PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Spec Info, Hard to find a one stop shop.

taylorRichie
05/21/2008, 07:39 AM
================================================== ==========================
WHEEL SPEC WIKI - Please take a side image showing your offset and I'll add it here

Please include all tire and wheel specs.
================================================== ==========================
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/lifted05.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/lifted05.jpg)
Tires: 33X12.5R20 Nitto Terra Grapplers
Wheels: 20X8.5 +10mm offset 108mm center Bore KMC XD Rockstars
--
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_00271.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMG_00271.JPG)
tires:285/60/18 Toyo AT
Wheels:+18mm offset 18" Wheels
--
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/VXmodifications_024.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/VXmodifications_024.jpg)
tires:33X12.5 R20 Nitto Terra Grapplers
Wheels: 20X8.5 +15mm offset Zinik Z26
--
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/CIMG1004.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/CIMG1004.JPG)
Tires: 33x12.50 R15 Wranglers
Wheels: ??? Guessing 0 offset

---

rowhard
05/21/2008, 07:53 AM
Well, the oem wheel is a 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern, 38 mm positive offset with 108 mm center bore. I know Littlebeast was able to use 100 mm centerbore but be sure they will fit, espically when trying to remove a hot wheel that has expanded if you get my drift.

Someone here coined a wonderful phrase about the stock wheel and tires making the VX look like it is stand on it's tip toes or something to that effect, but well said.

I went with a MKW M18 wheel (see in my gallery) it is a 8.5 inch with a 18mm positive offset. I also mounted Toyo AT's, 286/60/18. I did have to crank the torsion bars, trim the front cladding and knock back the rear cladding lip, but that step might not be neccessary with the TB crank. Also had to adjust the speedometer +6%, but was simple with the scan gauge Tone sells.

Hope that helps.

Ldub
05/21/2008, 08:07 AM
Centerline: 20"x8" with 5" backspacing.

On their site, ( www.centerlinewheels.com ) I search (from the drop down menu) using Toyota 6 lug truck & SUV, to get correct center bore.:thumbup:

Offset - Distance from the wheel center-line (CL) to the wheel mating surface - greater positive offset moves the tires inward (narrower track)
Backspace - Distance from the inside lip of the wheel to the wheel mating surface
The tricky part is that when a wheel is widened the offset and/or backspace change (actually it is impossible for both of them to remain the same), so upgrading to wider wheels is not as straightforward as "get the same offset and backspace and they will fit."

I hope this diagram will help, rather than muddy up the waters of an already murky subject...:rolleyesg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/0001_wheel_offset.gif

LittleBeast
05/21/2008, 08:43 AM
Well, the oem wheel is a 6 on 5.5 bolt pattern, 38 mm positive offset with 108 mm center bore. I know Littlebeast was able to use 100 mm centerbore but be sure they will fit, espically when trying to remove a hot wheel that has expanded if you get my drift.

Actually I ordered mine with the 108mm centerbore because that is what I was told on here, but they were WAY too big when I put them on and I measured the spare tire and it was at 100mm.
THEN when I took off the STOCK 18"s I measured their center bore and guess what? It was 99.5mm. I don't know where this 108mm came from but it is wrong. Stock centerbore on our wheels is 100mm.

LittleBeast
05/21/2008, 08:50 AM
In my opinion +15 is about as low as you should go on the VX, maybe +10, but definitely not 0 or any negatives, please.

If you want to see what - offset looks like talk to tom4bren. I would not suggest it at all. In fact if you go past the +15 that I have I think it starts to look tacky, but that is just my opinion, some people like the look. Here is a sample of negative offset on the VX:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/10972/ppuser/2699

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/9939/ppuser/2699

tom4bren
05/21/2008, 09:48 AM
Rekin we'll just have to agree to disagree.

rowhard
05/21/2008, 09:57 AM
I totally agree with you littlebeast, hate the 'slotcar' look

LittleBeast
05/21/2008, 10:16 AM
Rekin we'll just have to agree to disagree.

HAHA no offense I am glad somebody tried it..... And glad you bought it. Any plans to get different wheels/tires in near future?

taylorRichie
05/21/2008, 04:15 PM
Thanks for the help, and thanks for the Diagram LDub, it is confusing, but I'm grasping it.

