PDA

View Full Version : My first accident ever....and it was in the VX : (

Triathlete
04/29/2008, 06:41 PM
So , while returning from my swim workout some yahoo in a compact car decides he wants to stop real quickly in front of me. I slam on the brakes and slide right into him. He decides to take off! So, after waiting 2 hours, the police show up only to determine its not in their jurisdiction. So, another 45 minutes later a deputy shows up and takes the report! I am fine! The VX didn't fair so well. Front cladding, radiator, radiator support are the damage I could see. The Zu guys said they will call me after they tear into it. So now to see if they can fix it before Moab!
Here is how it looks (camera phone pics...)
http://shutter15.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/20/006/51/BD/E9/90/UeogiSU+Rhm49L6W9XqapNln-zIY0ia20280.jpg

http://shutter14.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/20/006/7E/FF/03/AC/1ivovB4nUJ0Yom+lifHz62nGkU4n94IZ0280.jpg

http://shutter14.pictures.aol.com/data/pictures/21/003/6F/9E/77/89/8vGYU+TsmWEiivlxZ318eN1n-57OyN5u0280.jpg

Triathlete
04/29/2008, 06:43 PM
I am having them save the damaged cladding so I can try some mods (aka massive trimming) on it!

Ldub
04/29/2008, 06:56 PM
Billy...:sighwgray

Truly sorry to hear of your crash...that blows. :mad:
Glad you're OK.:thumbup:
Your VX looks like it's crying in the pic...& who could blame it?:sighwgray
Gee, I wonder if the other guy was insured???:rolleyesg

Maybe just patch the rad & support back together until after Moab? ...I think your approach angle might be slightly improved.:smilewink

Triathlete
04/29/2008, 07:03 PM
The VX is already in the shop being torn down...I hope the parts they need are available and they work fast! I told them I was on a time schedule. I hope to know more tomorrow. And yea, that was the fresh coolant I just changed Sunday "crying" out.

I am thinking the other guy either
a. had no insurance
b. had no lisence
c. was in the country illegally
d. had dope on board
e. was drunk
f. had warrants for his arrest
g. was scarred I was going to beat on him for slamming his brakes on in front of me!
h. any combination of the above

tomdietrying
04/29/2008, 07:10 PM
Billy,
Man, I'm sorry to hear that, but glad you're o.k. Hopefully, they can get her peiced up before Moab.
Peace.
Tom

So-CalVX
04/29/2008, 07:11 PM
I would be using option G if that happened to me. I'd prolly chase down the SOB

orion
04/29/2008, 07:17 PM
now is the time for a large steel bumper mod :naughty:

Triathlete
04/29/2008, 07:24 PM
now is the time for a large steel bumper mod :naughty:

That mod is already on the drawing board...waiting on the funding!

VX crazy
04/29/2008, 07:27 PM
Billy, glad your alright, and sorry about the accident. You know nothing is quick when it comes to getting replacement parts. I would tell them you will drop it off AFTER they get the parts they need. I bet its a good 4 wks at least just to find everything you need, take it to Moab and get it fixed afterward.....

Triathlete
04/29/2008, 07:32 PM
Unfortunately the radiator is not up to the trip! Fingers are crossed. Will find out more tomorrow. Then I will weigh the options.

LittleBeast
04/29/2008, 07:33 PM
Man, I am completely sorry, but hey if you don't get it fixed in time just fly to Houston and take my VX to Moab and I will meet you there..... lol. Seriously though I am glad you are ok, and I am sure your VX will be better than ever in no time. Let me know if you need any cladding screws.

navistar
04/29/2008, 07:46 PM
It does look like it's crying. Another possibility is that he took off because being rear ended by something alien and outer-space-like freaked him out.

Mr.Badguy
04/29/2008, 07:54 PM
Hey there! I kinda know what you are going through. i had a small front end collision with a kid in a pick-up truck. (i posted about this about a year ago) and was very worried about the time it would take to procure parts and replace them. i had my VX back in 6 days. they replaced the hood and front cladding along wih some other parts that you don't really see on the surface.

I actually think you are lucky that the other guy drove away. You may have been held liable and the cause of the accident because you didn't allow for stopping distance behind the vehicle. The other guy driving away surely had something to hide though.

Glad to hear you are well though, and with luck, you will be out there in MOAB with your VX.

Triathlete
04/29/2008, 07:57 PM
Thats what I want to hear Mr. Badguy! And yea, since the guy left the scene I wasn't sighted...that and the fact that I knew all the responding officers:cool:

Dumke
04/29/2008, 08:06 PM
Man That blows but glad your ok and hopefully will be fixed soon and will be in moab no sweat..

