PDA

View Full Version : My first bike...

kpaske
06/29/2008, 10:32 AM
Hey all, I'm seriously thinking of purchasing a motorcycle this summer but I don't even know where to start looking. Since this is my first bike, I don't want anything too expensive or high maintenance, but (as a VX owner of course) I'm not interested in something boring or run of the mill. My neighbor is a motorcycle mechanic, so I'll have someone to go to with all my maintenance related questions. I really like all different types, sportbikes, cruisers, etc. but since I want to be able to take it to work on warm, dry days (yeah I know, all 5 of them in Seattle) I'm thinking something where you sit a little more upright might be most appropriate - my commute is close to 50 miles each way!! :eek: Of course, I'd also like something I can cruise around on on the weekends and maybe let the wife come along (if she's not driving me too crazy haha). I love the styling of the Ducati's, although I hear they're very expensive to maintain. I've also been looking at Buell's which look pretty nice - in fact the "Blast" is only about $5k and might make a great starter bike. What do you guys think? What are some uniquely styled bikes out there that I might like? Any general advise on buying/riding?

cyronman
06/29/2008, 10:56 AM
I love the styling of the Ducati's, although I hear they're very expensive to maintain.

Bingo. Awesome bikes though. I couldn't be happier with my Monster.

My first bike was a Suzuki SV-650S. Not too upright, but not at all a leaner. Very nimble and dependable. They are rated very high for beginners bikes. The 650 (as opposed to the 650S) model kinda resembles a Ducati in the front, so take a look at those. Not a lot of back seat, but enough for the occasional double date...depending on the size of the date. ;)

I actually like the the looks of the Buell Streetfighter, and it was a more upright position, but it has a short wheel base and felt uncomfortable to me.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Blast is less than 500cc, right?

rowhard
06/29/2008, 10:58 AM
whatever you do Kyle, be safe

taylorRichie
06/29/2008, 01:47 PM
Buell Blast is a 500cc I was going to get one a few years ago... They look(ed) like a lot of fun... But they're tiny... not just in CCs in actual size.

SV650 would be an excellent choice, But it really depends on what you'd like to do. BMW GS650 are affordable on the used market, and a great upright bike.

I personally drive a Vespa as my DD :D I sit upright and feet forward... It's just a fun little around towner and for my 3 mile commute to work.

))) I used to have a husqvarna TE570 (((

don't recommend it for street use.

MSHardeman
06/30/2008, 08:28 AM
I've recently been looking at motorcycles too. I currently own a 1985 300cc Suzuki that has been "chopped" and now looks like a little cafe raceer. It's my first bike and it has been a ton of fun but it is starting to experience some electrical problems. If you're really looking for a cheap first bike I would hit Cycle Trader and buy something slightly used. That way it will already be broken in and if you don't pay too much for it you won't worry about laying it down.

Right now I've taken a liking to the "naked bikes" and I have been looking at the Ducati Monster 696, the Triumph Triple Street, and the Aprilla Shiver 750. All of them are under $9000 new and they are all just sexy as all-get-out.

My biggest piece of advice is to take a motorcycle riding course. They usually aren't that expensive, give you tons of confidence on the bike, usually allow you to take the licensing test right there instead of at the DMV, and give you a break on your insurance.

Good luck in your search, and keep us posted.

BritVX
06/30/2008, 09:00 AM
A lot of good advice, particularly about taking lessons, it will keep you safe but also raise your confidence to go for a bigger bike which believe me is always a goodthing. I know people who don't ride won't see the sense in that but I've been riding 20+ years and big is safest as you get more control, better brakes etc, etc. The other factor is your weight and height, the Monster looks a good bike but is tiny as is the Buell so if your tall you look daft. If you're looking budget you might want to go Buell (if it's a good size) as it could be cheapest to run. Anything Italian will not be reliable particularly in Seattle, rain kills them:). Best jap I'd say Honda, best european I'd say BMW you can pick up old ones quite cheap but the 1100s are heavy. I'd stay away from Jap pocket rockets like Yam R6's if you want to live long.

I currently have a Yamaha MT-01 which is the best bike I've ridden, 1700cc of naked street sports bike, but sadly not available in the US:)

Col

Dallas4u
06/30/2008, 09:13 AM
Long time no post here, but I thought I would chime in since I sold my VX some time ago to get in to motorcycles.

