PDA

View Full Version : Why cute?

nfpgasmask
05/30/2008, 12:44 PM
Today wasn't first time I have gotten "cute", and quite honestly, I would almost rather get an "ugly" than another "cute". I mean, what is it that compels someone to say, "Wow, that's really cute"? Rugged, bad@55, sick, ill, bitchin', any or all of those would be more fitting, imo, but cute???

Bart

kodiak
05/30/2008, 01:26 PM
I get the Cute or Pretty comment all the time usually from girls. I usually say “Cute!” with a squint.:mad: Then they rephrase there comment.

Y33TREKker
05/30/2008, 02:10 PM
Getting the "cute" response used to get a less-than satisfactory reaction from me too until I started to wonder why I considered it unsatisfactory. My reaction was saying more about me than the actual response was about my VX. I finally decided that having a girl say it's cute seemed pretty positive to me, so I believe it's just a matter of putting the response into context with who it's coming from. :coolgray:

MashyMan
05/30/2008, 02:22 PM
yeah, that just happened to me a couple hours ago. i was walking from the printer back to my cubicle...avoiding eye contact as always. A co-worker calls my name, tells me she saw my car, and proceeds to use the "c" word at least 3-4 times while describing it. It made me sick. Can't think of any positive way to spin it.
...and yes, she's the kind who comes in on her day off, with a couple of screaming babies in tow.

nfpgasmask
05/30/2008, 02:41 PM
...and yes, she's the kind who comes in on her day off, with a couple of screaming babies in tow.

THAT is funny! The "cute" comment doesn't really make me mad as much as it makes me confused. To me, cute could be a Cooper Mini, or a VW Bug, or a Smart Car, or something like that. But maybe that's it. Maybe its the fact that the VX is kind of small, compared to most SUVs, and as we know, small is often times synonymous with cute. Today it was a middle aged couple who asked me about my VX and called it cute (yes, both of them said cute, not just the woman). Funny thing, is they had no idea what it was, and when I said Isuzu, they were really surprised as they were driving a late 90s Rodeo.

Bart

cyronman
05/30/2008, 03:09 PM
Let me guess, Bart...

you didn't have the Spikes on it, did you?

cyronman
05/30/2008, 03:13 PM
I was just thinking today...
would it be cool/possible to paint the front end something like an old P-40 Warhawk?

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/image001.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=11371)

There wouldn't be any chance of "cute" with that on it!

nfpgasmask
05/30/2008, 03:17 PM
Let me guess, Bart...

you didn't have the Spikes on it, did you?

You know Cyro, you are correct! That may be it! I need to get my roof rack back up their asap!!!

:) Bart

Ldub
05/30/2008, 03:20 PM
Today wasn't first time I have gotten "cute", and quite honestly, I would almost rather get an "ugly" than another "cute". I mean, what is it that compels someone to say, "Wow, that's really cute"? Rugged, bad@55, sick, ill, bitchin', any or all of those would be more fitting, imo, but cute???

Bart

That's wierd...it's very seldom that I get "cute" any more...:naughty:

cyronman
05/30/2008, 03:25 PM
That's wierd...it's very seldom that I get "cute" any more...:naughty:

Slingdub,
you talkin' about you, or your VX?
:bwgy:

Ldub
05/30/2008, 03:29 PM
Slingdub,
you talkin' about you, or your VX?
:bwgy:

I reckon we're-a-one in the same...Mmmm-Hmmm...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/slingblade.jpg

nfpgasmask
05/30/2008, 03:31 PM
Oh man, I totally forgot about "sling-dub"! :laughing:

Bart

Ascinder
05/30/2008, 04:06 PM
I think "cute" might be just be more present in some peoples vocabularies than in others. Typically I think girls tend to use it more than guys, and often vocabulary spills over in relationships. People tend to fixate on certain words, and many often misuse them in catch-all ways If it makes you feel any better I've had plenty of people call it "sick" and one guy even yelled from his truck "Man, that thing is f---ing wicked!"

