PDA

View Full Version : TOD sensitivity.........

4X4 UFO
06/18/2008, 08:24 AM
Hey group,
I've got a set of wheels and tires I want to install on my Ebony. Two of the tires have about 1/8" less tread depth than the other two. Will 1/4" difference in diameter between front and rear tires cause the TOD any problems? Just how sensitive is it to speed differential between the front and rear driveshafts? Thanks for any advice.

Randy

Techy-D
06/18/2008, 01:12 PM
When I got my rig there were 2 new tires on the back and the front two had about 3/4 left. It made a lot of gear whine when slowing down. I put new tires on the front the next day and it fixed 90% of it. I don't know that it really effected the TOD or not (No TOD lights or anything), but did make a noticeable noise. Just what I noticed.

4X4 UFO
06/18/2008, 02:35 PM
Thanks, Techy-D........ that's good to know.

Randy

VehiGAZ
06/19/2008, 06:05 AM
Randy, you should definitely be OK as long as you put the more-worn tires on the front. They will spin slightly faster than the rear wheels (due to shorter circumference), which will work to your advantage.

The ToD doesn't like it when it senses that the front wheels are spinning slower than the rears - it interprets this as rear wheel spin, and it will want to transfer torque to the front axle. If the larger (less worn) tires are at the back, they will spin slower than the front, and the ToD will be fine with that.

4X4 UFO
06/19/2008, 06:49 AM
Thanks, VehiGAZ,
I was hoping that might be the case. This will let me put off buying a new set of tires for a while..........

Randy