View Full Version : I found this write up on the vx

Rene M
05/09/2008, 03:10 PM
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FullTests/articleId=44300

Lunar Rovers for Everyone!

By B. Grant Whitmore Email
Date posted: 01-01-1999
STORY TOOLS
Print thisPrint this Save thisSave this Digg this storyDigg this!
Email thisEmail this Most PopularMost popular del.icio.usdel.icio.us

Upon first sighting an Isuzu Vehicross, viewers are likely to turn their head sideways and scratch their chin in undisguised bemusement as they try to figure out this strange automobile. Looking like a cross between a hormonally imbalanced egg and a child's schoolyard plaything, the Vehicross defies easy categorization. Its tall body and healthy ground clearance give the Vehicross the look of a purposeful sport-utility vehicle. Its stubby front and rear overhangs, compact dimensions, Recaro racing seats, carbon fiber-esque interior trim pieces, and severely raked lines give the Vehicross a sports-car-like appearance. The Vehicross' dent-resistant bodyside cladding and peculiar headlights make this vehicle look like something out of the early days of the space program. No matter what it looks like to you, one glance will tell you that it isn't for everyone.

Fortunately, Isuzu is not trying to sell this odd-looking auto to everyone. The Vehicross will be sold in limited numbers in the United States and Japan as an image vehicle. Nearly all manufacturers sell image vehicles to increase a customer's overall awareness of a specific manufacturer or brand. Chevrolet sells the Corvette to pack the house with Lumina and Malibu buyers; Dodge brings 'em in with the Viper in an attempt to sell more Neons and Intrepids. The theory goes that enthusiasm for one vehicle that you may not want to drive every day and can't possibly afford will spill onto the manufacturer's models that do suit your purpose and that you can afford. Sure, whatever. The point is, the Vehicross is a rolling advertisement for the Isuzu brand, and whether you like it or not is of little consequence; it's an excitingly different SUV who's name and maker you are likely to remember long after the mother ship has beamed it aboard. So, don't worry when you look at the Vehicross and think that no one is going to buy it; Isuzu is not planning on selling the Vehicross to that many people.

The people who will buy the Vehicross are likely to fall into a specific demographic: fit and active young men and women who like being stared at as they drive by. How do we know this? Well, the Vehicross that we drove was a special-edition Ironman model (as in the Triathlon of the same name) that attracted the enthusiastic attention of very fit young men and women. We doubt that many paunchy baby boomers or chain-smoking Gen Xers would be caught dead driving such a serious and sporty off-road vehicle.

Strange looks aside, the Vehicross is a serious vehicle. It would be a mistake to place the Vehicross in the same mental category as the ill-fated Suzuki X-90. The Suzuki, like the Isuzu, was an oddly expressive sport-utility vehicle that was supposed to appeal to a young, enthusiastic audience. Unfortunately for Suzuki, there was nothing backing up the X-90's lively image. Performance was sub-par, and the trucklet lasted for only two years before Suzuki pulled the plug. Certainly, the same thing might happen to the Vehicross in this fickle market, but at least it won't be because the truck is a gutless wonder.

The Isuzu Vehicross is based on the Japanese-market two-door Trooper, sharing with that truck a 3.5-liter DOHC V6 engine that makes 215 horsepower and 230 foot-pounds of torque. These numbers make the Vehicross the most powerful two-door sport-utility vehicle on the market. Straight-line performance with this engine is enthusiastic, as the truck launches from a standstill with fervent purpose. Mid- and high-range power is equally good, providing drivers with excellent passing power in fast-moving traffic. We did not have time to conduct calibrated performance testing with the Vehicross, but we found our internal excitement meter hovering in the rarefied air of Jeep Grand Cherokee territory every time we stomped the gas pedal; a strong testament to the Vehicross' willingness to perform.

Isuzu has equipped the Vehicross with its Torque-on-Demand (TOD) four-wheel-drive system in an effort to improve the truck's performance under all conditions. When driving in a straight line in dry weather, TOD allows the Vehicross to operate much like a rear-wheel-drive truck, directing nearly all of the engine's power to the rear axle, thereby minimizing wear on the front axle and maximizing fuel efficiency. As soon as TOD detects wheelspin at one of the rear tires, the system can divert up to 50 percent of the engine's power to the front axle, keeping the Vehicross pointed in a straight line. TOD does this by monitoring such things as accelerator pedal angle, vehicle speed, wheelspin, and other parameters to determine which tires are receiving the best grip. Torque-on-Demand is transparent to the driver, and does not require activation; as long as the Vehicross is turned on, TOD is engaged. Our week with the Vehicross was unseasonably warm and arid, but we did notice that the TOD system improved our dry-road driving experience by limiting wheelspin in corners and helping us achieve fast acceleration with insignificant wheelspin. Edmund's staff members are fans of any four-wheel-drive system that improves handling without complicated instructions or operation procedures.

