PDA

View Full Version : Muffler Help Needed

Joe Isuzu
05/20/2008, 02:16 PM
OK, I admit I got caught up in the excitement of others and wanted to ditch the heavy OEM muffler for something more efficient. I began with the magnaflow (that'll be for sale if I don't hear back from cyronman), then I went to Borla but the exhaust shop convinced me it would be nearly as loud as the magnaflow. I'm returning the Borla and ended up with a Flowmaster. This is also much louder than I care for and the thing that gets me, it's not really a pleasant loud, just kinda obnoxious. So, I called Merlin today and the OEM muffler is backordered and also $320 (!!!) even with the discount.
Soooo, I need advice. And yes, I realize now I should have never taken off my OEM muffler to begin with. (bad boy!)
Any advice on something that's lighter than OEM and only slightly, if any, louder. I know the muffler shop probably thinks I have more money than sense, and in this case, they're right unfortunately.
Also, anyone with a spare good condition OEM muffler lying around?

tomdietrying
05/20/2008, 03:02 PM
Yep....My OME was taken off at 15,000 miles or 5 years ago. I still have it in the attic.
Peace.
Tom

Joe Isuzu
05/20/2008, 03:17 PM
dude, how much and how pay?
I wanted ideally to end up with the VX better-off (more efficient) than before but now this has been such a mess, I'll be happy to be back to where I was before. If anything, I might have an OEM muffler with 70k less miles on it, so in that way, I'm a little better off!

VehiGAZ
05/21/2008, 06:42 AM
but now this has been such a mess, I'll be happy to be back to where I was before.

Herein lies wisdom - when it comes to cars, you can often make an improvement, but usually at the cost of something else you weren't bargaining for.

The phrase "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" comes to mind...

tom4bren
05/21/2008, 07:44 AM
Funny ... 0.1% increase in throttle response comes to my mind.

Sorry Zeus - you've had 2 unrequitted jabs at my expense lately ... just trying to catch up.

tom4bren
05/21/2008, 07:47 AM
"OK, I admit I got caught up in the excitement of others and wanted to ditch the heavy OEM muffler for something more efficient."

Joe, how come you didn't go the route of a dual exhaust with free flow cats & a cross over?

Joe Isuzu
05/21/2008, 08:50 AM
"OK, I admit I got caught up in the excitement of others and wanted to ditch the heavy OEM muffler for something more efficient."

Joe, how come you didn't go the route of a dual exhaust with free flow cats & a cross over?

First off is price, secondly, I can only imagine that this kind of set-up would be just as loud as what I currently have (and don't want). Lastly, some of the pictures I've seen of the dual set-up concern me as the exhaust tips come close to the bumper and I would prefer it look as stock as possible

Herein lies wisdom - when it comes to cars, you can often make an improvement, but usually at the cost of something else you weren't bargaining for.

The phrase "You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear" comes to mind...

Yes, you are very correct on this one. Some things I have a hard time accepting, like the VX is loud and inefficient. So, of course I strive to make it more efficient at the expense of making it LOUDER :(

cyronman
05/21/2008, 02:18 PM
Joe,

just saw your PM
;)

Joe Isuzu
05/26/2008, 10:49 AM
Tomdietrying
PM sent

alleycat
05/07/2009, 11:34 AM
Yep....My OME was taken off at 15,000 miles or 5 years ago. I still have it in the attic.
Peace.
Tom

Tom;
Still have the OEM muffler?
Ed
(alleyct@optonline.net)

BigSwede
05/07/2009, 06:06 PM
FWIW I have put Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers on both my Troopers. If you get the 20" body models, they have a nice mellow throb at idle, you hear them on accel, but they are pretty quiet at cruise, you don't even notice it. The 14" body models are too loud, pretty much like the PV.

I put the 17748 model on my Troopers, it has the 2.5" pipe size which is good for a 3.5L.

http://www.dynomax.com/ecat/pdfs/superturbo.pdf

Riff Raff
05/07/2009, 07:29 PM
FWIW I have put Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers on both my Troopers. If you get the 20" body models, they have a nice mellow throb at idle, you hear them on accel, but they are pretty quiet at cruise, you don't even notice it. The 14" body models are too loud, pretty much like the PV.

I put the 17748 model on my Troopers, it has the 2.5" pipe size which is good for a 3.5L.

BIG SWEDE--- Thanx for the tip on the Dynomax Super Turbo muffler. This is exactly what VehiGAZ has recommended many times in the past; although he didn't mention if he used the 20" body or the 14" body. You mentioned that you installed the 20" body on your Troopers; do you think the 20" body version will also fit on the VX too??? In any event; when I need a muffler replacement, it definately will be the Dynomax Super Turbo muffler (with the biggest "body" that will fit on the VX).

BigSwede
05/07/2009, 07:45 PM
If the VX OEM muffler is anything like the Trooper muffler they are huge and there should be enough room for a Super Turbo there. They are fairly long but a lot thinner than the OEM.

If I remember I'll look under a VX in Moab...:bwgr:

VehiGAZ
05/08/2009, 08:13 AM
This is exactly what VehiGAZ has recommended many times in the past; although he didn't mention if he used the 20" body or the 14" body.

It was the big dog - the 20" model.

One of our members just changed from OEM to the stock-piping-size Dynomax Super Turbo (rather than up-sizing to 2.5") and got plenty of new-found torque in the process. This makes it a cheap and easy install - should be no more than $125 - $150 total for the muffler and installation.