CrnCnn
05/30/2008, 04:12 PM
I got cute the other day and a few times before. From the ladies no less. Of course one yesterday when I was trying to get out of the parking lot to get some lunch, I only have a half hour lady.. yeah yeah its cute BYE

Edit; I forgot, the one that called it cute yesterday looking at the three of us on my computer at GBNP. With Barts spikes, gas cans and all.

etlsport
05/31/2008, 06:18 AM
yea i get cute quite a bit.. usually i just chalk it up to it being really small for an SUV.. asked a few people how they could possibly use cute to describe something with fangs.. the answer is usually because its so compact

themuddypaw
05/31/2008, 02:49 PM
Oh no! I am guilty of using "cute" to describe my VX! Course, I am a female so that should excuse me! :bwgy:

don moore
05/31/2008, 10:04 PM
I didnt get a cute comment ..but i did hear my 16year old sone say a cute comment to a guy at a stop light asking what it was :confused:...I heared my son say its a Vehicross...then the man said who makes it ..my sone said VX makes it ..the man looked puzzled:)....and then my son said "its french"..the man said HMMMM. and said thanks .....then my son turned to me a smiled ....hes a nut..:p.just like his dad.

VCross007
06/01/2008, 08:32 AM
I finally got the cute comment yesterday by someone in the neighborhood. He let me down, I was expecting maybe rugged but this is what he said. Hey you got a new car, it's cute, it's got horns on the front too. I felt like saying yea well i gotta go now. Ironic really that a few days after this post goes up I get the c word. Hell even my gf said it looked futuristic, she didnt even use cute

So-CalVX
06/01/2008, 12:48 PM
I got it four times yesterday in Montecito... It didn't bother me when the three hotties sitting in their 'vert Bimmer said it but when a 30sumthin guy said it I questioned him... He refraised but his wife/girlfriend stuck with it...
and I stayed overnight at a campground last night and got all kinds of questions and comments about it... Especially when I articulated the axles (pics to come soon) everyone was shocked to find it was 4WD... That makes up for the c word used multiple times the day before

Richard

tom4bren
06/02/2008, 05:23 AM
"its a Vehicross ... its french"

Don,

LMFAO - gotta get some SeaDoo & Bombardier decals for mine & really play some mind games.

Maybe even swap plates with the TLC (SEA DEUX).

CrnCnn
07/26/2008, 08:17 AM
So the other day I was coming back from lunch and the CFO and head of HR (Both ladies in there 40's) were coming back from their trip to the gym and walked behind the VX as I got out and they said to eachother, "How cute is that thing." Naturally they were not talking about me. They then asked if I like my car. DUH!!!

It is filthy with mud and its "CUTE"????

Makes me sick!!!

taylorRichie
07/26/2008, 08:55 AM
I used to get cute all the time (pre mods) Now I get... Whoa, Weird and What?!?

I also got told it looked like a "girls" car. That also isn't said anymore.

VX crazy
07/26/2008, 09:00 AM
I get tough looking.....thank goodness most people dont have anything else to compare it too like ya'lls really big lifted ones....;)

I think its funny when girls get up next to me and motion to roll down window to ask about it, than realize I am a female.....LOL

kodiak
07/26/2008, 11:30 AM
I let my mom enter my VX in the Northrop Grumman company car show at her work last week. It came in 4th place. 1st was a 55 Buick, 2nd was a 40 Ford woody and 3rd was a new custom Shelby mustang. 5th was a Maserati. There where about 25 cars there, the employees voted for there favorites. I couldn’t make it over there, I’m trying to get some pix to post. :confused:

Greasemonkey
07/26/2008, 12:00 PM
I just get - what planet is it from - i know its an old one but take into account we have less here than even you do - so to us its modern - most think its a Honda - i even got accused of being a jeep driver the other day - i just love the little chrome Isuzu badge - have never got round to fitting the VX badge - and i love the way she just sits there and burbles at traffic lights and junctions cause all the girls look - never met them but they wave anyway - love it love me love my car
cheers
Steve

don moore
07/26/2008, 05:25 PM
I got cute..from some girl....it would have been ok but she then said "its cute...looks like a cute GEO on a 4x4 thing"..I smiled and shut up and walked away...grrrrrr my son started to laugh...she was blonde:smilegray

