PDA

View Full Version : Automotive Oddballs

Mark B
06/27/2008, 05:12 AM
Check this out. Saw it on msn.com
Automotive Oddballs.

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/listarticle.aspx?cp-documentid=523753&topart=luxury

Ldub
06/27/2008, 05:33 AM
A look at this mornings MSN home page revealed an article entitled: "Automotive Oddballs".
I wondered, as I looked at a picture of an AMC Pacer, if my favorite ride ever, had made the cut.
One more click & scroll down a bit, & my suspicions were confirmed...:rolleyesg

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/listarticle.aspx?cp-documentid=523753&topart=luxury

I think this quote sums it up nicely...:sighwgray

"This isn’t just a list of Uglymobiles, or it might have to make room for the likes of the Honda Ridgeline. Outside of its, well, unusual styling, the Ridgeline is actually a useful and well-designed vehicle. But to be a genuine mutant, a car has to be seriously out-of-whack for more than just its styling. Just to make sure today’s cars don’t escape our wrath, a couple of current models are on the list."

But this one is just plain mean...:mad:

"When Isuzu rolled out the VehiCROSS in America for 1999, some in the media called the design “ahead of its time.” What time did they mean? When Rosie O’Donnell is named Miss Universe? The VehiCROSS had a starring role in the film Mission to Mars, a planet that was more hospitable to Isuzu’s lunatic lander. Here on Earth, Isuzu managed to sell barely 4,000 units to Americans over three years. One of those rare VehiCROSSes, in fact, is parked in my neighborhood in Brooklyn. To this day, people point at it and laugh."

PMFog
06/27/2008, 05:54 AM
Was just about to post this uninformed article myself when I saw yours. I have reason to believe the author's full name is Lawrence "Cretin" Ulrich.

Best,

PMFog

Ldub
06/27/2008, 06:49 AM
The poor guy obviously has no clue on what research is...so I helped him out a little bit.:rolleyesg

Here is my reply...:cool:

You should ask your neighbor with the VehiCROSS for a ride sometime. I have one that's been my DD for over four years, & you will never find more bang for the buck. The best handling performance utility vehicle ever made. That crisp handling is due to a very firm suspension, that featured beefy KYB remote reservoir nitrogen charged shocks, Isuzu was the first manufacturer to offer anything this trick as stock equipment.
Wether it be an off road adventure in Moab, (yes, there are about 20-30 of us that meet every year & wheel trails that would embarass H-2's & other "trail rated" product) or the WOW factor of people asking "who makes that?, is it new?, where can I get one?, I've never seen one before", "that's Bad *****!" (that last one is from some Jeep guys, on a trail in Moab)
Granted, mine is debadged, lifted with 33's & supercharged, but as a friend of mine always says...
"Everywhere you go, it's a one car show."
Also, Isuzu never meant to sell more than 4-5000 world wide. The dies that stamped the sheetmetal, were ceramic instead of steel, & had a lifespan of 5-6000 pressings before they were toast.
This was done, not only to reduce the cost of bringing a predominantly hand built "concept" to market, but to get it from concept to production in the shortest time possible.

taylorRichie
06/27/2008, 06:53 AM
Call me different...

But I've always wanted an X-90 something about them always had an allure to me... I bet it'd be a fun winter vehicle, wonder if the suspension is adjustable.

Then Of course I bought a vehicross... And Subaru baja was in the running when I bought the vehicross.

So I guess I like ugly vehicles :rolleyes:

Barely sell 4,000 Ha... barely MADE 4,000 for the US...

VehiGAZ
06/27/2008, 07:17 AM
Let me get this straight... we should listen to New Yorkers when it comes to cars?!?

Joe Isuzu
06/27/2008, 07:36 AM
the fact that this guy included the Dodge Nitro and Mercedes R class doesn't give me the impression he did a lot of research. I don't think much of the nitro and I like poking fun at a Mercedes minivan, but I'm not sure I've ever looked at either of them as all-time ugly. And honestly, I've never had anyone laugh or snicker at the VX. Shoot, I've had more ignorant people poke fun at my Fiero for bursting into flames, even though that was an issue with the 4 cylinder and not the v-6, or my Alfa's for their wonderful reliability reputation.....
Also, the fact that he didn't know that Isuzu meant for this to be a limited production vehicle doesn't lend credibility to his article.

DeepSilentComplete
06/27/2008, 08:19 AM
The poor guy obviously has no clue on what research is...so I helped him out a little bit.:rolleyesg

Here is my reply...:cool:

You should ask your neighbor with the VehiCROSS for a ride sometime....

Yes, EXACTLY! I saw that article this morning and thought, "Huh, what? I was shocked to find the VX in that listing. Can this guy be serious! I am not even willing to grant him the moniker "odd." It is obvious that this guy has no sense of "Kewl!" :bwgr:

nfpgasmask
06/27/2008, 08:54 AM
Call me different...

But I've always wanted an X-90 something about them always had an allure to me... I bet it'd be a fun winter vehicle, wonder if the suspension is adjustable.

Yeah, there is something about the X-90. Talk about a adult sized "toy" vehicle, this is it. Suzuki always made interesting vehicles, imo. I could easily see myself wheeling in an old Samurai...

Bart

jims585
06/28/2008, 09:20 AM
Have a sammi and love it will soon have a 4.3 v6 in it to compliment my vx.

circmand
06/28/2008, 07:10 PM
Nothing negatrive but I also took it that way and he does seem to have a lack of knowledge on any of the vehicles he talked about but let s admit the fact that everyone asks WTF is that does make our VX a Odd vehicle.

taylorRichie
06/28/2008, 07:13 PM
The X-90 is kind of odd. Someone at Rocky Road Outfitters in Heber has one fixed up a bit. Check out these weird and wild wacky ones: http://rockpile4x4.tripod.com/X90/CoolX90s.html

I think this would be fun!

http://RockPile4x4.tripod.com/X90/MiscPics/guardX.jpg

Seems like something you could take when you were out with ATVs Motorcycles etc. Only it's a car...