First thing I would do, as was mentioned earlier, is take the motorcycle beginners training course. I had never ridden a motorcycle before taking the course, and right away you get right in to it. I think everyone wanting a bike should take it to get a good feel of what you're getting yourself in to. Here is a listing of some in Seattle:

http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/motoschools.html

Another training school option is through Harley Davidson. You can check online or with a dealer to find the courses offered. I believe they use the Buell Blast in their classes, so you can check those out as well. Also mentioned before, they are small... 500cc's is fine for a beginners bike, but if it doesn't fit you then forget about it. I rode a tiny Suzuki 250cc cruizer in class, and it was small... but for class it was fine.

AFTER the class is when I would start looking for something to buy. It doesn't hurt to look around right now if you are serious about it, but I wouldn't buy anything until after passing the class. Think of it as a gift to yourself!!! Definitely look at a used bike. You won't feel as guilty about dropping something you know has been used and that you didn't pay retail for.

One thing I will say... it is discussed a TON on beginner riding forums and such, but I wouldn't recommend the Suzuki SV-650 (and definitely not the SV-650S) as a first bike... especially if you've never been on a bike before. Just because you have some time in the saddle in the class (assuming you take it), you're riding in a controlled, managed environment on little 250cc machines... and even those will get up and go when you jump on it (they will ask you to hit 40mph on the course, and it feels fast when you do it!). As soon as you get out of the class and look at bikes, you have no idea what they can do, and most will do things the little 250's can't even come close to doing. My first bike was a KTM 640cc single (Duke II), which was a little above my abilities, but it was ok... it last 6 months before I bought an 800cc cruizer. Of course, we don't know how mature you are when it comes to handling the power, or how quick you can think when manuvering... so there is a chance you could handle the SV-650 just fine.

The Ninja 500 is usually thought of highly as a beginner bike (and beyond, really). It is pretty sporty, but power is manageable around town, and it will get up and go when needed. There are a lot of nice bikes out there...

By the way, I now ride a Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans.

Adam

nfpgasmask
06/30/2008, 09:25 AM
I think we are going to see more and more bikes hitting the streets as gas prices rise. I have been thinking about it also. I would really like an old 1984 Suzuki Katana that I could rat out....

My problem with bikes is the danger factor. Bikes go down, period, the end. Every single person I know who has been on a 2 wheeled vehicle has wrecked at least once. Half of those people seriously injured, the other half, lucky.

Bart

crager34
06/30/2008, 11:10 AM
First, think about what you want from your motorcycle, i.e. cruising, sport, comfort, distance, etc. Don't just go and buy a bike you think looks cool. Once you get all those in your head, THEN go looking for a bike. Find a few that would really meet your needs. Once you do that, then you should buy the bike that best suits your visual tastes.

I bought a 2007 Suzuki V-Strom 650 Dual sport (has since been sold), and it was the perfect bike for my needs and I really liked the styling.

Good luck.. be safe... learn to ride.

tomdietrying
06/30/2008, 12:06 PM
Yeah, I'm like Bart. I think I want a bike, but the safety factor is keeping me from it. I think I'll take Dallas's advice and take a bike course just to see if that's what I really want as my everyday transportation.
Peace.
Tom

p.s.
Are there any Dallas area VXers who want to take a motocycle course with me?

Triathlete
06/30/2008, 12:16 PM
I still remember my first "bike"...

...it was a gold Scwinn Stingray with a banana seat and high rise handle bars! It was sweet!:cool:

Dallas4u
06/30/2008, 12:31 PM
Billy, I'm sure your 'bikes' these days cost as much as some decent used motorcycles out there! Hell, the downhill Specialized I used to have cost about as much as my first motorcycle!

I've spent some time on BeginnerBikes.org in the past... nice forum to check out if interested in getting in to (or back in to) motorcycles:

http://www.beginnerbikers.org/

ojmagg
06/30/2008, 12:33 PM
This may be the perfect blend between bike and sports car...I saw one downtown last year...I think they are sweet...different from the norm, thats for sure...

http://spyder.brp.com/en-US/

Bulldoggie
06/30/2008, 01:02 PM
Wow!
I was looking to get a bike too.:cool:
I have had many in the past, dirt and steet, 2 and 4 stokes. Now alot of these bikes go for big dollars, VINTAGE????????
I have a short commute, so a scooter would suit me well, BUT they cost as much as a BIG BOY bike:eek::eek:
A used Honda Shadow, Suzuki Intruder, or a Yamaha Virago, can be had in my price range.
For a first bike the Honda Rebel is nice, but I can find a Shadow for the same amount.
Just missed out on a beautiful 750 Intruder w/ saddle bags and windscreen for $1200.:mad: He had 50 callers on the first day, of his post:(