Man, I am completely sorry, but hey if you don't get it fixed in time just fly to Houston and take my VX to Moab and I will meet you there..... lol. Seriously though I am glad you are ok, and I am sure your VX will be better than ever in no time. Let me know if you need any cladding screws.

So does that mean beast is comming???
edit:: help if i read your other post... reading it now lol.

-sorry for thread jack.-

Pepino
04/29/2008, 08:12 PM
oh hells no! if that would have been me i would have kicked some you know what! omg when someone scratched my door i was ready to kill someone! i feel really bad for you basically crashing my VX is one of the worst things that could happen! if it was the other guy's fault i would have run after them and beat him up lol

pbkid
04/29/2008, 08:15 PM
wow thats really too bad billy....you could be cool like me and sport the VX a little dinged up:bwgy:....thats what i do because i dont have time or money for fixing the damages....

well the good news is that because your lifted you only hit your cladding and radiator and not like...hood, headlight, fender, cladding, bumper (thats what i got from a yukon in a parking lot).....
cant wait to see ya in moab

Triathlete
04/29/2008, 08:16 PM
if it was the other guy's fault i would have run after them and beat him up lol

Well I hit him so sort of my fault...even if he did slam his breaks on! Would have chased but the legs were tired from the 12 mile run and swim workout I had just finished (thats where I was coming from).

Triathlete
04/29/2008, 08:18 PM
well the good news is that because your lifted you only hit your cladding and radiator and not like...hood, headlight, fender, cladding, bumper (thats what i got from a yukon in a parking lot).....
cant wait to see ya in moab

But if it would have taken out the headlights I could have gotten some brand spanking shiney new ones!:eek:

Dumke
04/29/2008, 08:35 PM
But if it would have taken out the headlights I could have gotten some brand spanking shiney new ones!:eek:

Its called a wrench or hardest thing in your vx... Woops they both went out :p

Solitude
04/29/2008, 09:02 PM
Sorry to hear about your acK! adent Billy.. will keep my fingers crossed for ya

CrnCnn
04/29/2008, 09:16 PM
Glad you are ok... Hope to see you in Moab.

Talk about crappy timing

nocturnalVX
04/29/2008, 10:13 PM
:waab:

That's aweful... I hate hearing that a VX has been in an accident. I am glad you are OK, and hope to see you in Moab (with or without a pretty VX). Hope the repairs go fast! Again, glad you are OK. That is the most important thing after all.

VX crazy
04/30/2008, 02:50 AM
I hope its not long either, I know the accident I was in they said 4 days no problem, then started ripping apart and THAN discovered parts were hard to find, 5 wks later I get my truck back. The other guys insurance I am sure was not happy with pathfinder rental and $6500 in damage.......and my damage did not look as bad as yours.

MSHardeman
04/30/2008, 07:40 AM
NNNNNOOOOOOOO.....

Billy, I am SO sorry to hear this. The VX doesn't look TOO bad from the pictures so hopefully the shop will have her up and running in no time.

If worse comes to worse you could....GULP....rent a jeep in Moab.

VehiGAZ
04/30/2008, 08:05 AM
Its called a wrench or hardest thing in your vx... Woops they both went out :p

Too late for that - his pics of the VX immediately after the accident have been posted in a public forum. But you really did luck out that the guy took off, Tri.

Everyone please take note - the one who does the rear-ending is at fault, regardless of the actions of the guy who got rear-ended. From the perspective of the law (and insurance), if you hit someone from behind, you were following too close by definition (meaning that since you hit the guy in front of you, you clearly were following too close or not driving safely enough to avoid him and whatever antics he pulls).

Tri, I'm not trying to bust your stones for getting into this accident - I'm VERY happy for you that it worked out for you and your VX!!

Instead, consider this is a public service announcement. I've heard soooo many people over the years complain of getting cited for being at fault in this situation. Everyone who drives should know how the law and insurance companies view the situation.

nfpgasmask
04/30/2008, 09:19 AM
Dude, that is horribly bad timing. But, glad you are ok. Gitterdun before Moab, whatever it takes, bro!

Talk about bad timing, my wheel lock key somehow disappeared from the garage on Monday after I lifted. I tore the garage apart yesterday trying to find it, and all I can figure is that when I tightened it down after the lift, I pulled off my wrench and the key stayed on the locking nut, and didn't notice it. And then I drove away and it went bye bye. Anyway, I called McGard and they are FEDEXing me a new key for tomorrow. I get new meat on Saturday so I hope it arrives and is the right key!

Bart

tom4bren
04/30/2008, 09:32 AM
Billy,

Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope it all works out OK for you. It coulda been worse tho - you coulda been sammiched. That's how I lost Wifey's Amigo several years back.

