PDA

View Full Version : Does this look right?? One corner done on lift.

taylorRichie
05/29/2008, 08:21 PM
Hey guys,

Have one corner installed on my lift.

Passenger Rear.

Components installed:
Sway Bar Bushing
High Pro Bump Stop
Coil Spacer
OME 912
Bilstein Shock

Took a few minutes to figure out how everything went together down there, but over all not too bad. A few tight bolts that needed some penetrating oil to break but I got 'em

Just posting to make sure everything looks right to you guys.

Thanks!!!

Richie

LittleBeast
05/29/2008, 11:16 PM
I think the Coil Spacer would go on the top of the spring. Right guys?

Maybe I am way off on this one, but if you look at this:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/10758/ppuser/2623
Ascinder looks to have put his Spacer on the top. I just assumed your spacer even though it is a little different would go on top as well.

On a different subject, what if someone put their Springs in upside down? What might likely happen.....?

Tone
05/29/2008, 11:25 PM
Nope, spacer goes on the bottom as it fits that end of the spring.

LittleBeast
05/29/2008, 11:37 PM
I stand corrected, as far as "zip tying" the spring in place to avoid it shooting out upon massive flex, how do you go about doing that in this instance? I zip tied the bottom, how are you supposed to zip tie those dudes in there?

Ldub
05/30/2008, 05:40 AM
Nope, spacer goes on the bottom as it fits that end of the spring.

I'll have to respectfully disagree with you Tone, & please explain it to me real slow if you have info. I'm unaware of.
The bottom spring cup is tapered, with a stop where the end of the spring seats, to keep it from rotating. The top cup, is flat, with the stock rubber cushion.
It deosn't seem right to put the spacer on the bottom, when the bottom of the 912's is of the same coil shape, designed to engage the "stop" & the top is ground flat, to fit in the flat upper cup.

IMO, the spacers should go in the upper cup, replacing the stock cushion, which is designed to accept the flat end of the spring.

Just my opinion, waiting to hear what you're thoughts are...:_wrench:

And unless longer than stock shocks are installed, I haven't seen a set of 912's drop out. Not too sure that zip ties would be strong enough anyway.

Pic from Independent4X website:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/000coilspacer.jpg

CrnCnn
05/30/2008, 06:15 AM
I think the Coil Spacer would go on the top of the spring. Right guys?

Maybe I am way off on this one, but if you look at this:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/10758/ppuser/2623
Ascinder looks to have put his Spacer on the top. I just assumed your spacer even though it is a little different would go on top as well.

On a different subject, what if someone put their Springs in upside down? What might likely happen.....?

Ascinder has a diferent style spacer anyhow. His are adjustable. From the looks of it Richie's arent.

JHarris1385
05/30/2008, 06:36 AM
I would like to add I have only seen spacers on the top, as they replaced the worn cushions that are already there.

taylorRichie
05/30/2008, 07:34 AM
LDUB's the man...

Called independent 4X, and they confirmed with him.

Thanks everyone... I didn't feel good about it being on the bottom, but it also felt like it snapped into place better, which is why I posed the question.

Looks like I've got to drop the suspension again so I can flip it around... Blech...

Better now than on the trail when the coil launches out.

THANKS!!!

taylorRichie
05/30/2008, 08:12 AM
Verifying that I make the minimum steps possible to flip the coil.

1- Remove the bolt from the rear Link visible in my pic (proper name?)
2- Remove lower shock bolt.
3- Remove Sway Bar Link bolt.
4- Jack up driver's side tire a little to articulate.
5- Flip coil
6- Re-assemble

Is that the correct plan of attack?

nfpgasmask
05/30/2008, 08:52 AM
I think Jofotz dropped a spring recently, didn't he? I don't know what shocks he has though either. My springs are not tied up but I think they should probably be based on what Spazz told me.

I think Jo told me he has the Calmini lift kit installed, but I am sure he will chime in with his info.

Bart

JoFotoz
05/30/2008, 11:07 AM
Yea...I have a Calmini kit that came with the ORW when I purchased her.

This comes with shocks as well as springs.

Calmini seem "known" for the springs compressing over time.....
.........perhaps part of my problem.

I zip tied both rear coils with double ties through the hole in the bottom seating "cup" after the coil spat out....no problem since.

jo

Ldub
05/30/2008, 01:47 PM
Verifying that I make the minimum steps possible to flip the coil.

1- Remove the bolt from the rear Link visible in my pic (proper name?)
2- Remove lower shock bolt.
3- Remove Sway Bar Link bolt.
4- Jack up driver's side tire a little to articulate.
5- Flip coil
6- Re-assemble

Is that the correct plan of attack?

If it were me, I would...

