PDA

View Full Version : VX Insurance

Mark B
05/05/2008, 12:26 PM
So living in Florida can be great, BUT. I have been insured with State Farm insurance for car and house since the Dinosaurs roamed the earth. To long to tell my age.
Florida over the past few years has a serious problem with insurance from all the hurricanes we have had. Our insurance rates have gone out the roof.
State Farm is cancelling homeowners insurance for all prople who live in a coastal flood area. I live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida about 1/4 mile from Tampa Bay. My homeowners insurance will be cancelled in August.
So I am telling State Farm to take a hike on my auto insurance.
My question is I will be shopping for new auto insurance for my VX.
For anyone who has VX insurance could you give me help. Who insures your VX? I will be calling them for quotes.
Thanks.

JHarris1385
05/05/2008, 12:37 PM
Gieco here. Its cheap and they have been very helpfull at all hours of the day.

tom4bren
05/05/2008, 01:01 PM
All my insurance is with USAA so no help for you there (unless you're retired military). My SeaDoos are insured with Progressive. They seem good to work with but I haven't had to file a claim with them yet.

nfpgasmask
05/05/2008, 02:01 PM
I use Liberty Mututal and they have been good to me.

But here is my advice, do what I did, move the heck outta Florida!!

;) Bart

PS - I do miss the Alternative Record Store and Merlin's Games. Are those stores still there?

Dumke
05/05/2008, 02:10 PM
Farmers here and just went up from what it was but I have been with them since I was 16 and then some, parents used to be with them for longest time as well. They work with me and I dont mind paying the extra here and there for what they do for me.

Chopper
05/05/2008, 03:15 PM
Farmers here as well. No issues, (no claims) Tower Hill for the home. State Farm bailed on us a few years back, after thirty some claim free years....home and car. We dumped their car insurance in retaliation.

rowhard
05/05/2008, 03:34 PM
All my insurance is with USAA so no help for you there (unless you're retired military). My SeaDoos are insured with Progressive. They seem good to work with but I haven't had to file a claim with them yet.

So, they will do retired military. Do you need to get it with in 2 years of retiring? Ran into that problem with the other one that does military.

State Farm, yea, I had them for years but got to expensive so went with COSTCO's Ameriprise, was a little cheaper. Our manufactured home is with them and they just dropped the earthquake coverage which had always been included since they ride the wave pretty good. I am currently looking for new home insurance.

Pepino
05/05/2008, 05:01 PM
I know everyone is going to say that im crazy and that im so dumb but guess what i havent insured my Vx since i have had it, everyone can hate me lol but i think insurance here is so expensive i dont have a social security number and dont have an american drivers license and i am here as a student with my student visa, i cant get a social security number because i dont work and i dont have to get an american driving license for a year, my Mexican driver license works here, and no im not an illegal who swam through the border lol
i tried getting insurance but everywhere i looked i didnt get below 1000 dollars each month, In Mexico we insure all of our cars for like maybe 50 dollars a year for each of our cars its so cheap! and it works really good
so what im trying to do is send my VX to Mexico i cant legalize i becaus eit was made in japan and you can only legalize cars made in America but my dad has some contacts that can "Legalize" it as it is so i could get insurance in mexico bring it back to wisconsin and then im done, but i would have to send it back to mexico like every six months

taylorRichie
05/05/2008, 06:54 PM
Pepino shame shame... I was hit by an uninsured emigrant worker, and it cost me big time... Do us all a favor and get some insurance.

===========

I'm with State Farm, as is my entire family... we've had a ton of claims over the years (7 kid in my family) And they've always treated us well.

When My truck was destroyed up in the hills (by vandals) they initially offered $8,000 for the settlement. I provided them with pictures and receipts for everything, and I ended up settling for $21,000, and it wasn't a battle.

Good luck!

Gussie2000
05/05/2008, 08:38 PM
I insure my UFO with 21st century insurance,now merge with AIG.

Give them a call.they work great for me so far :)

Solitude
05/05/2008, 09:38 PM
Progressive through an independant agent.. for a long time..now hartford

seems to be pretty good

WormGod
05/06/2008, 07:11 AM
Eesh, that blows. I have my VX on State Farm with "below 7,500 miles a year" and pay only $40 a month. Guess it pays to NOT live in Florida. :(

I have a bunch of friends who recently jumped to Progressive. They claim they got much better quotes than anywhere else. I can only go by what I was told since I have never gotten a quote from them.

tom4bren
05/06/2008, 08:38 AM
"So, they will do retired military. Do you need to get it with in 2 years of retiring? Ran into that problem with the other one that does military."

