PDA

View Full Version : Any MG lovers here

rowhard
05/07/2008, 06:52 PM
Well, looky here. Being the owner on 7 MG's over the years this one strikes my fancy. http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/autoexpressnews/221445/reborn_mg_tf_is_ready_at_last.html

johnnyapollo
05/07/2008, 07:34 PM
I've owned a handful of MGs, an Austin Mini, a couple of Triumphs and a Jag. Thanks for the link.

-- John

etlsport
05/07/2008, 07:36 PM
very cool.. i love MGs.. never owned one but my ex girlfriends brother had one he was restoring.. very cool.. since then ive fancied them.. yea that new one is pretty sexy

Bulldoggie
05/07/2008, 08:09 PM
I had an "A" and a "B".
I thought the "A" was awesome..... except.....
I hated the Lever style shocks, and the Wire wheels are not made for high speed or bumps.
Not too fond of the Wintworth wrench sizes, or the non-syncro 1st gear either.
The "B" had Wire wheels too, but had a wrench to remove the knock-offs, the "A"'s you could change your spare with a rock.

Oh...the Mazda MX-5, Far and away, Better

rowhard
05/08/2008, 03:24 AM
Bulldoggie, those lever shocks with up rate valves worked rather nicely, and you didn't like the straight cut first gear, and here I thought you were a gear head, always slide in nicely at 2-3mph. From reverse of netural, if you engaged 2 or 3 first, would then slide right in but then that rule applied to all boxes. I'm with you though on those wrenches.

johnnyapollo
05/08/2008, 06:34 AM
The MK2S Jag I had was a RHD and came with a full set of "spanners" to adjust the diff - I got so into the restoration that I had the full kit chromed and the box re-felted. It also came with a set of "flasher" lenses in another kit - it was a real Euro tourer (the "S" version had an extended frame and larger trunk for long trans-Euro trips).

The issue with the Armstrong "airplane" shocks was that they'd all been around so long they're just worn out - put on a new set and the difference is pretty amazing. You have to remember that they were invented before McPhearson struts were commercially available and were pretty much the best thing going for the time.

-- John

Bulldoggie
05/08/2008, 07:06 AM
Bulldoggie, those lever shocks with up rate valves worked rather nicely, and you didn't like the straight cut first gear, and here I thought you were a gear head, always slide in nicely at 2-3mph. From reverse of netural, if you engaged 2 or 3 first, would then slide right in but then that rule applied to all boxes. I'm with you though on those wrenches.

I did LOVE it.
It ran like a top, I think the only repair I made, was cleaning the fuel strainer in the rear mounted electric fuel pump.
My lever shocks leaked, so I was adding oil monthly:(
I had a Wire wheel turn into a pile of spokes after bumping a curb in the rain, so you can imagine how hard it was to keep them true with pot holes and such.
The gear box was easy to get used to, the short throw was fun
I wish I still had it.:(

My side view mirrors were mounted near the front of the fenders, like the Japanese VX, and totally removes any blind spots

circmand
05/08/2008, 07:33 AM
The best British iron for the working man

newthings
05/08/2008, 10:33 AM
A local here in the NW corner of Oregon has one for sale. It is running and cheap. If you want the details, I can hook you up. I have not seen it, but could put the personal eyeball on it.
Roy