Vehi-Cross-Az
06/27/2008, 03:54 PM
Im sure this has been addressed before, but searched but didnt
find anything.

When you tilt the rear seat all the way forward theres that
nylon strap with a hook on it that ends up between the two
front seats.
It looks like its intended to hook on to something so when you
take off the whole back seat doesnt fly backwards...
where is it suppose to hook ???

thanks
Dg

So-CalVX
06/27/2008, 03:58 PM
there is a flap of carpet directly below where the strap hangs with the back seat folded up towards the front, unvelcrow (SP) and there's a metal bar to hook the strap to

circmand
06/27/2008, 04:25 PM
this will keep you frm putting the front seat back

Vehi-Cross-Az
06/28/2008, 11:50 PM
found it, sweet.
thanks for the help guys

VehiGAZ
06/30/2008, 09:46 AM
Of course, it's useless if you have your front seats slid back at all. I keep a loop of thin mtn-climing-style rope on the metal ring and hook the strap to that. I've thought of replacing the strap with an adjustable one, but that's pretty far down on the priority list.

Vehi-Cross-Az
06/30/2008, 02:05 PM
my seats are never that far back
Im only 5' 6" ...
but when I tilted the rear seats fully foward
the strap misses the floor by about 2"...
whats that about ?

Joe Isuzu
06/30/2008, 02:16 PM
weird, my strap is adjustable, it sure looks OEM as it's attached to the back of the seat like I imagine everyone else's is

tom4bren
06/30/2008, 03:15 PM
Mine's adjustable too. It wouldn't do much good if you couldn't tighten it down.

DarkWing
06/30/2008, 03:31 PM
Mine is not adjustable, and being 6'2" the front seats are all the way back, meaning the strap is too short. I went to WallyWorld and bought a "nylon strap" out of the caping area, it has a small buckle/latch thing in it. I shortened that thing up as much as I could through the ring in the floor, then used the clip in the strap from the seat to hook into the buckle/latch thing. That way, I can open that latch and lay the back seat back.

D.W.

Anita
06/30/2008, 03:55 PM
my seats are never that far back
Im only 5' 6" ...
but when I tilted the rear seats fully foward
the strap misses the floor by about 2"...
whats that about ?

That was a manufacturer's flaw on many of the 1999 VX's. Many of the owners at the time either added extensions or had the dealers replace the strap altogether with a longer one.

So-CalVX
06/30/2008, 05:26 PM
so, is that a '99 only problem?
I ask because I am 6'2" and with my rear seat folded forward I latch it, then I push my front seats back. I don't really get the rubbing of the seats and if I do, it doesn't bother me.
But then again, I took my back seat out months ago...

Joe Isuzu
06/30/2008, 06:49 PM
That was a manufacturer's flaw on many of the 1999 VX's. Many of the owners at the time either added extensions or had the dealers replace the strap altogether with a longer one.

Thanks Anita for solving this mystery. I was thinking I was missing something or oversimplifying the problem :confused:
as in "what am I missing here?"

VehiGAZ
07/01/2008, 05:53 AM
Looks like we "discovered" the third difference between the '99s and later models!

Could one of you 2000-2001 owners post a pic of the adjustable strap?

Vehi-Cross-Az
07/03/2008, 08:17 PM
Ill be making mine adjustable in the near future
so it seems..
by either having my friend at his upholstery shop
mod it or go get my own strap and add it too.
I doubt the dealer is will to swap mine out 9 yrs
later, would be cool if they did though haha.
thanks for the help all :bwgr:

Techy-D
07/05/2008, 04:47 PM

Ha, Since I had never heard anything about it, I figured it was just something wrong with mine. Well, blunders never cease to amaze me. :eek:
Guess I wasn't thinking, cuz I could make it adjustable instead of just not using it. :o