As for the 108mm centerbore, I'm guessing that came up because that's what most aftermarket wheels have (when they have a large center bore) I haven't seen anything with a 100, they're all 108. I believe that's what the H3 requires.

Tom4Bren, I do have a question about your spare tire... Does the rear door feel like it can handle the weight of that when it's open? I'm considering putting my fullsize spare back there like you, but I worry about the weight on the door.

LittleBeast
05/21/2008, 07:24 PM
Tom4Bren, I do have a question about your spare tire... Does the rear door feel like it can handle the weight of that when it's open? I'm considering putting my fullsize spare back there like you, but I worry about the weight on the door.

Oh man, please tell me you are kidding. I think even he wishes that the guy before him would not have done that. There are better options I think that will not seriously screw up the VX like drilling through the back door. Roof mount on a rack or removing the interior seats and making a custom mount..... that door was not designed to hold that much weight, and talk about changing the look of the truck..... not trying to knock Tom4Bren, but ask him if he would have it done if it were not already done, that is the best question I think.

taylorRichie
05/22/2008, 06:46 AM
no... I would be using it as an off road mount only. Not always there. I'm fairly confident I could have had something fabbed up that wouldn't permanently alter the Back gate.

A back seat is far more important to me than a full size spare (unless on the trails) I don't like roof top spares, they're ok while you're on the trail but you're just creating a higher center of gravity for yourself. And keeping one up there all the time is really good for gas mileage.

Having a tire back there while off road seems like it'd be a good to have when you're in the "tippies". Jack probably could have used the extra weight ;)

tom4bren
05/22/2008, 06:54 AM
Too many questions & not enough grey matter:)

1) Do I like the look? ABSOLUTELY & even more important, so does Wifey (bought the VX for her).

2) Is it too heavy for the rear door? ABSOLUTELY but ... the latch mechanism on the VX is pretty good so the hinges aren't carrying much of the load. I am very careful about opening & closing the door & will never install a door popper. I've noticed a slight amount of wear on the latch so will have to order some spare parts while they are still available. I'll try to get some pix. On the other hand, the door is bitchin heavy even without the spare so you should be careful with it anyway and NEVER EVER drive with the door open.

3) Do I wish the PO hadn't done it? No, he did a very good job of the mount. He put a fairly beafy plate both inside & out so the sheet metal isn't going to fail (if not abused by door slamming). BTW, I like the look & judging from the compliments I get - Joe Public does too.

4) Is there a better approach if you want a full sized spare & don't want it up on the roof? I'd probably fab up some kind of mount that uses the receiver hitch & never touches sheet metal. Creative engineering would be required to make it stable & not move too much. Bro has a RoadTrek (sp?) that has a similar set up but I never looked at it very closely. Of course the down side of that approach would be that if you tow with the VX, you'd be without a spare.

5) Have I thought about different wheel/tire combo? WHAT??? Prove you right??? NEVER.

Actually, I'd love to replace the Wranglers (these aren't as bad as I remember from some in the past but just never liked them). I'll wait till they're worn out tho.

I think I answered all the questions. Next scheduled tom4bren bashing starts ... now:)

tom4bren
05/22/2008, 06:58 AM
"no... I would be using it as an off road mount only. Not always there."

Sounds like the receiver hitch mount would be your best approach by far. You'd want to make sure that it doesn't affect your departure angle tho.

logman
05/22/2008, 08:23 AM
I realize this is a little off the topic of rear mounted spare tire, but when I went in to get tires at Discount tire, they said I would have excessive bulge if I went with 265/75/16... so i went with the 245/75/16 BFG A/T's. I searched for a while on the forums, and still was doubting myself.

I love the tires, but I really want something more beefy.. I was looking at BFG Mud terrains. Could I just say forget the bulge, and go with 265/75/16 BFG M/T's? Or would I be risking it since the 7" wide rim? Keep in mind, I want to stick with STOCK 16inch rims.

tom4bren
05/22/2008, 08:29 AM
IMHO - should be OK but may want to run them at a slightly higher pressure to ensure even wear (not a bad thing considering that it might also help with the gas mileage).

etlsport
05/22/2008, 08:33 AM
people have run up to 285/60/18 on stock 18s with no problems.. not sure how the 16" wheel would affect that though

logman
05/22/2008, 08:49 AM
How about nitto terra grapplers, I can get the 265/75/16 in town. Are they more aggressive than the BFG all terrains, or do they perform similar.

taylorRichie
05/25/2008, 09:43 PM
Wheels and tires ordered...
20X8.5 +10mm Offset 108mm Center Bore

33X12.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers

That's all you're getting :D Next update will be when they're on the vehicle ;)

tomdietrying
05/26/2008, 04:53 PM
Sweet!

