PDA

View Full Version : RPM Problems

sintex420
06/25/2003, 06:19 AM
I am having a probelm with my VX and I am not sure what it is. When I go to start the car sometimes it will just go back to 0 rpm's and die. And even when I do start the car it is idoling at only about 600 rpm. It is idoling so low that the A/C won't blow cold air when the car is just sitting. I have 65k miles on the VX and it sat for 2 weeks not getting moved when I was out of town. I was woundering if anyone had any ideas. I didn't know if it would be the fuel filter or what.

MrCrowley
06/25/2003, 07:04 AM
Is it just at idle, or can you accelerate and drive it? A suspect couple of things- Go fill up with high octane gas, then buy a fuel filter if yours hasnt been changed (might as well), see how it runs between both. Unless you have a mechanical problem Im sure its either of these. Other people here may have more ideas. Good luck

Tone
06/25/2003, 07:29 AM
Check the MAS to see that it is plugged in completely and the clamps are tight. I had mine come out of the pipe last year in Moab and it had the same symptoms. Fuel filter is a more probable culprit.

Triathlete
06/25/2003, 09:39 AM
Mine does this when it is hot outside. It seems to get vapor lock of some sort. It is usually fixed if I open the gas cap and then put it back on.:flame: :smack: :thumbup: :naughty:

sintex420
06/25/2003, 09:58 AM
I have tried two tanks of high octane gas both from different gas stations and chains so that I could rule out bad fuel. I will try the fual filter first to see. What is the MAS that was mentioned? I am not familiar with this.

AREA 51
06/25/2003, 10:45 AM
Mass airflow sensor, comes off the air cleaner.

driver3
06/25/2003, 11:06 AM
My air seemed to be running low too when I was sitting, but that's the compressor right? I have to be driving to run it well, anyway, where is the fuel filter, I have almost 55k, and I've never checked it, unless the dealer did it at 15k.. where is it so I can check it? and how often do you guys check yours?

AnalogVX
06/25/2003, 11:11 AM
MAS is that square screen looking thing in the air intake with a plug on it. You can tell right away ii it is coming off. I would change the fuel filter too. Any check engine lights? You could have Auto Zone in Elgin check the for codes. It may also be a throttle position sensor. But that wouldn't throw a code however, that would have to be checked out manually.

PS nice to hear from you again!

sintex420
06/25/2003, 01:04 PM
I will look at the MAS first then. Now that you mention what it is i have a feeling that that is it. I didn't have the problem until sat. after I changed my headlight bulbs. I always disconect that for access and maybe I didn't reconnect it all the way. Thanks for the help all.

Tone
06/25/2003, 02:29 PM
That would have been an important thing to MENTION when you made the first post sintex..... :)

sintex420
06/26/2003, 05:30 AM
In my mind I wasn't relating the issue to when I changed the headlight bulbs. I was thinking that the VX wasn't happy that it sat still for two weeks while I was traveling. All is better now though. She is running happily again. Thanks to all.

driver3
06/26/2003, 07:59 AM
Can anyone answer my question?

Dallas4u
06/26/2003, 08:08 AM
Fuel filter is under the VX, on the left hand rear, in front of the rear wheel well. It looks like a cylindrical tube, pinched to smaller tubes on the ends... probably 3-4 inches long (I guess).

driver3
06/26/2003, 10:02 AM
Thanks... do you know if this is a "replace it when it's clogged, or a regular maintinence thing?

Triathlete
06/26/2003, 02:35 PM
Definately replace regularly! They are under $10 at auto parts stores. The removal/relacement takes about 20 minutes (and I'm not very mechanical). Be sure to use something to pinch off the lines for a less messy experience...found this out the hard way!
:smack: ;puke2; :goof: ;Dr;

valenki
09/05/2003, 01:41 PM
just recently replaced the gas filter , the MAS seems to be tight too. what els might it be?

dogue
09/08/2003, 06:18 AM
I had the same problem with my 99 last year, it ended up being the fuel pump and fuel regulator.

Navigator
09/08/2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by driver3
Thanks... do you know if this is a "replace it when it's clogged, or a regular maintinence thing?

... Way too late :D I do mine once a year or every 12,000 miles. A clogged filter will leave you stranded, your engine will show many signs of distress before that happens... poor gas mileage being first, followed by rough idle, etc...

Also make sure you lube all cables, a sticky cable can lead to all sorts of problems, in this case idle can stick, worst case, throtle stuck open... can be fatal... 2 cents worth ;)

SGT.BATGUANO
09/08/2003, 04:01 PM
If it stored any codes due to the unplugged MAS, clear them from memory first. If that's not it, then I'd have to go with the regulator / pump suggestion. Put a gauge on the schrader valve on the fuel rail and start it. Record the reading, then pull and plug the vacuum hose and record that reading. Shut down and see if pressure holds.

Do a search for "stalling problem". A wealth of information awaits you.

VXspaceship
10/07/2003, 03:37 PM
I seem to be having idling problems as many of you. The car does not shut down completely but the RPMs go up and down when I am about to shut the engine down and park. It seems to run better when the A/C is on. I usually shut the A/C down before turning the engine off, right after I turn the A/C off is when I notice the RPMs going up and down.

I changed the gas filter and tried using premium gas but it doesn't help. I checked the MAS plug, since I recently changed the bulbs, and it was also fine.

I unplugged the MAS and ran the engine to see what happens and now is WORSE because the check engine light went on. I put the plug back but the check engine light remains ON.

How do I get the Check Engine light back OFF? Is it possible that I burned a fuse??

Please help? :(

VXspaceship
10/07/2003, 04:31 PM
Read the post on check engine light and reset the computer. The light is gone :)

Since the idling problem is not that severe, it doen't do it all the time. I am going to try with a fuel additive and premium gas.

I'll let you all know if this works.