PDA

View Full Version : Dragon smoke 02 sensor codes

snowtrooper1966
05/28/2008, 02:21 PM
Greetings!
Dragon has been blowing a bit of white smoke on cold startup, and threw codes:
P0137 (bank 1 sensor 2)
P0157 (bank 2 sensor 2)
Guy thought is was the 02 sensors going bad as they were not giving a very high reading, .678, .569, .696, .726 for the 4 senors. He indicated they usually have a higher reading than that. Also though it could be poor quality gas, which I shamefully have been using....
He cleared the system. I told him I was gonna check around here and see what you guys might have to say.

I am scheduled to drive to Irvine tomorrow (600 mile round trip) and was hoping I am not gonna slay the Dragon.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Best,

tom4bren
05/28/2008, 02:39 PM
The only suggestion I can make is to run some injector cleaner on the next fill up - replace the air filter & maybe clean the MAS. Quick, easy, cheap start to a 600 mile trip.

nfpgasmask
05/28/2008, 02:44 PM
That's a good idea, Tom. I was gonna say, pour a pint of Sea Foam in yer tank and run that through. You might also change your fuel filter ($12 part, easy to swap). Other than that, do all the little stuff you can, oil, oil filter, air filter, etc and see if that makes a difference. How many miles you got?

Is it still throwing codes? Are you getting a check engine light?

Bart

snowtrooper1966
05/28/2008, 02:48 PM
Thanks guys!
I am @ 61K
The check engine light just came on this am. I have only driven 6 miles since it was cleared.
What is the MAS?
Not too sure if I can get seafoam her in my little podunk town, but the oil change and air filter is a go for pre trip maintenance.
Best,

nfpgasmask
05/28/2008, 03:00 PM
I am 99% sure you can find SeaFoam at Walmart, Kragen and Autozone, if you have one of those near by. And SeaFoam is just one product, I'm sure you can find some fuel cleaner at any auto parts shop.

The MAF is the Mass Air Flow Sensor. I don't know where it is or what it looks like, but someone on here should. What maintenance has been done to your VX since you bought it? Any records come with it?

Bart

rowhard
05/28/2008, 03:27 PM
You know, you just got to love digital camera's and computers and stuff. Anyway, the mass air sensor is the thing next to the air filter. If you have the stock air filter box, it will be the first thing with a electrical connector. Think someone said spray it with some electrical cleaner spray or brake parts cleaner spray or something after removing it then spray with air from canned air or compressor. But wait for some of the pro's to insert their two cents before you do. You will have a good answer before sundown. Well, it's only 3:30 here on the left coast right now.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_00114.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=11360)

snowtrooper1966
05/28/2008, 03:27 PM
I just called the NAPPA and he is out of seafoam. Is that a fuel system treatment?
Just put it in and drive?
I have to fill up about 40 miles away, and they do have some down there.
I have done no maintenance since the Dragon since has been mine.
I am about to chance out the rotors, add SS break lines as well as an aftermarket high flow intake.

The previous owner had codes P0171 and P 0174, lean 02 condition. The delaership replaced the intake manifold gaskets under warranty in 2005. Had injection system service done at same time.

He replaced the ABS sensor & the ECM in December.
The air filter was replaced with a K&N in January.

That's the extent of any major repairs. Regular service at correct intervals, excluding the 6K:(

Best,

So-CalVX
05/28/2008, 03:30 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Mass Air Flow Sensor is the square piece inbetween the airbox and the intake. It has a screen in it and don't ask me how to clean it. I used a product when I was at Honda.

Richard

Mark B
05/28/2008, 03:42 PM
Do a search for seafoam and MAF. You will find a lot of helpful articles.

nfpgasmask
05/28/2008, 04:00 PM
Yeah, Seafoam just goes right into your gas tank. I usually fill up, and then pour it in. I have done the SeaFoam gas tank treatment about 3 times. I think changing the fuel filter is a good idea also, since it is so cheap and easy. You might also do you Fuel Pressure Regulator. Not as easy to do but cheap (about $50 from Merlin).

You need to get all your stuff together and then we should all meet up again and nerd out and work on our trucks sometime soon. I know Ascinder needs to do his tranny and Clint needs to do his CVs and I want to do my transfer case fluid and front and rear diffs.

Bart

snowtrooper1966
05/28/2008, 04:15 PM
I will do the seafoam treatment when I fill up for the trip, as well as the fuel filter and oil filter and oil change.
As far as the other stuff, it would be great for us all to nerd out and work on our Vx's together. Something you want to consider b4 coming out camping, or when you are here?
Obviously will not get to the fuel pressure reg or the MAF sensor b4 I leave tomorrow, but will get those in time for our nerd session. I am sure there is nothing we could not handle betwixt the four of us...
Best,

Ldub
05/29/2008, 10:12 AM
I just called the NAPPA and he is out of seafoam. Is that a fuel system treatment?
Just put it in and drive?
I have to fill up about 40 miles away, and they do have some down there.
I have done no maintenance since the Dragon since has been mine.
I am about to chance out the rotors, add SS break lines as well as an aftermarket high flow intake.

