PDA

View Full Version : Purchasing advice and Common Problems

twistedsymphony
05/22/2008, 10:23 AM
I'm new here and I don't own a VX... yet...

My Story:
I was the happy owner of a 1999 Toyota Tacoma but recently Toyota has done a buy back program, offering to buy back Tacomas in my year range that have excessive rust or rot in the frame. I took mine in to get checked and they wouldn't let me drive it home :(

While I have to now find myself a new 4x4 Toyota was kind enough to give me a healthy check in exchange for my Tacoma.

While looking through some local listings I came across a VX for sale not to far away, and at a good price too... I had completely forgotten about these cool little SUVs. I had considered buying one new back in 1999 but it was out of my price range enough that I had opted for a Jeep Cherokee instead.

Interesting enough my decision now is looking like it will be between a Jeep Cherokee and a VX.

My Questions:
Anyway, I'm not one to make a decision without doing my research. looking at a lot of the VX info it seems that there are a number of problems with the engine's burning oil...

If I'm going to buy one I want to make sure it's in tip top Shape. I own a couple of Nissan 240SXs that I use in the Summer, I tune them and occasionally race so my 4x4 needs to be a dependable vehicle that I drive in the winter months and in the summer when my Nissans are getting worked on.

Are there any common problems with these vehicles that I should know about when looking to buy one? Any common rust areas? any common mechanical problems? Any common areas of the interior that break or wear out? Are there any tell-tale signs that the engine is burning oil?

Also I wouldn't be adverse to buying a cheap VX with a blown engine and having it rebuilt, heck if I could find one cheap enough I'd even consider putting in a stick shift... are there any good places to look for dead VXs or do they typically just get crushed when the engine goes?

I really like these vehicles and I'm a fan of rare vehicles with an enthusiast community behind them, I just want to make sure that when I buy one I'm buying one in good shape or I'm at least aware of all the potential problems when I put the money down on it.

Any advice would be appreciated :bwgr:

Joe Isuzu
05/22/2008, 11:13 AM
good luck with the search, as I've said before, it really surprises me how rare these vehicles are but how easy they are to find and purchase, shoot, how many other @4400 production vehicle can you find so easy and purchase
Regardless, no common rust areas of which I'm familiar, as far as oil goes just remember to check it every few weeks or so, I maybe need to add a quart about every 3-4 months, so I don't consider that a major failing and I have
90k, be wary of too many trim parts needing replacement as they're getting increasingly difficult to find, expect delays on parts, the VX is noisy and not great on gas (especially for a small SUV)
Otherwise, as long as maintenance has been done it should be dependable, kinda like any other car out there

twistedsymphony
05/22/2008, 11:28 AM
It is rather surprising how many are available considering the production numbers.

Though, at the same time there are 3 near me for sale one is a reasonably priced private sale and the other 2 are shamefully priced dealer sales (nearly double what the private party is asking).

Typically I expand my search quite a bit to look for cars since I live in the woods but surprisingly the 3 near me are also the only 3 I've been able to find within 200 miles of me... so I guess I should consider myself lucky.

I'm looking at replacing one of my 240s with a relatively rare 240sx convertible (only ~8000 made between the US and Japan) those seem to be much harder to find though.

Gas prices don't bother me much, I have a relatively short commute to work and this vehicle will mainly only be used in the winter.

Good to know to look for cracks in the plastic, I've heard that the one in the hood is the most common to get cracked.

Any common mechanical problems beyond the oil burning?

kodiak
05/22/2008, 11:34 AM
I’d have to disagree on the easy to find part. At any one time there is on average about 1 to 5 VXs for sale on eBay. When you compare to other limited production vehicles like the NSX. I just checked there is 22 on Ebay 26 Prowlers 70 new model thunderbirds 11 Deloriens and so on. It’s just easer to find the ones that are for sale in the information age.:rolleyes:

etlsport
05/22/2008, 12:13 PM
i think it would be considerably more difficult to find a VX if this forum didnt exist, until i found the forum i had only seen 2 for sale and now i can think of 5-6 off the top of my head

the only place i have really heard of cracking plastic is on the hood insert

tell tale signs of engine burning would be low oil on the dip stick, a lot of oil around the oil cap (i get a thin film of oil thats almost not noticable until you wipe your finger across it.. also check for oil in the engine bay below the oil cap... i spill all the time ;Db;

