PDA

View Full Version : Dragon versitility

snowtrooper1966
06/13/2008, 12:08 PM
Gotta say, I am loving the Dragon!
I have recently done some exploring for an upcoming VX meet w/ the Reno VX crew.
I was descending a glacial moraine trail last night @ dusk that was about a 2k foot elevated climb. I stopped halfway so SnowtrooperJR and I could take in the view. Stunnung! Wish I had my camera (and cell, yikes!).
For me being the novice 4x4 guy, it was kinda scary by ourselves and no pone or full size spare tire, but the Dragon keept us safe and performed very well!
Then, on the twisty mountain road home, with the VX hugging the corners at twice the posted speed limit, it was hard to belive I was in the same vehicle.
We really are fortunate to have such versitile mode of transportation.
I am sure there are similar out there, but none with the style of our Vx's!
Best,

nfpgasmask
06/13/2008, 01:26 PM
Dude, it is amazing. Once you get more comfy behind the wheel, its awesome. I felt the same way when I went to Moab in 07. There is that initial hesitation, worry and for lack of better words, fear. Now, just lift and put some bigger meat on there, and you will be 10x more confident. This past trip to Moab was 100% better with the lift. I am still a cautious driver, unlike Zeus ( :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ), but I just felt way more confident, and 100% less worried.

The VehiCROSS is a blast!

Bart

snowtrooper1966
06/13/2008, 02:21 PM
I'm still not sold on the lift. As I said above, I love the handling on road as well! Perhaps I can compare the difference in how a lifted VX handling changes when the Reno crew gets here for the 4th.
Best,

nfpgasmask
06/13/2008, 02:31 PM
I'm still not sold on the lift. As I said above, I love the handling on road as well! Perhaps I can compare the difference in how a lifted VX handling changes when the Reno crew gets here for the 4th.
Best,

Well, here's the cool thing. All I did to lift was crank my torsion bars and put the OME 912s in the rear. The OME 912s were 120 bucks for the pair, iirc. So, if you are willing to spend $120 you can easily test out the lift. If you really hate it, you can certainly sell your springs to someone on this forum I am sure.

I have had my lift on now for just over a month, and I do not feel a difference in handling. I still corner at high speeds and turn tight and all of the other great stuff my VX did before. I think the ride is a lot smoother too, especially in the rear. No more slamming. The only REAL difference, is the pick up. With the lift and 265s, Power Drive really helps get my VX going.

Anyway, imho, $120 isn't bad to see if you like it, which I KNOW you will! :)

Bart

Ascinder
06/13/2008, 07:55 PM
My style lift was $50 plus shipping. At less than a tank of gas, how could ou go wrong?:bwgy: It only takes 15-30 minutes to put in, depending on proper prep(spraying the bolts with liquid wrench); tools(jacks, jackstands, big piece of wood, proper socket, and breaker bar); and number of lift experienced people(3 at least in this case). We could literally lift you at the campsite, see how you like it, then leave it or remove it by the end of the trip!;)

snowtrooper1966
06/13/2008, 08:15 PM
Where do I get the springs?
Best,

Ldub
06/13/2008, 10:34 PM
Where do I get the springs?
Best,

www.independent4x.com

Solitude
06/14/2008, 05:37 AM
I know this is probably a DUH question.. but... was the Ascinder CV failure because of the lift or age of the CV's. I will research your lift more when I get back from vacation.. In Maine at the moment doing the tourist thing.. Flew
VX is back in arizona baking in 110 degree heat. I will live though.. itsa Dragon

Scott Harness
06/14/2008, 07:59 AM
Lift! Lift! Lift!

nfpgasmask
06/14/2008, 09:44 AM
www.independent4x.com

Yeah, or rocky-road.com, but they took like 3-4 weeks to get me my springs.

Bart

snowtrooper1966
06/14/2008, 11:30 AM
It looks like Independent 4X4 wants 170 for the springs....
That's TWO tanks 'O petrol.
Anyone have a cheaper source?
Best,

nfpgasmask
06/14/2008, 11:45 AM
It looks like Independent 4X4 wants 170 for the springs....
That's TWO tanks 'O petrol.
Anyone have a cheaper source?
Best,

Hey James, try here:

http://www.rocky-road.com/vehicross.html

The price on there is per spring, so don't get too excited. You want the "Rear OME Coil Spring". You do not need the "heavy duty" ones.

