PDA

View Full Version : Merlin is the MAN!!

MSHardeman
05/05/2008, 07:06 AM
If you've been following my other threads you know that I have been having a bizatch of a time getting the goofy little screws out of the retaining ring that hold the hub nut on. I just gave Merlin a call and two hub nuts with overnight shipping came to $30 (FAR less than it would have cost a mechanic to extract the screws for me) so now I have two new hub nuts coming and I will just drill the heads out of the stupid screws to get the retaining ring off. I don't feel too bad because Merlin said that even the technicians are constantly buggering these screws up.

Anyway, I told Merlin that he needed to make it out to Moab, but he said that St. Charles wouldn't pay for him to go but he was all excited when I told him that Moab was next week. I know it's too late this year, and with everything else going on with the Boss Man this may seem trivial, but we should try and get a fund going to get Merlin out to Moab next year. I know a lot of us have ordered from him, he's always helpful, and he gives us those "internet" discounts so I thought that it would be fun to finally meet him.

Whaddaya think?

nocturnalVX
05/05/2008, 07:52 AM
Anyway, I told Merlin that he needed to make it out to Moab, but he said that St. Charles wouldn't pay for him to go but he was all excited when I told him that Moab was next week. I know it's too late this year, and with everything else going on with the Boss Man this may seem trivial, but we should try and get a fund going to get Merlin out to Moab next year. I know a lot of us have ordered from him, he's always helpful, and he gives us those "internet" discounts so I thought that it would be fun to finally meet him.

Whaddaya think?

That's a great idea! I know he's helped out many of us here on VX.info, and it would be a very cool way to thank him for all his help. I'm in!

Joe Isuzu
05/05/2008, 08:00 AM
good idea, even though I know I'll not make it out to Maob anytime in the near future, I would be very willing to donate to a Merlin-road-trip fund. He's been very helpful and has saved a number of us beaucoup dollars!

rowhard
05/05/2008, 08:46 AM
Same here, not into beating up what is becoming a rare vehicle, but would certainly be willing to chip in. And I've never even talked to the man before, but I know he has been very helpful to many here.

MSHardeman
05/06/2008, 07:37 AM
Just talked to Merlin again (see bearing repack thread for reason) and I asked about his family because I would hate to offer to get him out to Moab while any wife and kids would have to sit at home. He has a wife and two little girls, and since we're one big "family" here, it only seems fitting that they should come too.

This may be a completely pie in the sky idea and I would have to really talk to Merlin to see if coming out to Moab is something that he really wants to do. I would also really offer just to get them out here and back and not to pay for their lodging, food, etc. If we really do buckle down and gather enough money in the next year to cover everything, then that would be great.

Thanks to all who have responded so far. I'll get a little more serious about this after Moab this year.

creeg
05/06/2008, 09:02 AM
Ill donate some money to that cause.

Dumke
05/06/2008, 09:50 AM
count me in as well. Woudl also need to make sure there will be room for all of them. I am sure there is but make room for 4 people in the passenger seat.

tom4bren
05/06/2008, 10:03 AM
You may need to start a petition requesting his presence, that way he may not need to take vacation time. If they get on board enough, they may sponsor him to attend in exchange for photos.

crager34
05/06/2008, 11:32 AM
I'll put him and his family up at my place for his stay here. He has saved me a few times and always remembers me when I call. :_beer:

etlsport
05/08/2008, 03:49 PM
just made my first order from merlin.. heater relay & EGR valve.. was very helpful great to talk VX with! count me in on helping him get to moab! (although i should try to make it too)

VXIRONwoMAN
05/08/2008, 08:01 PM
Count me in! He has saved me a few times and is always in good spirits! I would be more than happy to chip in, after this years Moab visit of course...

newthings
05/08/2008, 08:18 PM
I'm in.
Roy