At least you could do, is tell us when the unvailing will be.

Peace.
Tom

p.s.
Did you see LittleBeast's post on the center bore? Not sure if it really matters, but he said the center bore was 100mm and not 108mm.

taylorRichie
05/27/2008, 06:39 AM
:D

Well wheels shipped this morning, from Illinois, so I'm guessing I'll have them next monday. I'm not sure how long independent 4X takes to get their orders out, but I ordered from them 8 days ago, and they have 2 key components (coil spacer, and Tie Rods) My shocks game from Allshocks.com and they Also shipped 8 days ago, however, I have no tracking information from any of my orders :(

Assuming everything comes in the next few days (less the wheels) I'll get the install done this week(end) and then mount the wheels and tires on Monday (assuming they're here) and then Trim Trim Trim.

Then... Pictures Pictures Pictures...

so... How does June 6th sound :D

taylorRichie
05/27/2008, 06:54 AM
http://www.miata.net/garage/hubcentric.html

There's a great simple right up on hubcentric vs lugcentric.

I guess some wheels, and some vehicles can work lugcentric (relying on the lugs to center the wheel)

I think most people on this site are running in this orientation because everyone has been posting they have a 108mm bore wheel.

I'll probably order a set of rings, just to make sure there are no vibrations, but I'm not sure if there are rings to make a 100mm to 108mm.

Hopefully they just work out :)

Also some wheels are designed to be lugcentric, so they wouldn't rely on the hub to be centered anyway.

And if your vehicle has 6 lugs which utilize conical seat lug nuts. They will always be lugcentric. (are we this way? I've never pulled a tire)

Found the rings: http://www.justforwheels.com/index.jsp?cat=hubcentric

When I get my wheels I'll confirm the exact size of both wheel and hub, and then order some rings.

Kenny
05/27/2008, 08:06 PM
In my opinion +15 is about as low as you should go on the VX, maybe +10, but definitely not 0 or any negatives, please.

If you want to see what - offset looks like talk to tom4bren. I would not suggest it at all. In fact if you go past the +15 that I have I think it starts to look tacky, but that is just my opinion, some people like the look. Here is a sample of negative offset on the VX:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/10972/ppuser/2699

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/9939/ppuser/2699

I have 265/70/17 on 0-offset rims. The stick out a little, but you hardly notice it.

tom4bren
05/28/2008, 06:51 AM
"I have 265/70/17 on 0-offset rims. The stick out a little, but you hardly notice it."

Thanks for watching my back Kenny:)

I'll have to agree that my offset looks a little strange from the rear but all other angles look great IMHO.

BTW, we are lugcentric. Only use the rings if you purchase aftermarket rims that require them. If you try to use the conical lugnuts with a concentric rim, they'll work against each other & won't seat properly.

taylorRichie
05/28/2008, 07:22 AM
Killer I wanted to here that we are lugcentric...

Very good... Thanks!!

And Tom, I like the look of your VX... It looks like an RC car, or some kind of toy :D which it is.

It does however look like it'd require a lot of hacking of the cladding. ;)

4X4 UFO
05/28/2008, 08:57 AM
Hey, Tom, don't let 'em give you grief over your offset. I think VX's look good with a little tread outside the body. I've only got a 12mm negative offset (minimal cladding trimming), but that puts the Nittos out about an inch wider than the cladding. Plus, you have the added benefit of looking like a comet when you're going down the road in a heavy rain!

Randy

tom4bren
05/28/2008, 09:17 AM
"It does however look like it'd require a lot of hacking of the cladding."

Yup - didn't really notice how much till I parked next to some stockers recently when we got together in Shenandoah. PO did a good job of it but more is needed (get some rub at full lock).

"Hey, Tom, don't let 'em give you grief over your offset. I think VX's look good with a little tread outside the body."

I don't take much personally so I just let them have their fun:) I think there's actually about 4 inches of tread showing on mine.

"Plus, you have the added benefit of looking like a comet when you're going down the road in a heavy rain!"

More like a friggin waterfall. Mudbogs are FUUUUNNN!!!