The Vehicross has a sturdy suspension to accompany its powerful engine and high-tech four-wheel-drive system. At the front of the truck is a double-wishbone suspension with a torsion bar; at the rear is a four-link coil suspension. The real news, however, is the inclusion of 6061-T8 extruded aluminum monotube gas shocks with expansion chambers at all four corners of the Vehicross. This aerospace-designed shock absorber keeps shock gas and oil separate, thereby limiting cavitation and aeration, which allows the shocks to maintain maximum dampening ability under the harshest off-road rampage. Isuzu is the only manufacturer to fit a factory vehicle with such impressive shock absorbers. The resultant on- and off-road ride indicates that it was money well spent—the Vehicross' flat and neutral cornering attitude made it one of the best-handling sport-utes we had ever driven.

Unfortunately, the Vehicross' impressive handling and extreme appearance comes at a price: interior comfort. The driver and front-seat passenger are coddled in racy Recaro seats, but back-seat passengers might as well be sitting on a park bench, the flat unsupportive rear chairs are for decorative purposes only. Fake carbon trim adorns much of the interior, and is heavily slathered on the door panels. This makes it difficult to rest one's arm on the windowsill, which is positioned rather high, thanks to the truck's elevated beltline, because elbows slide too easily off the glass-smooth surface. Yes, there are armrests built into the doors of the Vehicross, but they are so narrow that only the severely undernourished might be able to fit their elbow and forearm onto on of them.

Visibility in the Vehicross is about as good as one could expect from, say, a letter slot. The steeply raked windshield makes it difficult to see stoplights when the Vehicross is the first car at an intersection. The thick C- and D-pillars afford rear-seat passengers a view that would seem restricted to an inmate who just came out of solitary confinement. The rear tire hump blocks rearward vision to such a degree that one of our drivers had to ask his wife get out of the truck to help him parallel park on a tightly packed street; an embarrassing situation for any self-respecting automotive journalist. Overall, the Vehicross is a better truck to be seen in than to see out of.

We think that the Vehicross works in its mission as an image vehicle. Bewildered stares followed us like puppies after a milk bone, and the response we got from the people who had the courage to approach the truck and give it a closer look was enthusiastic. Certainly, this is the most interesting and innovative SUV design on the road, even if form does not follow function quite as much as we would like. This funky Isuzu also has a performance package that will make some shoppers sit up and take notice. Right out of the gate, the Vehicross offers convincing performance numbers that will appeal to those who love to have a good time behind the wheel of their truck. Would I buy one? Heck no, I'm too out of shape for a truck like this, but my friend the marathon runner thinks it's the bomb.

So, what's the name of the funny SUV? Vehicross! Who sells it? Isuzu! Right. Now go buy an Amigo; the Vehicross is too damn weird for you.

JoFotoz
05/09/2008, 04:53 PM
""We doubt that many paunchy baby boomers or chain-smoking Gen Xers would be caught dead driving such a serious and sporty off-road vehicle.""

Damn...does that mean I've gotta stop smoking and shed a few pounds..:confused:

jo

Rene M
05/09/2008, 04:54 PM
:smack:

rowhard
05/09/2008, 05:26 PM
But Jo, we are young and thin in our own minds,... as sick as they are :)

JoFotoz
05/09/2008, 09:57 PM
Way young...way sick ..and the mirror says I'm thin!!!....:rolleyes:
(Hey..I own the mirror!!!)

But Jo, we are young and thin in our own minds,... as sick as they are :)

Ah But...

Youth and exuberance will NEVER outweigh .......

.......age and treachery :cool:

jo

VehiGAZ
05/10/2008, 06:10 AM
Nice find Rene! I kind of thought that I'd read all of the VehiCROSS reviews at this point, but I never came across this one.

They make an interesting point there at the end - A lot of people are going to like it, but only a few of them (um, meaning US) have the right type of extroverted personality to actually say, "Hell yeah! I'll drive around in one of those things!"

Rene M
05/10/2008, 09:32 AM
Nice find Rene! I kind of thought that I'd read all of the VehiCROSS reviews at this point, but I never came across this one.

They make an interesting point there at the end - A lot of people are going to like it, but only a few of them (um, meaning US) have the right type of extroverted personality to actually say, "Hell yeah! I'll drive around in one of those things!"

I love my little VX i have wanted one for years. the fist time i saw one i thought it was just plain ugly. Then i sort of fell for them..
i get that all the time, What the hell is that?
to make matters worse i have de badged mine so it does not have an Isuzu logo any where on it and " for fun" slip on another brand name, Honda,BMW,etc.
So i am responsible for causing pure havoc around Austin. I have reports of people asking for one @ Honda.. lol

WormGod
05/12/2008, 08:13 AM
Chain smoking.... Gen X'ing...... bah, just because B. Grant Whitmore faught in WWI doesnt mean he knows anything about my culture. :bgwo:

Fun article to read. Thanks.