my vx has been very reliable over the 2 years ive had it and ask anyone whos ever been out with my in my vx.. i drive it hard! my big issues ive had with it (that werent caused by me)
ABS went out, still is out, i found a replacement pump used for 100 bucks (dealer is asking 2700 or so) doesnt bother me, i could fix it.. but just dont care to, stops great without them
stalled on me once on the highway.. no clue why, pulled over, started it again and it was perfect, replaced fuel filter ($10 & 30 min) and fuel pressure regulator (50 & 45 min) soon after that.. never happened again
my ac controls were in and out for awhile, but that seems to be gone after messing with the heater relay a few times
and rust around the top of the windshield.. this one SUCKS dont know what caused it but its gonna cost about 1000 to fix.. saving up still..

So-CalVX
05/22/2008, 12:23 PM
Noone mentions the sticky window problem? That was the first thing I heard about when I got in here and started asking questions.

kodiak
05/22/2008, 12:34 PM
I’d have to disagree on the easy to find part. At any one time there is on average about 1 to 5 VXs for sale on eBay. When you compare to other limited production vehicles like the NSX. I just checked there is 22 on Ebay 26 Prowlers 70 new model thunderbirds 11 Deloriens and so on. It’s just easer to find the ones that are for sale in the information age.:rolleyes:

O! and there is always at least one 45 year old Amphicar on Ebay.:p
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphicar

snowtrooper1966
05/22/2008, 01:17 PM
Greetings, twistedsymphony!
Easy to find? I had to buy one from New Jersey and ship it to California to get the color (Dragon Green Mica, rarest color) and low milage I was looking for....
If you are not too picky about either of those issues, you will find it easier to locate one. I think it's just coincidence that there are three near you. try that same search in six months (unless the dealers are asking wayyyy too much) and I bet you come up with nada.
Must be fate giving you a decent selection.
One other common issue is CD changer eating disks. I have no problem with mine that I use every day, but many here have opted to switch out.
What colors are avalable near you?
Best of luck!
James

LittleBeast
05/22/2008, 02:35 PM
The only major thing I could think of is no dipstick for the tranny fluid. It is kinda a pain especially since if the level is off by much it can cause major problems, just keep an eye on the level and learn how to correctly check it after running through the gears, etc. Windows have problems binding, but you can fix by purchasing better metal window clasps and widening the track on the front and spraying with silicon lube. Center leather console is known for cracking, windshields are becoming rarer, and CV Boots will tear around 100k or sooner if you lift or off road much, but you can fix that yourself. Whatever the cost and whatever the problem this unique vehicle makes it worth the fix no matter what the costs everytime, period.

nfpgasmask
05/22/2008, 03:01 PM
From my experience, having my VX now for 2 years, 2nd owner, and having put 45,000 miles on it since I bought it, I have no regrets.

These vehicles are truly one-of-a-kind, and if you are even slightly interested, I think your first step should be to go take one on a test drive. I know I don't speak for myself alone here, in that from the moment I got behind the wheel and felt that awesome "buggy style" ride, I was hooked. No other vehicle has felt this good to drive since.

That said, if you love the ride, and decide to get one, I would not at all hesitate to travel, possibly several hundred miles or more, to find the best, lowest mileage, STOCK VX you can, in a color you want. They are out there, and if you love cars as much as it sounds like you do, a $300 plane ticket to pick up that perfect VX and drive it home is not out of the question.

The other thing you should keep in mind, is that you came to the right place to get the info and help you want. Take a nation-wide look on AutoTrader.com, and if there is a sweet VX on there that interests you, I would be willing to bet one of us on here that lives close by would be willing to go take a look at it, test it out, and look for issues.

So good luck. And oh yeah, be warned, if you get a VX, your 240s won't be the only thing getting tuned. There are several mods and upgrades that make the VehiCROSS that much better, and get rid of some of the little annoyances that a stock VX will come with (i.e. crappy CD changer, peeling chrome rims, pointless back seats, stock height, etc).