The previous owner had codes P0171 and P 0174, lean 02 condition. The delaership replaced the intake manifold gaskets under warranty in 2005. Had injection system service done at same time.

He replaced the ABS sensor & the ECM in December.
The air filter was replaced with a K&N in January.

That's the extent of any major repairs. Regular service at correct intervals, excluding the 6K:(

Best,

Your MAF sensor should only be cleaned with MAF cleaner.(should be available at NAPA, CRC is my fav)
It would be my guess that the MAF is the culprit in all of this.
I base that on the fact that you mentioned changing to a K&N filter.
Excess filter oil fouls the sensors in the MAF, causing false info to be sent to the ECU, which then throws a CEL.:_wrench:

etlsport
05/29/2008, 10:14 AM
Your MAF sensor should only be cleaned with MAF cleaner.(should be available at NAPA, CRC is my fav)
It would be my guess that the MAF is the culprit in all of this.
I base that on the fact that you mentioned changing to a K&N filter.
Excess filter oil fouls the sensors in the MAF, causing false info to be sent to the ECU, which then throws a CEL.:_wrench:

and the white smoke could be excess oil buildup in the intake burning out.. like when you drip seafoam into your intake, you blow white smoke on startup for a few days

snowtrooper1966
05/29/2008, 01:13 PM
Greetings!
While I am loathe to admit this, I think I sussed the problem. When I got the Dragon, I read on the horrors of excess oil consumption, so that was a worry. I checked the oil before my 200 mile drive home with the Dragon, and it seemed low, so I threw in 2 qts of Royal Purple.
In the following few months, I never could get an accurate reading on the dipstick, she always seemed to be running low and burning oil.
I figured I had a burner, so I would add a quart every three weeks on fillup.
I live in a small town and drive short distances, so thought that contributed (along with long winter warm ups) to the oil burn.
When I canged to oil today, I expected to see little to perhaps a quart drip out.
To my and my mechs astonishment, approximately 10 qts drained.
D'Oh!!!
Like I said, I hate to admit this very easily avioded error, but share it that it may help another new owner.
I would strongly suggest that upon delivery of new used VX, anyone drain the oil and change the filter right off the bat, so you get a good idea right away what your oil counsuption actually is.....
My mech thought that the extreme excess of oil in the crankcase was most likely the culprit of:
A) Dragon smoke on startup
B) Sluggish performance
C) Bad gas milage
Saod I was lucky i did not blow out the dipstick and wind up with an oil bath for the engine compartment, but did not think I damaged anything...
Well, I'm off to Irvine to see Maiden and meet up with a few VX'rs on Saturday AM.
Thanks for the help, guys!
Best,

Ldub
05/29/2008, 04:46 PM
I'm not trying to make you feel dumb snowtrooper, but this is at least the second instance where a VX owner hasn't been able to get an accurate reading on their dipstick...y'all pay attention, this is important to your VX.

:_wrench: To get a proper reading on your dipstick you must be parked on level ground. (like near many gas pumps)
After turning off the engine, go around & open the gas cap & begin fueling.
Then take a leisurely stroll to the drivers door, open it & pull the hood release lever.
Take it easy, slow down, take a breath... you want to give the oil plenty of time to drain back into the oil pan so you can get an accurate reading.
Here's the tricky part...don't just pull out the dipstick & look at it.
You have to wipe it dry before you re-insert it into the tube to get a measurement.
Say it with me..."I can only get an accurate measurement of my oil level by using a DRY (wiped clean) dipstick, on level ground" :_wrench:

Another option is to check it before you take off for work,(if it's not been running for a few hours)
then you can omit the "wiping your stick clean" portion of the procedure.:smilewink

So endeth the sermon of the dipeth sticketh...:rolleyesg

taylorRichie
05/29/2008, 09:31 PM
Very sound advice LDUB...

I'll follow your regiment. :D

One suggestion for you Snow, is not replacing your filter with a High Flow Oiled intake. Or if you do, only run it in the summer.

Every one of my cars I put a high flow in would run like garbage on cold days.

And unless you want to keep up with cleaning your MAF, you'll end up tripping codes down the road.

Filters, unless you have forced induction, are very over rated (IMO) however they do sound, and look cool ;)

I'm sure others will chime in with their experiences, as they pertain to the VX.

Just my 2 lincolns

snowtrooper1966
05/29/2008, 11:38 PM
Again, thanks!
Belive me, Ldub, I did all that and more when i would check the dipstic. I do remeber thye other owner you mention, and that was always in the back of my head.
After the 300 mile 5 hour drive, I gotta say, that performance and milage are back up (of course you idoit, you were driving around with twice the amount of oil in your cranckcase) where they should be. Got my first 300+ tank 'O gas!
I do feel like an idiot, but felt it important to share so this may be avoided by others....
Thanks for not hitting me too hard!
Oh, and Bart, I did use the seafoam.
Any other input on the aftermarket filter VS the standard box?
Best,

etlsport
05/29/2008, 11:55 PM
glad you got it figured out!

as for filters.. im partial to the aftermarket filter IN the stock box (green performance drop in... or k&n drop in)