PDA

View Full Version : Pcv Fyi

Ldub
06/14/2008, 08:01 AM
Yesterday, while driving around, minding my own business :rolleyesg, a nasty Check Engine Light reared its ugly head...having seen more than a few CEL's in the past four years, I checked & cleared the codes with my handy-dandy scan gauge II. (thanks again Tone :thumbup: )
To my surprise, less than a mile down the road, another CEL pops up...Hmmmmm, this might be a REAL problem. :sighwgray
I opened the hood & started poking around & found that my long time favorite PCV valve (Purolater #PV1061) had seperated where the top & bottom halves snap together.
This caused un-metered air to enter the system, throwing codes:
0171 Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1
0174 Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 2

I don't know if this was just a fluke caused by a manufacturing defect, or if Purolators quality has taken a bit of a backslide...I've installed a new PV1061 that I had in inventory, and will be keeping a close eye on this one for any issues.:_wrench:

CoastieCosta567
06/14/2008, 09:42 AM
Hey Ldub, this is kinda of the subject but similer, i have had my ugly check engine light on for a long time, and i have had it cheacked plenty of times, and it says its the EGR Valve, but the strange thing is that i changed the Valve when the light came on and sence then its been on and no matter how many time i clear the freaken ugly code, it comes bac a mile or 2 later and bites me in the Arse hole. Just cuz i have ignored it for a while and thought nothing much about it, i think it's time to find a way to get rid of this ugly little fella. Do you have any idea on what the freak it could be? Thanx Ldub. :gring:

Ldub
06/14/2008, 09:55 AM
Hey Ldub, this is kinda of the subject but similer, i have had my ugly check engine light on for a long time, and i have had it cheacked plenty of times, and it says its the EGR Valve, but the strange thing is that i changed the Valve when the light came on and sence then its been on and no matter how many time i clear the freaken ugly code, it comes bac a mile or 2 later and bites me in the Arse hole. Just cuz i have ignored it for a while and thought nothing much about it, i think it's time to find a way to get rid of this ugly little fella. Do you have any idea on what the freak it could be? Thanx Ldub. :gring:

:_wrench:
Are you still getting the same code(s) ?
Did you clean the carbon out of the EGR tube when you replaced it ?
Was the replacement EGR an OEM ?, or a cheaper one from Auto Zone, O'Rielys, Advance Auto Parts, Checker, etc.
It's possible that you got a faulty EGR...can you take it back & exchange it for another ?

CoastieCosta567
06/14/2008, 10:33 AM
Same code
can't remeber if it was an OEM, i just know it cost me 135 bucks and i did clean the egr tube.
And i can't repace it, it's been over a year and i don't have the receit anymore.

:_wrench:
Are you still getting the same code(s) ?
Did you clean the carbon out of the EGR tube when you replaced it ?
Was the replacement EGR an OEM ?, or a cheaper one from Auto Zone, O'Rielys, Advance Auto Parts, Checker, etc.
It's possible that you got a faulty EGR...can you take it back & exchange it for another ?

VehiGAZ
06/14/2008, 11:53 AM
a nasty Check Engine Light reared its ugly head

Larry, I'm sorry - this one is my fault. Well, actually, it's your fault for making your "I've been CEL-free for 2+ years" boast when we were discussing MAFs and my CELs a couple of months back. But I prompted you to taunt fate like that, so I'll take part of the blame...

Ldub
06/14/2008, 12:32 PM
Larry, I'm sorry - this one is my fault. Well, actually, it's your fault for making your "I've been CEL-free for 2+ years" boast when we were discussing MAFs and my CELs a couple of months back. But I prompted you to taunt fate like that, so I'll take part of the blame...

(three stooges moe voice-on)

Why you, I oughtta...:smilewink

(tsmv-off)

In retrospect, I should have edited that statement to read "cel free for two years, except when in Moab"...:rolleyesg

I really think it is the wrench gods that are to blame.:_wrench:

etlsport
06/14/2008, 04:58 PM
taking my purolator PCV out last time i replaced it, i pulled it right in half like you said.. still bought another though.. i like em

Ldub
06/14/2008, 05:07 PM
taking my purolator PCV out last time i replaced it, i pulled it right in half like you said.. still bought another though.. i like em

I thought it would be handy (thougk not economically feasible) to make a threaded aluminium outer case, the same inner & outer dimensoins as a plastic PCV valve, that would use the "guts" out of the Purolator...just unthread it & clean it out.:_wrench:

VCrossfan
06/14/2008, 05:32 PM
Vent filter...no PCV. Installed over a year..no probs

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/thumbs/VX_vent_filter_001.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=8420)

Lizardmen3477
06/14/2008, 06:27 PM
My EGR Value is was OEM is and the best replacement it was 380.00 This just happen to me last month so I got if fixed only cost me 200.00 cause i have ship so i got it a shop price not retial but anyway once i cleaned and fixed and cleared light it went away for good. Hope you can fix good luck,

Spyder
06/14/2008, 07:36 PM
My vx had the egr code a couple months back.
I took the egr valve off and cleaned the heck out of it.
No problems since.
If it wasn't so easy to get to, I would have probably replaced it.

You can take it out, clean it, and put it back in about 30 min.
Just two bolts and wiring conection.
I used carb cleaner, starting fluid, and finished it off with pb blaster.
You can move the valve in and out to get it clean.