Triathlete
07/26/2008, 06:24 PM
This whole post is so CUTE!!!!!!!:bwgy:

snowtrooper1966
07/26/2008, 09:53 PM
Hey, at least they think enough of it to say something, even if it is (GGRRRR), cute!
From my experience, that word has come out of the mouths of girls when describing the Dragon. They are just dumbfounded by the sheer sickness that is the VX and at a loss for the correct adjective!
I did have one male coworker tell me it was a chick's car. I told him he was a backwater country bumpkin, and to go eat his granola while driving his Subaru Outback (chickcar);)
Best,

tom4bren
07/28/2008, 08:33 AM
Thank you 'offset from hell'

I'll never be CUTE

tom4bren
07/28/2008, 09:51 AM
Ya should've told him: 'here let me show you my diff drop brackets" ... VROOM VROOM ... THUMP THUMP

kodiak
07/28/2008, 10:51 AM
Its not gay, its metrosexual. My friends use to say that about my Samsung 500 cell phone back in 2002. Now its design is the norm. Gay = in style. ;)

So-CalVX
07/28/2008, 11:13 AM
coming out from work the other night one of the girls saw my truck and as she was walking past she was staring at it. She looked at me as I opened the door and said (doing a great Paris Hilton immitation) "that's hot"

That's so much better than "cute"

kodiak
07/28/2008, 11:14 AM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/Lisa_Aukland_Pro_IFBB_Bodybuilder_Female_f_ezr.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=11798) Need I say more?:p

So-CalVX
07/28/2008, 11:39 AM
^---------------^
Ewwww!!

twistedsymphony
07/28/2008, 11:39 AM
Why should "cute" be an insult?

We typically refer to our cars as being our companion, being female, and being an object of affection.... why not drive a "cute" car?

WormGod
07/28/2008, 01:57 PM

We typically refer to our cars as being our companion, being female, and being an object of affection.... why not drive a "cute" car?

Exactly. Tigers are cute too.... right up till they sink their claws into your flesh. ;)

nfpgasmask
07/28/2008, 02:10 PM

This is why:

THIS IS CUTE TO ME:
http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/7/8/T/2007_mini_cooper.jpg

THIS IS VEHICROSS:
http://www.escocorp.com/markets/other_indust_apps/armor/images/military_armor.jpg

And if you want to compare it girls:

CUTE:
http://pro.corbis.com/images/42-17095111.jpg?size=572&uid=%7B8FFAB512-27E6-43AF-906D-34D12016CF77%7D

VEHICROSS:
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2635276/2/istockphoto_2635276_blond_girl_with_lollypop.jpg

:)

Bart

nfpgasmask
07/28/2008, 02:12 PM
A friend told me the VX is a gay car... like a gay man's car. I didn't know what to say except, "WHAT?!" I don't know what makes a car 'gay'... but I told him, "Mine has mud tires and smells like oil; that is not a gay car!" He said, "So... it's butch gay!" That came from a homosexual man who actually wears flannel shirts... :rolleyes:

So 'cute'...? Wait till someone calls your VX 'butch gay'... you'll appreciate 'cute' so much more! :smilewink

I dunno man, I think it suits you:

http://www.nofuture.com/lj/05-13-08/34.jpg

:laughing: Bart

kodiak
07/28/2008, 02:19 PM
LMFAO!!!!:laughing: I forgot about that, you’re the man Justin!

nfpgasmask
07/29/2008, 08:52 AM
HAHAHA! I would like to continue to forget that! I gotz mad dancing skillz yo!

Oh don't worry, I'll make sure you don't ever forget that.

tomdietrying
07/29/2008, 08:58 AM
Thanks Bart.........now I can't get that image out of my mind. lol
Peace.
Tom

nfpgasmask
07/29/2008, 09:35 AM
Thanks Bart.........now I can't get that image out of my mind. lol
Peace.
Tom

The shirt is the capper. I just love that.

VehiGAZ
07/30/2008, 06:34 AM
Your VX's get called CUTE?!?! Wow, that sucks. I'd sell it if someone called it that, I think. The stupid-loud FlowMaster muffler probably prevents those thoughts.

On the other hand, my Mini gets called "cute" almost exclusively...

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Mini_GAZ.jpg

"Cool" is a very distant second - maybe 15% of the time.

tom4bren
07/30/2008, 06:53 AM
I don't think I've ever gotten 'cute'.