JRSOBX
04/30/2008, 09:58 AM
Everyone please take note - the one who does the rear-ending is at fault, regardless of the actions of the guy who got rear-ended. From the perspective of the law (and insurance), if you hit someone from behind, you were following too close by definition (meaning that since you hit the guy in front of you, you clearly were following too close or not driving safely enough to avoid him and whatever antics he pulls).

State laws vary a little on this but in most states, the above statement is correct. I used to be an insurance adjuster....but I'm feeling much better now!

MashyMan
04/30/2008, 01:47 PM
Ouch! That sux Billy,
Glad you're ok.
I have to say though, it's quite impressive to go that many years sans accident. I had the same sort of situation 6 yrs ago in an old Caddy (not my '64 luckily)

Todd Adams
04/30/2008, 04:27 PM
State laws vary a little on this but in most states, the above statement is correct. I used to be an insurance adjuster....but I'm feeling much better now!
Linda ran into a kid a couple of years ago. He had a warrant out and wanted to leave before UHP got there. She had called me and I showed up to pull the bumper away from the tire so it didn't have to be towed. I talked the kid into sticking around. After Linda got her ticket the officer let her go but kept the kid. A month later we got a letter from the state asking if we wanted to collect damages from the kid. In Utah if you don't have insurance and you are hit you are responsible. Go figure. We decided since everything had been taken care of we did not to follow through, Hard to get blood out of a turnip. And he was not allowed to collect from our insurance even though Linda was at fault. It is a felony to leave an accident here. I don’t know about ARZ.
Todd

CoastieCosta567
04/30/2008, 09:32 PM
man i sorry to hear about this bro, at least your ok, and hope your VX will re back in shape in no time. i have to say, that one of my fears and no joking, is getting an accendent with my VX or totaling it.

WormGod
05/01/2008, 07:16 AM
Late seeing this. Dude.... do me a favor and back off! "I" am the only one allowed to wreck up VXs, hahaha.

Good luck on the speedy VX recovery. :cool:

VXIRONwoMAN
05/01/2008, 09:03 AM
Wow Billy! I am so sorry. I hope I don't ever find out what I would do in this situation... because it would probably not be good... I am glad to hear you are alright at least physically. And we are all here for the emotional part.

:flower:

Triathlete
05/01/2008, 12:46 PM
Well the news today does not look good for Moab. $5700 worth of damage. New radiator, condensor, grill (tabs broken), front cladding, new front skid plate (for some reason mine was bent :rolleyes: ) and a few other do-dads. Estimated date of return....2-20-08:mad: The shop guys are aware of my trip and are going to do their best to move that up. They are going to call me again and let me know about the availability of the parts. If they can get them quicker it will speed things up. They assured me that he has his "best man" on the job to help speed things up and because he knows how rare the VX is! Hopefully I will know by the end of the week a better time frame.

etlsport
05/01/2008, 12:49 PM
Well the news today does not look good for Moab. $5700 worth of damage. New radiator, condensor, grill (tabs broken), front cladding, new front skid plate (for some reason mine was bent :rolleyes: ) and a few other do-dads. Estimated date of return....2-20-08:mad: The shop guys are aware of my trip and are going to do their best to move that up. They are going to call me again and let me know about the availability of the parts. If they can get them quicker it will speed things up. They assured me that he has his "best man" on the job to help speed things up and because he knows how rare the VX is! Hopefully I will know by the end of the week a better time frame.

billy, sucks about the accident :cryb: sucks even more about the wait.. pretty cool that they are getting you your VX back 2 months ago though ;Db; hope they were wrong and have it back to you next week!

nfpgasmask
05/01/2008, 01:03 PM
BILLY!

THAT SUCKS!

I really hope they can pull it together for you by Moab!

:( Bart

Triathlete
05/01/2008, 01:05 PM
Ooops....typo! Just turn that 2 over and make it a 5 ;)

The shop boss is also saving me all the big "damaged" part...skid, cladding, grill!

tomdietrying
05/01/2008, 01:06 PM
Billy,
That's a lot of damage. I hope they can work a miracle for you. I'd hate to see you miss ZuZu again.
Peace.
Tom

Triathlete
05/01/2008, 01:12 PM
Billy,
That's a lot of damage. I hope they can work a miracle for you. I'd hate to see you miss ZuZu again.
Peace.
Tom

Not nearly as much i will hate to have to miss another one! I am crossing my fingers...

...but not holding my breath!

VehiGAZ
05/01/2008, 01:53 PM
Good luck Billy!

pbkid
05/01/2008, 07:44 PM
wow billy, thats horrible.....

you could always just do the radiator so it ran well and drive with no bumper :)

VXIRONwoMAN
05/02/2008, 10:46 AM
Not nearly as much i will hate to have to miss another one! I am crossing my fingers...