Dallas4u
06/30/2008, 01:03 PM
This may be the perfect blend between bike and sports car...I saw one downtown last year...I think they are sweet...different from the norm, thats for sure...

http://spyder.brp.com/en-US/

I've seen them as well! In fact, I saw one in NE Portland last week... first time ever in person. Pretty sweet! If you have a VX and want to stay different, this is definitely a way to go... but I gotta tell ya. $15k is pretty pricey, maybe not for something of this nature, but it's out of my price range... for now.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/2008-canam-spyder-test-61047.html

MSHardeman
07/01/2008, 07:59 AM
If you like the CanAm Spyder (and I do) then you have GOT to check out the Trirod.

http://www.trirodmotorcycles.com/

Talk about unique and nasty....this thing is SWEEEEET!! It's a bit pricey at $50k, but it is basically a custom chopper.

ojmagg
07/01/2008, 08:55 AM
Sweet Jesus, that thing is flippin' smokin'...but $55k...ouch!

Dallas4u
07/01/2008, 09:05 AM
If you like the CanAm Spyder (and I do) then you have GOT to check out the Trirod.

http://www.trirodmotorcycles.com/

Talk about unique and nasty....this thing is SWEEEEET!! It's a bit pricey at $50k, but it is basically a custom chopper.

Whoa... I think I just shat my pants! :eek:

ISCE
07/01/2008, 09:29 AM
Something else to consider for a first bike is the 250R Ninja. It's a great starter bike and they hold their value great when you are ready to sell it in a year or two and upgrade.

http://www.kawasaki.com/products/Detail.aspx?id=200

I rode dirt bikes growing up and consider myself a good rider. When in college I had a serious street bike accident and ended up with two screws in my left knee. Didn't ride again on the street until 2 years ago. Ended up just picking up one of these 250R Ninja's for the gas mileage and to ease me back into riding. The plan was to sell it and upgrade to a bigger bike. The thing is though I love the bike, and now just planning on keeping it. It handles great and I am close to some great twisty roads where this little bike keeps up with my friends' much larger bikes no problem.

For your commute distance though it may be too small as it's not all that comfortable on longer trips. I work out of the house now, but when I go downtown for meetings it's typically less than 20 miles and the bike is perfect for that.

Like the others said, take the riding courses and become completely comfortable on the bike. There are a LOT of idiots out there who have no problems trying to run over you. You want to be able to do anything you need to on the bike to get out of the way. This bike is low cost and I just filled up and got 62mpg.

nfpgasmask
07/01/2008, 09:38 AM
This bike is low cost and I just filled up and got 62mpg.

That's just it. The cost savings is starting to get sway me even with the safety issue....true, your life isn't worth any dollar amount, but its getting damn close!!! :)

Bart

Knigh7s
07/01/2008, 12:28 PM
This is what i've been looking at Buell 1125r (http://www.buell.com/en_us/bikes/sportbike/1125r/). I'm already signed up for some classes out here, but not till sept when it gets cooler. But as a starter bike, I most definetly will be getting a ninja or something and work my way up to the 1125r. No point on getting myself killed in return to never being able to ride it again!

My dad has a Honda ?CB750? late 70's or 80's model that he bought back in Japan. He is almost finished restoring it. Looks pretty clean, I'll have to take some pix of it later and post...

cyronman
07/01/2008, 02:00 PM
AFTER the class is when I would start looking for something to buy. It doesn't hurt to look around right now if you are serious about it, but I wouldn't buy anything until after passing the class. Think of it as a gift to yourself!!! Definitely look at a used bike. You won't feel as guilty about dropping something you know has been used and that you didn't pay retail for.

First, think about what you want from your motorcycle, i.e. cruising, sport, comfort, distance, etc. Don't just go and buy a bike you think looks cool. Once you get all those in your head, THEN go looking for a bike. Find a few that would really meet your needs. Once you do that, then you should buy the bike that best suits your visual tastes.

:thumbup:

kpaske
07/01/2008, 08:02 PM
Thanks for all the great tips, everyone. I actually have already taken the safety course and got my rider's license, but it was about 10 years ago, back in Maryland, and I never ended up buying a bike. So I would almost certainly want to take it again here in Washington to get a little practice before heading out into my first morning commute in Seattle area traffic. I have spent quite some time riding mopeds around Thailand if that counts for anything... ;Db;

I didn't realize the Buell Blast was so small - on the web site of course they all pretty much look the same size. That Spyder is bad*ss, but I guess it's more of a "trike" than a "bike". I'm definitely more partial to two wheels, and I'm thinking a cruiser between say 500 and 800 cc is probably about right for my purposes.