Bart

VehiGAZ
06/14/2008, 11:59 AM
was the Ascinder CV failure because of the lift or age of the CV's.

I'm not the expert on this topic, but it seems that lifting puts stress on the CVs making them susceptible to failure.

Experts - does flipping the CVs help in this case? Or am I thinking of something else that gets flipped (ball joints?)?

snowtrooper1966
06/14/2008, 11:59 AM
OK, more dumb qestions.
Would I want the heavy duty spring for the same price?
Are the springs from independent4X different, enough to be worth the extra dough, besides the fact I most likely would get them faster?
Thanks,

nfpgasmask
06/14/2008, 01:21 PM
OK, more dumb qestions.
Would I want the heavy duty spring for the same price?
Are the springs from independent4X different, enough to be worth the extra dough, besides the fact I most likely would get them faster?
Thanks,

That I don't know. I don't think you want the heavy duty ones, I think those are the 914s???? I am not sure on this. I would call Rocky-Road and ask.

:) Bart

nfpgasmask
06/14/2008, 01:24 PM
I'm not the expert on this topic, but it seems that lifting puts stress on the CVs making them susceptible to failure.

Experts - does flipping the CVs help in this case? Or am I thinking of something else that gets flipped (ball joints?)?

Yes, you are thinking of the ball-joint flip, which may or may not help with aligning your VX after the lift.

Ascinder's CV boots most likely tore because his lift (which is roughly 1-2"s more than mine) put his CV joints at an extreme angle, which will eventually cause them to tear. My lift (OME 912s with about 10-12 cranks of the torsion bars) was much less than Ascinder's, and my CV boots seem to be ok, for the moment. CrnCnn has the same lift as me and his tore. I think it also depends on how dry rotted your boots are also...

Bart

Ldub
06/14/2008, 01:29 PM
That I don't know. I don't think you want the heavy duty ones, I think those are the 914s???? I am not sure on this. I would call Rocky-Road and ask.

:) Bart

I believe those to be the 919's, which I have.
Great if you drag all your tools & spare parts with you everywhere you go.
Probably not so great if you travel with a "normal" load...would lift maybe "slightly" more (maybe 1/8-1/4") & also make the ride more harsh, especially over speed bumps etc.

Triathlete
06/14/2008, 01:31 PM

You can not "flip" CV joints. The ball joint flip will do nothing for relieving stress on your CV's. It only makes wheel alignments easier. The only way to relieve the stress on the CV's for a lifted VX is to have some diff drop bracets fab'd up to rlieve the angle of your axle shafts....or just chop all that IFS stuff off and do a SAS!:cool:

snowtrooper1966
06/14/2008, 02:26 PM
OK, so I do not need the heavy duty 919's, since I only drive around with SnowtrooperJR and myself.
Any one have experience if the Independedt4X 912's are worth the extra dough?
Best,

Ldub
06/14/2008, 03:15 PM
OK, so I do not need the heavy duty 919's, since I only drive around with SnowtrooperJR and myself.
Any one have experience if the Independedt4X 912's are worth the extra dough?
Best,

Same springs, Indy4x offers faster service, & better overall support of the Isuzu off-road community.

Ascinder
06/19/2008, 12:03 AM
was the Ascinder CV failure because of the lift or age of the CV's.
The lift, but probably the way the way the cvs were put on. I replaced the old boots with mecatechs when I did the lift. The two inners failed, the outers are both still fine. I think the shaft angle in the inner cup is higher than the outer cup resulting in the inners having to flex a lot more as the shaft rotates, leading to increased wear. Different boot placement may alleviate this by helping the boot not fold in on itself on the bottoms and stretching at the tops, both causing extra wear.

Yes, lifting stresses the cvs. But they will be fine for a good long time as long as they stay nice and lubed and the boots stay together:rolleyes:.

Ball joints get flipped, cvs get more angled the higher they get lifted. Installing diff drop brackets reduces that angle somewhat(less stress and wear). With the drop brackets and 4.5" lift, my cvs are only seeing a 2"~2.5" lift. That is why I maintain the boots were put in wrong initially.