Almost all of the comments I get are unprintable (local jargon dicatates all compliments contain at least 27% 'explicative deleted'

circmand
07/30/2008, 08:09 AM
I think people are just being nice. Cute is still what you say when you see an ugly baby. I think the mini looks like the bastard love child between Herbie the Love Bug and a Chevy Vega.

nfpgasmask
07/30/2008, 08:53 AM
Yeah, what's the deal? Why can't they make small, fuel efficient cars that look cool?

Bart

nfpgasmask
07/30/2008, 09:27 AM
OOH! They do, the Tesla! :cool:

Sorry, I forgot to add "affordable".

Cobrajet
08/01/2008, 07:01 PM
Sorry, I forgot to add "affordable".

:) BartHow about the Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice. I looked into a yellow Saturn Sky Redline, but two things stopped me -- the name "Saturn" and the name "Sky". :)

nfpgasmask
08/01/2008, 08:56 PM
How about the Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice. I looked into a yellow Saturn Sky Redline, but two things stopped me -- the name "Saturn" and the name "Sky". :)

Yeah, my wife likes em, and quite honestly, it is an impressive design for both Pontiac and Saturn. Kinda like a poor mans Lotus Elise. They look nice, but like you said, I ain't buying a Pontiac or a Saturn...no way, no day.

Bart

cyronman
08/04/2008, 05:15 PM
My new manager saw the VX for the first time today and said it looked like an armadillo! :rolleyes:...

...a very unique, kick- AZZ armadillo! :cool:

(he can't wait for a ride)

twistedsymphony
08/05/2008, 05:05 AM
actually the solstice/sky wasn't designed by GM it was designed by a shop in Austrailia (who AFAIK also designed the new GTO chassis, but not the style).

I actually considered buying a sky at one point. I sat in one at a tradeshow before they came out and loved it. when they did finally come out the dealerships neglected to order any with a stick shift... and they wanted upward of $30K for it... so that killed it for me...no way I'm paying that much for anything less than exactly what I want in the car.

brought my VX to work yesterday for the first time... and I got my first "cute" from a female co-worker :rolleyes:

I also got a lot of comments on my license plate... WARTHOG

WormGod
08/05/2008, 07:22 AM
How about the Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice. I looked into a yellow Saturn Sky Redline, but two things stopped me -- the name "Saturn" and the name "Sky". :)

I test drove a Redline last month. The things that turned me away from it:

- the price ($34k sticker)

- insanely poor factory tune (end up hunting under every rock in the state and spending a small fortune on a custom tune, only to find out the exhaust, turbo, and intercooler need a swap)

- ONLY convertible, no hard top option (not a convertible fan at all)

- lastly, my $25k WRX, with $4 worth of mods, outperforms in across the charts.... worth noting the argument I got into with the salesman over this, hahaha. when i told him the drive was fun, but still disappointing, he pointed to my WRX in the lot (not knowing it was mine) and said it would "send that car to the pits crying". I guess that's what car salesmen get paid to say, but he is wrong, heh.

What I did like was the numbers and the fun factor. Insanely fun little car to drive and I think it looks great. Poor man's exotic design. However, for the price of the car all else listed above, I would just assume get the '08 STI. All the bang for all the buck.

tom4bren
10/24/2008, 07:05 AM
Dang - Y'all jinxed me. I got 'cute' yesterday.:)

Chopper
10/24/2008, 07:46 AM
The Solstice hard top is coming out soon - much cooler! Still a Pontiac... but come on, we drive Isuzus! :p
Can't beat 'em at the track, the combination of smooth turbo power( with decent lowend grunt), well matched gearbox, and bigger rubber than the competition, made the Solistice a road course/autocross champ this last year. When the GXP gets a revamped suspension this year (Cobalt S/S based) it'll be a mini-monster. The S/S Cobalt is an amazing preformer for a front driver (front drive and a horribly cheap interior are it's only downsides...but where would you rather spend your engineering bucks) Wonderful drivetrain!! I'm considering a Solistice, and a step up to GT from spec racing. That hardtop will make it "legal" and the driveline/suspension are ensuring it'll be damn near unbeatable....and it won't cost alot more than the Mazda (about 50k car included) to get ready. BFI already bought the Mazda a few months back, so I've a slot open..now I just gotta get my "suspension" in order.