:) Bart

PS - the only issue I have had with my VX is that it burns oil, and I am working on that little problem still.

snowtrooper1966
05/22/2008, 03:53 PM
There are some nice low milage VX's on autotrader right now:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?num_records=25&search_lang=en&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&search_type=both&distance=0&address=93546&marketZipError=false&style_flag=1&make=ISU&model=VEHICROSS&make2=&start_year=1981&end_year=2009&min_price=&max_price=&transmission=&engine=&drive=&doors=&fuel=&max_mileage=&color=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywords_display=&sort_type=priceDESC&body_code=0&certified=&advanced=&default_sort=priceDESC&awsp=false&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&systime=

Including this 24K mile Ebony in PA, just around the corner from you:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=244034749&dealer_id=62553223&car_year=2001&model=VEHICROSS&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=ISU&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=93546&advanced=&end_year=2009&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=2080

Now you just need to decide (green) what color (green) you want...
Best,
James

nfpgasmask
05/22/2008, 03:55 PM
Wow, that Ebony is almost tempting for me! I would love to buy it and store it until my current VX is too old.

Bart

PS - That one is sweet, but I wouldn't pay more than 15k for it. They'll come down. :)

kodiak
05/22/2008, 04:39 PM

10 Lamborghini Diablos.
8 McLaren SLRs.

Do ya see what I’m saying?:rolleyes:

Joe Isuzu
05/22/2008, 06:27 PM
good grief Kodiak, wth is your problem??
all I was saying was that for such a limited production vehicle, it was surprisingly easy to locate ones for sale. That's in my experience. Example, I also have been interested in owning cars I used to have, such as Dodge Shelby Charger, Alfa GTV-6 and I used to be looking for TR-8's until I found out I was too big for them. Now with the possible exception of the TR8, the other two I'm fairly certain had higher production numbers. Granted they're older but I had been looking since the early 90's off an on and in my experience, I would typically find 1-2 on Autotrader at one time. When I began looking for VX's, I discovered there were always at least 6 on cars.com and autotrader. Shoot, there were 1-2 on carmax when I was looking. Currently right now, there are 67 for sale on autotrader. How can that not be remarkable for such a low production vehicle? Why are you trying to go out of your way to argue with that?
Back on topic, yes, I forgot to mention the window binding issue. Basically, if you keep them lubed and maybe just avoid using them a lot, you won't have any issues. If you forget and use them all the time, I think the motor gets burned out. Just a quirky design flaw. Good luck on your search.

kodiak
05/22/2008, 07:12 PM
good grief Kodiak, wth is your problem??
all I was saying was that for such a limited production vehicle, it was surprisingly easy to locate ones for sale. That's in my experience. Example, I also have been interested in owning cars I used to have, such as Dodge Shelby Charger, Alfa GTV-6 and I used to be looking for TR-8's until I found out I was too big for them. Now with the possible exception of the TR8, the other two I'm fairly certain had higher production numbers. Granted they're older but I had been looking since the early 90's off an on and in my experience, I would typically find 1-2 on Autotrader at one time. When I began looking for VX's, I discovered there were always at least 6 on cars.com and autotrader. Shoot, there were 1-2 on carmax when I was looking. Currently right now, there are 67 for sale on autotrader. How can that not be remarkable for such a low production vehicle? Why are you trying to go out of your way to argue with that?
Back on topic, yes, I forgot to mention the window binding issue. Basically, if you keep them lubed and maybe just avoid using them a lot, you won't have any issues. If you forget and use them all the time, I think the motor gets burned out. Just a quirky design flaw. Good luck on your search.

There's 2 Dodge Shelby Chargers On eBay and 3 TR8s.
Alfa GTV-6 that is a rare car.

I’m just saying it’s a lot easer to find rare items these days. All of my numbers came from eBay. No work today this is the kind of stuff I like to do when I’m bored in the office. :flower:

So-CalVX
05/22/2008, 10:26 PM
if toyota guy doesnt care about the shape of the VX, didn't renee m come up on a silver for 5k at a dealer nearby? I didnt search for it cuz its been in my head since I saw it. And I don't know how to link share.

circmand
05/23/2008, 07:43 AM
I bought my Proton new in 2002 with 13 miles and only paid 24000

WormGod
05/23/2008, 07:53 AM
Just buy one and be the talk of the town. Its worth it for that alone, heh.

