PDA

View Full Version : Speed Racer

So-CalVX
05/25/2008, 02:48 PM
ok. I saw the threads for Indiana Jones and Ironman. I saw Ironman and agreed with everyone that it was the best comic-bigscreen conversion so far. I liked it alot. And I plan on seeing Indy sometime soon. Don't have high expectations but I'll go see it.

On to my topic. Didn't anyone go see Speed Racer. I did and I have to say it was quite good. All the elements held together and it too was a good conversion to the big screen. I just want to put this movie up in the threads seeing as I think it qualifies as a movie we can all enjoy.

Richard

Ldub
05/26/2008, 09:58 AM
You can edit anything in your own posts...go advanced.:smilewink

As for speed racer, I was never a fan of the cartoon, so not likely going to see the movie.

WormGod
05/27/2008, 08:29 AM
Wachowski Brothers (or shall we say, brother and SISTER now)....

http://beconfused.com/images/2007/08/Wachowskis.jpg

FAIL!

I lost respect for them after they destroyed a great movie like the The Matrix, by making the absolutely miserable sequels and killing the trilogy. They apparently took lessons from Lucas. Speed Racer will probably have to wait till TNT or FX show it, heh.

kodiak
05/27/2008, 05:23 PM
I just saw It, I was very surprised it’s an excellent adaptation. They really focused on the characters and the story. I was expecting that it would have a lot to apologies for but it doesn’t. 2 thumps up. The kids and adults will love it.

So-CalVX
05/27/2008, 05:37 PM
see... Kodiak agrees.

Must be some thing only Proton VX owners named Richard get... LOL

mdwyer
05/27/2008, 05:38 PM
Wachowski Brothers (or shall we say, brother and SISTER now)....FAIL!

I lost respect for them after they destroyed a great movie like the The Matrix, by making the absolutely miserable sequels and killing the trilogy. They apparently took lessons from Lucas. Speed Racer will probably have to wait till TNT or FX show it, heh.

I can agree with you about destorying the Matrix with the sequels, but you've got to respect the first Matrix movie. On its own, it rocked, I think.

I also think that V for Vendetta was really good. It is really difficult to bring a comic book or cartoon to live action. I think the Wachowskis have managed to do it well. I think Romero's Troublemaker studios did pretty good with Sin City, too. Otherwise, the stage is littered with bad comic book adaptations.

I fear for what Spielberg will do to Ghost in the Shell, though... :(

So-CalVX
05/27/2008, 05:42 PM
I have a feeling G.I.T.S. will be a big flop. The animated series is pretty much perfect. There's no way I expect anything good to come of a live action Ghost.

On this topic... Has anyone seen the live action DeathNote? I missed it due to work

taylorRichie
05/28/2008, 07:45 AM
Comic Book Adaptations:
#1 Sin City (1,2,3) <- Assuming
#2 Batman Begins
#3 The Dark Night <- Just assuming
#4 Ironman

Then the rest pretty much didn't do anything for me :)

I want to see Speed Racer, I loved V for Vendetta, and the first matrix, respected the talent showcase of the other Matrices (ha)

I can't decide if speed racer on drugs would put you in a Coma, or at least send you into a Seizure...

Guess we'll find out. :eek::eek: :bgwo::bgwp:

kodiak
05/28/2008, 08:10 AM
Comic Book Adaptations:
#2 Batman Begins
#3 The Dark Night <- Just assuming
#4 Ironman

Then the rest pretty much didn't do anything for me :)

You forgot to mention the first and one of the best comic adaptations ever FLASH!
I try to watch it at least ones a year. :p

nfpgasmask
05/28/2008, 10:49 AM
I'm gonna stand with the God of Worms on this one. The first Matrix was great, but the sequels destroyed it for me, just like the 3 latest additions to the Star Wars cluster-f.

The Matrix 2 & 3:
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s16/r3v3r3nd_album/fail1.jpg

And I thought V was deplorable. Ever see 1984? Guess what, its been done, and done better. V was an unoriginal waste of time. And maybe try giving your props department something other that PAINTBALL MASKS to make your horde of brainwashed soldiers look supposedly menacing. WEAK SAUCE!

V for Vendetta:
http://forum.alsacreations.com/upload/2043-fail-camera.jpg

From what I have seen, Speed Racer does not look like something that would interest me. And Richard, your quote sums up why I will probably not like it.

The kids and adults will love it.

But, I will refrain from further judgement until I actually see it. Hopefully it will surprise me.

Bart

PS - I love good movie talk.

nfpgasmask
05/28/2008, 10:51 AM
I fear for what Spielberg will do to Ghost in the Shell, though... :(

WAIT, WHAT??????

OH JESUS SAY IT AIN'T SO!

I'm going to IMDB RIGHT NOW!

Bart

nfpgasmask
05/28/2008, 11:02 AM
On this topic... Has anyone seen the live action DeathNote? I missed it due to work

Yes. Its awesome. I actually like it better than the anime so far, which is pretty crazy since the live action versions of anime are typically sub-par. I picked up Deathnote 1 & 2 bootlegs in San Francisco's Japan Town. They have a killer DVD shop in there.

And I just got back from IMDB and I see nothing to the affect of Spielberg and GITS on there??? Where did this disturbing information come from please?

EDIT:

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/04/14/spielberg-adapting-ghost-in-the-shell-into-live-action-3d/

OK, so it looks like Spielberg's Dreamworks is just producing it. I didn't read anything about his directing or anything. Why does every good movie have to get remade, reworked and utterly beaten into pulp in the US? I'm so glad Blade Runner never got sequeled or remade....

Bart

kodiak
05/28/2008, 11:06 AM
I liked the first Matrix as well but I had a big problem with the hole using people for power thing. V for Vendetta was a disappointment. The last 2 Matrix movies sucked!

