PDA

View Full Version : missing roof thing?

So-CalVX
05/04/2008, 03:36 PM
im curious... this is what my VX looks like rackless

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/2/thumbs/securedownload.jpeg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=11102)

when i bought her she had the rack on with three little vehicross flaps/guards on
am i missing the covers for when the rack is off? and if i am.... are they expensive....
it'd probably be best to just invest in a fairing and run with the rack on huh?
thanx for any answers

Richard :P

Joe Isuzu
05/04/2008, 03:39 PM
there are 4 plastic covers that fill in the space when your rack is off the vehicle, from what I understand they likely are out of production b/c they seem to be a hot item in past threads

So-CalVX
05/04/2008, 03:41 PM
thanx bro...
i have three little things that have Vehicross molded on, that snap onto the actual rack over the bolts... anyone know what those are?

Joe Isuzu
05/04/2008, 03:45 PM
I believe they are flaps that cover some of the bolts for the OEM roof rack. They're just there to look nice and cover the bolts. It goes w/o saying there should be 4 of them. The rack should work just fine w/o the flaps but it would be nice to have all 4. Firstly, it gives it more of a completed look but also with them hiding some of the parts it helps just a little to keep the rack yours and not someone else's.

nfpgasmask
05/04/2008, 08:57 PM
Yes, the little doors cover the retaining bolts for the roof rack when it is on. You should have 4 of them.

http://www.nofuture.com/myvx/mods/roofrack.jpg

The plastic roof rail covers are almost as coveted as the roof rack itself. A few months back, a set of 4 went for an upwards of $500 on eBay, iirc, which is freakin' insane.

Bart

So-CalVX
05/04/2008, 10:43 PM
Nope. Just the three. Thats a small reason I don't run with my rack on. Does anyone know where I can get another? Could I buy them separately from merlin or are they a set? And forget that price on the covers. I can get a new set of tyres for that. Same with the price of the actual rack... WOW!

VehiGAZ
05/05/2008, 05:58 AM
You can try, but you're going to need a lot of luck finding any of these parts. The rack bolt covers only came as part of the whole rack kit from the dealer (which is also out of production).

Yes, the closing price for that set of rail caps was pretty surprising to everyone. Complete racks have routinely fetched over $350 in the last year. If my VX were to get totaled, I know parting it out would pay off big-time.

My suggestion is to keep an eye on eBay for someone selling a rack, buy it for the bolt covers, and resell the rest.

cyronman
05/05/2008, 06:00 AM
Hey SoCal,

don't get all excited just yet, but i think i MIGHT have 1 extra.
i'll check tonight.

Cy

taylorRichie
05/05/2008, 06:57 AM
I need one of those little plastic Vehicross bolt cover Flaps...

One is missing from my rack.

If anyone has any they'll sell Id like one as well.

Thanks!!

Sorry for the hijack.

nfpgasmask
05/05/2008, 08:16 AM
That's why on mine I drilled 4 little holes and cable tied them to my rack. This way they won't fall off and the cable ties don't look too bad, imo.

Bart

So-CalVX
05/05/2008, 11:07 AM
that would be sweet Cy, keep me posted. Thanx
and Bart. I like how u tied urs down. U wouldnt mind me stealing the idea if and when I get all my stuff together?

nfpgasmask
05/05/2008, 11:17 AM
Bart. I like how u tied urs down. U wouldnt mind me stealing the idea if and when I get all my stuff together?

Of course not. In fact, I recommend it, otherwise they will just fall off and get lost again.

Check the link in my sig for my page with how I did my mod.

Bart