PDA

View Full Version : the ultimate gas saver...

etlsport
05/29/2008, 12:09 PM
im sure its been mentioned a few times.. but i thought i would remind everyone.. the best way to save gas.. driving style!

I recently moved from about 5 minutes outside philadelphia to about 50 minutes outside philadelphia... i was averaging about 12-12.5mpg... since the move i averaged 14.5-15mpg... i stopped taking the highway (75-80mph) and started taking backroads (55-60mph) and i am up to about 16-16.5mpg now.. only other differences are that I added some lucas gas treatment 2-3 tanks ago and greased my chassis about 1k miles ago

JHarris1385
05/29/2008, 12:29 PM
Or Acetone.......I get about 17.1 or so.

LittleBeast
05/29/2008, 01:14 PM
I get 12 to 13 MPG now..... YEAH!!!!! :)

Techy-D
05/29/2008, 01:20 PM
ScanGaugeII - I got one last week!
I can see the difference right away, so It reminds me to lift my foot a little and I get better MPG's without changing much else (Although I'm not convinced/shure that I'm actually doing as good as it says sometimes). I just ran 900+ miles this 4 day weekend and got 18.3MPG average (the traditional method of calculating), but the scangauge said I got 20MPG.
I've normally run in the 15.7 range (shorter runs of course, so not apples to apples, but I am getting better milage on the shorter runs as well - If I behave myself).

etlsport
05/29/2008, 01:24 PM
yea the scangauge is an awesome tool

i highly recommend reading your manual to program your scangauge to get the most use out of it

things ive done with mine is program it to give me a gauge readout of how much gas is left in the tank.. (parameter in the trip computer for tank and gal. to empty) i have that displayed along with horsepower, water temp and voltage as my main gauges, by filling up completely each time and telling the scangauge this every time, my digital fuel gauge is always within .1 gallons of being accurate.. ive been able to run down to 1.0 gallons left with confidence because of it

tom4bren
05/29/2008, 01:26 PM
Eric,

I keep telling my foot that but it just don't listen. Even with the heavy foot, it still took me 2 hrs to get to work this morning. Good thing I commute in the Eclipse, the VX would take a full tank each way.

BTW - the rules that help us all on gas helps the hybrids even more - slow starts, lower speeds, gentle braking.

Techy-D
05/29/2008, 01:53 PM
Eric,

I keep telling my foot that but it just don't listen. Even with the heavy foot, it still took me 2 hrs to get to work this morning. Good thing I commute in the Eclipse, the VX would take a full tank each way.

BTW - the rules that help us all on gas helps the hybrids even more - slow starts, lower speeds, gentle braking.

You might have to charge your foot for "overage fees"! :)

Yeah, Etl, this ScanGauge is great and I've been reading. Won't stop till I get the most out of it!!! (Just time and money, and I've already spent the money)

tom4bren
05/29/2008, 02:07 PM
"overage fees"!

overage fees or over age fees???

Mark B
05/29/2008, 02:29 PM
What is the deal with Acetone?
How do you use it and where to buy?

JHarris1385
05/29/2008, 02:39 PM
Sorry but search it. I will try to update that thread or make a new one soon.....

I am lifted and am able to get 340 out of a tank......

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/345_gas.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/345_gas.JPG)

Techy-D
05/29/2008, 03:23 PM
"overage fees"!

overage fees or over age fees???

If the Shoe Fits,... :rolleyes:

taylorRichie
05/29/2008, 08:24 PM
Driving Style for sure!!

I bought a scan gauge IMMEDIATELY after buying the VX to monitor what did what exactly for MPGs

I average over 18, and I'm mostly city driving. I got 385 last tank and the Scangauge estimated I could go another 20 miles.

That's on stock wheels, with stock tires.

Things are going to change this tank of gas :(

But I only have a 3 mile commute to work, and generally ride my Vespa, or Bike.

Please do resurrect the acetone thread.

WormGod
05/30/2008, 07:13 AM
Big tires, no lift, S/C, not a heavy foot....

I averaged 10.9mpg my last few fill ups, hahaha.

circmand
05/30/2008, 07:36 AM
is not economically worth it. You may get a mile or two more per gallon but since it costs much more than gas you spend more money on acetone than you save in gas.

tom4bren
05/30/2008, 07:39 AM
"What is the deal with Acetone? How do you use it and where to buy?"

Theoretically it increases the 'energy content' of the fuel (basically the opposite of ethanol). May even get more than 0.1% increase in power - sorry, couldn't resist:)

I suppose that it would also tend to keep all of the fuel system clean as a whistle too.

Personally - Acetone anywhere near plastic & rubber components scares the crap out of me.

So-CalVX
05/30/2008, 10:10 AM
jharris has been conducting the acetone=better mileage in another thread that he updated recently I believe. And I like the looks of what he's come out with. And all the components in our late model vehicles are built to withstand the small dose of acetone he's putting in. He even tested them in full strength acetone and they fared well.
I hope he chimes in to explain all this better than I.

