PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak from ????

nfpgasmask
06/05/2008, 08:27 AM
I noticed a drop on the garage floor again and crawled under. Its definitely oil and its not coming from my pan. It looks like its dropping down onto the top of my front diff on the passenger side, and then dripping down the side of the diff and splattering underneath a little.

I looked in from over and under with a flashlight and I can't really see where it would be coming from. It seems like a running leak, which is probably not so good. I wiped everything clean and then checked in the morning and it was still dry, but after a drive there is some oil there again. :(

The VX is running fine and I am not throwing and codes, so it just seems like a slight leak from somewhere.

Any ideas? I will post pics later.

Bart

tom4bren
06/05/2008, 09:58 AM
Don't really know where it might be coming from either. I would suggest that you check your EGR tube, PCV & oil fill cap to make sure they are all OK but I seem to remember that you've been doing that already. Is your dipstick seated firmly? (that sounds bad - keep it clean folks)

nfpgasmask
06/05/2008, 10:07 AM
I haven't checked the EGR tube, but everything else you mentioned is good. I'm changing my oil after work tomorrow, and will install a new PCV as well. I think I will clean everything up real nice underneath and see what happens. Unfortunately, I am thinking its a engine leak somewhere, probably a gasket.

Bart

crager34
06/05/2008, 10:10 AM
The previous owner of my VX had some after market gauges in mine and I had a leak from the sending unit. I took out the old one and put in a plug.

Check that out.

etlsport
06/05/2008, 10:21 AM
i know that i have a lot of oil in that area in my VX from an unsteady hand and lack of funnel when adding oil to my VX. maybe you have oil pooled somewhere from a miss? I've noticed that i am still losing a good amount of oil around my oil cap, and the cap and gasket are less than 6 months old.. probably a pressure issue somewhere... but if you are losing oil there, maybe its building up somewhere

ive been thinking recently.. any chance the oil consumption has to do with the bad intake manifold gaskets? I ask because supercharged engines dont seem to have as much problem with oil leaking.. and the intake manifold has been removed on all of those engines and the gaskets replaced...

nfpgasmask
06/05/2008, 10:35 AM
i know that i have a lot of oil in that area in my VX from an unsteady hand and lack of funnel when adding oil to my VX. maybe you have oil pooled somewhere from a miss? I've noticed that i am still losing a good amount of oil around my oil cap, and the cap and gasket are less than 6 months old.. probably a pressure issue somewhere... but if you are losing oil there, maybe its building up somewhere

ive been thinking recently.. any chance the oil consumption has to do with the bad intake manifold gaskets? I ask because supercharged engines dont seem to have as much problem with oil leaking.. and the intake manifold has been removed on all of those engines and the gaskets replaced...

Your thinking is my thinking. An intake manifold gasket leak is what I am guessing. I am careful when I pour, I use a big funnel, and I haven't spilled any oil under the hood in some time. And since I have been doing this since I bought my VX, I am sure its not from me spilling. This dribble, although slight, seems to be coming from a consistent source. I will take photos soon.

Bart

nfpgasmask
06/05/2008, 10:56 AM
Are there any psssttttf noises when you are on an incline? :bgwg:

Thankfully, no. I don't ever want to hear that sound again. :smilewink

Bart

nfpgasmask
06/05/2008, 01:59 PM
I snapped some pics. This is looking up at the front diff. Passenger side on the right.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/0013.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/11421)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/0022.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/11422)

I am not 100% sure its oil, but it seems to be. I'm gonna let some drip on a piece of white paper tonight so I can be sure, cause I almost wonder if it is dirty coolant. But I think its oil.

Bart

nfpgasmask
06/06/2008, 08:44 AM
So I jacked up the front end yesterday and really looked around. I also dabbed up some of the fluid and I am still not 100% sure its oil.

Could it be diff fluid leaking from my front diff? If so, where would it be coming from? The plug on the diff case looks clean. I just really couldn't see if it was oil leaking down from somewhere. If it is oil coming off the engine, its definitely leak from the bottom of the engine...

I'm clueless....and a little worried. I need to find a good, trustworthy Zu mech in Reno.