Good luck on your decision.

don moore
05/23/2008, 08:04 AM
How about a YUGO.......lol:eek:

kodiak
05/23/2008, 08:21 AM
How about a YUGO.......lol:eek:

What??? You mean like this one?:p
http://www.superhonda.com/photopost/data/512/yugo_monster.jpg

kodiak
05/23/2008, 10:14 AM
I don’t know if you want to buy VX? Around the first time you punch a guy for calling your VX a Suzuki or you start going out of your way to put notes on other VX you see in a parking lot, you will slowly start to loss interest in your other vehicles. So think hard about what you are doing, your other rides need love too.:confused:

Zorak
05/23/2008, 01:09 PM
(Dragon Green Mica, rarest color) James

Uh, NO:

230 Dragon Green Mica color built 2001-2001
210 Foxfire Red Mica color built 2000-2001

snowtrooper1966
05/23/2008, 04:26 PM
Uhh, I apparently stand corrected?
I was going off a production sheet I saw months ago that put the Dragon Mica at +_248?
Dont recall the Foxfire Mica being lower...
Best,

Zorak
05/23/2008, 05:16 PM
Uhh, I apparently stand corrected?
I was going off a production sheet I saw months ago that put the Dragon Mica at +_248?
Dont recall the Foxfire Mica being lower...
Best,

The quoted figures were taken from johnnyapollo's VX site; the same figures appear in the wikipedia article on the VX.

Actually, the rarest color, at least in the N American market, is pearl white, with a grand total of 1. But, as some wiser person has already pointed out here, "It's just paint!":grino:

snowtrooper1966
05/23/2008, 06:31 PM
That would be the place I saw it.
Guess I have selective vision.
Best,

twistedsymphony
07/14/2008, 09:34 AM
it's been a few months... but I've got one :)

out of the 3 that were originally in my area 2 were out of my budget and 1 dissappeared before I could look at it.

for a while I gave up looking for a VX and put a CL add up just for a "reliable 4x4" with a few of the characteristics I was looking for and a few suggestions of vehicles I would be happy to consider (VX being one of them).

I didn't get much responses to the add, mostly lifted chevys that weren't anything like what I wanted, and a few nice but way overpriced Subarus.

then last week I got an email response to my add from a guy named Pete just an hour away from where I live who had a VX (he's apparently a member here too)... after asking a few questions, getting a picture and running a carfax I went out to take it for a test Drive this Sunday... I LOVED IT... this thing was just awesome! I had driven a few other cars and while some of them were a good value none of them really clicked... the VX sold be as soon as I sat in it and I knew I had to have it as soon as I went down the road.

Here's a picture:
http://solid-orange.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/vx-7.jpg

it has a few minor problems, AC doesn't work, tires will probably need replacing in the next 5K, the brakes are warn and it's got a hole in the muffler.

HOWEVER, it's got 114K miles on it, and in the last 10K it got a nearly new transmission, TOD system and complete valve job. I snagged it for $5800 and as part of the purchase agreement the seller is fixing the brakes and exhaust for me :cool:

I put a deposit on it and I should be picking it up in a couple of weeks once the seller has fixed those things.

I'm excited :bgwp:

that low mileage one that snowtrooper1966 posted looks awesome and I would have been happy to go out to PA to buy it... but it's way out of my price range. At the price I paid for this one I'll have enough left over to fix it up a bit and maybe make a few modifications like the trunk popper and maybe a 3" OME lift and 33" tires :D

Joe Isuzu
07/14/2008, 10:56 AM
congrats on the new purchase and welcome to the family!

nfpgasmask
07/14/2008, 10:58 AM
Indeed! Congrats! Now you will just find yourself babying the hell outta your new VX.

Bart

twistedsymphony
07/14/2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks, this seems like a great community.

I baby all of my cars though. I've got a 1995 Nissan 240sx (picture (http://solid-orange.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/twisteds240sxse.jpg)) as well that is my summer car. The VX will be my winter car with SOME use in the summer on some trails, camping, and during the times that the Nissan is getting worked on :bgwp:

I'm looking into getting a soda-blaster setup soon and I'd like to start taking apart the under side of the VX piece by piece blasting and repainting all of the suspension and drive-train components... maybe even taking a wirebrush to the frame and having it rhino lined or at very least rubber coated to clean it up and keep it lasting a long time.

I like to use my cars and drive them hard but I also loath rust and keep em clean.

There is also a convertible 240sx (another rare car only 8K made world wide) without an engine that I'm thinking of picking up to restore, so that might take my project time this summer... which is fine by me since it will give me more quality time with the VX :D even though I'm buying it for winter I'm sure It will get plenty of summer use too :D