PDA

View Full Version : So I've been thinking of Maxing all the way...

nfpgasmask
05/28/2008, 10:05 AM
...that is, Mad Maxing my VX on the inside too. Last weekend I started cleaning all the red dirt out of the inside of my VX. I pulled my bed liner out, and removed all the center console trim and air blasted and dusted under there, cleaned all the trim pieces one at a time and put everything back together. While I was doing this, I started thinking about removing all of the carpet, head liner and rear area trim. I was thinking it would be cool to pull all that useless trim and carpet out, and then like bed-line the interior metal areas that are left exposed.

I really don't know if this is a good idea though. I have no real idea what is behind my rear area trim, aside from my speakers and the seatbelts I don't use anymore. I think maybe tonight I will pull things apart and take a look.

Now, the technical question is, what potential problems would I have if I remove all the trim? Also, would the interior noise increase if I do this? The rear area trim looks like it will come off easily once I get the X-mas tree fasteners off. Underneath the carpet there appears to be some sound deadening stuff, but I am not really sure what that is. My hope would be to have more space in the rear area to mount a shovel and maybe some other tools of the trade (shotgun, gas cans, water jugs, etc).

Also, the front seats would need to come out to remove all the front area carpet, and then I was thinking of spraying it down with bed-liner or just some good spray paint, but I don't want a really bad odor to linger.

OK, I'm rambling now. Any thoughts?

Bart

kodiak
05/28/2008, 10:21 AM
You mean like this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzO9t7ibHgQ

nfpgasmask
05/28/2008, 10:24 AM
You mean like this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzO9t7ibHgQ

Damnit! YouTube is blocked at work. I'll have to check this out at home tonight.

Bart

tom4bren
05/28/2008, 11:40 AM
Bart,

No doubt it can be done but I'm not sure you'd be happy with the results. There will be structural members behind the trim that will make your interior look like the inside of a cargo aircraft when you're done.

My guess is that you'll end up with a significant increase in road sound inside & that your sound system will suffer as well (mental image - Rolling Stones playing a concert inside a steel quanset (sp?) hut).

Just my .02

Tom

kodiak
05/28/2008, 11:44 AM
Bart,

No doubt it can be done but I'm not sure you'd be happy with the results. There will be structural members behind the trim that will make your interior look like the inside of a cargo aircraft when you're done.

I think thats what Bart is going for.:rolleyes:

nfpgasmask
05/28/2008, 11:46 AM
Those are exactly the things I am worried about.

Does anyone have photos of a VX taken apart on the inside? I seem to remember seeing some somewhere on here.

Also, just a curiosity, does anyone elses VX spew dirt up and into the VX from the from the rear wheel well on the drivers side? For instance, if I open up my storage area where the bottle jack is stored, that whole area is typically covered in road dirt, especially after wheeling. The dirt penetrates all the way into my VX, and gets everything hella dirty inside. Is there something I could plug? Am I the only one?

Bart

tom4bren
05/28/2008, 12:15 PM
Yup, yer the only one.

JK

I've not noticed anything on mine but I'll look.

Check etlsport's gallery. I seem to remember him putting up some pix when he was replacing speakers.

BTW - consensus was that the rear trim is a PITA to remove & replace.

CrnCnn
05/28/2008, 12:18 PM
If nothing else you can try it out and if you dont like it you could it back together and it may actually be more quiet with all that liner on there. I did that to a honda I had, mostly since I had a system in it, to keep rattling down.

nfpgasmask
05/28/2008, 01:49 PM
If nothing else you can try it out and if you dont like it you could it back together and it may actually be more quiet with all that liner on there. I did that to a honda I had, mostly since I had a system in it, to keep rattling down.

Yeah, I am thinking about taking it apart just to see what's under there. I just don't want to destroy the trim in the process. I need to get some of those plastic trim tools the audio shops use to pry stuff.

Bart

JHarris1385
05/28/2008, 02:06 PM
Awesome idea.....