VXGirlie01
10/24/2008, 04:18 PM
lol! you guys crack me up! i have to admit, i used to use the "C" word ALL of the time, no matter what i was describing. i've learned to say "sweet" "hot" "mean" "bad as*"....etc. well, that is when i'm referring to anything that would be masculine! :)

i think it's just a girl thing. heck, we call army hummer's cute! :bgwp:

mrtew
12/10/2008, 06:48 PM
actually the solstice/sky wasn't designed by GM it was designed by a shop in Austrailia (who AFAIK also designed the new GTO chassis, but not the style).

That's weird.... I remember designing both of them at GM in Warren Michigan. Maybe you're thinking of the Pontiac G8. And the reason the VX is 'cute' is because the wheelbase is so short. That proportion will always come off as cute... see the MINI, and the SmartCar and my avatar above.

Gussie2000
12/10/2008, 07:07 PM
I was just thinking today...
would it be cool/possible to paint the front end something like an old P-40 Warhawk?

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/image001.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=11371)

There wouldn't be any chance of "cute" with that on it!

Jajajajajaja that was funny though.

Believe me,if you do paint that on the VX you wouldn't not get the CUTE any more.

DarkWing
12/10/2008, 08:11 PM
That has to be one of my altime favorite planes. I'd take my VX painted like that.

D.W.

kodiak
12/10/2008, 09:54 PM
Good job! I really like the Solstice Coupe, there’s just something special about that car.:thumbup:

That's weird.... I remember designing both of them at GM in Warren Michigan. Maybe you're thinking of the Pontiac G8. And the reason the VX is 'cute' is because the wheelbase is so short. That proportion will always come off as cute... see the MINI, and the SmartCar and my avatar above.

Riff Raff
12/11/2008, 05:00 AM
The Solstice hard top is coming out soon - much cooler! Still a Pontiac... but come on, we drive Isuzus! :p

Ah, yes! The Pontiac Solstice is way cooler now in the 2009 "hardtop" version. Plus; with the hardtop, you can now lock the doors without having to worry about someone cutting the softtop with a knife. For those that don't like the "Pontiac" name-- you can always debadge it like you already do to the VX. Got 'cha!

Ldub
12/11/2008, 06:46 AM
Ah, yes! The Pontiac Solstice is way cooler now in the 2009 "hardtop" version. Plus; with the hardtop, you can now lock the doors without having to worry about someone cutting the softtop with a knife. For those that don't like the "Pontiac" name-- you can always debadge it like you already do to the VX. Got 'cha!

LoL...put all the pontiac badges on the VX, & all the VX badges on the pontiac...I'm so confuuused.

I know, I know...BLASPHEMY...:smilewink

don moore
12/11/2008, 09:24 PM
Badger badger badger badger .....MUSHROOM MUSHROOM :smilewink

OMG...lol do you have a link to that vid .....:grinr:

I found it

http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/badgers/

isaac65
12/12/2008, 03:54 PM
Haha, I just got my VX on Monday and I already got a "super cute" today from a coworker. I guess women think anything different is cute. I'll just have to get used to it, lol.

mrtew
12/12/2008, 06:53 PM
OMG...lol do you have a link to that vid .....:grinr:

I found it

http://www.weebls-stuff.com/toons/badgers/

Allright I've watched that repeat 5 times and I don't get it. What the heck is that supposed to be? Is it funny or what? *clueless*

killinformula
12/17/2008, 09:59 PM
just to ressurect the thread with a short story:

i was showing a coworker of mine my car online and telling him how i was going to pick it up today... well he looks at it and in all seriousness says... (and he is a 40 + year old country guy) "Thats cute"... i looked at him like he was going to die and my other coworker told him he was gay haha, so he said "well i guess a better word is sexy".... i laughed my head off because i read this thread the the day before i bought my car

don moore
02/28/2009, 09:42 PM
grrrrr. I was at my local GIJOEs ans as i was walking back to my VX and a jeep with a blond girl that looked like a model pulled up and got out ..and saw it and said ..."OMG its so cute what is it?":eek: ..I told her and she said "Its so adorable".:eek: then she walked away..and kept looking back .........I wanted to make her a zombie.:p..he he..grrrrr