PDA

View Full Version : Dead fan / blower?

Yefim
05/26/2008, 07:51 AM
Hi all,

My fan / blower stopped working completely. When I turn on heat - nothing happens. When I turn on AC, I can hear the compressor kick in but again, no air. Changing switch from high to low does nothing. I took the blower motor out (behind the glove box, 4 screws) and it wasn't spinning easily so I thought maybe the motor went. But I hooked it up directly to the battery and it is spinning just fine so it must be something else. Anyone has any advice? I don't have the Electrical Troubleshooting Manual unfortunately so I am not sure where to start... lots of wires there. I checked the fuses (well, one blower fuse I found) and looks good.

:confused:

rowhard
05/26/2008, 08:25 AM
Well, the manual is avaliable here for download. It is in a pdf format. Starts on page 97. Did you check the fuse?

Yefim
05/26/2008, 09:05 AM
Thank! I did not realise that the manual is available here. Getting it now.

Yea, the fuse is the first thing I checked.

One thing I noticed - I had a passenger side leak for a while... and now when I have my whole dash taken appart, I started tracking it down. I put a hose on the passenger side and immediately noticed that the water is sipping in and right into the blower. So it has been getting in there for a while. I suspect that even though it seems to be spinning... something is still wrong there.

I will see if I can figure something out using the manual.

Thanks again.

rowhard
05/26/2008, 09:06 AM
for sure water and electricity don't like each other much

Ldub
05/26/2008, 09:39 AM
Thank! I did not realise that the manual is available here. Getting it now.

Yea, the fuse is the first thing I checked.

One thing I noticed - I had a passenger side leak for a while... and now when I have my whole dash taken appart, I started tracking it down. I put a hose on the passenger side and immediately noticed that the water is sipping in and right into the blower. So it has been getting in there for a while. I suspect that even though it seems to be spinning... something is still wrong there.

I will see if I can figure something out using the manual.

Thanks again.

Use a circuit tester where you unplugged the fan, to see if power is getting to that point.

Triathlete
05/26/2008, 11:19 AM
Take the blower apart and clean it. That may solve your problem. If not there is a relay on the side of the blower assembly. Several have had that go out. The assembly is on the passenger side under the dash. You need to remove the glove box door (3 screws IIRC) and then the blower assemlbly has 3 or 4 screws.

Yefim
05/26/2008, 11:40 AM
Blower resistor died. I bypassed it and the fan came alive. Autozone put an order for a new one - $65, what a ripp-off! Should be here on Wednesday.

Btw, I opened up that resistor (4 clips) and what happened is there is a "solder" type fuse there - basically when it gets too hot, the stuff mets and two contacts spring away and break connection. The casing states 'Do not repair" (no kidding, since they charge 65 bucks for that piece of crap) but I am wondering if I can just solder it back on :-) Well, I placed an order anyways, so maybe as a temporary use...

UPDATE: So just to check, I soldered the resistor back - I just heated it up with an gun and held the contacts together. Put it back, worked like a charm... initially... then I noticed that the blower is slowing down and finally stopped again. So I was thinking, the resistor got hot again and de-fused. Opened it up, nope, still holding up. So I am thinking the blower motor actually was dying (that's why it probably was getting hot in the first place) which makes sense since I had water getting in there apparently. So I guess what I really need to get is a new blower motor, not the resistor. I canceled my order, since the same would happen with a new resistor - glad I checked.

Triathlete By blower relay, do you mean the resistor that sits on the left from the blower motor? Or is there something else?

rowhard
05/26/2008, 01:44 PM
any chance of oiling the bearing area? Also, if you know the ampere of that fuse, you can buy replacements at an good electrical shop. I sometimes melt mine in my coffee roaster and do this rather then send it back to the manufacturer

Yefim
05/26/2008, 02:41 PM
It doesn't look like I can actually get into the motor, I srayed it a bit with a lubricant and I removed a screw and spraied some inside as well. Didn't help much though - it is working but makes annoying noise and definitely feels like it is struggling. Seems like water did some permanent damage there so I am pretty sure I will continue to burn fuses until I replace the motor. I read here that the new blower motor is $160... anyone knows if it is specific to VX or will the part from Rodeo/Trooper (year?) fit? Not sure where to get a used one.

rowhard
05/26/2008, 03:02 PM
I don't know for sure, but bet it uses the same one as the trooper which would make sense and save you money if you don't mind salvage yard parts. You made it sound like it is pretty easy to remove.

Yefim
05/26/2008, 04:50 PM
Found this one on eBay. Looks identical... but can't be sure.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160228377369

Anyone knows if it will fit? Stated that it fits 1996-2002 Troopers

Seller sent me the part number: The part # 8-9723 1635-0 which matches the 2000 - 2001 blower motor assembly. My 1999 shows part number 8-9723 1642-0. Argg... anyone knows if there are any differences between '99 and 2000-2001 blower assemblies? I am worried why the numbers are different.

Triathlete
05/26/2008, 10:32 PM
Yep, the resistor. Try cleaning the cage in the blower. It may be dirty, causing resistance and therefore overloading the motor.

Yefim
05/27/2008, 09:14 AM
Just confirmed that the one I found on eBay should fit nicely. $50 shipped for a brand new one is much better then $160.

If anyone is looking for one, from my understanding, any blower motor that fits one of the following will fit 1999 (and 200x) VX:

1998 - 1999 Amigo, Rodeo, Trooper, Honda Passport.

Should be here shortly I hope since it is getting hot!

Yefim
05/29/2008, 04:12 PM
Part came in, brand new OEM, perfect fit - so after 10 minutes it took to replace, I am up and running like new! Only $50 total cost :)

tysamigo
06/27/2013, 06:51 AM
Just confirmed that the one I found on eBay should fit nicely. $50 shipped for a brand new one is much better then $160.

If anyone is looking for one, from my understanding, any blower motor that fits one of the following will fit 1999 (and 200x) VX:

1998 - 1999 Amigo, Rodeo, Trooper, Honda Passport.

Should be here shortly I hope since it is getting hot!

I just wanted to check... is this true?

I've been wanting to replace my blower motor with a more powerful one. There's nothing wrong with mine, I just want more of a kick to it. If one of these above are more powerful (and assuming it can be done in the first place), then I'd like to do that since my entire dash is taken apart at the moment.

Any advice? Can a mower powerful motor be used as a replacement? Will this somehow affect the resistors, wiring, etc?

Cobrajet
06/27/2013, 11:40 AM
Can a mower powerful motor be used as a replacement?

It might be a tight fit, but I bet you would get better air circulation. :)

http://i.imgur.com/uRF7Ul.jpg

tysamigo
06/27/2013, 12:14 PM
woow :laughing:

tysamigo
10/22/2013, 03:28 PM
OK so my dash is apart and I can get to the blower motor. Does anyone know if I can exchange it or "upgrade" it so that the air circulation is better? Or are we stuck with just replacing it with what Yefim did?