I have been thinking about doing something similar to the head liner or if all fails just painting it black with red stripes. You would have to build a box over the computer under the passenger seat or relocate it.

nfpgasmask
05/28/2008, 02:48 PM
Awesome idea.....

I have been thinking about doing something similar to the head liner or if all fails just painting it black with red stripes. You would have to build a box over the computer under the passenger seat or relocate it.

Isn't the computer under something already?

Bart

CrnCnn
05/28/2008, 03:00 PM
Yeah, I am thinking about taking it apart just to see what's under there. I just don't want to destroy the trim in the process. I need to get some of those plastic trim tools the audio shops use to pry stuff.

Bart

Just be carefull sometimes those are still too thick and have to be ground down to not leave huge marks.

JHarris1385
05/28/2008, 03:16 PM
Yeah under carpet.....Find the fold under your passenger seat of the carpet and you should be able to find it easily.

etlsport
05/28/2008, 05:49 PM
bart i have been thinking about this too... someone had photos of their sound deadening install ( i think it was kenny maybe) but the interior looked nice with the sound deadening fabric stretched over the deadening material... my reason i havent considered it more seriously is the wiring.. there is a decent amount of wiring that runs to the tail lights behind the panels.. and in my case to the speakers, auxiliary outlet, trailer lights, 4th and 5th brake lights, cb antenna.. led lighting... etc.. and either those wires would have to be exposed or covered in the process.. and u would not be able to get to them after that.. but i do HATE how much room we lose to those panels

etlsport
05/28/2008, 05:52 PM
oh yea here are a few pics.. but i think there are better ones out there

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/100_0503.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=7931)

kodiak
05/28/2008, 06:02 PM
That's not MadMax that’s Space station. Looks like sumthing out of the movie Sunshine.

WormGod
05/29/2008, 07:32 AM
I recall previous to Dynamatting, I gutted my VX down and drove it for about 2 weeks before actually getting around to even STARTING laying the mat. Driving was painful! Road noise was excruciating and I even stopped driving highway and took back roads to work until I finished it and trimmed it back together.

Now that I think about it, that was with mt street Yokos on too.... with the Nittos on now, I can only imagine what sort of upset stomach it would give me, hehe (of course, with about 80lbs of Dynamatting in there now, it would be a different story).

nfpgasmask
05/29/2008, 08:33 AM
So it seems the problems out weigh the benefits in this situation. Thanks for the input guys. The vision in my head of what I want and the reality of the situation are probably much different, as usual.

Bart

JHarris1385
05/29/2008, 08:36 AM
I have always thought about placing two front seats in place of back bench.

kodiak
05/29/2008, 08:44 AM
Just get yourself a lag brace and a 2 barrel shotgun and call it good.:p

Ldub
05/29/2008, 09:54 AM
So it seems the problems out weigh the benefits in this situation. Thanks for the input guys. The vision in my head of what I want and the reality of the situation are probably much different, as usual.

Bart

Interior temp would be another drawback.:sighwgray

nfpgasmask
05/29/2008, 01:23 PM
Interior temp would be another drawback.:sighwgray

Hmmm, yeah, didn't even think of that, especially since my VX is ebony...it gets pretty oveny as it is. :grinr:

Bart

taylorRichie
05/29/2008, 09:07 PM
Like Zeus said... If you tear it down, Rhino/Line X it.

If you had the entire interior rhino'd I don't think the Resonation, vibration and road noise would be bad.

And you could hose down your interior after a messy trip.

Only problem is expense :(

It'd be very cool though :D

etlsport
05/30/2008, 12:01 AM
Like Zeus said... If you tear it down, Rhino/Line X it.

If you had the entire interior rhino'd I don't think the Resonation, vibration and road noise would be bad.

And you could hose down your interior after a messy trip.

Only problem is expense :(

It'd be very cool though :D

yea id thought this many times... just cant figure out to do with all the wires back there