LittleBeast
05/28/2008, 12:26 PM
I have 265/70/17 on 0-offset rims. The stick out a little, but you hardly notice it.

Your tires are over 2" more narrow than tom4bren's which would compensate for your 0 offset and bring yours back into the ballpark in which in my opinion looks pretty good. 1" to 1 and 3/4" sticking out of fenders in my opinion looks pretty good 2"+ gets into the um wow that is not supposed to look like that range, and Tom4bren's is 4"+ sticking out. I am not saying I don't like tom4bren's VX or trying to give him a hard time, my opinion though is that the VX looks better with only a little tread sticking out. The whole "offset" thing is pretty confusing anyways. It is much easier to look at the back spacing and tread sticking out.

tom4bren
05/28/2008, 12:52 PM
LittleBeast,

Y R U picking on me??? After all, NerveGas is running 36x13.50s on his 'beast' (no pun intended - that's what he calls it). BTW, he also uses 1.5 inch spacers to push them out even farther. I guess with a total of 7.5 inches of lift tho, he can pull it off. Unfortunately he doesn't have any pix in his gallery. Hopefully I'll get to see it in person at a meet-n-greet at Lake Anna this summer.

How 'bout coming to Austin on 25 Jun & showing me what a real VX is supposed to look like?

Kenny
05/28/2008, 01:10 PM
Your tires are over 2" more narrow than tom4bren's which would compensate for your 0 offset and bring yours back into the ballpark in which in my opinion looks pretty good. 1" to 1 and 3/4" sticking out of fenders in my opinion looks pretty good 2"+ gets into the um wow that is not supposed to look like that range, and Tom4bren's is 4"+ sticking out. I am not saying I don't like tom4bren's VX or trying to give him a hard time, my opinion though is that the VX looks better with only a little tread sticking out. The whole "offset" thing is pretty confusing anyways. It is much easier to look at the back spacing and tread sticking out.

True, true. Offset is one aspect. When you go over 285 width with <=0 offset, the stance gets a bit awkward as well as additional stresses on suspension and axles...

And the oh so neat rooster tails from the front tires on wet roads.;)

I don't see us picking on you tom, it's just a matter of opinion like lifted or not lifted. Personally, I think your wide tire stance looks pretty cool, but I'd never go there for fear of vehicle inspections and extra stresses on the stock parts.

The coolest thing about the VX is how many ways we can express our selves with it. Just the difference in "attitude" between a lowered VX with 20" rims and one lifted with 15" rims is neat to see. (Not too many people can beat ldub and his tricked out personalization of his ride!!- you can hear it growl just looking at a picture) Some people do forget to be supportive as opposed to a bit critical.

cheers.

LittleBeast
05/28/2008, 02:18 PM
LittleBeast,

Y R U picking on me??? After all, NerveGas is running 36x13.50s on his 'beast' (no pun intended - that's what he calls it). BTW, he also uses 1.5 inch spacers to push them out even farther. I guess with a total of 7.5 inches of lift tho, he can pull it off. Unfortunately he doesn't have any pix in his gallery. Hopefully I'll get to see it in person at a meet-n-greet at Lake Anna this summer.

How 'bout coming to Austin on 25 Jun & showing me what a real VX is supposed to look like?

Yeah I would like to see some pictures of NerveGas's VX as well. Sorry dude not trying to pick on you at all, I think Kenny said it best though. Your ride looks unique and I can see why you like it. It is really mean looking and great stance, it is just a little too much if I had a choice. I wouldn't want to put that kind of stress on my axles and back door, but you are pulling it off nicely. I would never suggest using spacers to push the wheels out further either but NerveGas's ride looks pretty mean too and he is pulling it off somehow. And as far as "showing you what a real VX is supposed to look like" dude you have a real VX and yours sits a little wider than mine, it doesn't make it more or less of a VX, it is just my opinion that I like a little less tread sticking out from the fender than you have on your VX. I am sure there are some people that think I have too much tread sticking out for their tastes. I get the side of mine dirty a lot quicker now with the wider tires. Each person has their own line as to what is too big or too wide. But thank goodness we all don't like exactly the same things, what a boring world that would be. And I would love to meet you and hang out June 25th, but I am flying out to the Olympic Trials on the 27th so I don't think I could make that.

tom4bren
05/28/2008, 02:32 PM
Hope Y'all don't think that I'm serious about feeling picked on. It's just my warped sense of humor. I rarely take things too seriously.