...but not holding my breath!

Just get a rental, drive out to Moab, and ride shotgun with all of us!!! You could play musical VX's when we come up to obstacles and ride in more VX's in one week than you ever thought possible!!! What do ya say??? ;)

Triathlete
05/02/2008, 01:01 PM
Won't be making the trip without the VX...don't think I could stay sane not driving.
The good news that will come from this is the next accident will be much better protected. The money saved will go towards some new armor in the form of front and rear rock bumpers and rock sliders. I will be contacting the guys at Stric9 and seeing what we can come up with. I will make sure that they make templates of the bumpers in case anyone else is interested (be aware they will require a LOT of front cladding trimming).

Jolly Roger VX'er
05/02/2008, 10:55 PM
Just heard about your misfortune...That Sucks! Hope they are wrong and you get your wheels back in time for Moab.
Was looking forward to seeing you pulverize the rocks ahead of me so I could tread lightly & count on your spotting skills!

Triathlete
05/02/2008, 11:01 PM
Thanks Jolly. I think this year is pretty much thrown in the bag. Fortunately there are a few others who have some great spotting skills that will be there!:cool:
Zeus, this trimming will not even include the wheel wells. I am thinking there will be no cladding below the turn signal lights! :bwgy:
Is it to early for me to start looking forward to next year?:rolleyes:

nocturnalVX
05/02/2008, 11:09 PM

Dang! Sorry to hear that you will be sitting this one out, but I am glad your spirit & attitude are still positive. I can't wait to see what your VX ends up looking like! See you next year (at the latest).

Triathlete
05/02/2008, 11:59 PM
Best part about next years ZuZoo is I will be officially RETIRED!

JoFotoz
05/05/2008, 10:01 AM
Man thats a BUMMER....

:mad:

jo

LittleBeast
05/05/2008, 10:17 AM
Thanks Jolly. I think this year is pretty much thrown in the bag. Fortunately there are a few others who have some great spotting skills that will be there!:cool:
Zeus, this trimming will not even include the wheel wells. I am thinking there will be no cladding below the turn signal lights! :bwgy:

Seriously though you could drive mine up and back and I will meet you there. But as of now looks like i probably can't go.

Triathlete
05/05/2008, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the offer LB. I will be skipping this year to rebuild and show up next year even better!:cool:
Good luck in your meet! You must be racing at BYU. I did Ironman Utah up in Provo. The run was through the campus and finished on the track. It is a nice area. Lots to do and see there if you have the time.

JoFotoz
05/05/2008, 12:39 PM
Billy...dont skip it!

Drive up with me...:cool:

Seriously....we can meet up on Sunday 11th...

...but I'll have to drop ya off on the way back in Vegas on Sunday 18th.

C'mon...:bgwp::bgwo:

jo

Triathlete
05/05/2008, 12:49 PM
Thanks Jo. But I have bagged the trip. Already rerouting the $$$ into the mods. I will be there next year. After this trip you'll want to be back :naughty:
Its addictive!

JoFotoz
05/05/2008, 12:58 PM
OK Billy...I was hoping to swipe a Pro...

.... to help this novice!

jo

Triathlete
05/21/2008, 11:56 AM
Well, the VX was suppose to be done today....BUT, the found an "airback code" had tripped so they neded to diagnose and reset that and then "clean it up". So, I get it back tomorow morning at 0800! FINALLY!:bwgy:

kodiak
05/21/2008, 12:11 PM
Good to hear!

cyronman
05/21/2008, 02:12 PM
That's good to hear Billy.

What an ordeal...and what perfectly BAD timing for it too.
Sorry you had to go through all that.

How long are you gonna hug her tomorrow when you get her back?
:p

Triathlete
05/21/2008, 11:12 PM
Hugs? Na! The old cladding is going to get an extreme trimming and then put back on the front end. Then it will be off to Stric9 for some new rock sliders and to design some front and rear rock bumpers. The new piece of cladding will go into storage in case its needed in the future!:smilewink

Triathlete
05/22/2008, 11:47 AM
Of course! Plus the axle being pushed out a bit. I will have them make it modifiable!

The VX is home and in the garage after a slight scare of them having it longer at the shop. After picking it up I got about 3 mils from the shop and the temp gauge shot up to uber hot!:mad: I turned it around and pulled i back in. The tech jumped right on it. When they fill the coolant the system must of had some air in it...they toppd it off and now its good as new. And the air conditioning which worked great before is now 10 times colder! A nice thing in the desert! This weekend I will be moding the old cladding!