PDA

View Full Version : need help to install the electric Fan please, thanks guys :).

CoastieCosta567
05/17/2008, 08:58 PM
Hey guys, i just bought the electric fan and i want to install it tomorrow, but i have no clue where to start. can some1 here help me out on how to install it on a step to step way. please, and what do i need, cuz i bought the 16" fan kit from Kragen automotive but how does it turn on and off? like i mean where does it connect to trun the fan on and how does it turn on, when you trun the key, or turn on the engine, cuz the kit looks real simple. also so far i read everything is good about this simple mod, has there been anything wrong at all with it or is it still working as good as when you all installed it? thanks again guys.

kodiak
05/18/2008, 05:34 AM
It sounds like you are going to need a wiring kit. This is one I found on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FAN-CONTROL-TEMP-SENSOR-RELAY-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33600QQihZ017QQitem Z270238285228QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

etlsport
05/18/2008, 06:54 AM
yep you need a wiring kit with a temp sensor that will have to be tapped into your coolant line.. check orions gallery i think he has a pic of where he put his.

you will also want to put a switch in that will completely turn it off for anytime you are traveling through deep water

Joe Isuzu
05/18/2008, 08:16 AM
I'll be interested in seeing how this goes as I've been toying with the idea of doing it as well, good luck and keep us posted!

CoastieCosta567
05/18/2008, 09:04 AM
thanx you guys, yeah i really need that kit. well when i get it i'll start the mod, but till then maybe till next weekend, can any1 that has done this mod before explain on how to do it, thanx.

CoastieCosta567
05/18/2008, 09:09 AM
thanx kodiak and etlsport.

It sounds like you are going to need a wiring kit. This is one I found on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FAN-CONTROL-TEMP-SENSOR-RELAY-KIT_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33600QQihZ017QQitem Z270238285228QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Greasemonkey
05/18/2008, 10:56 AM
Hi i have done this mod to my Frontera sport (isuzu MU) and it was quite easy
1 remove the radiator and fix the fan and motor to it so it sucks air through the rad and into the engine bay - use mounting kit provided and fix securely
2 remove the viscious fan unit and any other parts not required ( I managed to remove the whole spindle and bearing and fitted a shortened drive belt
3 install the rad and fan assembly
4 check the clearences remember the engien does move but the fan doesn't check it wont contact
5 install the electrics with a cut off switch on the dash
6 i used a couple of diodes to ensure no back feed problems and wired the fans via a rad mounted temp switch from a trooper it fits into the blanked off hole in the top of the rad
7 i also fitted an adjustable thermostatic switch which has a sensor inside the top hose
8 wiring is permanently live with a 30 amp fuse for each source of power
9 the trooper sensor is the back up on at 100-105 - off at 90-95 and the adjustable is on at 98 off at 90
use good water proof tape and solder and heat shrink all joints
10 alll wiring is through 40 amp relays directly fused from the battery
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/greasemonkey_01/th_DSCF0061.jpg (http://s70.photobucket.com/albums/i101/greasemonkey_01/?action=view&current=DSCF0061.flv)
you can see the rad mounted switch on the top of the rad and the adjustable top right of the frame
both fans run together in parallel and it cools like a freezer on speed

cheers
Steve

CoastieCosta567
05/18/2008, 07:26 PM
Thank you so much Greasemonkey, i'll use those steps this next weekend and give it a try, thanx again.

Triathlete
05/18/2008, 07:43 PM
Coastie,
What is the reason you are doing an electric fan? I believe it was Tone (I could be wrong) who did an electric fan on his VX a while back. It did not cool as well as the stock fan. The horsepower gain is very little (not enough to notice). Unfortunately I think the thread that discussed it was on the old board and is no longer available (although you might search the archives on this board). If it was Tone maybe he will chime in.
The only thing the fan will do is provide a way to turn it off during deep water crossings.

etlsport
05/18/2008, 07:54 PM
also keep in mind that the temperatures greasemonkey mentioned are probably in C and not F

ZEUS
05/18/2008, 08:04 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12015&highlight=electric+fan
You'll have to forgive Tommy boy for jacking up the thread... but it does make for a more entertaining read!