I know that the "offset from hell" look (quoted from a thread long ago & far away) isn't for everyone. I like so I'm happy.

Personally, I'm not into the Kick Arse sound system so I'd prolly have similar comments to those who are (right Eric?).

I'm not into an electric fan conversion for 0.1% power increase so would have comments about that too (right Zeus?)

If I ever saw a VX that had been slammed & dripping with bling - I'd probably cry.

It's all a matter of opinion. In my opinion I'm right & you're wrong. It's all good.

taylorRichie
05/28/2008, 04:36 PM
My wheels will stick out about .25" further on each side than littleBeast... uh oh...

;)

Utah is pretty big on nailing those without proper fender coverage, so I could never pull of the Offset from Hell.

Plus it gives the police a reason to pull you over at any time :(

Otherwise I think it looks tough.

tom4bren
05/29/2008, 09:40 AM
I was told that here in VA if I put a marker light over each wheel, they'll be completely legal. Didn't want to so I just found a station that would pass it 'as is'. So far my luck has held out (even drove 2.5 hours back from Shenandoah w/o rear tag & didn't get stopped).

taylorRichie
05/29/2008, 08:26 PM
In Utah, you have to have fender coverage, AND mudflaps, Which I'm already going to get hassled for (just guessing)

They're pretty strict... atleast they were when I was under 20. Fix it tickets about once a month.

Maybe now that I'm older I won't get hassled.

taylorRichie
06/08/2008, 07:56 AM
Not to resurrect this thread, but for future folks searching for wheel information.

Here is what a +10mm wheelset looks like with 33X12.5 Mudd Grapplers

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/lifted05.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/lifted05.jpg)

rowhard
06/08/2008, 08:27 AM
Your photo is helpful. Maybe we could develop a picture catalog of wheel offsets/tire so other's can see what their beloved VX would look like with these different combinations.

Here is mine. +18mm offset with 285/60/18 Toyo AT
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_00028.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=11453)

taylorRichie
06/08/2008, 08:35 AM
Very good idea... and your picture is almost identical to how mine was shot. Maybe we should start a wheel offset thread wiki. Where People only post images like the ones we just posted.

Only give wheel specs:

Offset
Backspacing
Width

Tire specs:

Brand/model
Size: width height.

rowhard
06/08/2008, 09:26 AM
Very good idea. Your photo showed the offset well, so stepped outside, shot it, downloaded it, and uploaded in about 5 minutes to show what mine looked like.:)

taylorRichie
06/09/2008, 06:56 AM
wiki Started on first post...

Please others contribute to this thread :D

tom4bren
06/10/2008, 11:09 AM
Richie,

Do you need me to take 'nuther pic or can you grab one from my gallery?

Tom

twistedsymphony
07/22/2008, 08:32 AM
I like really wide tires... I love the "offset from hell" personally

unfortunately it's illegal to run tires where the tread sticks out further than the body and in NH we have annual state inspections too... I don't need the hassle.

so with that said, what's the widest tire & maximum back spacing I can run while staying flush with the body? could I run 12.50" tires with adequate backspacing and without sticking out?

I don't mind buying new wheels to fit a wider tire either (in-fact I plan on it).

A couple other questions related to this topic:

Can I fit 15" wheels on the VX without interfering with the brakes? or is 16" the smallest I can go?

if I install a 3" suspension lift will the VX clear 33" tires without any trimming?

etlsport
07/22/2008, 08:56 AM
very doubtul 33s will fit without trimming lift or not.. your best bet is stock 16" wheels for minimal trimming..

15" wheels should fit.. there are a few who run 15" wheels.. some say they had to shave down the control arm by like 1 mm.. i have a set of 15" wheels to go on my vx.. havent even test fit them yet though

twistedsymphony
07/22/2008, 09:45 AM
good to know...

are there any threads on how much trimming is required and where? I noticed that a lot of people here seem to be running the 3" lift with 33x12.5" setup but I haven't been able to find much info on how well it all fits.