Row, I'll call them & find out for Ya. Done - sent you a PM

I H8 to diss anyone but I blacklisted State Farm years ago. They rate very high in customer satisfaction & when I was in 2 different accidents with their customers (both their fault) they were good to work with ... BUT. They screwed me in my divorce & caused me to pay my EX's auto insurance for almost a year. Long story - you don't really want to know.

CoastieCosta567
05/06/2008, 06:39 PM
i was with state farm and paid 150 on just my VX, but then i switched to Allstate and now i pay 135 for my Vx and my wifes 09 lancer. I have full coveridge on both cars with accedent forgiveness and road side assistence. plus i'm not 25 yet and eather is my wife. And i'm using florida allstate insurance. I'm in the militery and married so thats some plus points to get lower rates, but it's just a small discount. and i have a perfect driving record with now accendents and no tickets, but for my wife it's another story. So i say give them a call and see what they will quote you. it's deffently the cheapesit i have seen.

Mrs. CRNCNN
05/06/2008, 08:20 PM
We are with American Family Insurance and they are awesome!! For full coverage on my 2001 jeep cherokee and full coverage on the VX we pay 158.00 a month!

So-CalVX
05/06/2008, 11:19 PM
dunno if anyones ever heard of Wawanesa but they insure my 00 Ram and my VX for just under $200 a month and I don't have a very good record. Full coverage on both.

Ldub
05/07/2008, 06:29 AM
I know everyone is going to say that im crazy and that im so dumb but guess what i havent insured my Vx since i have had it, everyone can hate me lol but i think insurance here is so expensive i dont have a social security number and dont have an american drivers license and i am here as a student with my student visa, i cant get a social security number because i dont work and i dont have to get an american driving license for a year, my Mexican driver license works here, and no im not an illegal who swam through the border lol
i tried getting insurance but everywhere i looked i didnt get below 1000 dollars each month, In Mexico we insure all of our cars for like maybe 50 dollars a year for each of our cars its so cheap! and it works really good
so what im trying to do is send my VX to Mexico i cant legalize i becaus eit was made in japan and you can only legalize cars made in America but my dad has some contacts that can "Legalize" it as it is so i could get insurance in mexico bring it back to wisconsin and then im done, but i would have to send it back to mexico like every six months

I don't know if you're planning to go to Moab or not, but if you are, stay the hell away from me.
I have NO time for those who are too ignorant or irresponsible to carry insurance, & will most likely report you to the nearest authorities, just to get you off the road.
Do I make myself clear???:mad:

BTW, I'm with Progressive.

taylorRichie
05/07/2008, 06:49 AM
BTW my insurance is less than $120 for:
2000 VX full coverage
1998.5 Audi A4 Full Coverage
2008 Vespa GTS 250 ie full coverage

With State Farm... My house is also insured with them.

Utah must have pretty low rates...

WormGod
05/07/2008, 07:08 AM
BTW my insurance is less than $120 for:
2000 VX full coverage
1998.5 Audi A4 Full Coverage
2008 Vespa GTS 250 ie full coverage

With State Farm... My house is also insured with them.

Utah must have pretty low rates...

Yep, getting a huge insurance package with the same insurance is always gonna yield a better price. I have my VX, WRX, and home insurance on State Farm. They consider it a package, but my vehicle and home are paid in different statements. I cant complain really, especially since I have had a few claims on my cars in the passed 5 years, none of which increased my premium.

Both cars, combined monthly, I pay roughly $120 - full coverage with the WRX driven over 15k miles a year and less than 7,500 on the VX.

Of course, age, driving record, claim history, and location always play a pretty big factor, so there is no such thing as that "One Universal Rate", heh.

rowhard
05/07/2008, 01:12 PM
Ldub, I couldn't say it any better if I tried.:grino:

JGeorge264
05/07/2008, 02:36 PM
Farmers here, for $299 total a month we have:

full coverage 99 vx
full coverage 01 dodge dually (sp?)
liability 86 nissan 300zx (with 18 yr. old son as the registered driver - $115 right off the top for that one.)
full coverage on 01 Raptor quad, 05 yfz450 quad,
full coverage on 19' toy hauler trailer,
full coverage 16' flat bed trailer,
and
full coverage Bayliner 16' bass boat

JGeorge264
05/07/2008, 02:42 PM
almost forgot - Amen LDub!