Spyder
07/02/2008, 07:11 PM
Where I work, one of my many jobs...

We sell the Johnny Pag.
$4,000 for a chopper, 300cc water cooled.
http://www.johnnypag.com/images/motorcycles/spyder300.jpg

Bulldoggie
07/23/2008, 03:31 PM
I don't know if you found one yet.
I found two.
Earlier a bought a clone of a honda Trail CT70.
Mine is a 90cc 4speed, but you can get as high as 160cc.
The kind with the folding handlebars. It fits in the VX :cool:
But I'm going to make a carrier for the hitch.

Yesterday, I came home with a Suzuki Intruder.:rolleyes:
11k miles on a 1997 with 1400cc (70hp):eek:
It's a beautiful beast:clap::heart::heart:

taylorRichie
07/23/2008, 04:45 PM
I have an original 71 CT70... They're fun...

I've always liked the intruders. Remove the back rest (if it has one) and they look great.

tomdietrying
07/23/2008, 05:49 PM
This is a question for you motorheads. What's your opinion of the Harley Sportster XL1200N? Here's one on Ebay I found.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycles___07-HARLEY-DAVIDSON-SPORTSTER-XL1200N-ARMY-GREEN-3KMILES_W0QQitemZ220259995383QQddnZMotorcyclesQQdd iZ2283QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item220259995383&_trksid=p3756.m14.l1318#ebayphotohosting

Peace.
Tom

MSHardeman
07/23/2008, 06:28 PM
Tom,

I love the looks of the Nightster (XL1200N) and I was looking at getting one, but when I went to my local Harley dealership and sat on one it was just too small for me. I felt cramped up with the foot pegs at the middle of the bike, and even when I sat on one with forward controls (foot pegs out front) it still felt too small. Now that was me, but I have a feeling (and no offense here because we've met and I know how tall you are) that it would be just perfect for you.

It's a great bike. Very torquy engine and still small enough to whip around turns so it should be a blast.

Hope that helps.

Mark

taylorRichie
07/23/2008, 06:57 PM
That Nightster is very cool... I have no experience with it, but I do like the look.

If I were to get a harley (not anytime soon) it would be the VRSC though :D

Bulldoggie
07/23/2008, 08:36 PM
I have an original 71 CT70... They're fun...

I've always liked the intruders. Remove the back rest (if it has one) and they look great.

Here is a pict. of the CT70
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/080708_165414.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=11779)
I wish I took a picture of it in the back of the VX.
If your '71 is in nice shape, keep it. The Honda's are collectable.

Here's one of the intruder:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/0023.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=11778)

My daughters love the back rest, so I'll keep it.
I do not have the little rack behind the rest, it's ugly.
This bike was made for the Highway :supercool

taylorRichie
07/24/2008, 06:50 AM
Very cool! I'm sure the rest is very functional... And if your daughters are going for rides I'd keep it too.

As for the CT70, it's not in spectacular shape, I bought it to restore it 5 years ago... Road it around for a couple years, and it's been parked since.

Maybe I should break it out again and get it cleaned up. OE replacement parts are spendy.

Jolly Roger VX'er
08/10/2008, 10:48 PM

I bought a 2007 Suzuki V-Strom 650 Dual sport (has since been sold), and it was the perfect bike for my needs and I really liked the styling.

Good luck.. be safe... learn to ride.

sound advice. Although it isn't my first bike (had a HD Sportster years ago), I have money down on a bike I ordered last week and should be in early this week. 2008 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom. Kind of like a VX turned into a motorcycle...lol. Went with Black this time :smilewink.

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2002models/2002-Suzuki-DL1000-V-Strom.jpg

BD-VX99
08/12/2008, 07:24 PM
If you want a small bike that has classic styling, is unique, and reliable, and a really good bike that is still cheap on insurance. Try to find yourself a Honda GB500. Like the one below. Hard to find, but worth it.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1989-honda-GB500-tourist-trophy.htm

or a NT650 Hawk, or a second gen VFR. I'm against buying new for a first timer. Also, I dislike recommending EX250s and such other bikes that are braked and sprung for women and teenagers.