Ironman restored my faith in the ability of Hollywood to make good comic movies again.:rolleyes:

nfpgasmask
05/28/2008, 11:10 AM
I liked the first Matrix as well but I had a big problem with the hole using people for power thing. V for Vendetta was a disappointment. The last 2 Matrix movies sucked!

Ironman restored my faith in the ability of Hollywood to make good comic movies again.:rolleyes:

Man, I guess I really need to get out and see Iron Man. Everyone I know, and I mean EVERYONE says it rocked.

Bart

4X4 UFO
05/28/2008, 12:04 PM
Hey, Bart..........Iron Man rocks!

So-CalVX
05/28/2008, 12:13 PM
Ironman rocked hard. And remember to stay after the credits. I dunno if I smell a sequel or a spin off...

And about the GITS... I'm just going off what MDWYER said...
is the live action DN a series too or just a long movie?
I know it was a 2 night event at the theater down the street

cyronman
05/28/2008, 04:40 PM
I'm so glad Blade Runner never got sequeled or remade....

Bart

You know, I rented that last night and I'm watching it tonight :cool:

for the first time ever :o

nfpgasmask
05/28/2008, 04:52 PM
You know, I rented that last night and I'm watching it tonight :cool:

for the first time ever :o

Wow, I can't wait to hear back from you on that. Are you watching the Final Cut?

Bart

snowtrooper1966
05/28/2008, 06:31 PM
Hey, Bart!
Iron man was great, so you will hate it;)

I have Blade Runner on HD DVD, five different versions. You can check it out when you are here for camping....

I may be forced to see Speed Racer. I like to go to a IMAX whenever I get into the civilized world, and that is whats playing this weekend.
Best,

kodiak
05/28/2008, 06:37 PM
Hey, Bart!
I may be forced to see Speed Racer. I like to go to a IMAX whenever I get into the civilized world, and that is whats playing this weekend.
Best,

Speed Racer in IMAX, take a barf bag. I’m not kidding! ;puke2;

mdwyer
05/28/2008, 07:41 PM
Comic Book Adaptations:

If you ever get the chance, watch the movie while you've got the comic books in your hand. There are seven of them, and the movie seems to span at least the first five. The movie is IDENTICAL to the comic book, even in things like camera angles and poses. Even if you didn't like the movie, it is difficult not to at least be impressed by the artistry.

Anyway, my top four Comic Book -> Movie Adaptations (AKA, the four DVDs I own of which I also own the books):
#1 Sin City. Again, love it or hate it, this is easily the most faithful adaptation ever.
#2 Ghost in the Shell. This might be cheating, since I believe the best manga begat the worst movie, yet spawned the best TV series which then begat the worst manga.
#3 Appleseed. Specifically, the 2004 version. The new John Woo version is a little...much. The ancient 1988 version hurts me.
#4 V for Vendetta. The movie rounded off a lot of the sharp edges found in the books, but I've got to credit it anyway.

The X-men movies and Batman Begins both get some credit. The first Spiderman, too. But since I never really got into the books, I can't really speak to them, aside from saying that I generally enjoyed the movies. I've got a copy of Ultimate Ironman, which has a story apparently totally unrelated to that within the movie, so I can't really judge that, although I *really* enjoyed that movie.

I also have to admit that I own Tank Girl on DVD, because I'm a huge fan of B-movies, and Elektra, because I think Jennifer Garner looks hot in red. There. Confession over.

kodiak
05/28/2008, 07:53 PM
If you ever get the chance, watch the movie while you've got the comic books in your hand. There are seven of them, and the movie seems to span at least the first five. The movie is IDENTICAL to the comic book, even in things like camera angles and poses. Even if you didn't like the movie, it is difficult not to at least be impressed by the artistry.

Anyway, my top four Comic Book -> Movie Adaptations (AKA, the four DVDs I own of which I also own the books):
#1 Sin City. Again, love it or hate it, this is easily the most faithful adaptation ever.
#2 Ghost in the Shell. This might be cheating, since I believe the best manga begat the worst movie, yet spawned the best TV series which then begat the worst manga.
#3 Appleseed. Specifically, the 2004 version. The new John Woo version is a little...much. The ancient 1988 version hurts me.
#4 V for Vendetta. The movie rounded off a lot of the sharp edges found in the books, but I've got to credit it anyway.

What about the movie 300 or 600 nipples?:p It looked vary close to the comic.

nfpgasmask
05/28/2008, 10:45 PM
I have Blade Runner on HD DVD, five different versions. You can check it out when you are here for camping....

Yeah, I have the 5 disc HD brief case box set and the 5 disc Blu-Ray version. I've watched all the versions except for the work print so far. Good stuff.

Bart

snowtrooper1966
05/29/2008, 08:56 AM
Frank Miller's storytelling skills and graphic presentation definately lend themselves to moviemaking, if the person at the helm gives a rats ***. I think Sin City and 300 both have to be at the top of any comic adaptation list. Obvious respect to Miller, and justifiably so.
Best,

kodiak
05/29/2008, 09:18 AM
Frank Miller's storytelling skills and graphic presentation definately lend themselves to moviemaking, if the person at the helm gives a rats ***. I think Sin City and 300 both have to be at the top of any comic adaptation list. Obvious respect to Miller, and justifiably so.
Best,

I’m watching 300 right now, I always have a movie going in the background while I’m working. :rolleyes:

nfpgasmask
05/29/2008, 09:18 AM
Best,

James, I think we finally agree on something! I thought Sin City was pretty good, some parts better than others, but 300 was awesome. Frank Miller is one of my favorite comic writers for sure!

Bart