PDA

View Full Version : Electric Polisher/Buffer Tool ?

VX4EJR
04/24/2008, 10:04 AM
Soo, I did the search thingy on here and couldn't find anything.

Has anyone explored, purchased or have an electric polisher/buffer tool they use on the VX?

I'm looking for one, many makes and models to choose from but narrowed down to these based on a moderate price range:
-Meguiars G110 Polisher
-Porter Cable 7424 Polisher
-Griot's Garage Random Orbital 10925

My main goals with using one would be:
1) ability to obviously wax and buff the VX painted sheet metal.
2) capability of lightly "scrubbing" in any protectant spray to cladding, rather than hand wiping for hours.
3) the tool isn't too loud or would leave your ears half deaf after long use.
4) good quality, dependable, etc etc without breaking the bank.

Thoughts, opinions, etc?

Triathlete
04/24/2008, 10:55 AM
Bob (VXCver has one from when he was in the auto body business that we used to buff all the scratches out of my VX before a car show a few years back. Don't know the brand/model but if no one else chimes in drop him a note.
Lots of auto body guys on here so I'm sure you'll get som more responses.

SilverBullet75
04/24/2008, 05:55 PM
No laughing...

I bought mine from Harbor Freight... $30.
Added pads that I bought from Lowes... and waLah!
I've used it MANY times on different cars... does great.
Has variable speed too!

Cobrajet
04/24/2008, 06:10 PM
I've got the Porter Cable 7335 Random Orbit Buffer, similar to this one (http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=14767&itemType=PRODUCT), from The Eastwood Company. I've had mine for several years and bought it specifically to use on the VX. It works great! Highly recommended.

Joe_Black
04/24/2008, 06:45 PM
You definitely want variable speed and the larger size as the smaller ones, say six inches or less, can build up too much speed meaning heat which can bugger your paint. I've had a Snap-On brand from when I had a restoration shop 17 years ago and it's been super, needing only a bearing replaced in all that time and use. It's best feature was a dial for variable speed limit, so you could vary the speed with the trigger up to what the dial was set at. Whenever I got a new detailer that kept him out of trouble! ;)

As for pads and compounds, stop by your local auto body supplier and you can get the "good stuff" there like 3M machine compounds and any variety of finishes. We used Meguairs commercial products in my shops along with some specialty items available from the supplier, such as swirl remover for use on really dark finishes like black. You'll get what you need there as well as proper advice on what to get and how to use. Just remember to go slow, watch the corners as heat builds fast there, pop the hood when hitting it and don't dig into panel gaps.

DO NOT USE ON CLADDING! It's a pain, but hand application can't be beaten on polpropylene parts.

rickshaw
04/24/2008, 11:04 PM
http://www.deltaportercable.com//ProductImages/PC_Graphics/PHOTOS/PORTER-CABLE/TOOLS/LARGE/7/7424_1.jpg

I own the Porter Cable 7424 Polisher, I've had it for about 7 years without a problem. I bought from Amazon.com (No Tax & Free Shipping). I didn't use the Polishing Pad that came with it, instead I used Meguiar's Rotary Buffer Backing Plate (W64-5) with Meguiar's Soft Buff™ Foam Polishing Pads (W8006) also Meguiar's Softbuff® Foam Finishing Pads (W9006).

I would definitely recommend the Porter Cable 7424 for Polishing but I have never used it for waxing. I use Meguiar's Polishing Products, Machine Glaze 3, Show Car Glaze 7 and Swirl Remover 9. Then I Hand apply 4 coats of Zaino's Z-2 PRO Show Car Polish with ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator.
http://www.zainostore.com/
Before Polishing I wash with Dawn dish wash soap, this removes the old wax and then I use Meguiar's Clay Bar while the car is still wet

Like Joe Black said, Stay away from the cladding. I even would tape it off.

Hope that helps.
2001 Dragon #0467

Y33TREKker
04/25/2008, 08:15 AM
I have a 10" slow speed electric orbital buffer I use on my car, but I bought a 6" for use on the VX since the body panels don't have as much overall area. They aren't the fanciest, or latest and greatest, but I've found that the compounds and pads are where your money is best spent. For clearcoat finishes, sponge pads and a good clearcoat polish will give paint that "always wet" look. The clearcoat polish I use is the type used by professional body shops, so you have to get it at something like an autobody supply store, but it shouldn't run more than $20/quart. #051131-05993 is the actual 3M part# I've used with success. It's safe for use by hand or machine.

tom4bren
04/25/2008, 08:22 AM
"I've got the Porter Cable 7335 Random Orbit Buffer, similar to this one, from The Eastwood Company. I've had mine for several years and bought it specifically to use on the VX. It works great! Highly recommended."

I thought you only used a feather duster:)