JHarris1385
05/30/2008, 10:29 AM
Ill get in on this ( I am currently running a placebo (reg gas no acetone) in my tank for a number of reasons)...... For whomever thinks acetone is expensive..... at roughly $0.15 an once and the mixture is about 4oz..I think I can splurge on that $0.60 to get another 40 mpt(ank).

circmand
05/30/2008, 02:42 PM
Said I heard it was actuaslly read it on another forum a scientific one that I didn't understand all the math I will see if I can find it again and post it here.

JHarris1385
05/30/2008, 02:47 PM
If you want you can take these figures and form an equation. Its not huge margins but its something plus I have only had about a month to play with the diagnostics.

$0.15 per ounce
2-3 ounces per 10 gallons
$4 gas

2mpg better at the cost of $0.60

circmand
05/30/2008, 03:47 PM
http://neubranderinc.com/blog/2007/01/03/acetone-in-gasoline-busted/

I could not find the other link I mentioned but the above link will take you to a site where 3 independent test sites have debunked this myth. In addition something I did not know is most acetone is made by the oil companies.

JHarris1385
05/30/2008, 09:18 PM
There is simply no myth to it.....I used to consider myself lucky when I hit the 300 mark (reference my old thread about just this) before a fill up....NOW i would consider it a failure if I did not get 340+......Just a thought. Read any web page you want but my lifted VX is living proof.

Not only do I get more miles out of my tank but I would go as far to say the accelerator feels more responsive. To explain it, it feels like when I press the gas a fuller more sensitive pedal.....There is also the added benefit of burning cleaner and cleaning out your system...

Offroad vx
05/31/2008, 05:53 PM
Please would somebody give me the basics on this acetone thing? How much do you use and do you just pour it in your tank when you fill up? Is there any certain type you use? I'm really interested because I have free acess to a 50 gallon drum of the stuff at work! It might almost make going to work with it, oh what am I thinking?

JHarris1385
05/31/2008, 08:08 PM
2oz per 10 gallons. Reset your battery before the first time. ALWAYS pour the acetone in first before a fill up and only put it in when your tank is low. This allows for optimal mixing. Personally I measure it at home and carry it in a glass jar to my fill ups.

blacksambo
06/03/2008, 08:22 PM
I've heard of lifting a VX but what about lifting the tire pressure? We've lifted ours to 39 lbs. from 29lbs. It may wear tire centers faster and ride a bit stffer but it also boosts mileage due to reduced roll resistance. Try this measure with Lucas and 20 mpg on 10% ethanol is possible with summer blend gas.

AZOutlaw
10/06/2008, 11:01 PM
I have tried to read as much as possible about this acetone idea. For anyone who has actually tried it...how long have you been using it? any noticeable wear on any seals, hoses, etc? That is my main concern. Do you use it constantly or add every few tanks or so? If it doesn't tear up the inside I am all for it, but to save a few bucks at the pump and risk major problems down the road isn't worth it...Any real feedback is appreciated

etlsport
10/07/2008, 02:26 PM
i still say the way you drive your vx makes the biggest difference...

over the weekend i made a 500 mile trip... i averaged 19.1mpg using regular octane.. no fuel additives or any of those gimmicks.. i have a green performance drop in filter and a PV2 muffler

this is up from 8-10 months ago i was averaging 12-15mpg.. the only things i have done differently is removing my roof rack and being easier on the gas/cruising

JHarris1385
10/07/2008, 02:47 PM
I just filled up 18.29 gallons with 323 on the tank....= 17.66. I have my 20'' chrome (noted becuase of the weight chrome holds) with 265/55 tires. I have now toned down the acetone to about every third tank. The acetone has no effects on seals. This was proven in my thread. It acts as many things, a cleaner and a liquid that burns at a more dense and slower volume.

Thmstec
10/11/2008, 10:26 PM
I got my acetone at Target in the cosmetics isle. :p

Acetone is nail polish remover :rolleyes:, just make sure it get the one that says 100% pure acetone. The one without any colored/scented additives.

Sorry for my sarcasm, but a quick google search might've saved you my flippancy.

JHarris1385
10/13/2008, 10:24 AM
Its more expensive in that asile. Go to the paint cleaners and thinners area.

etlsport
10/14/2008, 06:35 AM
just from being more consistent on the gas (ie not not accelerating hard after im up to speed) but i still rev up to 4000-4500 off the line pretty much every time.. still floor it when merging.. i just dont accelerate much once i am up to speed.. and try to coast to a stop whenever possible

JHarris1385
10/14/2008, 12:48 PM
Apples and oranges to a certain degree. I am lifted and running heavy chrome 20's right now with 265/55's

cyberspun
10/14/2008, 07:18 PM
Ive been using it or the last 2 fill ups (4.5 oz) each time. I went from 310 per tank to 350 per tank! I have been using the wallgreens brand.