PDA

View Full Version : Fish Tanks

KaNGiX
06/09/2008, 09:30 PM
Hey just curios If any of ya had Tropical Tanks or Saltwater set up. In the process of my first Tropical tank!

taylorRichie
06/10/2008, 07:43 AM
I was into Marine Aquariums a few years ago...

Definitely go with Tropical fish, especially if you're new to it... Otherwise you'll spend more time and money on your Marine tank than you do on your VX...

In the 2 years I had a tank (didn't set it back up after the move to my new house) I spent well over $3,000 on it... Don't get me wrong it was extremely fun... but a ton of work. And a bit of stress (power outages, expensive coral acclimation, power bills [halide lighting] chillers, etc.)

:D

tomdietrying
06/10/2008, 08:29 AM
Yeah, go tropical. I did the salt water thing a while back. All I remember was the money spent and the work that went into it. I never really could appreciate it.
Peace.
Tom

nfpgasmask
06/10/2008, 08:33 AM
I would say go tropical as well. Salt tanks can be pretty advanced, and will require a lot of time and money. Don't get me wrong, tropical tanks can do the same, but you can manage it a little easier I think.

As for buying a tank, if you are not in a hurry, check Craigslist daily and you will find a good deal on a big tank. I got a 125 gallon tank and cabinet for $170. It now houses my Mata Mata.

If I ever had more time and money, I would set up an aquaforest.

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/uimages/sf/2-1-aquarium1.jpg

Bart

kodiak
06/10/2008, 09:56 AM
My brother in low has a salt water talk and he dumps so much money in to that thing. He’s always having problems and he’s never happy with it. STAY AWAY FROM SALT WATER TANKS!!!

That’s a nice tank Bart.:thumbup:

nfpgasmask
06/10/2008, 10:01 AM
That’s a nice tank Bart.:thumbup:[/SIZE][/FONT]

Yeah, I think fresh water aqua-scaping is the coolest thing. There is a store in San Fran that sells all the stuff and they have like 40 tanks setup in there and they are all heavily planted and look just beautiful. But you have pump CO2 into the tanks, and you need all sorts of fertilizers and etc, and the setup take a long time. I think though, once you get the "ecosystem" established in the tank, the maintenance is minimal. Someday maybe, but right now 75% of my "fun money" is now going to gas for the VX. :mad:

Bart

IndianaVX
06/10/2008, 03:41 PM
Freshwater defenatly!!! as far as getting colorful fish, i had alot of fun with chiclids (sp?...been a while) they are beautiful fish and grow to be a nice size in a nice tank. they are easy to keep, and will interact with you as you look into their world on the other side of the glass.
there are two kinds, african, and south african. you arent supposed to mix the two in the same tank, but i did without much problem. they can also be fed live feeder guppies, instead of dry food, but i would only do that on occasion.
aquariums are very cool and calming. good luck with it.

nfpgasmask
06/10/2008, 04:03 PM
aquariums are very cool and calming.

Yup, just like Ron Camp said in Ace Ventura: "No matter how I am feeling, I can always watch them swim"

:p Bart