JoFotoz
05/07/2008, 02:49 PM
pepino...you inspired me!

"Inspired me" to learn how to use the IGNORE function on this site for the first time ever.

But just before I drop your sad a@@ into the black hole.....

....may I say that the sooner you get nailed for a rolling stop ,the better.
Something simple..NO OTHER PARTIES INVOLVED....ya know...no hurt/dead people...no costly repairs for a 3rd party that YOU are not covered for.

You wanna play...ya gotta pay.
Only COMPLETE arrogance allows YOU to justify your actions.:mad:

Now...where is that IGGY button...ah there it is.....

......ZAP.....yer gone.

jo

Pepino
05/07/2008, 05:25 PM
lol everyone is against me i see how it is lol
i understand all of you perfeclty fine, but i dont have a job and just for being an international student and not having a social security number my rates go up to at least 1000 a month, i dont have money...
i know that no matter how good of a driver you are accidents can and will happen, all of you can hate me but why is insurance so expensive here in america and more in wisconsin i have looked and looked and looked and cant get cheaper than 1000.
believe me i know how stupid it is driving without insurance but it was either get a fuel eficent car and instead of paying for so much gas i could get insurance or getting the best car in the world (the VX) and using the money that could go for insurance in gas.
i am still looking for insurance and trying to come up with the money for it
but dont worry at the end of this month i wont be driving an uninsured car for at least 3 months when i come back to america
i know you all hate me but i still love you lol

Ldub
05/07/2008, 05:31 PM
but why is insurance so expensive here in america and more in wisconsin i have looked and looked and looked and cant get cheaper than 1000.

It's because there is a never ending supply of ash hats like yourself that drive without insurance...the rest of us get to pay for your inconsiderate ways through higher premiums...THANKS

And you can knock off the cutesy "lol" crap any time.

VXIRONwoMAN
05/07/2008, 06:02 PM
Be careful Pepino... If you end up getting nailed by a cop for a silly traffic stop and they find out you have no insurance... you may get your student visa revoked. And that wouldn't be good.

Sorry everyone on here seems to be using you as a punching bag for all the millions of uninsured drivers out there.

Pepino
05/07/2008, 06:09 PM
its okay i understand them but they are not in my shoes...
3 months ago a frienf of mine got hit by an uninsured drunk driver, he almost killed my friend, the guy had no insurance no money he is in jail now.
I come here to ask about insurance and to see how it works here and i get called names and everything just because i dont know, i think insurance here works way different than insurance in Mexico.
sorry for my ignorance about this subject, i just wanted help but i got something else.

taylorRichie
05/07/2008, 06:31 PM
Being new here I was pretty "easy going" in my first response... Didn't want to turn anyone off.

You say... They're not in my shoes... well... you're not in ours...

I have had to pay out of POCKET, ~$1,000 for a claim because of an uninsured motorist. I could have gone after them civilly but it's really not worth it.. It would have cost me over $1,000 in my time alone.

If you can't afford insurance how do you have a VX. And since you can't afford insurance (even liability) then you should take the bus.

Do us all a favor, sell the VX, buy a metro, and then you should have the money to keep it insured for a while.

Pepino
05/07/2008, 06:44 PM
ill save the money and will get insurance, in the next week... ill work it out
i understand all the hostility and i am in your shoes too, if i get hit by an uninsured driver its even worse for me so i think i know how bad is to be uninsured.
well i dont completly understand how insurance works but for everyones good ill get it as soon as possible, ill get my american driving license this weekend hopefully that will bring the price a little.
I spend at least 20K a semester for school living expenses and car maintenance,
my dad is the one with the money he is the one who gave me a price range and i chose th VX he bought it for me, but i thought i was already making him spend too much money on me so i didnt want him spending another 2K dollars a year, but ill see how much money ill come up with this week and ill get it

