either.

VehiGAZ
07/01/2008, 06:03 AM
Wow - didn't know about that. A friend of mine has one and never mentioned any windshield problems to me. Good to know. Do later models have an updated windshield design?

Yes, the interior design is a bit cartoonish. I guess the idea was that you should be able to operate the controls with mittens on. :-)

Still, in basic layout, it's a lot like the VX - gunslit windshield, serious off-road performance, and it's (sort of) a 2-door.

IsuZOOM
07/01/2008, 07:12 AM
Sadly, no windshield changes yet. That would mean Toyota admitting the problem in the first place I guess.

nfpgasmask
07/01/2008, 08:29 AM
Yeah, I find it very hard to believe that no one has made a vehicle that compares to the VX either. I mean, a sporty off-road SUV is a wonderful concept, but it has to be done right. Too many of the wanna-be vehicles lean to hard one way or the other. I think the X-terra comes close, but I drove a 2000 X for 6 years and once I got in a VX I was shocked. The Xterra doesn't even come close to the feel of the VehiCROSS.

This discussion make me want to buy another VX and garage it until my current VX gets warn out.

Its just a shame we are paying $75 to fill up now. That is hurting pretty badly. I'm still waiting for the technology to break outta the mold, but I have a bad feeling we have a ways to go.

Bart

VehiGAZ
07/01/2008, 12:35 PM
Its just a shame we are paying $75 to fill up now.

The S/C demands premium (allegedly) so I am paying over $90 in CT to fill up. The Mini has been my go-to vehicle these days, but my sister will be borrowing it a for a few days, so I'll be back in the VX again.

Gussie2000
07/01/2008, 08:02 PM
I really doubt that any manufacturer will show up with a sporty/off roady SUV as such as the VX.I mean,as today there's no one.That's why experts believe isuzu was way ahead it's time when they introduce the VX.

Beside that the facts that the VX didn't meet isuzu's sales goal (According to few ones) may make others manufactures think twice about building any concept SUV any soon.
I might wrong,but i've reading a lot of the current auto market & it seems that such as vehicule is no way around the corner.

Out there's few SUV's that makes you dream,like the EX & the FX by infiniti,the grand cherokee SRT-8 by jeep,the RDX by acura,the all new murano by nissan all of them really nice & sporty,but no off road capable as the VX.

The other fact is that all those SUV's are all four doors,family minded/oriented
& it lacks the uniqueness of the aggresive designs & pushing every thing further,least oriented to the drivers like us that loved to being steared at.

No body ask all those kind of questions like: Hey WTF is that ? It's that new ?
Who build those ?
By the mean time let's enjoy our toys guys.................for now :rolleyes:

circmand
07/02/2008, 06:53 AM
If someone could solve the design problem between the clunky 4 door and the acrobatic 2 door. (Hard to get in) we would see a lot more better designed cars. I am not a fan of VX back seat access. A longer door would have made it easier to access but changed the looks but a small suicide door would have really amped up the VX cool factor IMHO

nfpgasmask
07/02/2008, 08:35 AM
Yeah, I would have to say, if I could change ANYTHING about the VX, I would make it so the tailgate window could roll down (impossible with donut spare design), and maybe have the forward little windows roll down. The VX (especially mine) gets REALLY FREAKIN HOT in the summer, and a design that was a little more "open air" would have been sweet. The VX 02 would have just been a perfect summer wheeler. Its really too bad it was never made. :(

The back seat thing is kind of a moot point to me. The VX is not a practicle vehicle for more than 2 passengers. That was obvious from day one. Quite honestly, I think they should have just made it a 2 seater to begin with, and done some more innovative things with the cargo area instead of putting the stupid sardine seats back there. I mean, it does get a little annoying, when I have a guest who would like to ride along, but hey, that is the price I pay to drive such a cool and unique vehicle. If I wanted more practicality, I would not have bought a VX. Furthermore, if you leave the back seats in, you can haul 3-4 people, but guess what, you ain't hauling much else. The cargo area with the seats removed is perfect for a 2 person camping trip. Any more than that, and it gets pretty tight. I say, to hell with the back seats!!

:)

Bart

EDIT: I need to buy a second VX so I can chop it and make a summer VX out of it.

VehiGAZ
07/02/2008, 08:39 AM
Not to cheerlead for the FJ again, but Toyota solved that prob with rear half-doors.

Gussie is right, though - there is NOTHING on the market that makes anyone ask "Hey, WTF is that?!?!"

The only real substitute for a VX is a VX in another color. :-)

KING FROG
07/02/2008, 09:15 AM
I found this list when I was lookin' at the VX wiki....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sport_utility_vehicles

nfpgasmask
07/02/2008, 09:49 AM
I found this list when I was lookin' at the VX wiki....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sport_utility_vehicles

I'll take one of those UAZ-469s, mmmmk? Thanks.

Bart

KING FROG
07/02/2008, 10:34 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/43/Lambo_LM002.jpg/800px-Lambo_LM002.jpg

I like this one....but the VX will do for now.

kodiak
07/02/2008, 12:10 PM
I'll take one of those UAZ-469s, mmmmk? Thanks.