32x11.5 R16 would probably be better for gas mileage anyway :rolleyes:

LittleBeast
07/22/2008, 12:12 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/VXmodifications_024.jpg

Wheel Specs: Zinik Z26 chrome with black insert
Offset: +15
Back Spacing: 135mm (5.3")
Wheel Size: 20" x 8.5"

Tire Specs: Nitto Mudd Grapplers
Exact Size: 32.95 x 12.80 / 20
Approx Conversion: 33 x 12.5 / 20 = 318/52/20

Helpful tool to visualize: http://www.bigcustomwheels.com/info_specs.jsp

Of course we all know we have 6 x 139.7mm(5.5") lugs and 100mm center bore.

twistedsymphony
07/23/2008, 06:38 AM
LittleBeast, a couple questions if you don't mind...

1. do you think you would have room for MORE backspacing or a higher offset on your setup without rubbing?

2. how wide are your wheels?

3. how much lift are you running

4. did you trim your fenders and if so, do you have close up pics of where you trimmed them? .

:)

taylorRichie
07/23/2008, 06:55 AM
33X12.5 Won't fit our vehicles with any wheel/tire combo unless you...

A: Lift so high your CV boots shred once a month.
B: Body lift and Torsion crank/OME912/Spring Puck.
C: Do a lot of trimming.

I think everyone here did C... I of course had to do more than most because of my offset.

If you're just looking to make your vehicle capable, more than aesthetically mean. Todd Adams probably has the best set up. I think he can go more places than the rest of us.

He has ~32X10.5" tires, on near factory spec wheels. But he has an ARB Locker up front.

I'll answer your questions as well (for me not on Littlte Beasts Behalf)

1. I would have had to cut less, but still would have had to cut.

2. Mine are 20X8.5

3. We all lift our vehicles in the same method OME912 Coils in the rear, and a torsion crank. I did OME rear, with a 1" Coil spacer. And a hefty torsion crank. 15+ I started at ~32" to the bottom of the fender. And now I'm up there... with 33" tires below. (I'll measure if you need me to.

4. I trimmed my fenders and inside the wheel wells as well. Also had to cut off the front of my Sliders. No close ups. But I know LittleBeast has them in his Gallery, I used his images to prepare me for what I had to do.

Lift Wiki (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=13470&highlight=lift+wiki) <- Visit that Link for a wealth of information as well.

twistedsymphony
07/23/2008, 07:52 AM
I guess I'm confused over what exactly is getting trimmed...
I looked at the pictures on LB's gallery... maybe I'm missing it but it doesn't look like the cladding was cut at all.

Do you actually cut the cladding or just the fender liner?
Do you need to cut any of the metal bits under the fender liner or just bang on them for a while?
Do you trim/bang anything in the rear or is this only necessary for turning clearance?

tom4bren
07/23/2008, 08:01 AM
I don't think anyone has had to trim the rear wheel wells.

Front:

Everyone had to do some trimming

Some performed metalurgical deformation with a BFH

Some removed a bracket behind the cladding

It all depends on how much trimming you need. I personally need more since my wheel offset is so pronounced. The PO did a great job on the trimming but I need a little more & that means that I'll have to hammer or remove the bracket (hope not).

LittleBeast
07/23/2008, 01:00 PM
LittleBeast, a couple questions if you don't mind...

1. do you think you would have room for MORE backspacing or a higher offset on your setup without rubbing?

2. how wide are your wheels?

3. how much lift are you running

4. did you trim your fenders and if so, do you have close up pics of where you trimmed them? .

:)

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=13415&highlight=LittleBeast+BigBeast

The 10th photo on that post shows you what is involved on the inside of the front wheels wells. That is the only major trimming you have to do and it is not that bad and not noticable at all unless you are really looking for it and stick your head into the wheel wells. On the front of the front cladding you have to do very small trimming as well, not that hard and definitely not that noticable. I think I have pics of almost everything you need to visualize in my gallery if not let me know and I can take some more.

1. yes
2. Wheels are 20x8.5 but the tires are 32.95" x 12.8": http://www.nittotire.com/#index%2Etire%2Emudgrappler%2Esizes
3. 3" OME912 springs + torsion crank
4. Pic as I was in the middle of trimming inner fender of front passenger side wheel well:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/VXmodifications_008.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=11037)
Pic of removed materials:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/VXmodifications_013.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=11039)
After trimming was done:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/VXmodifications_010.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=11038)
I have some more pics of the trimming of the front at home if that would help.

twistedsymphony
07/23/2008, 01:55 PM
thanks for the great replies :)

LB, I think I see what you did now. you trimmed the cladding along the bottom...

on the right-ish side I see a vertical metal piece with what looks like 3 tabs, is that what you hammer down?