Jack up the rear end high enough to provide full droop of the rear suspension.
Set the frame on jack-stands.
Remove the tires.
Remove the lower shock mounts.
(Being able to lift & lower the axle with a floor jack makes getting the lower shock mounts off much easier.)
Apply some downward pressure (Brittany, here's where you help:smilewink) on the top of the axle & the spring should come out with a little pull.
Reverse process to install.
I've never found it necessary to disassemble the sway bar or any of the other suspension components other than the lower shock mounts.:_wrench:

But I haven't tried to install a 2" spacer without all the disassembly you mentioned earlier.
However, I have done this install with a 1" spacer, & disco'd nothing more than the lower shock mounts.

Ldub
05/30/2008, 02:09 PM
I think Jofotz dropped a spring recently, didn't he? I don't know what shocks he has though either. My springs are not tied up but I think they should probably be based on what Spazz told me.

If you have stock shocks, jack your truck up on the rear frame member (L or R) until one rear tire comes off the ground.
Then lower it onto a jack-stand.
Now try to get the spring out with the shock still attached.
Let me know how it goes...:smilewink

JoFotoz
05/30/2008, 02:15 PM
Dub...ya missed two vital first steps...

If it were me, I would provide......

A gallon of Vodka

Park up at the Red Rock on a "quiet" Tuesday evening!

Then......get you and Jay to:-

Remove the tires.
(Being able to lift & lower the axle with a floor jack makes getting the lower shock mounts off much easier.)
Apply some downward pressure (Brittnay, here's where you help) on the top of the axle & the spring should come out with a little pull.

jo.....:p

LittleBeast
05/30/2008, 02:17 PM
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you Tone, & please explain it to me real slow if you have info. I'm unaware of.
The bottom spring cup is tapered, with a stop where the end of the spring seats, to keep it from rotating. The top cup, is flat, with the stock rubber cushion.
It deosn't seem right to put the spacer on the bottom, when the bottom of the 912's is of the same coil shape, designed to engage the "stop" & the top is ground flat, to fit in the flat upper cup.

IMO, the spacers should go in the upper cup, replacing the stock cushion, which is designed to accept the flat end of the spring.

And unless longer than stock shocks are installed, I haven't seen a set of 912's drop out. Not too sure that zip ties would be strong enough anyway.

If you look in my gallery that is exactly what my Springs look like. That is the only way I could get them to seat right on the mounts. I knew I wasn't crazy, that is why I asked the upside down question, because mine are in there just as LDub has referenced

Ldub
05/30/2008, 02:21 PM
Dub...ya missed two vital first steps...

If it were me, I would provide......

A gallon of Vodka

Park up at the Red Rock on a "quiet" Tuesday evening!

Then......get you and Jay to:-

Remove the tires.
Apply some downward pressure (Brittnay, here's where you help) on the top of the axle & the spring should come out with a little pull.

jo.....:p

I stand most humbly corrected...WHAT WAS I THINKING??? :rolleyesg

I must be getting old & feeble in the head...:naughty:

taylorRichie
05/30/2008, 02:29 PM
Done...

Took 45 minutes.

As for the sway bar links I had to undo them to install the new bushings so it wasn't a big deal.

Now onto the torsions...

Next week I'll flip the ball joints, and install tie rods (hoping they are here by then)

My Front sway bar bushings just shipped today too...

So next week I'll have EVERYTHING I ordered to do the fronts.

Very excited.

Ascinder
05/30/2008, 04:23 PM
I have often thought of using silicone or some industrial adhesive to bond the coils and spacers, but mine have never tried to come out sooo......

CrnCnn
05/30/2008, 04:29 PM
I have often thought of using silicone or some industrial adhesive to bond the coils and spacers, but mine have never tried to come out sooo......

Well we will have to try harder with yours in Moab next year....

Todd Adams
06/02/2008, 07:12 AM
Sorry guys I just don’t get it. Seems like everyone is overcomplicating this whole lift thing. I also don’t understand why all the parts. I lifted mine almost 8 years ago using some springs I bought from Valley Spring Works in California. At the time they were the only ones that had them. No cups or anything else they just replaced the stock coils.
I don’t understand why one would need to replace the torsion bars in the front. The OEM rate makes for a good ride no matter where you crank them and that does not change.

I did have a problem with the rear anti sway bar, it broke due to the added articulation. The bar never did get replaced but then I limit my high speed turns.

About the only thing I might do is the top A-arm joint flip. The only reason I would do this is to get rid of a few alignment shims that corrected the camber issue after the lift but then it has been OK for over 7 years and anytime you mess with the alignment there is a chance that something may come loose after. I have seen this happen twice but then I don’t rely on anyone but me to align my vehicles.

