PDA

View Full Version : Alpine S/C users read this!!!!

bigpoppax2
06/26/2008, 07:06 AM
Guys I just had some issues with my S/C and sent it off for some service.

The guy told me that there should be oil in the nose cone. Well the problem I have with this is the bearing in the back of the nose cone is a sealed bearing.

So how exactly is oil supposed to get through the sealed bearing?

When I pulled the nose cone it had no oil in it.

The guys that are working on it are going to rebuild it with all new bearings and the rear nose cone bearing will be an open bearing so that oil can get into the nose cone.

Just a heads up here.

The shop that I highly recommend is www.thehighspeedlab.com

Their contact number is Bill Embree (636) 346-0562 or Wade Embree (314) 277-7414. It's a father/son machine shop.

They will also build a new nose cone shaft that won't chatter at idle. They will remove the splined drive shaft and replace it with a solid shaft with the coupler like every other Eaton. He wasn't sure why ours were designed like they are. Ours has a splined shaft that drives the coupler. He said you usually have a coupler or a splined shaft. Not both.

Joe

WormGod
06/26/2008, 07:22 AM
Interesting. I was never really a fan of the nose come assembly but considering it was the only option we had (other than NOT getting one), I dove in.

What issues were you having with your S/C that you had to send it out for rebuild?

bigpoppax2
06/26/2008, 09:40 AM
My rear nosecone bearing was shot. I am anal about checking the oil and whatnot too. When I tore into it the rotors were wet with oil. So the rotor seals were in need of replacement.

So they are replacing all my bearings and seals.

Joe

VehiGAZ
06/26/2008, 07:09 PM
How does one go about checking the oil level in the Alpine S/C?

Ldub
06/26/2008, 07:27 PM
How does one go about checking the oil level in the Alpine S/C?
Wait until the motor cools down to ambient temp.
Remove the fill/check plug in the front housing that the nose cone is attached to.(small hex head, about 1/2" plug):_wrench:
A small amount of oil should seep over the bottom edge of the hole.
This is also where you drain it with a small hose & syringe, & refill with s/c oil from your friendly local GM stealership...:thumbup:

johnnyapollo
06/26/2008, 08:02 PM
Couple of questions as I'm having similar issues.

1. Is your drive one of the cast drives or the machined, billetted aluminum?
2. With all that had to be rebuilt (I'm thinking of having the whole thing redone) can you provide a ball-park figure - basically what you've got out-of-pocket less shipping?
3. What's the turn-around time?

This is something I want to do ASAP - I'm putting on the extra intake manifold I have (complete with injectors, etc) so I can send off the whole kit if that's easier for them - or did you just send in the SC itself?

-- John

VehiGAZ
06/27/2008, 07:09 AM
Thanks dub!

How do I know when it's refilled properly?

WormGod
06/27/2008, 08:50 AM
Thanks dub!

How do I know when it's refilled properly?

When it begins to seep out of the port hole again. Cant get much fuller than that. :)

newthings
06/27/2008, 10:17 AM
I have one on the original Alpine S/C's. I did change the nose unit to the later version to stop a noisy bearing a few years ago.
I have 63k on the VX and about 50k on the S/C. Alpine did the install.
At first I found clear oil in the upper recesses of the nose and pockets around the upper bolts after a few 10's of miles when I filled to the hole. I concluded the oil pushed out past the front seal. Alpine advised leaving the level down about 1/4" below the hole edge. The flexible small hose on the syringe used for filling is used as a dip stick. I fill until the oil runs out and than suck back to 1/4" below the edge. I change the oil once a year.
Roy

VehiGAZ
06/30/2008, 09:41 AM
Thanks so much for the info guys! I will knock out this project this weekend...

Dallas4u
06/30/2008, 10:03 AM
Just an FYI... I had one of the first few SC's installed on my past VX. I complained to Alpine about the noise from the nose cone and they sent me a new one. I never did install it, and I don't know if the internals are different (I assume so, but it is still the cast, not the aluminum). If anyone needs one let me know... it's been sitting in the original shipping box for a couple years now.

johnnyapollo
06/30/2008, 02:31 PM
Hey Dallas - I am interested. Sending you a PM!