I'm assuming this is the side of the wheel well near the doors... do you need to modify the front side of the wheel well too, or just the door side?

on last semi-off topic question, how badly do the 33"s hit your gas mileage over stock?

thanks again for all of this :)

tom4bren
07/23/2008, 02:05 PM
Mine was trimmed on the front side of the wheel wells. That's the easy trim since there's no bracket to get in your way. You should be able to mark the cladding with a grease pencil to guide you in how much will have to be cut off or better yet, take a picture of your wheel well & practice on that. There are some wheel well pix in my gallery that I took for someone a while back (they didn't come out very good though).

Can't say how my gas mileage was effected since it was done by the PO.

taylorRichie
07/23/2008, 04:55 PM
I had to trim a bunch on the front of mine as well... But like LB said, no one notices unless they're an owner of these vehicles, and they look for it. It'll be even less noticeable after I get Bedliner sprayed on all my cladding. :D

etlsport
07/23/2008, 07:02 PM
etlsport strikes again with an unheard of number of random photos!

heres a comparison of cobrajet's VX and tom4bren's VX nose to nose notice how tom's wheel well continues down at an angle while cobra's rounds down to be even with the other side

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/lift_comparison.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=11777)

(i just cut out the middle of the photo.. the height difference is actual.. and just for fun in the background you can see cstylesVX and my VX height side by side)

tom4bren
07/24/2008, 06:11 AM
Eric - U Da Man

BTW, mine is a 3" lift and I think Andres' is too. Good photo to guestimate the hood height difference with/without lift. I wish now that we had taken one similar with the arse ends. If we get together at Lake Anna next month we'll have to try.

twistedsymphony
07/25/2008, 01:44 PM
you guys rock :thanx:

tom4bren
10/24/2008, 09:05 AM
FYI,

I had the camera out taking some pix of the diff drop brackets I just installed so I took a few others as well that pertain to this thread:

full size spare on rear door

pix of tire protrusion for the wiki mentioned earlier

Not for this thread but I also took pix of Tone's hitch with receiver installed (yes, it's quite a drop but works well for both the boat & SeaDoo trailers).

The photos are in my gallery, enjoy.

Tom

Gussie2000
11/08/2008, 01:53 AM
I got in mind having new wheels n' tires & ever since i've been searching about all this info,i guess i found every thing.

American racing have a excelent line up of wheels right now,you guys can also click by tirerack.com & there'll be 15 wheels that fits perfectly,from 16'' to 20'' sizes.

My 1st choice is the 19 x 8.5,but 20 x 9 with 15 mm offset shouldn't look bad neither :rolleyes:

taylorRichie
11/08/2008, 09:01 AM
Tom I forgot your wheelspecs but I added you to the main page...

tom4bren
11/10/2008, 07:46 AM
I don't know my wheel specs either. PO installed them & I haven't figgered out what brand they are much less any of the specs.

The tires are 33x12.50 R15 Wranglers.

Gussie2000
11/19/2008, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the help, and thanks for the Diagram LDub, it is confusing, but I'm grasping it.

As for the 108mm centerbore, I'm guessing that came up because that's what most aftermarket wheels have (when they have a large center bore) I haven't seen anything with a 100, they're all 108. I believe that's what the H3 requires.

I called the tirerack customer service about the center bore issue & they told me that the 108mm is the standart for most 6x5.5 wheels.

LittleBeast
11/20/2008, 09:18 AM
I called the tirerack customer service about the center bore issue & they told me that the 108mm is the standart for most 6x5.5 wheels.

Yeah just make sure it is more than 100mm and you will be fine. I just ran into a problem because my lug pattern and center bore were drilled per my specs and the 108mm bore was so big that it is harder than normal for me to line up the lugs when reinstalling wheels, but I am guessing there is less wiggle room to work with if you get the 100mm bore, just seems like I have too much wiggle room to work with.

IndianaVX
11/21/2008, 11:13 AM
for what its worth, i just bought a set of 98 rodeo wheels, and they fit fine.

H3_VX
09/08/2011, 04:07 PM

Someone here coined a wonderful phrase about the stock wheel and tires making the VX look like it is stand on it's tip toes or something to that effect, but well said.

