PDA

View Full Version : Water Depth

VCross007
06/03/2008, 02:39 PM
I was at oak creek yesterday, a popular place here in arizona to off road, and i was thinking about crossing, but it was up to my knee at some points. Does anyone know our maximum wading depth for stock vehicles?

WiSDoM
06/03/2008, 05:17 PM
it depends on a few things but it has been my experience to stay out of water the water as much as possible. our TOD sensors hate water and you also have the aternator located near the bottom of the engine and if you get water in the cab you can wreck the main computer and the tod computer which is located under the passenger seat. it is a good idea to have good tires with deep luggs too so you can maintain positive forward movement. I put electrical tape on all the plugs and sensor i could find.
if i was you i would avoid it. look at my gallery hehehe

i was upto my headlight in water and tires full of mud and then the muffler suck in the water. major pain in the balls:bwgy:

MustangO4
06/03/2008, 11:37 PM
I've been up to the lights and got lucky, but my AC clutch has been noisy since. Skip the deep stuff unless you are going to do major work beforhand.

snowtrooper1966
06/03/2008, 11:56 PM
Hey!
I went to Oak Creek Ranch Scool for a year. There was a "creek" running through the property. Anywhere near there?
Best,

Triathlete
06/04/2008, 12:59 PM
Muddy water seems to be the killer of alternators. Clear water is less damaging. I have had water up to mid grill without problems.
You do not want water to get into your intake. That will cause hydrolock....not a good thing! If this does accur you need to shut down the engine IMIDIATELY or you ill do some serious damage to the engine. Get pulled out of the water then pull the plugs and turn over the engine to get the water out of the cylinders.

WiSDoM
06/04/2008, 04:55 PM
yeah I forgot about replacing my A/c unit and i did drown my tod computer but i dried it out and it seem to work okay.

taylorRichie
06/10/2008, 06:21 PM
What needs to be done (aside from the snorkel) to reliably do this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEq5gzYNHes&feature=user

It's amazing!! I'd love to be able to do that... and continue driving.

JoFotoz
06/10/2008, 09:26 PM
In a word....(or two/three)

What needs to be done (aside from the snorkel) to reliably do this?

...keep yer foot on the gas! :eek:

(Its a back pressure thang!)

jo

Greasemonkey
06/11/2008, 10:46 AM
Hi the VX in the video belongs to a guy from Northern Ireland its a JDM one - as far as i know he hasn't made any mods to the engine except the snorkel and from the video it wasn't really required - as the bow wave was pushing the water forwards it wouldn't have chance to enter the air intake which is inside the wheel arch covered by the inner plastic protector
cheers
Steve

taylorRichie
06/11/2008, 04:16 PM
I believe the video is from Patrick who now has the entire vehicle Line-x'd

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/vehicross_sinking_006.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/10845)

But he doesn't seem to post here :(

Greasemonkey
06/12/2008, 11:38 AM
Yup i have some nice pics he sent me but i can't figure out how to upload them to the site lol
cheers
Steve