Bart

I road in a UAZ-469 last year. I had no idea that something so tuff could be so gutless.:rolleyes:

Triathlete
07/02/2008, 12:39 PM
One word...
MOG!:cool:

circmand
07/02/2008, 01:06 PM
Hummers ugly cousin. If your trying to get sporty you cant have all those outdated straight edges. They all go back to the old Rover and highlander days.

kodiak
07/02/2008, 01:25 PM
Lada Niva! The Russian VX.:p
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lada_Niva

nfpgasmask
07/02/2008, 01:33 PM
Lada Niva! The Russian VX.:p
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lada_Niva

That's pretty cool. I really like compact off-road vehicles with a militaristic flare...

So-CalVX
07/02/2008, 07:10 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/43/Lambo_LM002.jpg/800px-Lambo_LM002.jpg

(that lambo looks like) Hummers ugly cousin. If your trying to get sporty you cant have all those outdated straight edges. They all go back to the old Rover and highlander days.

i actually have a picture of one of those Lamborghini LM America's... i got to sit in and explore it, EFFIN HUGE! they wanted to bring back the cheetah from 1977 or something... they made just over 300 until 93 and they were all V12 5spd man. trans. nice leather and wood interior... HUGE tires too... they were like 14x14 rims or something.... scary repair bill on anything too, and imagine gas today :eek:

Gussie2000
07/02/2008, 08:32 PM
Oh yeah !

The bench is really annoing,but since i bought my VX i had a though.....:rolleyes:

Removing the bench & adding two recaro bucket seats will look so damn good:cool:

I guess with some mods it could be done.don't you think so guys

rickshaw
07/02/2008, 11:38 PM
One of the links above got me to the "Lamborghini LM002 Registry".
http://www.lamborghiniregistry.com/LM002/LM002Registry.html

I found a Registry for the Japanese Vehicross 175 Limited Edition.
http://www.h6.dion.ne.jp/~v.175-59/175ltd-editions.htm

We should have a Registry for the US Spec VX.

I would like to see Serial numbers with manufacture dates.
A list of Totaled or parted out VX's
Also would be nice to sort by Color, Year or location.

Just a thought.

johnnyapollo
07/03/2008, 03:09 AM
Someone started a registry once on edmunds - about a handful of people registered. Guy eventually dropped off the list.

-- John

Greasemonkey
07/03/2008, 09:28 AM
Hi the Vauxhall Frontera /Isuzu Rodeo with the 3.2 V6 in the SWB format isn't too bad - very nice trims mostly full leather ,heated seats , air con etc
cheers
Steve

IsuZOOM
07/03/2008, 10:00 AM
The 2-door Freelander was ugly as sin, and the VW Touareg/Porsche Cayenne are nice but expensive. It remains to be seen if the new VW Tiguan has any off-road prowess. The BMW X6 is beautiful but painfully pricey ($55k for V6, $63k+ for V8).

etlsport
07/03/2008, 10:36 AM
from what ive read, the tiguan is not really offroad capable as it will be sold in the US but there is a trim package available in most the rest of the world which increases its approach/departure angles and adds some skid plating

kodiak
07/03/2008, 11:57 AM
The VW Touareg and the Porsche Cayenne are not good off road. The brakes are too big and wheel wells are to small for off road capable tires and there is little to no articulation.:rolleyes: But they will kill a VX on the road.:(

IsuZOOM
07/03/2008, 03:03 PM
I've actually read very favorable articles about the Touareg off-roading (at least the model with the adjustable air suspension). They say it's about the best unibody off-road vehicle ever made, although there have only been a few others (Grand Cherokee, Freelander)

I've got my eyes open for a low-mileage VX in my area. Hopefully it works out.

kodiak
07/03/2008, 03:36 PM
This is what happens if you use street tires off road. :p
http://www.carstuckgirls.com/gallery_mudwrestling_stuck.htm

circmand
07/03/2008, 03:44 PM
go offroad with street tires I would love to mud wrestle one or both of those girls:eek:

nfpgasmask
07/03/2008, 04:05 PM

Looks like the water might have been a little chilly.

circmand
07/03/2008, 04:09 PM
a car in those pictures

taylorRichie
07/03/2008, 04:49 PM
I really liked my ZR2.. They do have a rear Locker, it's more like the Aussie style, it's an Eaton G80 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbMZ9vcYVSg

They're not without their issues though... I've dealt with many years of this S10 series, alot of cheap interior pieces (but readily available for replacements) Alot of rattles etc.

Similar setup to ours as far as indy front, so a torsion crank, and Shackles will get it off the ground. I had a 2.5" superlift (front UCAs, Torsion crank, Shackles and shocks) plus a 2" body lift.

My brother had a ZR2 Blazer with the 5" superlift, and 2" bodylift, it looked rediculous... Way too much for that vehicle IMO... looked really silly and needed gearing to handle the tires.

I would never trade my VX for one though.

So-CalVX
07/03/2008, 07:22 PM

thats not true, they just don't know what they're doing lol
ive been off road so many times with street tires... those girls just put they car/truck where it's not supposed to be... :p

Looks like the water might have been a little chilly.

just a lil ;) looks like they have more friends that are just as stupid on the home page too

(there is) a car in those pictures

yeah, looks like they rent cars... get them stuck... and wrestle...
hmmm sounds kinda like what i do with rental cars.... except i wrestle with tight turns and tire spin :cool:

kodiak
07/03/2008, 10:40 PM
Touareg in Moab, I think some of these guys made some monkey mustered in their shorts.:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEXwIQxtI4o