PDA

View Full Version : VehiCROSS: AWD or Full-Time 4WD

etlsport
06/10/2008, 06:49 PM
just curious what thoughts on it are? i pulled the 4wd sticker off the back door some time ago and since ive been pretty worried that if i were to get towed without that sticker and they dragged the wheels and destroyed the transmission/xcase they wouldnt be liable.. so i put on awd stickers.. then realized hmm what is it?

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/awd_003.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=11475)

kodiak
06/10/2008, 08:22 PM
Its 4WD, AWD generally means you don’t have a 2 speed low rang transfer case or its not off-road capable. Generally AWD means not as good.:rolleyes:

WormGod
06/11/2008, 07:53 AM
I consider us the redheaded stepchild of both worlds.

AWD with 4WD capabilities. :cool:

VehiGAZ
06/11/2008, 10:45 AM
Or 4WD with AWD capabilities?

I was just thinking about this same subject the other day, but not for towing reasons (although since you mention it, that's a pretty important consideration). My thought on the matter was that we are closer to 4WD mechanically since our front and rear axles are always connected to some extent (never fully decoupled) when the vehicle is running.

Ooo... there's a good VX tech question - does the ToD decouple the axles when it is NOT running?

kodiak
06/11/2008, 11:29 AM
Ok this is the Wikipedia definition.

"All-wheel drive (AWD) is often used to describe a "full time" 4WD that may be used on dry pavement without destroying the drivetrain (It should be noted that "Full-Time" 4WD can be disengaged and the center differential can be locked, essentially turning it into regular 4WD. On the other hand, AWD cannot be disengaged and the center differential cannot be locked.)"

center differential = transfer case

etlsport
06/11/2008, 11:43 AM
from what i read a full time 4wd means that all 4 wheels have equal torque to them safely on dry pavement... awd is generally all wheels spin, with variable torque.. but with no low range:_confused

who knows.. now i dont have to worry about liability of getting towed improperly at least.. not that i should be getting towed or anything.. just nice peace of mind

kodiak
06/11/2008, 11:52 AM
from what i read a full time 4wd means that all 4 wheels have equal torque to them safely on dry pavement... awd is generally all wheels spin, with variable torque.. but with no low range:_confused

who knows.. now i dont have to worry about liability of getting towed improperly at least.. not that i should be getting towed or anything.. just nice peace of mind

Full time 4wd is AWD + the ability to lock the transfer case. That is what you do when you put it in to 4_Low. AWD doesn’t have that ability.

So-CalVX
06/11/2008, 11:57 AM
i like the AWD w/ 4WD capability.
and as for the towing...... FLATBED
just my .02

Richard

VehiGAZ
06/12/2008, 06:09 AM
and as for the towing...... FLATBED Richard

+1!!!

etlsport
06/12/2008, 06:26 AM
+1!!!

yea that was the reason i put the stickers on in the first place.. so anyone towing would know to use a flatbed, because i pulled the 4wd off the back

Solitude
06/12/2008, 07:55 PM
yea that was the reason i put the stickers on in the first place.. so anyone towing would know to use a flatbed, because i pulled the 4wd off the back

was just thinking and couldn't help but wonder.. are ya planning on illegally parking or having the Repo man stop by soon?

I had mine towed a couple weeks back when I screwed up a tire.. the first words out of my mouth after hello and help.. were "I need a roll back please":bgwo::bgwo:

etlsport
06/12/2008, 09:15 PM
lol no but i used to live in philly.. and commute there often still.. and they love to tow vehicles.. plus i just started parking at a train station out here and they have a really bad system for paying daily and im just waiting for the day when my payment doesnt register and i get towed.. better safe than sorry

blacksambo
06/16/2008, 07:09 PM
What we have definitionally speaking is "automatic four wheel drive". As long as they don't tow by the primary drive rear wheels you should be all right. There is no LSD on the front which is the part that gets screwed up when towing. Let me know if this for some reason is not correct? I've had mine towed this way with no ill consequences.