PDA

View Full Version : Clunk Sound in the drivetrain

dtruax
06/24/2003, 03:49 PM
I'm curious about something. I had my vehicle in for a ton of repairs (windows, CD, etc) and one of the things I asked them to look at was a sound I sometimes hear when the car is shifting. It seems to be more noticable in the "power" mode, but I can make it "clunk" or maybe "clink" by shifting the car into reverse and them back to drive a few times. It reminds me of how the u-joint sounded on a 71 Camaro before it went "ka-plink" and broke.

The dealer said that the sound is normal, and that they checked it out. He mentioned that they even lubed the driveshaft for me.

Curious if anyone else clinks, clunks, clonks or clanks when shifting.

Heraclid
06/24/2003, 04:15 PM
Wish I could help more. All I know is mine does kinda clunk when hitting the 5 mph mark during braking. This is apparently normal and sometimes is not as noticeable as others. Seems like if I slow down more gradually it tends not to happen, and it does tend to happen more during harder, less gradual stops. I guess it is the TOD disengaging because I know it engages at 5 mph, too. Thing about that is I never hear it engage during acceleration, only the apparent sound of disengaging during deceleration.

JasonB
06/24/2003, 05:43 PM
the "clunk" is not unique to VX's, it happens in 2gen rodeos and amigos/RS's too. My thoughts on this are the slip joint in the rear drive shaft. When you stop hard, the front end squats more and extends the shaft. As the rear end settles, the truck will either clunk then, or on takeoff. Mine thumps/clunks on takeoff, just as i take the slack out of the drivetrain. Not sure if this is it, but it gets better after i lube up the shaft. (8 bolts and some grease)

MrCrowley
06/25/2003, 07:23 AM
Dont worry about it. Ive had 2 Troopers, have a Trooper and a VX. Not counting the manual '88 Trooper- no noise. But on the 93, 98, and VX, they all do it and have always done it. Ive heard someone else talk abut lubing them too. probably the best idea.

VehiCrazy
06/25/2003, 08:54 AM
I just got mine back from the dealer this past monday. I told him about the same thing (clunk sound when tranny shifts). They told me that they checked it all out, but that the sound was okay, due to the wheelbase of the vehicle... I agree with you though, it sounds JUST like a u-joint before it breaks! Oh well, its under warranty. I just hope it doesn't break when I am in the middle of nowhere (or even on the edge)!!

xdfarrx
06/25/2003, 03:13 PM
I had a problem when de-accelerating. I had the tranny looked at, band applied solinoid. All came up with no problems. It turnen out it was the U-joints. The tolerances are very small and if they are tight it will bind and when they release, that clunk makes itself known.
Hope that helps-