Bart

Y33TREKker
06/06/2008, 09:10 AM
Would also putting a piece of cardboard on top of the diff (but not touching) overnight help narrow down where the leak may be coming from?

nfpgasmask
06/06/2008, 09:48 AM
Would also putting a piece of cardboard on top of the diff (but not touching) overnight help narrow down where the leak may be coming from?

That's a dern fine idea, sir. Thanks.

Bart

kodiak
06/06/2008, 10:00 AM
I have that same leek and I can’t figure out where its coming from. I’m thinking its from the front dif. I have a feeling it was over filled during its last servicing. I had that happen ones on my bronco about 15 years ago. It was seeping from the seal on one side of the dif, after I returned it to its normal level then it was fine,I’m going check it this weekend.

nfpgasmask
06/06/2008, 10:10 AM
I have that same leek and I can’t figure out where its coming from. I’m thinking its from the front dif. I have a feeling it was over filled during its last servicing. I had that happen ones on my bronco about 15 years ago. It was seeping from the seal on one side of the dif, after I returned it to its normal level then it was fine,I’m going check it this weekend.

Interesting. I was planning to service my diffs soon. Its been about 30k since I changed my diffs. If there is a bad seal on a diff though, what can be done?

Bart

kodiak
06/06/2008, 10:22 AM
This is what mine looks like.:confused:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/FrontDifLeek800.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=11428)

nfpgasmask
06/06/2008, 10:25 AM
This is what mine looks like.:confused:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/FrontDifLeek800.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=11428)

Richard, how many miles on your VX? This looks exactly like mine too, but your fluid looks more green? Makes me wonder, do we have coolant dripping down from somewhere? Are you SURE yours is diff fluid?

Bart

kodiak
06/06/2008, 10:31 AM
Richard, how many miles on your VX? This looks exactly like mine too, but your fluid looks more green? Makes me wonder, do we have coolant dripping down from somewhere? Are you SURE yours is diff fluid?

Bart

It has 89k on it, that drip took about a day to develop. It doesn’t smell like antifreeze and it feels like oil.

nfpgasmask
06/06/2008, 10:45 AM
It has 89k on it, that drip took about a day to develop. It doesn’t smell like antifreeze and it feels like oil.

Yeah, then you are definitely leaking from the same place I am. Mine is the same, feels slimy, and most certainly doesn't smell like coolant. I think if it were coolant we would be smelling it hard once it heated up down there. Yours just looked green in that photo. So I am thinking diff fluid or engine oil. I'm gonna do the aforementioned cardboard trick tonight, that is, if I can get some jammed up ther in the right spot.

As far as my leak goes, it seems like its coming out when I drive, not like a typical leak that leaks all the time, driving or parked. I can go under there and wipe it off as much as I can with a rag, and then its still dry in the morning. But after I drive, its wet again...

Bart

kodiak
06/06/2008, 10:52 AM
Yeah, then you are definitely leaking from the same place I am. Mine is the same, feels slimy, and most certainly doesn't smell like coolant. I think if it were coolant we would be smelling it hard once it heated up down there. Yours just looked green in that photo. So I am thinking diff fluid or engine oil. I'm gonna do the aforementioned cardboard trick tonight, that is, if I can get some jammed up ther in the right spot.

As far as my leak goes, it seems like its coming out when I drive, not like a typical leak that leaks all the time, driving or parked. I can go under there and wipe it off as much as I can with a rag, and then its still dry in the morning. But after I drive, its wet again...

Bart

Awesome! I’m going to check the dif fluid tomorrow and see if it looks green. I had them do full synthetic, I wounder if that’s what the dif fluid looks like? :confused:

nfpgasmask
06/06/2008, 10:54 AM
I have seen diff fluid turn greenish if water got into it and I have seen it turn rust color if it got really hot. I think I am going to agree with etl on this one. If the head or intake gasket cracked, couldn't it leak both oil and coolant, mixing it together? :confused:

Perhaps. If it is a head or intake gasket, we are talking major engine work, correct?

Bart

kodiak
06/06/2008, 11:03 AM
Perhaps. If it is a head or intake gasket, we are talking major engine work, correct?

Bart

If it was a head gasket you'd start to see evidence of coolant in the oil. The oil in mine is perfect and I haven’t had to top it off since Moab.

kodiak
06/06/2008, 11:08 AM
Its actually pretty amassing that after almost 90k this is the first evidence of oil seepage. It’s kind of like finding you first gray hair.:rolleyes:

nfpgasmask
06/06/2008, 11:18 AM
If it was a head gasket you'd start to see evidence of coolant in the oil. The oil in mine is perfect and I haven’t had to top it off since Moab.

