PDA

View Full Version : Places to see around the Moab area..

Petos
04/29/2008, 10:22 AM
Hi, all!
I am leaving the US soon so plan to use the Moab trip as a chance to see more of this beautiful country.. As of now, the plan is the following:
May 10th - take off from Chicago
May 13th-14th - join the VX trail and one more trail
May 15th - 17th - travel around the area
May 19th - back in Chicago

Just wandering if you guys have any recommendations on the places for me to see/ visit on 15-17th? I plan Las Vegas and Grand Canyon for now but very open for options... I would prefer places with beautiful sceneries.. Any thoughts?

Much appreciated! :)

MSHardeman
04/29/2008, 10:59 AM
Petos,

I would recommend Arches National Park while you're there in Moab. Lots of beautiful scenery and some very interesting rock formations. Also, on your way back to Chicago if you're heading through Glenwood Springs (basically taking the same way back that you drove out here with the Chicago convoy) you can stop and hike Hanging Lake in Glenwood Canyon. It should be accessible by now, and it's a beautiful place.

That's my two cents.

Mark

crager34
04/29/2008, 11:32 AM
Take a drive South of town aways to State Route 211 and head into the Needles District of Canyonlands. Goto the Visitor's Center (not the outpost) and take the dirt road to the SW of the BLDG (it says 4x4 only, or something like that). Take it to the very end, something like 4 miles. Doesn't seem like much, but you will have to use your four wheel drive and creep (stock VX will do fine here). When you get to the end, walk to the edge. AMAZING views of Salt Creek and The Colorado River. This spot is indicative of what Canyonlands is all about; however, there is sooooo much more to see.

The above would be a good side trail to do along with Elephant Hill. Note - This would pretty much be an all day affair.

Dead Horse Point has a great view (no wheeling needed)

A nice all day drive to see this part of the country is: Moab South to the LaSal Junction (SR 46)(turns to 90 in Colorado) to 141 into Naturita, Co. Continue 141 through Slickrock, CO, onto HWY 491 just West of Dove Creek, CO. Head West, back into Utah, into Montecello, UT, then North on 191 back to Moab.

Ldub
04/29/2008, 02:31 PM
Monument Valley...you'll have flashbacks to almost every old western movie you've ever seen.:cool:

nfpgasmask
04/29/2008, 03:19 PM
Petos, you are welcome to join me and my wife on Thursday (May 15th). We are going to explore Goblin Valley. I believe it is about 45 minutes away from downtown Moab. A few other VXers will be coming along as well I think.

Grand Canyon is awesome, but very touristy if you go to the south end, but I have heard the north ridge is where you want to go. I would say, if you have the time, try to get to Bryce Canyon as well. I have never been there but I have only heard good things.

Bart

uncle_asa
04/29/2008, 08:54 PM
I'd suggest the following route: Monument Valley - Antelope Canyon - Grand Canyon North Rim - Las Vegas - Grand Canyon South Rim - Petrified Forest / Painted Desert.

Petos
05/02/2008, 11:49 AM
Cool stuff, gentlemen, super-useful advice, as usual...:thumbup: will be spending the week-end with a road map :)