The other thing is shocks. Unless you need to replace them for some other reason there is no reason you need new ones for the lift. The stock shocks are some of the best there are and have more than enough stroke to accommodate a mild lift.

One thing that you have to keep an eye on after the lift is the CV boots. I have had to replace and re lube the CV’s and I feel the OEM boots are a bit thin leading to early failure with the added angle. I installed after market boots several years ago and they seem to be holding up better than the stock ones did.

I usually don’t make comments to these kind of threads (or even read them) since my days years ago running the 4x4experts web pages. Kind of got burnt out if you know what I mean but Larry asked me to take a look. I learned a long time ago that simple is better.
Todd

nfpgasmask
06/02/2008, 08:35 AM
Sorry guys I just don’t get it. Seems like everyone is overcomplicating this whole lift thing. I also don’t understand why all the parts.--SNIP-- Kind of got burnt out if you know what I mean but Larry asked me to take a look. I learned a long time ago that simple is better.
Todd

Agreed. I lifted with the 912s and the front torsion bar crank and so far so good. I've done NOTHING else but trim my cladding.

:) Bart

taylorRichie
06/02/2008, 08:15 PM
Seems like everyone is overcomplicating this whole lift thing. I also don’t understand why all the parts.

I'd like to know what is complicated about my lift?

I did the springs just like you, only changed my stock little coil pad with a urethane one. It gives an extra inch of lift as well. My stock pads were completely demolished.

A previous owner had replaced the stock shocks with some rancho adjustables that were nearly rusted through, they still ran fine but why not take care of them while I'm at it.

Sway bar bushings are cheap $10/pair plus greasable.

The bump stop I did because everyone else was doing it ;) And it's not like it was difficult 2 bolts and 5 minutes.

Start to finish I did my rear in under 2 hours.

The front took about 15 minutes to crank the torsions, but I plan to flip the ball joints, and replace the tie rods, and front shocks.

Torsion Bars are the only thing I think would be unnecessary to replace since they've got to make the ride HARSH. Other than that, why not add in heavy duty components (like tie rods) it's certainly not going to hurt anything.

I don't have near the experience as you Todd, so I've got to build everything tough. You could be 3" lower than me, and I'd still be the one scraping and rubbing. I need to give me an extra "piece of mind" while I learn how to drive ;)

I'm by no means an expert in the off road world, I'm a complete novice, everything I'm choosing to do has been based on feedback and research found on this site. If at anytime I'm doing something wrong or unnecessary PLEASE SOMEONE TELL ME!! :D I'd love to put the money elsewhere.

I love these place, of course I hate it too I've had my vehicle for 6 weeks and it's already cost me over $5,000 in extras... OUCH!!

Jolly Roger VX'er
12/19/2008, 03:28 AM

Thanks! This is just what I was looking for :bwgy: This site is Awesome!

taylorRichie
12/19/2008, 08:23 AM
Don't forget to replace the bumpstop that's also pictured in that image. I still need to extend mine by an inch or so.

nfpgasmask
12/19/2008, 08:47 AM
Don't forget to replace the bumpstop that's also pictured in that image. I still need to extend mine by an inch or so.

That is about the only thing I want to do post lift. When I flex out real hard my real tires will rub in the wheel well. Richie, let me know what you end up getting. I need to do the same.

Bart

taylorRichie
12/19/2008, 07:47 PM
I used the Energy Suspensions Bumpstop, (P/N in the lift wiki thread) I used it coupled with my stock one (about 1/4 of it) I Barely rub... If I didn't have the coil spacer I wouldn't hit. With your wheel offset and no coil spacer you should be fine with just the Tall Bumpstop.

crager34
01/26/2009, 07:23 AM
After I lifted mine and did the ball joint flip using the stock bolts, one failed shortly after. So.... maybe not a bad idea to go and get yourself 6 new bolts to replace the old ones. ;)

LittleBeast
01/26/2009, 04:21 PM
After I lifted mine and did the ball joint flip using the stock bolts, one failed shortly after. So.... maybe not a bad idea to go and get yourself 6 new bolts to replace the old ones. ;)

Interesting, do you think that one was just weak for some odd reason? Those are some pretty hefty bolts hope you are not having some weird pressure point thing going on.

Maddawg
12/19/2012, 08:40 AM
I used the Energy Suspensions Bumpstop, (P/N in the lift wiki thread) I used it coupled with my stock one (about 1/4 of it) I Barely rub... If I didn't have the coil spacer I wouldn't hit. With your wheel offset and no coil spacer you should be fine with just the Tall Bumpstop.

I realize this is an old qoute and Taylor may not be active here anymore. But didn't he mean "If I DID have the coil spaicer I wouldn't hit"??