Ldub
05/07/2008, 07:41 PM
[QUOTE=Pepino;126537]I come here to ask about insurance and to see how it works here and i get called names and everything just because i dont know,QUOTE]

Lets clear something up...no one jumped on your case for asking a question.
You voluntarily shared information that you have never insured your VX...
Seriously, you're college educated, what did you expect?... congratulations? :rolleyesg

I commend you for making an effort to get insured, but sometimes, thinking things through before posting them on a public forum, is in your best intrest. :smilewink

Pepino
05/07/2008, 07:56 PM
i agree with you it was stupid of me to post before thinking, i wasnt expecting such a strong reaction or anything like that. ill keep that in mind and still thanks for making me wake up on the insurance subject, i never thought it was such a big deal i didnt know what could happen without it, but i did my research now and understand everything.
without that strong reaction i would have stayed in the dark side, the evil side, the ignorant side.
thanks for making me come to sense

JoFotoz
05/07/2008, 08:18 PM
I see some blanks..IGNORE WORKS!

I bet pepino is unloading 'poor student me' excuses.

Go look at pepino's "gallery"...

He BRAGS...

My Mustangs
My Mini cooper
My Prowlers
My Jeep
My porche

...yet "IT" happily vaunts about having no insurance.

( To quote an awesome movie).......you are a fargin icehole.

....JMHO

jo

PS...sorry if I'm venting...but I've seen several friends almost bankrupt because of uninsured (drivers) iceholes!

Pepino
05/07/2008, 08:24 PM
those are my dads the only car i own its My VX but while i am in emxico i drive the other ones. i am the poor one my dad is the one with the money i just dont want him spending more on me

JHarris1385
05/07/2008, 10:30 PM
Jo i think he got the point the first time. You are a little harsh.

Wrecks involving patrons without insurance are what attorney's are for anyways.

WormGod
05/08/2008, 07:20 AM
3 months ago a frienf of mine got hit by an uninsured drunk driver, he almost killed my friend, the guy had no insurance no money....

Ooooooh, do I have a story I could share with you that strums that exact same tune then....

I'll just leave it with this Cliffsnote....

http://wormgod.8m.com/Images/vx6.jpg

The drunk, uninsured, non US citizen that hit me head-on did not live. Had he had insurance, I would have been covered. Had he lived, I could have sued (for what.... who knows). Alas, after 5 years of a lot of lawyers shrugging and looking around, I had to claim it ALL on my auto insurance to pay for my surgeries, my passenger's injuries, my loss if pay and such from being out of work, etc, etc, etc....

Ya man, get some insurance. I realise a lot of non citizens are here for pleasure, school, work, whatever, but those of us who have to live here and abide by every little law in the book end up getting burned for all of the fine print. I am not part of the lynching crowd, but it is good advice and if anything, could save you from getting the skin sued off of your back if something were to happen. :)

Pepino
05/08/2008, 07:39 AM
that happened to you? thats so bad! how are you now?
was he an illegal Mexican?
Actually everytime we are here on vacation we always get international insurance for whatevere the time we spend in America.
But anyway thanks everyone for the advice!

JoFotoz
05/08/2008, 08:12 PM
harris...yer right...I was a "Little" harsh...I SHOULD OF BEEN "lots" HARSH

Jo i think he got the point the first time. You are a little harsh..

...come live in Socal...
...come experience the devastation that victims of the uninsured endure.
(WormGods example should be more than enough)

As For...

Wrecks involving patrons without insurance are what attorney's are for anyways.

....:eek:

Let the lawyers profit...and the injured/damaged spend ....yet often not recoup.

DUDE......how about nip the problem in the bud...
...so we dont need lawyers?

Nuff said!

jo

JoFotoz
05/08/2008, 08:33 PM
Hi pepino....I 'see ' you again...:o

I got a load of PM's...several saying I was harsh,
..many more saying I was voicing their unspoken feelings

I was told you are gonna step up...and PAY TO PLAY....so I un-iggied you
(is there such a word??)

GOOD FOR YOU...:p

Sorry for the invectives/diatribe/vituperation/abuse..:p

Dude...Ya voiced something that many of us hate....
....arrogant indifference to the fate of others..... :mad:

I'm glad the LOUDLY voiced opinions of all here , led you to rethink your stance.

