PDA

View Full Version : 99 VX Supercharger wanted

jetz86
05/21/2008, 07:49 PM
Hey all VXians. I love my 99VX Auto 3.1 Ltr

I'm thinking of buying a SA Alpine Supercharger kit. I've asked about it locally (Japan) although most mechanics aren't able to help. Does anyone have one installed? Does it make a significant difference in regards to off the mark acceleration and reasonable fuel efficiancy? Is there a cheaper option(maker) with same power increase? The alpine kits retail at around $3400.

I have limited experience with car mechanics but I've read it's possible to install the supercharger at home? Is it not too difficult?

Really looking forward to more responsive power and speed.
Any advice greatfully appreciated

Thanks heaps from Jetz in Japan

Petos
05/21/2008, 08:03 PM
Hey, the superchargers are no longer in production and in big deficit.

I was lucky to get one new from one of the VX owners, but had to pay a significantly over market price.. It was shipped to Russia, where it will be replicated and several sets will be produced for sale locally..
best of luck though!

jetz86
05/21/2008, 08:38 PM
Petos - thanks for that info - it's a shame they're not producing the superchagers anymore!! Looks like I'll have to try and find another supercharger that is compatible with the VX(is that possible)? I saw your VX massive bro! Have a Vodka for me.

VehiGAZ
05/22/2008, 05:25 AM
Hey Jetz,

The S/C doesn't do much of anything for off-the-line performance - it adds power at the high end of engine speed. As for fuel consumption, our standard joke is that it gets much worse, because it's so much fun to stomp on the gas all the time! In regular driving, though, I think I lost 1-2 mpg after installing it, but I definitely let the revs run higher now.

You can improve off-the-line performance with a freer-flowing exhaust. I put in 2.5" piping from the catalytic convertors and a high-flow Flowmaster muffler after I did the supercharger, and it helped signficantly. The downside is that you get LOUD in the process!

Good luck!

Petos
05/26/2008, 07:57 PM
Petos - thanks for that info - it's a shame they're not producing the superchagers anymore!! Looks like I'll have to try and find another supercharger that is compatible with the VX(is that possible)? I saw your VX massive bro! Have a Vodka for me.

Thanx. No charger is completely compatible, but you can use one of them as donor, and pour the missing parts using a VX charger as a sample (as I understand, getting the manifold is the key). I will post here on the success/failure of Russian charger replication project..

taylorRichie
05/27/2008, 06:25 AM
A Brand new Alpine Supercharger sold on ebay last week for $2500 :eek: Makes me mad :mad:

I think it sold with one bid at the minimum with no reserve, I found the auction AFTER it ended. It was posted on Planet Isuzu. :(

The seller claimed it was the Last new one available, not sure if that's accurate, but I'm sure it's one of very few.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-2006-Isuzu-3-2-3-5-V-6-Supercharger-kit_W0QQitemZ280227738550QQihZ018QQcategoryZ33741Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Petos
05/27/2008, 09:38 AM
Oh, no! you shouldn't have posted this.. will make a lot of people here bitter (myself included) :( :mad:
this one should have ended up with someone on this forum... the seller lost at least $1k from me by not adding "vehicross" to the item description!!! :mad:

Pepino
05/27/2008, 12:27 PM
what about this website? http://www.alamomotorsports.com/alpine/alpine_isuzu.html
has anyone tried buying from them?
it doesnt say anywhere that its not available, so the must have it

taylorRichie
05/27/2008, 05:54 PM
Call 'em up...

And If I had found that auction before it ended I wouldn't have posted it ;)

I just would have bought it.

Kenny
05/27/2008, 07:51 PM
what about this website? http://www.alamomotorsports.com/alpine/alpine_isuzu.html
has anyone tried buying from them?
it doesnt say anywhere that its not available, so the must have it

I've emailed em twice - no response.
You should call them.

Petos
05/27/2008, 08:08 PM
I've emailed em twice - no response.
You should call them.

I called them a long time ago. NOT available.. asked them to remove the page from their site.. they are obviously too lazy to do that...

Gussie2000
07/22/2008, 07:08 PM
Oh guys !

Going Supercharged was roaming in my mind for a few days,but after few inputs i've changed my mind :(

The reason is the city i live.....the GREAT APPLE NYC,here speed isn't a opcion.

Every day i see those guys with their SRT-8 grand cherokee & charger trying to have some "fun" running through traffic lights at red.usually cops pull them over once the SRT-8 emblem is sighted on the spot
It's deffinetly a waste of money having one of those rocket-on-wheels here in the city

WormGod
07/23/2008, 07:41 AM
Oh guys !

Going Supercharged was roaming in my mind for a few days,but after few inputs i've changed my mind :(

The reason is the city i live.....the GREAT APPLE NYC,here speed isn't a opcion.

Every day i see those guys with their SRT-8 grand cherokee & charger trying to have some "fun" running through traffic lights at red.usually cops pull them over once the SRT-8 emblem is sighted on the spot
It's deffinetly a waste of money having one of those rocket-on-wheels here in the city

I never really considered the S/C to be a "speed" addition, but it is a great perk for a power additive. I live in a fairly rural area with many hills. Pre-S/C, some of those hills made my VX pant like a dog. Post-S/C, she crawls up with more ease. But, the added speed boost at higher RPMs on highway use is a treat, when I am not sitting in DC beltway traffic, heh.

I imagine the rock hopper folks that do MOAB with the S/C could tell ya just how much more helpful it is. Probably more beneficial for that sort of use, IMHO.

Jolly Roger VX'er
07/24/2008, 09:36 AM
I never really considered the S/C to be a "speed" addition, but it is a great perk for a power additive. I live in a fairly rural area with many hills. Pre-S/C, some of those hills made my VX pant like a dog. Post-S/C, she crawls up with more ease. But, the added speed boost at higher RPMs on highway use is a treat, when I am not sitting in DC beltway traffic, heh.

I imagine the rock hopper folks that do MOAB with the S/C could tell ya just how much more helpful it is. Probably more beneficial for that sort of use, IMHO.

I totally agree towards the rural aspect as I have alot of hills to and fro and the SC really adds spunk since I'm not running monster tires. I really felt like it paid off big time in colorado climbing the the mountains and watching normally aspirated vehicles running in the slow lane with flashers on.

I don't feel it does anything towards rock hopping as your not utilizing the upper powerband....just chugging along in low-range.