CoastieCosta567
05/18/2008, 09:35 PM
so i should not do it? what you guys think, cuz i'm looking for a cooler engine, not horse power here.

kodiak
05/18/2008, 10:01 PM
so i should not do it? what you guys think, cuz i'm looking for a cooler engine, not horse power here.
Its hard to beat the stock fan.:rolleyes:

Greasemonkey
05/18/2008, 10:49 PM
The actual cost of doing the conversion is quite small the main expense being the fans and motor - if you can find one from a breakers yard for a good price try it and see if it cools or not
i found that i gained 10ish BHP from a 115 BHP engine - rolling road tells me 118 at the rear axle now instead of 108 and the MPG is quite a bit better too
also the fan comes on after a long run when the engine is off and cools it to the correct temp to avoid hot spots although its not using the water pump it circulates using convection
i realise its only a small 2000cc engine but the principle is the same - in fact because you guys have hotter weather for longer its more relavent for you to have better cooling - mine tends to work extremely hard when off roading - low box high revs - having twin fans was a good move - the more modern MU's have a single fan as standard which says it all really
the first thing i will be doing to my VX is fitting an electric fan and then using the alternator belt from a trooper V6 with an electric fan as it doesn't have the viscious drive shaft and yes all the temperatures i posted are in degrees celsius :bwgr:
cheers
Steve

orion
05/19/2008, 12:10 AM

I just crawled around Moab for four days and my electric fan did an excellent job of cooling. if you are only looking for a cooler engine, a fan alone wont do it, you'll need to change to a colder thermostat. and the stock fan cools the same as an electric.

etlsport
05/19/2008, 05:27 AM
if you are looking for a cooler engine why not put another fan in addition to the stock one.. thats what i did.. i have it wired independently from any other circuits so its just a simple switch that turns it on and off, only turn it on when sitting in traffic or on a trail.. usually saw temp drops of 10-15 degrees at idle/ low speeds

although i havent needed to use it much since i replaced my fan clutch on the main fan, i really havent been overheating

here is the one i installed though, its 10"

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/air_horn_008.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9825)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/air_horn_011.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=9826)

tom4bren
05/19/2008, 10:00 AM
It sounds to me that Eric's approach is the best for your needs - just suppliment the existing fan. The wiring is much simpler since you really don't even need to add a thermostat - just a simple switch to turn it on and off when you want.

CoastieCosta567
05/19/2008, 01:32 PM
nice, i likey, good one bro, thanx, i'll do that.

Ascinder
05/19/2008, 01:55 PM
FYI you can fit 2 12" fans side by side the way etlsport did his if you remove the stock electric fan.

castigan
05/24/2008, 07:43 PM
im more keen on a electric fan for the loss of the noise the stock fan makes... its like a jet taking off!!!

SilverBullet75
05/24/2008, 09:41 PM
Question:
Would this mod help with A/C condenser or evaporator (whichever is attached to the radiator) airflow at a stand still?

My A/C is working fine. I just have to be moving to get cold. It hasn't hit 110 degrees yet, but I'm afraid of when it does and I'm in traffic...
Thanks!
---JIM---

etlsport
05/26/2008, 06:04 PM
i thought i noticed a difference in the temp of my ac at a stand still.. could be imagined though, ill take some temp measurements on a hot day if i think about it

castigan, it sounds like your fan clutch is going.. the vx fan gets LOUD when that happens.. otherwise i never really thought anything of the noise it makes, my electric fan whirring is actually louder than the stock fan

castigan
11/14/2008, 11:00 PM
i want a electric fan to make the ROAR that the factory fan makes go away... i dont care about hp or so on.... just that damn noise when you are at low revs !!

etlsport
11/15/2008, 01:07 PM
that roar is caused by a bad fan clutch, replacing the fan and fan clutch (usually sold together anyway) will take care of it

SilverBullet75
11/15/2008, 01:19 PM
I was going to say... I haven't heard that kind of roar...??
Mine's pretty quiet.

Ldub
11/15/2008, 01:43 PM
Cue up 70's Canadian songbird Helen Reddy...

I am fan clutch, hear me roar

With a noise hard to ignore

And I make you want to cool with electric-a-fa-annnn...:rolleyesg