PDA

View Full Version : Factory speaker locations and sizes...

coachreed
06/21/2003, 02:47 PM
I am getting things together in my VX for the system. I was told that the VX has 5¼" speakers in front and rear locations. Well, I don't know what the deal is, but my MB Quart 5¼" speakers are just a little bigger than the stockers... in all directions. OK, so I expected the motor structure of the stockers to be small, but figured that they would at least be the same size diameter cone as my Quart's. Not the case. I ended up putting a spacer in between the speaker bracket and the speaker just to get the magnet to clear but now I have another problem... the speaker holds the side panels out. Not too pretty... but I will deal with that.

I am now going to dive into my doors. I want to install a pair of JL Audio 6" components up there... since I have them on hand... no cost... but will they fit? If the fronts are the same as the rears, I'm not thinking so. I don't know what kind of space I have to deal with. My JL's are relatively small motor structure.

Anyway, I just wanted to see if anyone had any input on the speakers. Will my JL's fit up front? I don't want to modify my doors... at least not on the outside. I want it to look stock in these areas.... even though I will have monitors galore... along with a full fledge computer. Anywho... lemme know what ya think.

TTYL!

Coach... aka Randy!

PWX1
06/21/2003, 07:01 PM
just put in some 6" infinity speakers (from my son's kaput '87 trooper - blown header) up front today- popped right in- haven't messed with the rears- what's in there? they sound o.k. so i'll probably let them be.

Navigator
06/21/2003, 09:50 PM
6 1/2's up front anything from 3 1/2 to 5 1/4 rear. Best to remove the stock speakers then use them as reference when you buy new ones. I am runnig 6 1/2's up front with 5 1/4's in the mid panels, however depending on the manufacturer your results will vary as do size interpretations, which are not exact from one name brand to the next and even from model to model. So, like I said, remove your old speakers FIRST and use them as a reference.

coachreed
06/21/2003, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the replies. I got them in today... ran all of my speaker wires throughout the VX, installed 6.5 component JL Audio's up front... tight fit... MB Quart 5.25 in the rear... again, tight fit. I ran my speaker wires to the back door for my soon-to-be subwoofer enclosure... boy oh boy... want to talk about a tight fit! I squeezed four runs of speaker wires (one for each voice coil) AND my rear view camera cable all through the stock grommet/boot that the rear defroster wires go through! DAMN that was tough!

Anyway, I'm gonna throw my Eclipse DVD player in there tomorrow... but I am waiting on my circuit breaker, distro blocks, connectors for my 0 ga., and my power cap... guess I'll be cruising without tunes for a few days until that stuff shows up. :(

Anywho... hope to have SOME tunes back early this week... then I have to get to work on mounting monitors and other junk... like my computer! :D

I'll catch ya later!

Coach... aka Randy!

paultvx
06/22/2003, 02:40 AM
6.5" speakers fit in the front. You'll need to grind and trim the plastic mounting rings. Easy job with Dremel or RotoZip. Only a tiny bit of material needs to be removed to get the needed clearance.

In the rear 5.25" speakers will fit but you will have to remove the metal bracket and enlarge the hole... yet another job for the Dremel/RotoZip. Definitly use heavy duty cutting disks... otherwise it'd take a while and you'd be inhaling more metallic dust than you cared to. Been there done that.

Randy, how soon do you think you'll have a proto of that sub?

MrCrowley
06/22/2003, 12:37 PM
How does everyone cover their rear speakers? im sure 4" is best to keep factory cover. 51/4 may be ok with factory cover also. I have a pair of Infinity 61/2's in the barn id love to use. After tearing out factory rears I was definitely undecided as to remove the metal (where do I mount speakers except in the plastic) or bore the hole larger in the metal. Also the area around the speaker cover area looks like a funny angle to try to put an aftermarket cover except maybe a 6x9 cover. Any input would be appreciated. Good luck to you guys installing those mondo systems as I kind of see now what youre going through! If all else fails im gonna go with a power converter and throw my whole Onkyo component set in with all 9 house speakers. LOL!;Db;

Spike
06/22/2003, 01:03 PM
Arent 6.5" speakers a little small for a barn?

Well whenever I get my VX back from the garage, I want to start looking into speaker replacement as well as some of the other planned upgrades...

Anyone have any experience with the latest line of rounds from Sony?

They sound pretty good on the wall at the stores. But then again, that is just on the wall at the stores.

-------------------------------------------------------

Quoting Graham Nash about Neil Young:

"I once went down to Neil's ranch and he rowed me out into the middle of the lake -- putting my life in his hands once again.

He waved at someone invisible and music started to play, in the countryside. I realized Neil had his house wired as the left speaker, and his barn wired as the right speaker.

And Elliot Mazer, his engineer, said 'How is it?'

And Neil shouted back..."

"More Barn!"

Dallas4u
06/22/2003, 08:42 PM
I cut my rear metal brackets with tin snips and fit 6.5" Fosgates back there, at one time. I decided to try and fit 6x9" Infinitys... and I blew one. Now, I need to order a couple new metal brackets. As soon as I do, I'm modding them and putting some 6.5" Infinitys (same as the ones in my front doors) in those suckers. They handle more than the 6x9's did, and they sound great.

MrCrowley
06/23/2003, 07:39 PM
LOL they are a little small for a barn. They were out of my trooper front and before that out of my Delsol rear. Good speakers, but I found out after a warranty replace that Polk audios blow my infinitys away. so now the polks are in the VX front and soon i will have 61/2 all around. Just like my old delsol. I miss it too. 4 61/2's and 2 12's Alpine cd and eq and 3 amps in a 2 seater. Targa top off driving at night... sigh. After this, same setup in the ol' VX minus Targa.