Geo114
05/08/2009, 08:43 AM
I just got my exhaust installed. I have the flowmaster super 44 exhaust istalled and I drove my VX for about an hour before I realized that something had to be done. I took it back to my mechanic and we installed a resonating tip. It evened it out and really quited the exhaust note down. now its only loud when you lay on the throttle. :bwgy:

tomdietrying
05/08/2009, 11:06 AM
allycat,
Yep, I still have my original muffler. Send me an e-mail after I get back from Moab. That will be in 8 days if you still want to talk.
Peace.
Tom

Jolly Roger VX'er
05/08/2009, 05:11 PM

BIG SWEDE--- Thanx for the tip on the Dynomax Super Turbo muffler. This is exactly what VehiGAZ has recommended many times in the past; although he didn't mention if he used the 20" body or the 14" body. You mentioned that you installed the 20" body on your Troopers; do you think the 20" body version will also fit on the VX too??? In any event; when I need a muffler replacement, it definately will be the Dynomax Super Turbo muffler (with the biggest "body" that will fit on the VX).

It was the big dog - the 20" model.

One of our members just changed from OEM to the stock-piping-size Dynomax Super Turbo (rather than up-sizing to 2.5") and got plenty of new-found torque in the process. This makes it a cheap and easy install - should be no more than $125 - $150 total for the muffler and installation.

Thanks guys......Supercharged w/ Cold-air intake & blocked EGR; I was only missing one more piece of the puzzle....now it's complete...upsized to 2.5" and added Dynomax Super Turbo per your reccomendations.....ummmmmmmm, me likey....me Likey ALOT!

PittVXr
05/18/2009, 07:43 PM

I'm giving a big thumbs up to the Dynomax Super Turbo. I've had it on for a week now and I think it sounds great. It sounds pretty much how BigSwede describes it. I went with 2.5 inch Stainless Steel Pipe and a 3 inch tip.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/VX_0063.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=14405)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/thumbs/VX_0073.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=14404)

Riff Raff
05/18/2009, 08:22 PM
I'm giving a big thumbs up to the Dynomax Super Turbo. I've had it on for a week now and I think it sounds great. It sounds pretty much how BigSwede describes it. I went with 2.5 inch Stainless Steel Pipe and a 3 inch tip.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/VX_0063.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=14405)

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/thumbs/VX_0073.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=14404)

PittVXr--- Ok; that's it, I'm sold!!! It is without a doubt going to be the Dynomax Super Turbo muffler with the 20" body for me, period. All of the other brands/models have had various VX complaints about the sound (too loud, too raspy, too ricey) except the Dynomax Super Turbo with the 20" body.

My only question is-- Does going with a "Dual Exhaust" pose a problem with the VX due to various undercarriage obstacles in routing tubing??? I suppose that a single Dynomax Super Turbo muffler could be used with 1-inlet/2-outlet or would twin mufflers be better??? If it's a real PITA to fabricate a dual set-up, then I'll just duplicate what PittVXr has done. Any advice (pros/cons) on a "dual set-up"???

VehiGAZ
05/21/2009, 08:39 AM
There's not much room to work with, so a dual muffler setup means at least one of them will be hanging low. I have issues with just one exhaust pipe banging on suspension components when I'm starting it...

etlsport
05/21/2009, 07:32 PM
how much has everyone been paying for the pipe behind the muffler, i went and got a quote to run 2.5" pipe from the muffler to the exhaust exit and they wanted 190.. 400 if i wanted duals

Jolly Roger VX'er
05/21/2009, 07:56 PM
how much has everyone been paying for the pipe behind the muffler, i went and got a quote to run 2.5" pipe from the muffler to the exhaust exit and they wanted 190.. 400 if i wanted duals

I went 2.5" aluminized cat-back into muffler and 2.5" aluminized tailpipe without any kind of tip added for $200 plus tax @ Monro's. :)

Kenny
05/21/2009, 08:20 PM
it's tight. But doable for duals. I have no issues with routing the tail pipes even with resonators on them. Tho I do agree to go 20" body as opposed to 14". The duals set up will always sound a bit harsher than a 2 into 1 or 1 into 1. Since each pipe is banging out 3 cyl. I have an X pipe that does tend to blend the note a bit. I'm tempted to go to this 20" muffler to see if it takes some rasp away on accel.

dtruax
05/21/2009, 08:30 PM
has anyone made a soundclip of the dynomax?

PittVXr
05/22/2009, 05:27 AM
I paid $250 for 2.5" Stainless pipe from the cats back. Plus an additional $30 for him to fab up a 3" tip.

I tried to get a sound clip with my digital camera after the install. Unfortunately the mic on my camera = FAIL.

VehiGAZ
05/22/2009, 07:44 AM

They charged me $200 for the original FlowMaster not-so-Super 44 install for 2.5" aluminumized piping from the junction just downstream of the cats, to the new muffler, and again from the muffler back to the SS tip I put on. When I replaced the Flowmaster with the Dynomax, they charged me about $220 to install the bigger muffler (I do not know exactly what piping was replaced that time, though).

So $190 is a good price, Eric. Good luck!

VXMAN
05/27/2009, 09:38 AM
Does anyone have an OEM muffler for sale? My daugther's VX is in need of a new muffler Badly. Please let me know A.S.A.P. :)

Thanks,
Dave...

Riff Raff
07/06/2009, 10:33 PM
:bump:

Gussie2000
07/07/2009, 05:12 AM
As many us you guys know i got two mufflers running under the horse with the 20" body & they sound loud,but i like it thought.

Got my neighbors three blocks away talking about it :p