I went with a MKW M18 wheel (see in my gallery) it is a 8.5 inch with a 18mm positive offset. I also mounted Toyo AT's, 286/60/18. I did have to crank the torsion bars, trim the front cladding and knock back the rear cladding lip, but that step might not be neccessary with the TB crank. Also had to adjust the speedometer +6%, but was simple with the scan gauge Tone sells.

Hope that helps.

Those are the exact specs of my H3. LOL, I should swap wheels on rigs someday. Maybe I have a "thing" for those specs.

VXorado
09/08/2011, 06:24 PM
Yeah there is a VX on the rims/tires thread with H3 wheels and it looks pretty good... At least if you're into the h3 rims

Ldub
02/09/2012, 07:28 PM
http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html

H3_VX
04/06/2012, 05:22 PM
I'd like to get some new chrome lugs for my VX. Some of mine are rusted. Any suggestions? I looked at some on ebay, but don't know if they're reputable.

espidus
04/06/2012, 07:12 PM
I went through the whole wheel,tire, offset thing..... take a look at my thread on that http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=21304 I started it while trying to figure out what would look good. I think my combo came out good, obviously not everyone is going to do 35's though, but theyr'e worth the trouble. My rims are KMC XD Addict 798 18"x9" with an offset of 18, tires are Nitto Trail Grapplers (35"x12.5"). Good luck figuring it out, hope the table on the 1st page of the thread helps.

Ldub
04/06/2012, 10:43 PM
I'd like to get some new chrome lugs for my VX. Some of mine are rusted. Any suggestions? I looked at some on ebay, but don't know if they're reputable.

All I know about lug nutz is...

I'd buy used OEM Isuzu lugs before I bought anything aftermarket from ebay...:yes:

Mine were new in 99, & still look good when I scrub my nuts with a stiff brush...:yesgray:...:smilewink

I've never seen any nuts as good as mine, they've never been garaged, & spend the long cold winters outside in the parking lot.

I'd like to continue extolling the virtues of oem nuts, but I'm afraid that interlopers from Jeep forums might read this, & eventually start coveting my swell Isuzu nuts...:uhohgray:

OEM...FTW...:thumbup:

Cobrajet
04/06/2012, 11:44 PM
I replaced all of mine a few years ago with McGard lugs from Summit Racing. You can get some that look just like OEM. I don't have the part numbers handy right now, but I can do a search if you're interested.

edit: The part number is 64012 (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MCG-64012/).

Riff Raff
04/07/2012, 03:55 AM
I replaced all of mine a few years ago with McGard lugs from Summit Racing. You can get some that look just like OEM. I don't have the part numbers handy right now, but I can do a search if you're interested.

x2, CobraJet; and I concur with the Dubster on not buying poor quality lugnuts from eBay (BTW; I'm glad the Dubster likes his nuts, as I like mine too :yeso:). Buy aftermarket lugnuts only from a reputable source like Summit Racing (S.R. only sells top-notch quality products and guarantees what they sell). Summit Racing would be my only source!!!

:bgwb:

MSHardeman
04/07/2012, 10:11 AM
X3 what CobraJet said. I bought some black lug nuts from McGuard that looked just like the Isuzu OEM's. Got some wheel keys to match too. High quality, and haven't had a problem with them. You can get them other places than Summit, and usually cheaper. Think I got mine from Amazon.

tysamigo
04/07/2012, 02:20 PM
Guess I'm getting a few sets from Summit. BTW, the warranty on the McGuard Nuts (summit item# 64012) is:

McGard warrants its products against manufacturer defects for a period of one year after the date of purchase. Lug nuts carry a lifetime warranty against defects in material and workmanship. The chrome plating on the lug nuts is warranted for life not to chip, peel, or rust under normal use and care.

On the long list of things to do, this one is now checked off, I'm sold.

Thanks ya'll :)

H3_VX
04/07/2012, 02:20 PM

edit: The part number is 64012 (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MCG-64012/).

Thanks!

sean_grigoros
04/30/2012, 05:04 PM
anyone can provide proper off set and wheel size as refer, mine Vx has 265-50r20, 20x9, but front wheel rubbing front bumper. driving me crazy when i am doing full turn, i may consider lifting the truck for 3'' by install Calimini suspension kit, did anyone know if they are still in business and anyone already installed, please provide pictures and wheel off set, so that I could do it at one shot. Thanks a million.