Well, my oil looks good too, I can't say the same for topping off, but it does not show signs of coolant mixing...

Bart

JHarris1385
06/06/2008, 11:18 AM
I would vote it is your seal. Just happens to be leaking from the opposite side mine is. Water most likely got into your oil and broke it down. Not only would I change the diff but also repack your bearings if you know you have been in mud or water recently.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Picture_0051.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Picture_0042.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Picture_0031.jpg

nfpgasmask
06/06/2008, 11:22 AM
J, so you're saying its the seal around the diff? How can this be fixed?

Bart

PS - I hardly ever drive in water, its dry as a bone out here. The deepest water I have been in lately was this:

http://www.nofuture.com/lj/05-13-08/17.jpg

But then again, do you think just rain water splashing up that way would be enough to penetrate the seal?

Y33TREKker
06/06/2008, 11:23 AM
I should probably know this already, but where is the condensor for the AC located? Since it's been warmer out lately, have you been running the AC? Maybe what you're seeing is just accumulated water dripping off the condensor, which is collecting grease and grime as it makes it's way over dirty engine and chassis surfaces on it's way to the ground? That would also explain why it only seems to happen when the vehicle is driven.

JHarris1385
06/06/2008, 11:28 AM
Y33 not a bad idea.

Bart, I would at least change your diff fluid no matter at if it has been 30k. I think the intervals is 15K. But I could be wrong and probably am. The seal is about $14 but a pain in the arse to get to. Our axel is set up to only be serviced by taking it off the brackets and dropping. I have had this leak for quite some time, maybe a year now. Everytime I have either added oil or changed it stopped. Changing this seal out is going to be one heft mech ticket, the estimate is 4hours of labor and this is why I have not done it yet. In the meantime I did manage to build some drop brackets so we can tackle that at the same time. I am not 100% sold on it being the seal but I kind of think it is. The spray pattern seems to be from circular motion while in drive.

nfpgasmask
06/06/2008, 11:33 AM
I should probably know this already, but where is the condensor for the AC located? Since it's been warmer out lately, have you been running the AC? Maybe what you're seeing is just accumulated water dripping off the condensor, which is collecting grease and grime as it makes it's way over dirty engine and chassis surfaces on it's way to the ground? That would also explain why it only seems to happen when the vehicle is driven.

Yes, a good thought, but I rarely run my a/c. I ran if for about 20 miles on the way back from Moab, and that's it. Since I have been home, it hasn't been on once.

Bart

nfpgasmask
06/06/2008, 11:34 AM
Bart, I would at least change your diff fluid no matter at if it has been 30k. I think the intervals is 15K. But I could be wrong and probably am. The seal is about $14 but a pain in the arse to get to. Our axel is set up to only be serviced by taking it off the brackets and dropping. I have had this leak for quite some time, maybe a year now. Everytime I have either added oil or changed it stopped. Changing this seal out is going to be one heft mech ticket, the estimate is 4hours of labor and this is why I have not done it yet. In the meantime I did manage to build some drop brackets so we can tackle that at the same time. I am not 100% sold on it being the seal but I kind of think it is. The spray pattern seems to be from circular motion while in drive.

Thanks for the info, J. I am planning to do my diffs very soon, so we'll see...

Bart

kodiak
06/06/2008, 11:46 AM
If we go thru the trouble of dropping the diff we mite as well do the CV boots too,
get it all with one shot. My leek is very slow so I can wait. I know my CV boots are next so if it is the seals I can wait.

nfpgasmask
06/06/2008, 01:17 PM
That's cuz you are burning it all out! :p Two things - first, the "seal" around the diff mounts are just liquid gaskets - if the bolts back out and the diff starts to move around some, sure, it will leak. Tighten them back up and it may go away. This is the case on my VX. Second, the pinion oil seal... if that is what is leaking (again, such as the case with my VX) the front driveshaft would be removed, the pinion nut removed, the yoke removed, the oil seal removed, the crush collar removed, a new crush collar installed, a new oil seal installed, a new pinion nut installed - everything else would be reused but the preload will have to be set by a pro unless you can find access to the appropriate tool to do it yourself. If it is your oil seal at the pinion, parking on an incline will usually force fluid past the seal - it might not leak otherwise... unless of course when driving.