-- John

bigpoppax2
07/07/2008, 11:59 AM
Couple of questions as I'm having similar issues.

1. Is your drive one of the cast drives or the machined, billetted aluminum?

Mine is cast.

2. With all that had to be rebuilt (I'm thinking of having the whole thing redone) can you provide a ball-park figure - basically what you've got out-of-pocket less shipping?

A complete rebuild including bearings and seals and the nose cone will run about 400 or so. Go to www.thehighspeedlab.com and give them a call. Bill or Wade will call you back or possibly even answer.

3. What's the turn-around time?

About a week to a week and a half once they get it.

This is something I want to do ASAP - I'm putting on the extra intake manifold I have (complete with injectors, etc) so I can send off the whole kit if that's easier for them - or did you just send in the SC itself?

If you want a full rebuild you'll need to send in just the supercharger. There's no sense in sending them the lower manifold, you'd just be wasting money on shipping.

Sorry it took me so long on the reply, I've been on vacation.

Joe

Tone
07/08/2008, 06:21 PM
There are 2 different nose cones and Rev. 2 is the better, quieter design. And if you're not dealing with a shop that is knowledgeable enough to contact Magnuson (who handles ALL aftermarket EATONs) about 'how it works',they might not be the best ones to be working on it....

bigpoppax2
07/09/2008, 05:33 PM
And if you're not dealing with a shop that is knowledgeable enough to contact Magnuson (who handles ALL aftermarket EATONs) about 'how it works',they might not be the best ones to be working on it....

Well I wondered that until the guy told me that Eaton sends them rotors to be worked on. He does a lot of work for Eaton.

Hell Magnuson told me they couldn't replace the rotor bearings or seals. They also told me that they didn't have the correct nose cone parts to repair mine, but they could build a new one for me. They wanted 750 to rebuild the nosecone and inspect the S/C.

Joe

johnnyapollo
07/09/2008, 05:59 PM
Right - if you talk to Magnuson about drive bearings they'll tell you:

1. Alpine made their own nose for the drive so we don't know what that is.
2. Oh and because Alpine made the nose, we don't know what bearings were used.
3. When asked about replacing the nose - we'll we don't know what the dimensions are so we would have to fab one up for you which leads me to...
4. Anything other than the basic unit, well we'll need to see a banking statement before we'll even take a look at it.

If you call Alpine, they'll basically say:
1. We don't make a unit for a Subaru.. oh an Isuzu? What's an Isuzu?
2. Oh that thing - well you should call Magnuson as they handle all our service on past units.
3. Parts for that unit? Oh we don't have any more in stock (when asked for a replacement billet nose).

So where does that leave us? Oh yeah, there's that company that Joe found...
Tone, I'm not sure if you've actually experienced any of this, as you divested yourself of your Ebony several years ago - but the latest experience (by members of this forum in regards to the Alpine kit with either Alpine or Magnuson) haven't been the best. I think it's great that there are some alternatives. I'm calling Wade in the morning.

-- John

WormGod
07/11/2008, 07:09 AM
Just keep posting ANY info you find. Totally appreciated and very helpful for those of us who have a blue-headed pet for our read-headed stepchild. :p

bigpoppax2
07/14/2008, 10:16 AM
Well I am finally home and I opened the box to find some nice tight new bearings on the nose cone and rotors, a bottle of SC oil, and a new coupler.

I am completely satisfied.

I'll be reinstalling everything soon and I'll report back.

Joe

johnnyapollo
07/14/2008, 10:44 AM
I've tried to call twice and got tied up in thier phone system both times. I'll keep trying.

-- John

bigpoppax2
07/15/2008, 11:16 AM
Look at their site and see if you can find the number for Bill Embree. I think I may have posted it earlier. Anyway he's the one I ended up getting a hold of.

Joe