No harm..no foul...just a good result all round !....:bgwp:

ATB...hope we are good.

jo

Thmstec
05/08/2008, 09:30 PM
Well, I'm kinda late to the party for this thread..... But I'm 18 with a clean record and USAA insures my car and 3 others for my family. It is going to end up costing me $843 every six months. But I've got an 800$ deductible and less than "full" coverage. :(

JHarris1385
05/09/2008, 05:17 AM
Im glad he did post that info here. If he had not maybe he would never get insurance. But obviously since he did he heard some stong opinions and it might have changed his stance. I understand his point though, Mexican car insurance is second to none, like he said it is practically free. So being young as he and putting myself in his shoes going from practically free insurance (prolly paid for by his father) to on his own and expensive I understand why the risk was taken. Car insurance is not looked at the same here as in Mexico, so his initial opinion prior to cost was cloudy as well.

I just got a quote on my VX, my soon to be wife's Explorer, and my firebird for $123.67 a month full coverage through Geico.

taylorRichie
05/09/2008, 07:46 AM
I'm confused...

I thought you were saying insurance was going to be way expensive for you... $2,000 / year isn't expensive!! Even if you're broke. That's way less then the price of gas :D

I thought you were saying $2,000 /month or something, And I figured, whoa... must be some working visa weird insurance issue.

Kudos on working toward insurance!

Mr.Badguy
05/10/2008, 06:40 PM
I have had Progressive insurance, full coverage, on my VX since i got it 2 and a half years ago. I have had to file a claim when i was hit last year, but they were good to deal with. a little perk is that they wave the first speeding ticket up to 14 mph over, so they know that everyone isn't perfect with their speed from time to time. i pay 1000 a year in NJ, and that's full coverage.

to the guy that doesn't have insurance (sorry, i forgot your ID), get insured. you are just going to be another person's headache one day, and you will get one of your own if you get pulled over or sued. It will happen.

CoastieCosta567
05/11/2008, 08:57 AM
*****Hey, U.S. Citizen or not there are all out there*****. don't start getting all crazy with people from other counrties living here. I lived in the US for 16 years waiting for my Greencard, and i couldn't drive till i was 21 and get insurance or even go to collage. Now i don't agree with you pepino, cuz i didn't drive and i obayed the law, and u know what, it pays off, cuz if i did and got pulled over i would of been deported back to Costa Rica, or even worse i could of killed some1 or hurt them if i got in an accedent. Now i'm doing my part as i believe, just my openion, I'm serving this country in the militery cuz of what it has given me and i'm thankful, so i think every1 one that comes to the U.S, should serve at least 1 term to give back to the country, Again thats just my openion. anyways Pepino I have to say don't drive with out being insured, not far for the rest of us who pay, cuz the day will come that you will have insurance and your ignorance now will cost you in the future and thats called Karma Bro. Be thankful you are here legally, are going to school, have a drivers licence, now all you need is insurace, find a way bro, just find a way.

Dare2Dream
05/12/2008, 03:10 PM
First off, I fully agree that there is no justification for not having insurance. If you feel insurance is too expensive, then you have the option of not owning a car. There is no excuse for reckless endangerment of other's life and property. Those who have stressed this point are absolutely correct. Insurance is a safeguard for all of us, and if it is expensive for you despite the hundreds of insurance companies, then there is a reason for it. If one can't afford a car (including insurance) than don't buy one. Walk, bike, use public transport, carpool, buy a motorbike, a cheaper car...

Secondly, need to make sure that we don't let issues like these turn into xenophobic discussions. Just as there may be some non-US citizens breaking the law, there are plenty of US citizens doing the same, and the opposite is also true. This is a serious issue and not about scoring xenophobic political points.

VehiGAZ
05/13/2008, 04:41 PM
I had a big realization yesterday while pricing out insurance for an addition to the stable...

The insurance for a 2006 Mini Cooper S valued at ~$21k was only about 5% more expensive than what I've been paying on the VX! WOW. VX insurance is just HIGH.

The gas savings on the Mini will pay for its insurance, though. :-)

Dare2Dream
05/13/2008, 10:32 PM
I tried insurance.com and they provided a comparison of various companies inclduing Liberty Mutual, Progressive, Esurance, etc. and even though it wasn't less than my Farmers, it is very close to it for Liberty Mutual. Good way to compare a few options.