When you say oil around the pinion seal, is that the engine? Sorry, I'm not that up to speed with all yer technical mech 50cent words. I'm still learning. :)

Bart

nfpgasmask
06/09/2008, 07:52 AM
Bart, did you find out anything?

Negative. This weekend was kind of a cluster for me so I didn't even get a chance to look at it again.

Bart

kodiak
06/09/2008, 10:29 AM
Me to, I had some unexpected interruptions.:hat::blab::_beer:

nfpgasmask
10/24/2008, 01:03 PM
So, I am still leaking from this spot and I would say it is the seal around my diff. So, has anyone else out there with leak got it fixed?

Bart

tom4bren
10/24/2008, 01:40 PM
Bart,

Mine hasn't leaked but since I just completed my diff drop I kinda know what's going on in there. If you are going to do the diff drop then you'll be removing the seal anyway. This would be the time to replace the CV boots as well since you'll be 97.3% of the way there anyway.

Have you looked at StarChild's instructions for installing the Darlington diff drop brackets? I have it in pdf if you want me to send it to you. You can see the seal in the third picture in those instructions.

I didn't replace my seal (StarChild indicated this was OK so I took the gamble). I just happen to have 2 spares from the axle I got from the boneyard if you need them tho.

If you can live with the leak until you are ready to do the diff drop, I would recommend that you do so. You'll have the axle broken down as far as you'll ever take it during that process so just wait till then to perform any more diagnostics.

nfpgasmask
10/24/2008, 01:57 PM
Tom,

My first question in response to your reply, is why do I need to do the diff drop? I know this will help with the angle of my CV joints, but I don't think I am lifted to the extent you are.

But yeah, to change the seal looks like I will be going all the way in and removing the CV up front to get at it, which I am sure will fubar the boots...

Maybe I will just deal with the leak and keep checking the levels until I decide its time to do the work.

Bart

tom4bren
10/24/2008, 02:23 PM
Bart,

You lifted 3" right? That's all I lifted & have been trashing 2 sets of CV boots per year. I think LittleBeast is the same. CSTYLES is the same. You may not have torn a boot yet but chances are that you will eventually. I'm not trying to talk you into the diff drop - just letting you know. The only reason for dropping the differential is to prolong CV joint & CV boot life - there are no other benefits.

Removing the CV boots won't trash them if you're careful. The only damage I did to mine was a small cut when I was trying to remove the band.

If there is a remote possibility that you will eventually want the diff drops then take care of it all at once: diff drop, CV boots, oil seal, re-gear, lockers. Trust me, it's not a job you'll want to do twice. It's not that complicated but it's dirty & time consuming.

Tom

nfpgasmask
10/24/2008, 03:14 PM
You know, I don't know exactly what height increase I had. I just put in the OME912s in the rear and cranked the front end up about 9-11 turns. And that was that. So far so good with my boots. You're right, they will probably tear eventually. But I guess what I don't understand, is that there are a few of us on here with diff drop brackets who are still breaking boots...

???? Bart

JHarris1385
10/24/2008, 03:52 PM
Bart - I am at the same height as you are and am driving with a torn boot. Tom is at the same hieght as well. We all in fact are at roughly the same height other than that one with 36's.

tom if you do not mind would you send me that pdf? I have a seal leak as well. I am only waiting on a cross member drop and a few $$ to install this. I plan on knocking out the diff drop along with a load of other mods/services at the same time.

tom4bren
10/27/2008, 05:37 AM
J,

I'll PM you.

Tom

psychos2
10/28/2008, 05:27 PM
You know, I don't know exactly what height increase I had. I just put in the OME912s in the rear and cranked the front end up about 9-11 turns. And that was that. So far so good with my boots. You're right, they will probably tear eventually. But I guess what I don't understand, is that there are a few of us on here with diff drop brackets who are still breaking boots...

???? Bart

I am at stock height and had to replace a boot. shawn

tom4bren
11/03/2008, 11:16 AM
Bone stock or lifted with diff drops - there will be a few CV boot casualties. The diff drops just keep you from replacing boots twice a year.